Chapter 67 – Picking a Fight (Part 2)
298 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“That girl, it seems that there may be something more to her than meets the eye.” Ryan stroked his chin.

These were the words that Ryan said as soon as Lloyd explained to him what he had seen the day before.

“I have no idea how she did it. It’s intriguing.” Lloyd narrowed his eyes, churning his mind as he tried to think of possible explanations.

“How was her form?”

“Her form was good--but it was a very basic stance.”

Ryan’s eyes narrowed and he pinched his chin, thinking, “In that case…It couldn’t be that she is just powerful, or good at waving her hand around. The most plausible explanation would be that she used Mana without realizing it.”

She’s a maid who claims to have never held a sword in her life--yet she somehow sliced the training dummy in half? In one strike…and on top of that, it was a clean cut?

Ryan, who was mumbling, had a serious expression on his face.

I had a bad feeling about this all along, but where did he find a maid like that…

The story had already spread all over the mansion, the story of Nainiae cutting the training dummy in half. Even Stein was interested, he had his eyes on Nainiae.

Ryan was worried that this situation would result in Riley getting high points in the successor competition.

“What should we do?” Lloyd asked Ryan.

Ryan was struck by the feeling that he had to make a quick decision.

“Should I put pressure…on her?” Lloyd asked carefully--which was understandable, since he was still being watched to make sure he didn’t traumatize any more maids--and Stein was watching Nainiae.

Ryan was holding himself back from giving a reply.

It was at that moment.

The closed door slammed open and Annabelle stormed in, judging from her red face, it didn’t look the she came with good news.

“Annabelle?”

“Sister in Law?”

Shocked by Annabelle’s sudden entrance, Ryan and Lloyd called out to her.

Her high heels making clicking noises on the floor, Annabelle walked rapidly and plummeted onto the sofa, frustration written all over her body.

“Did something happen outside?”

“Big bro, there’s no need to even guess. It must have been Riley--he must have done something bad to her…”

“...No.” Annabelle spoke, interrupting Lloyd.

Lloyd looked at Annabelle in confusion.

“There wasn’t an incident--like that…” She said, before biting her lips.

‘...it would be best if you didn’t touch my Young Master. Of course, I would like to also advise you against running your mouth.’

Those where to words that she had heard from Nainiae just now, in the corridor. She ran into Nainiae again in the corridor, and the maid threatened her.

It appeared that Nainiae was a Mage who had been hiding her identity.

The image of Nainiae threatening her with a large ball of black flame floating above her hand floated into Annabelle’s head, causing her shoulders to shiver.

‘I heard that you’re a daughter of a famous House, however…that doesn’t matter to me. I act only for the sake of my master--no matter what it takes.’

Annabelle was half scared, and half furious.

That girl, she is just a lowly commoner--yet she dared to talk to me like that?!

The thought dominated Annabelle’s mind.

‘I’ll only warn you once--if you pester my master again, I’ll demonstrate my abilities.’

She is just a maid, but she dared to make threats to a daughter of nobility?

This was the first time that Annabelle had been threatened--she felt that there wasn’t anything more humiliating than this.

(Author’s Note: Oh, Riley could do much more humiliating things to this innocent girl…But he won’t; no MC of mine will rape (though they would use slaves, and aphrodisiacs--neither are rape, because the girl agrees…or even asks him, in the case of the Aphrodisiacs) no matter how cathartic it may be.)

Although Lloyd couldn’t tell, Ryan noticed that Annabelle’s shoulders were shivering--however, he had no idea to the cause.

So, although I don’t know how many Circles she has, she says she is a Mage, right?

Annabelle firmly grasped the sofa’s armrest.

Recalling that Nainiae didn’t seem to want to use her number of Circles in her threat, Annabelle made up her mind.

I don’t know where she learned Magic, but I don’t think she could be above Fourth Circle.

Though, Annabelle knew that a Third or Fourth Circle Mage could easily kill her, and that was why the threat was so effective--which was the reason why Annabelle was so infuriated.

A Fifth Circle, or above, Mage is enough to kill Nainiae.

“Excuse me, Young Master Ryan.” Annabelle spoke sweetly, now smiling.

“Yes?”

“May I use a homing pigeon…for a personal reason?”

“A homing pigeon?”

“Yes!” Annabelle smiled wider as she enthusiastically answered.

***

After several days have passed, I , who had been finding excuses for not having to talk to Annabelle--was forced to go and see her, since she was about to leave.

“...I know you have been trying to avoid her, I have no idea why, but you can’t do that--Ms. Annabelle is a daughter of a noble family. Sorry son, but you will have to go meet her at least once.” Iris said in an apologetic tone.

So, I was only here because of my beloved Mother’s request.

I was walking along the corridor with Iris, she gave my shoulder a squeeze, with an apologetic expression.

This was going to be very irritating--meeting Annabelle in an official capacity.

