Chapter 77 – Nara Basilisk (Part 4)
135 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nainiae was going to do what she did best, she was going to use Magic--instead of the sword, which she had only just started learning.

This meant that Basilisk wasn’t just some nobody, he actually had the ability to push her.

So, what should I start with?

Nainiae started to think as she fixed the wrinkles in her maid dress; she pointed her sword towards Basilisk, so as to not alert him about her sudden change in tactics.

It was a slightly difficult question, because of all the Magic she knew--from the weak single-target 1st Circle Spells, all the way to 6th Circle Spells that could completely annihilate entire city blocks.

The corner of her mouth began to curl up.

That’s right…Master is here and watching me--

She casually turned her head, her eye meeting Riley’s, he had his head resting on his hand as he watched her through the window of the nearby carriage.

This may be a good time to show him an example for his next time studying.

Having deciding what Magic to use, Nainiae silently chanted the Key Word, and then charged forward.

“...Haste.

Basilisk was standing still, his wooden spear resting on his shoulder as he watched Nainiae--when she suddenly darted towards him at a much higher speed.

“...What?!”

Unlike before, her speed had increased to the point where Basilisk could only see her movements--he didn’t have time to react; hurriedly, but without enough time to properly react, he swung his spear and barely managed to block Nainiae’s sword.

In the blink of an eye, Nainiae struck four times with her sword.

Basilisk clicked his tongue, suddenly changing his combat style, swinging his spear in a large motion, like a windmill, “Get off me!”

Nainiae, her eye narrowed in concentration, bounced off the spinning spear and charged in again. With her right hand behind her back, Nainiae was perfectly replicating the movements that she had learned from her lessons with Sara.

Watching her, Basilisk’s look changed--he felt that he needed to do something different.

The violent sounds of wooden weapons colliding was echoing all through the surroundings.

Everyone, except Riley, were watching the duel intently; they even forgot to breathe as they tensed.

“Judging from your moves, it seems like you have the basics down. However, you don’t seem to know--a soldier doesn’t only fight with his weapon.” Basilisk said.

He started to move differently, not only swinging his spear, he started to attack with his legs. Having gotten used to Nainiae’s swordplay, even with the increased speed, he could block her with his spear--so, he unleashed a large kick.

Because of this unexpected strike, Nainiae was hit on the side, she cringed; her sword arm faltered.

Noticing this, Basilisk took the chance, swinging his spear towards Nainiae.

She took a step back, murmuring a Spell--disappearing, and reappearing 10m away from him.

“I think that’s enough of a lesson. So, why don’t we stop here?” Nainiae spoke calmly.

“What…” Basilisk laughed, thinking that she was speaking nonsense, “Ha. You are ridiculous. What if I refuse?”

“...Fire Storm.” Nainiae raised her hand.

After less than a second, small balls of black fire gathered in the air behind her. They were only ping-pong ball-sized, and several dozen of them.

“I already knew that you were a Mage, I have fought enough Magic-users.” Basilisk said, changing his stance.

His wooden spear started to glow as he pumped Mana into it, the air shimmered around the length of wood, “Bring it on.”

There was a huge grin on his face.

Nainiae rolled her eyes, thrusting her hands forwards, her slim fingers moving dexterously, as though she was directing a symphony. The fireballs whistled and crackled, darting through the air like birds--they would swerve around Basilisk’s spear.

Basilisk broke out in a cold sweat as he barely managed to dodge the guided fireballs, occasionally he managed to deflect one--but Nainiae would just flick a finger, causing it to swerve back at Basilisk.

It was only because of his long-time work as a mercenary that he had lasted that long.

Air Hammer” Nainiae spoke with a grin.

Her fireballs managed to keep Basilisk pinned down as she cast an Air Hammer. The attack hit him square in the chest, causing him to cringe and collapse to the ground; he got up immediately, fixing his stance, before charging back toward Nainiae.

Nainiae looked at him, her fireballs uninterrupted and rapidly stopping Basilisk’s charge--forcing him to drop back into a defensive stance.

Basilisk, as he kept trying to break the blockage, suddenly went pale. He felt a deadly aura, as though something was about to slice through his neck.

Before he had noticed, Nainiae raised her right hand to her left shoulder, her hand was shaped like a blade. Her stance was like she was going to chop through the air, and something would come out or something would be cut.

Basilisk suddenly felt like he would die if she swung that petite hand.

He hurried pulled back his current thrust and retreated.

At the same time, Nainiae swung her hand, “Icicle Nova!”.

Sharp, spear-like black icicles formed around her in a ring formation--they looked like they could pierce through anything that came towards her.

Basilisk was shocked, the feeling of power and suppression coming from the slim girl in front of him made him freeze.

The Icicles blurred, looking like deadly black strings, all aiming for his unprotected body.

Looking at the black icicle that stopped a millimeter before it made contact with his neck, Basilisk gulped; then he looked around and noticed that all the other spears had stopped just in front of him: both arms, both legs, his chest…and his crotch.

If Nainiae hadn’t stopped, he would become a pincushion.

Cold sweat rolled down his forehead.

Basilisk raised his eyes, looking at Nainiae.

She looked like a hedgehog, protecting herself with a massive wall of sharp icicles--above her other hand, a head-sized ball of black flames burned.

It seemed that Basilisk lost the strength in his legs, while still staring at the now-terrifying girl surrounded by black icicles and flames, he collapsed to the ground with a vacant look on his face.

“It would be good if you didn’t pester my Young Master.”

Nainiae closed her hands, extinguishing her Magic, “You are definitely good, especially for someone your age…however, I only spoke the truth.”

She walked towards Basilisk and tilted her head, “Young Master Riley is much, much stronger--”

“...Stop! Don’t get any closer to our commander!”

A sharp voice could be heard from the gathered spectators, causing Nainiae to feel confused and look over in that direction.

“Why are you…” Nainiae muttered.

The mercenaries of Lightning Boulder all had bows tightly drawn and aimed at her--their faces had deadly looks.

Nainiae tilted her head in confusion.

She was aware that she had used some powerful Magic when she fought Basilisk, their commander, but she didn’t expect that they would react so extremely.

“...You--” Basilisk asked, his face stiffening, “…Are you a Dark Mage?”

“Dark Mage?” She asked back.

Nainiae observed the surroundings, the surprised look on her face intensifying, “What are you…talking--”

Not only were the mercenaries aiming arrows at her, but Reitri, Horai and the other merchants were looking at her with faces filled with terror.

“The Dark Mage that’s been active around Rainfield recently…” Basilisk slowly stood up, glaring at Nainiae, “To think that I would run into the Dark Mage here…”

The atmosphere was serious, and full of wariness.

Nainiae looked at Riley, who had been resting his head on his palm, and he rolled his eyes.

“Y-Young Master…”

Unable to withstand all the glares on her, she called out to Riley with a shaking voice.

1