Chapter 5 – Night Guest (Part 1)
525 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stood in the training ground of the Iphelleta mansion, within the dark field.

The feeling of a sword in my hand again after 18 years felt a little strange, a little awkward, but I knew I wouldn’t need long to get readjusted to it.

Staring at the straw dummy in front of me, I couldn’t help but sigh as old feelings began rise in me…

The nightmares next time I sleep will be especially bad…I may even dream of her--the one I fell in love with, the one who sacrificed herself so I could kill the Demon Lord--she teleported him into the upper atmosphere alongside me.

Shaking the image of the beautiful woman with blue-black hair out of my head, I spread my feet to shoulder width.

My stance was much different than the one that was taught in my House--but it was one that I was much more practiced with.

Controlling my breathing, I charged towards the dummy and struck it--making it emit a dull noise. I had contained all my rage and killing intent in the strike; I had long learned how to vent my emotions…though it took a lot of trauma and several decades to get the procedure correct.

A new mark could be seen on the dummy, a faint mark, but it could be considered good--to people who thought that this was my first time swinging my sword.

“Young…Master?” Ian spoke up uncertainly after seeing my attack; it obvious lacked compared to his expectations.

But, he didn’t know what that attack actually entailed, he didn’t see the true effects--I had hidden them, because I didn’t want him figuring it out just yet.

“P-Please, try again!” He shook his head and pleaded again.

“Well, this should do.” I ignored him and muttered to myself, speaking quietly, I tossed the wooden blade onto the ground.

“Young Master?”

“That’s it. I’m bored.”

Even though I disliked the old man, I felt bad for getting his hopes up--just to dash them.

Ian stretched out an arm towards me with a surprised expression, “W-Where are you going?”

“The library. I’ll just read until I fall asleep.”

Ian bit his lips as his eyes stayed glued to the wooden sword on the ground. He looked like he wanted to speak, but he just began to mutter to himself--to be honest, I expected him to start nagging, but he seemed to consider my worry for Iris; for once he just shrugged and accepted my decision.

***

“He changes his mind like a girl changes her clothing.”

“Really?”

In a room, shrouded in darkness, a woman wearing a white dress turned her head.

Behind her was a hooded man with his head lowered; dressed completely in black, he followed her like a shadow.

“How was his skill?” The woman asked disinterestedly as she looked away from the man and out a moonlit window.

“His skill was…” The hooded figure paused momentarily, “Atrocious.”

The woman stayed silent, standing perfectly still. She looked like a work of art as the moonlight bathed her ice-like white skin, her dress seeming to glow.

“I do not know if these words would fit a man of the Iphelleta House, but his talent with a blade was nonexistent. The strike he displayed was the perfect example of a novice.”

The woman smirked upon hearing the man’s report.

“Well, what did you expect? He is the famous Master Lazy-Blade.”

As she spoke to herself, the man tilted his head and asked a question, “Then, the rumours are true? That he has never swung a sword?”

“Yes, it’s true.”

“Huh.” The man, an assassin hired by the woman, sighed in disbelief.

Anyone in the Iphelleta House could become successful by wielding a sword. In such a family, he was born as the third child, and did nothing.

And, when he finally changed his mind at the age of 18…he threw away the sword after realizing that it had little effect.

How useless.

What a pathetic child.

“It didn’t seem like he has a weak body either. How shameless and pathetic…incompetent.” The man stood up while complaining and clicking his tongue.

His missions here were completed: The first being to deliver the poison for the soup; the second was to stalk the third son.

“Then, I shall take my leave.

“Yes, well done. Do send my regards to Father.”

“He has been complaining about not being able to see you more often.”

“Alright, I’ll visit soon.”

As the woman waved her hand, the man disappeared into the darkness, as if melting into the floor.

The woman returned to gazing up at the moon, and her bell-like laugh echoed in the room, “I was worried for nothing, silly me.”

Orelly smirked as the flames of jealousy burning in her heart finally calmed down a little.

***

In a corridor of the Iphelleta mansion, the hooded man snuck through the corridor--he was especially careful to avoid detection by the Master of the House.

Suddenly he turned his head, seemingly able to feel the intense bloodlust from behind him.

Mana suddenly gathered around him, the shape seemed to be to enable him to detect all the life in the mansion.

“Who is it?” He turned and asked.

There was no answer.

“Am I mistaken? No, it can’t be.”

He was obviously a veteran in his line of work.

So, he lowered his stance and raised his guard, causing tension to fill the still air of the dark corridor. He soon frowned in frustration, since the source of bloodlust was getting closer.

“Oi, if you keep this up, both-” The hooded man tried to speak, but held his breath in the next instant as the bloodlust spiked.

“...!”

“I thought a rat got inside.”

Step, step.

Footsteps were now audible and getting closer.

“A guest so late in the night?”

“...”

“If I recall correctly, there weren’t any arrangements for guests at this late an hour.”

While the voice, and footsteps, could be heard--there was no presence to be detected.

The hooded man was starting to get nervous, he seemed to be trying to think if there was a senior of his stationed in the estate.

“It looked like you came out of Lady Orelly’s room.”

Finally, I showed myself--for of course, I was the invisible voice.

“...Y-You are?!” The hooded man’s jaw dropped, stretching the black mask that covered his face.

“Let’s have a chat.”

“Riley?!” The hooded man’s eyes opened wide in shock.

5