“Ugh…”

Watching me scratch my head and let out an irritated groan, Iris sighed and continued, “I don’t blame you for what you said, Ian explained it to me. Since it’s dinner time, we will be joining her for dinner--and you need to apologize to her properly, do you understand?”

I felt like getting rid of Ian for telling Iris about my interaction with the annoying noble girl.

When I responded with a nod and quick ‘yes’, Iris smiled and rubbed my head, mussing my hair--before pausing and carefully rearranging it.

After walking for about three more minutes, we arrived in front of Annabelle’s room. Iris turn and inspected me closely with narrowed eyes, with a firm nod, she fixed my clothing.

She nodded again, this time with a smile, she turned and knocked on the door.

“Who is it?” A voice calls out from within.

“Ms. Annabelle, it’s Iris.”

“...Oh!” A surprised response came from inside.

The clicking sounds of high heels on the stone ground rang out a few times, then the door opened and Annabelle revealed herself.

“Lady Iris, welco-…”

Annabelle’s eyes met mine, since I still stood right next to Iris--her voice stopped for a moment and her cheeks twitched.

However, soon, as if nothing happened, she greeted both of us with a refreshing smile, “Welcome! Young Master Riley, you are here too?”

“Yes. I was wondering if you would like to join us for dinner. You haven’t had dinner already, right?” I responded with a small grin.

Having seen this, Annabelle responded with an even wider smile, as if she was trying to compete with me, “Of course.”

Iris and I lead the way to the dining room, meanwhile, Annabelle stood still and just watched us--almost imperceptibly, her face started to twitch.

Nainiae, who was sticking right beside me, casually turned her head and looked at Annabelle. She narrowed her eye as it met Annabelle’s, making sure Annabelle knew Nainiae was watching her closely.

Annabelle tightly grabbed her skirt.

“Nainiae, Sera is in charge of the kitchen today, right?” Iris, who was in the front of the procession, asked.

Having heard the question, Nainiae immediately changed the look on her face and lowered her head, “Yes, Lady Iris. For today’s dinner…”

Nainiae summarized what had been made for dinner.

Meanwhile, Annabelle was following us from the back, as she stared intently at Nainiae’s back.

We finally arrived at the dining room--it felt like it took an eternity, since I was paying close attention to Annabelle…The way she stared at Nainiae made me cautious.

It looked like Stein, Ryan, and Lloyd had already come by and left the dining room--there were a few maids and butlers carrying empty dishes.

“Annabelle, I’m sorry about what happened before. I’m really dense, so…haha.”

I spoke as I cut into my food with a knife.

Nainiae glanced at my face--and Iris patted my shoulder. It was as though I was the one who was suffering, being comforted by two beautiful women.

“...I-It’s fine.” Annabelle responded politely with a smile, but her hand tightened around her knife as she viciously cut the meat on her plate.

“So, when are you going back?” Iris asks.

Since I had gone quiet and was eating, I would only make things much worse if I butted in. I was bored, so with a tiny grin--I lowed one hand, and hiding it behind the hanging edge of the tablecloth, placed it on Nainiae’s warm, soft thigh.

At my touch, she looked at me, a slight pink colour in her cheek. She lowered one of her hands and placed it on top of mine--she wasn’t trying to stop me, but affectionately entwining her small fingers with mine.

“Ah, I think I will be heading back as soon as the carriage from the family arrives. I’m not in any position to stay here for long, and I have some personal matters to handle.” Annabelle answered Iris’ question.

She had two personal matters.

The first of which was investigating the Tes Trading Company--which was the favour that Ryan asked of her.

“Excuse me. A carriage has arrived at the mansion.” A butler walked into the room, bowed politely for a few seconds, before speaking.

“Ah!” Annabelle’s face brightened.

The second personal matter was about the Fifth Circle Mage that she had called--she wanted him to obliterate Nainiae.

“It must be the carriage from my family?”

She planned on exposing that a mere maid had threatened her, using that to corner Riley and make him lose the competition for Iphelleta House’s successorship--she was doing this to help her fiance, Ryan.

“No, it isn’t from the Morgred House.” The butler spoke again.

“...Pardon?”

“It is a carriage from the Solia Temple.”

“Solia…Temple?” Annabelle tilted her head in confusion.

“Ah, is it because of that?” I asked, looking up from my food--but not releasing Nainiae.

Annabelle looked over at me with confusion.

The butler, who had come in to tell everyone about the carriage from the Temple, left the scene.

Immediately after the butler left, an old man in white walked in--it was the High Priest.

“Oh my? High Priest Rebethra?” Iris spoke first.

“Lady Iris. Have you been well?” The old man speaks in a friendly tone.

“Young Master Riley, and…” The High Priest bowed his head to Nainiae, who was still sitting next to me, “Ms. Nainiae…It’s been a while.”

Annabelle was surprised that he had addressed the maid so respectfully.

2