Chapter 21 – Journey To The Capital (Part 1)
421 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Have you two packed everything you need?”

“Yes, seems like it.”

My mother and I were standing at the mansion’s gate, our clothing was suitable for traveling.

“But…Will Sera and I really be enough?” Ian was asking.

“That’s right. In my opinion, I wish for--two more to follow us.” Sera nodded.

To keep up my facade I pretended that I was bored of standing in the sunlight, I started walking towards the carriage.

Ian sighed as he watched me shamble my way into the carriage.

“The Capital, I mean it’s good that you’re going. But why must you act so--”

“Ian. Please. One thing at a time.” Sera gave Ian a sneer and poked him in the ribs with her elbow, and then bowed her head.

I could see all of this through the window in the carriage door.

Stein had personally come to the gates in order to bid his farewells to the two leaving for the capital.

“Are your preparations finished?”

“Yes!” Iris replied before Ian or Sera could say anything.

Stein looked dissatisfied when his eyes met mine through the thin glass window.

Unable to hide her smile, Iris began to console her husband, “It’s my first vacation with my son, so please don’t break the mood with your jealousy.”

“Who’s jealous--”

“You are jealous, aren’t you?”

“--Hmph.” Stein snorted with his arms crossed.

“Since you’re going with him, make sure Riley actually competes--”

“Stein.” Iris narrowed her eyes and called Stein’s name.

Stein, with his sentence cut short, looked at Iris’ eye and flinched. For a woman who’d never practiced swordsmanship to have such charisma, it wasn’t fair.

“I won’t force him to do it. It’s a vacation. We’re just going sightseeing--as I said before. Wasn’t that the condition?”

The condition for me to go to the Capital was that I didn’t have to ‘compete’, but rather to just ‘watch’ the Tournament--which meant I didn’t need to fight.

“Well, I will suggest it to him.” Iris made a small laugh as she stepped onto the carriage, I opened the door for her.

 

It was time to leave.

 

“Then, Ian, Sera.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I will leave their safety to you.” As Iris got into the carriage, Stein called out to Ian and Sera, who were standing by.

 

Ian and Sera bowed at the same time--then began to move the baggage.

 

Even though it was a Count Family trip to the Capital, the baggage was quite light.

 

“--Then, we shall take out leave.”

 

It seems that they decided to take turns leading the horses, with Ian on the driver’s seat and Sera is inside the carriage.

 

With a crack of the whip, the two horses began to move.

 

***

The carriage that we were riding to the Capital had a simple design.

 

Since the current season was spring, we left the windows open.

 

“It’s been a while since I visited Solia, I’m excited!” Sera spoke with a wide smile.

 

“Solia?”

 

“Ah, I forgot to tell you. Solia is the name of the Capital. The Capital has a name and it is ‘Solia’, kind of like ‘Iffa’ for Iffa village.”

 

“Oh? I wasn’t aware of that. I thought that it was just called ‘the Capital’.”

 

“Well, that’s to be expected, since you haven’t left our domain. You better get used to it soon. When we arrive, you will hear ‘Solia’ rather than ‘the Capital’.” Sera began to explain Solia with a bright smile.

 

Iris remembered something, “Now that you mention it, you’re from the Capital right?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Twenty minutes had passed since we had departed from the mansion.

 

I had been looking out the window with my chin on my hand, barely listening, but I looked up and glanced at Sera. Her story about the Capital sounded like it would be much more interesting than the view of Iffa village.

 

Sera was already smiling with excitement, “Everyone’s so lively, and there’s so many things to see. This is the first time you two are visiting Solia, right?”

 

“Correct.” I could help smiling when I answered her--her grin was so infectious.

 

“Then you should look forward to it. Solia is a really good place, I can assure that it will be a wonderful memory. With your permission, allow me to be your guide!”

 

I accepted her request with a nod, then asked a question, “The Capital--no, Solia should be filled with people, right? I’m not too good with crowds.”

 

“Hmm, it is true that the central plaza is crowded. It is a four-way intersection which splits the Capital into four districts--it’s also the best place to hear the most recent gossip of the castle. Other than that, it should be fine. Young Master, you should be able to handle it.”

 

Solia was so large that it was divided into the upper, lower, left, and right sections…also: North, South, West, and East.

 

The East, South, and West districts were where most of the commoners and merchants lived.

 

I remember seeing it in a book; a picture of a circle that was split into four equal parts. The map had the upper area, or North district, was called ‘The Palace’.

 

“So, where did you live, Sera?”

 

Among the baggage, there was also a map of Solia, and Iris handed it to Sera as she asked the question.

 

As she looked at the map Iris handed her--pointing her finger and smiling. She was pointing at the ‘left district’ the West District.

 

“Here, West Solia.”

 

“It was named like that so it was easier to organize.” She trailed her finger right, then down, “This is called Southern Solia, and this is East Solia. Ah! The upper section is technically named North Solia, but everyone calls it the Solia Castle; that is our final objective, where the Tournament will be held.”

 

“Wow, so it’s that big?” When Iris exclaimed in awe, I couldn’t help but whisper: ‘that’s what she said’, they didn’t hear.

 

“It is a city, not to mention the Capital! A major city holding the Palace! You can’t compare it to our mansion or Iffa village.”

 

As Sera was trying to build our anticipation, Ian, who was driving the carriage, peeked back and joined in on the conversation, “I’ve been to the Capital a few times myself. Not only are there things to see, there is delicious food as well.”

 

“Really?!” Iris’ cheeks flushed with anticipation.

 

Unlike my mother, it didn’t excite me as much. I rarely eat for fun, or the taste most of the time--just to survive. Though I recently ate some popcorn, so it’s not a rule.

 

“Actually, concerning that  ‘dream’ you have mentioned before, Young Master.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Among the snacks in Solia, there is something similar to what you’ve told me--about the dream.”

 

“Something similar?”

 

“Yes, what was it? Carbonated drinks, was it?” He paused to glance around, “When you drink it, you can feel bubbles pop in your throat. You mentioned a drink that was sweet, cold, sweet, and when you drink it with ice--it’s very good.”

 

Soft drinks?

 

They exist in this world…good to know--I always liked them; but the most important ingredient, caffeine, I don’t know if they have that or an equivalent substance here.

 

“Well, you did say that it was a dream, so I’m not sure if it’s the same as what you told me about but--there is something like it.”

6