Chapter 2: Final Selection Exam
460 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's been a while, 7 years eh? I guess it's time for the Final Selection Exam.

The past 7 years were pretty anticlimactic, I trained my body and swordsmanship for 5 years and I could say I'm pretty strong.

(A/N Yes she is not OP, she is just pretty strong....unless?)

On my 2 other years, I honed my breath to the point where I would be able to use it while eating, sleeping, and everything. I had not come across a single demon in 7 years, people would consider it lucky but for me, I was quite disappointed. How else was I supposed to gain experience? Perhaps Muzan has been ordering his demons to leave me. I learned about him when Sakonji Sensei told me about the Demon Slayer Corps and Muzan. Apparently Muzan was the first demon and the leader of the Twelve Kizuki, the twelve strongest demons. Soon I will find him and avenge my family. There was something else that intrigued me, I was losing emotions due to my Frost Breathing. It wasn't like losing but it was sealed away. I felt little emotions from time to time but was never able to express it. Therefore it made my eyes look lifeless as if I was a corpse. I learned this when it was on my sixth year.

Near the end of my sixth year as I was honing my breath, I had come across Sakonji Sensei's house. After all these years I still could do not know if i could call it a house or not. When I had arrived, I saw Sakonji Sensei training a red haired boy. I frowned but it could not give off any sign of disappointment, it was a meaningless and emotionless frown.

"Sakonji Sensei!" I said I waved, gaining the attention of the 2 people in training.

"Tokan, how many times have I told you to stop calling me sensei, you've become strong or stronger than me already." He said.

"You were the one who taught me, it's only natural. Who's the red haired boy you're training? Water Breath?" I asked.

"Ah Sorry! Yes I use Water Breathing and I'm Kamado Tanjiro! You can call me Tanjiro and pleased to meet you!" He said as he bowed 90 degrees.

"I'm Furoku Tokan, pleased to meet you too. You can call me Tokan." I said.

"Yes Tokan-san! May I ask how you knew that I used Water Breathing?" He asked.

"I've been with Sakonji-sensei for 5 years to know that he won't train with anyone that doesn't use Water Breathing since he is a water breath user himself." I said with a soft smile.

"5 years? Amazing! I don't been to be rude but Tokan-san, how come I don't smell any emotions coming off of you even when you smile?" He asked. In the corner of my eye, Sakonji-sensei gave off a sad aura for a second before it disappeared.

"Due to my Frost Breathing, I can't express emotions, it seems as if it has been sealed away." I replied.

"Is that so? Sorry for asking something impolite!" He said before bowing again.

"It's fine Tanjiro-kun, no need to be so polite." I said. Pure eyes with a tint of sadness, it seems he has gone through the same thing I have.

"It's dinner time! Get in here! We have a portion for you too Tokan." Sakonji-sensei said.

"Shall we go Tanjiro-kun? Sakonji-sensei cooks delicious food." I said.

"Yes." he replied.

"After 5 years, it seems I can't get enough of your delicious food Sakonji-sensei." I said.

"Pfft, you flatter me too much. Your cooking far exceeds my own and you know that." He replied.

"That's not true but there seems to be another presence in the room, a demon like presence." I said.

"It's my little sister Nezuko. We were attacked by a demon and she was able to live but she turned into a demon." As he explained his circumstances, I couldn't help but feel a slight pity in my heart. Though I could not express it.

"Sorry to hear that Tanjiro-kun." I said.

"It's fine, don't worry about it. Urokodaki-sensei, I've never seen your face once even when we eat." He said noticing the gloomy atmosphere.

"Hmm? Sakonji-sensei is that true? Tanjiro, did you know a year after he started training, he would take off his mask whenever we ate or when he felt like it."

"Tokan, don't embarrass me. I only did it cause you would constantly nag me."

"Is that so? I don't remember." I replied innocently as a sigh came out of his mouth.

"Urokodaki-sensei, why don't you ever take off your mask?"

I looked over to Sakonji-sensei for permission before he nodded slightly.

"Sakonji-sensei would always get made fun of by demons  because of his face so he now tends to wear a mask . Though I could not see anything wrong with his face." I replied.

"Sorry for my rudeness Urokodaki-sensei." he said.

"It's fine, it's fine. Call me Sakonji-san, Sakonji-sensei makes me feel old. Now let's clea,"

Before he could finish, the atmosphere changed. We all had the same thought, 'Demons.'

I looked over to Tanjiro seeing as he gave off a scared aura.

"Tanjiro-kun, don't be scared. Let's get ready, there seems to be 3 demons heading this way." I said.

"You can tell I was scared?" He asked before his scared aura faded.

"No, but similar to your smell, I can see different auras since I always had good eyesight when I was younger." I replied.

"Oh alright." As he got up and went towards somewhere which I guess his sister.

"Tokan, the 3 coming this way is something you can handle right? Let me see your growth." Sakonji-san said.

(Author POV)

As the demons came closer, Tokan was outside waiting for the demons as Sakonji-san and Tanjiro were watching inside from the window.

