Chapter 3 – Crimson Dyed Tablecloth
544 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I lay against the apple tree in the mansion grounds and yawned. The grass was warm, and the tree partially shaded me, allowing some heat to reach my prone body.

“It’s becoming more frequent, my dreams of the past.”

A world with concrete buildings and cars, of technology.

Since the day I had accidentally stumbled on that crater and seen what seemed to be an innocent sword laying there, since I had accidentally picked up the Holy Sword--there were only battles.

To prevent the destruction of the world, because of the coming Demon Lord, I had to slay countless Monsters.

Instead of being able to attend school with friends, I had to fight for my life--to struggle through numerous battles.

I inadvertently sighed as I remembered my past life, which came to me in my dreams.

“It always comes back, just as I am finally going to forget.”

I lean back and lock my fingers, stretching my arms. Ahh, the feeling of muscles stretching and joints clicking into place, is quite pleasing.

“Well, there doesn’t seem to be any need to repeat my past--I will try to live peacefully this life.” I repeated this mantra.

No matter how much I wanted to relax however, after many years of fighting--I was getting bored. The first 10 years felt like heaven, when I could do nothing, when I could relax. But, recently, things had been too quiet…I found myself missing the thrill of combat.

“...Young Master, Young Master!”

A voice called my attention back to the present, as I opened my eyes.

Usually I would nap during the day--since the nightmares, the memories, would usually only appear at night. Everyone thought that I slept day and night, but my nights were restless.

 

“Dear Lord! Are you sleeping again?!”

He didn’t know, so I couldn’t fault him--though his scoldings did get a little annoying.

I lay there with my eyes shut, an appeal for him to just allow me to sleep.

“Time may have taken much from me, but I can still tell the difference between truth and lies.”

I sighed, but still kept my eyes shut and hoped.

“I have been serving you for almost 20 years. You should stop that act of yours and get up. It’s almost time for dinner.”

Fine.

“Ahh, is that so?” I asked, opening my eyes and standing up--at least I managed to get enough sleep that tonight’s restlessness won’t affect me too badly.

“It seems…you did not train today, either.”

I didn’t respond, like always.

“I am sure you will see your potential, if you would just try.”

The nagging began, again.

“Just, what is the reason?”

“Hey, what do you think today’s dinner will be?” I futilely tried to change the subject.

“In terms of wisdom, you would easily surpass both of your brothers! The others may be oblivious, but I know that Young Master is…”

“Lazy?” I sometimes teased the old man, to get back at him for his almost constant nagging and scolding.

“No! Not at all!” His face was going bright red, almost as though steam would start pouring from his ears, “Ha…Honestly! Do you know how angry I was at those bastards in Iffa village?!”

Ian had closed his eyes and stomped his feet in anger.

I had already taken a distance from him, before he could realize.

Ian followed behind me, constantly mumbling…though I just tuned him out--he was too old, and couldn’t control his temper as well as when he was young…maybe he should retire from being a butler?

***

“Honestly, Lady Iris! Please discipline Master Riley. He still will not even touch the sword--it’s almost as if he is trying to become a wizard.”

“What’s so wrong with that, Ian?”

Within the second dining room of the mansion, there are only three people.

A beautiful woman, who looked much younger than she really was, with long black hair and green eyes stared at me--her son--who was sitting opposite her.

When my eyes met hers, I smiled back at her.

My mother was the only person in the mansion who could understand me, she would listen attentively when I told her my dreams--she considered them to be absurd stories or nightmares--but she still listened, and tried to comfort me when I was upset.

She was a great mother, truly wishing for my happiness, despite my lack of effort to learn the swordsmanship of the house--she was almost the polar opposite of the woman who was my mother in my first life.

“Haah, the same goes for you, My Lady.” Ian sighed.

“Oh? What do you mean?” She wasn’t bothered by his words, though they were too disrespectful for a normal butler.

“Young Master is already 18 years old, he is an adult. How long will you continue to accept his childish behaviour? It is time to be more strict with him. And there is also the issue about the successor.” Ian sighed, his thin shoulders rolling down, “Aren’t you angry? Both of the other sons, and Lady Orelly would visit you in their spare time--just to ridicule you. Those rude…ingrates.”

“Ian, watch your language, we’re still in the mansion…” Iris made a shushing gesture, though she did smile at his description of the other members of the family.

“No, I will say it. The two of you…need some ambition. Don’t you want to get back at them?” Ian began his complaint, “Instead of talking about your weird dreams?”

When Ian raised his voice at me, and I rolled my eyes.

“Weird dream, you say--but you still find it interesting right?” I replied to him, trying not to let his annoying nagging get to me--even with the several centuries fighting the Demon Lord and being a hero…this man tested my patience.

“Huh? Yeah, it is interesting…Wait, that’s not the point!”

Seeing that asking me didn’t work, Ian turned back to Iris, “You know how smart the Young Master is, My Lady.”

He began trying to appeal my good points--I was unsure what he was getting at, but my mother seemed pleased with hearing about them, a proud glint in her eyes.

He spoke of how I was the fastest when it came to learning how to speak, how to read and write.

He then went on about how my learning skills were beyond my age--what he didn’t know was that this was my second life, and my Soul was already several centuries old.

I don’t know if he was praising, or complaining about, my ability to disappear from the mansion whenever something came up--I would only reappear once the annoyance had passed.

Iris was nodding along with a massive smile and sparkling eyes…she enjoyed the praise much more than I did. She obviously knew how different I was, about my dreams and how I spoke differently than others my age--I was told I was mature, even when I was young in my first life.

“His wisdom can be put to use for the sword as well! I have spoken to you before about his unprecedented talent…”

“Ian.” Iris cut off Ian’s words, “I am happy as long as Riley is.”

It seems that my actions didn’t bother her.

“Haaah…” Ian let out a huge sigh, his shoulders drooping even further as he finally realized that he had failed to convince her.

“Ian, it’s my life. I will take care of it.” I smiled at Iris, silently thanking her for stopping Ian’s nagging.

Iris suddenly started coughing, which at first I though may be because soup went down the wrong pipe--but her coughs soon became rougher. She didn’t stop, even after some time, and having a glass of water.

I was starting to get worried, “…Mother?”

She covered her mouth with one hand, while waving the other to indicate that she was okay.

But, I noticed something on her shaking hand.

“Mother, your hand…”

 Her expression worsened when she looked at her hands.

Red.

Blood soaked her hands, dripping down onto the white tablecloth.

“Mother!!” I anxiously stood up, but quickly noticed someone else watching us. Anger surged through me, but I quickly and efficiently tamped it down.

“Huhuhu…”

The laughter was quite distant, but I could hear them, and then I saw it--I saw that after leaving a ridiculing laugh, the first wife, Orelly faded into the distance.

5