"Will Tokan-san be alright Sakonji-san?" Tanjiro asked.

"Who knows? This is her first battle against demons and it's 3 of them too." Sakonji-san replied with a chuckle.

"First time? But she gave off a strong and undefeated scent." Tanjiro said.

"Don't worry, if she gave you an impression of that. There isn't need to worry." Sakonji-san said.

"Alright." Tanjiro replied.

When the demons arrived,

"She's mine!"

"No, I called it first!"

"SHUT UP! I called dibs!"

"Why don't you guys come at me at once? You are all weak anyways." Tokan said. She was quite amused since she was able to test a bit of her skill, but to the demons, she had said it bluntly.

"Then we will, don't complain when you die!"

The first demon ran towards her and attacked with his claw only to be deflected while the second demon came from above while the third came from her right.

[Frost Breathing, Twelfth Form! Insight Of Snow!]

Soon, everything slowed down in Tokan's vision, it was as if she manipulated time itself, she saw their futures for the next 3 seconds before her everything started to speed up,

[Frost Breathing, Sixth Form! Flowing Fractures!]

She unsheathed her katana and brought it to first demon's neck but did not cut it, then curved her blade right to bring it before the third demon's neck but did not cut it then brought her blade to the second demon's neck and severed it with a slash. All in one motion. She leaped out the way as their bodies dropped to the ground as the second demon's body disappeared, the ice started to form where her blade struck the first and third demon as their body began to be covered in ice rendering them immobile. When they froze, Tokan cut off their heads and walked towards them.

To Tanjiro and Sakonji, it was as if you knew what they were going to do and did it with the most precise accuracy and cut their heads off with no expression but inside Tokan, she was slightly relieved that she had gotten a lot stronger.

When Tokan arrived, she saw Tanjiro staring at all and gave off an aura of admiration, she looked over towards to Sakonji as he gave off an aura of satisfaction. They seem to be impressed.

"How did you do that? It was as if you knew what they were going to do!" Tanjiro said.

"I was going to ask you the same thing Tokan." Sakonji added onto Tanjiro.

"It is my Frost Breathing forms, it lets me see the future of 3 seconds of what my eye is focused on, though it has some weaknesses it is quite powerful. I call it Frost Breathing, Twelfth Form, Insight of Snow. I can do it because of my keen eyesight."

"Twelfth Form? I thought there was only ten forms." Tanjiro said giving off a confused aura.

"There are ten forms correct, but if you become strong enough, you can create your own forms as I have my own." Sakonji replied.

"Yep, so when you become strong enough Tanjiro-kun, try creating your own form but be careful. It takes a lot of energy." Tokan said.

"Yes!." Tanjiro said as his eyes were filled with determination.

"I must say Tokan, you've exceed my expectations, I never thought you would become strong enough to create your own form."

Tokan tilted her head slightly and innocently said, "Hmmm? Isn't it normal for Demon Slayers?"

Sakonji stared at her in disbelief and said, "Whatever, let's get some rest. Tokan how long will you be staying?"

"Probably for a few days, after all the final selection and I need to get ready for it. I'll be sleeping on the roof as the cold gives me a feeling of comfort." Takonji said

"Alright, now let's get ready to sleep, in one week you both have a big exam to attend." Sakonji said.

"Yes." Tanjiro and Tokan replied.

(Tokan POV)

I was about to jump to the roof to rest before, "Before we head to rest, Tokan-san can I ask a question?"

"Yes?" I replied.

"How do you become so strong?" He asked.

I thought about it for a moment before answering, "Breath."

"Breath?" There was an aura of confusion around Tanjiro.

"Yes you will soon know." I replied. I went on the roof and lied down as Tanjiro went to his futon.

"The stars are still pretty, mother. I've become strong. Forgive me for not being able to express my emotions, it was a sacrifice to become strong. Goodnight." I muttered to myself.

Somewhere in heaven,

"She's become pretty strong dear."

"She has surpassed me without even realizing it and she still is attached to you as she was when she was little. Sigh, when will she come to like me a little bit?"

"Jealous dear?" as she poked her husband's cheek.

"Definitely not, though those lifeless eyes of hers are going to be a problem."

"You could've added how to gain her emotions back in the book."

"Nope, she needs to figure it out by herself."

"Though I wonder who it will be."

(A/N Let me know if you enjoy these small conversations.)

(Author POV)

Inside the cabin

In a room, you can see Sakonji writing a letter.

It seems you will gain more strong demon slayers Ubayashiki-sama, though there is one demon slayer who is quite special. I think there is no point in needing her to to take this the Final Selection Exam but let her in case something happens, I have a bad feeling. Her name is Furoku Tokan, Breath Of Frost, wielder of Akki Saisetsu.

Sakonji folded  his letter and gave it to this crow, "Take it to Ubayashiki-sama."

Somewhere in the mansion

Ubayashiki read the letter and smiled, it seems I will have a strong and special demon slayer. Perhaps I'll gift her something, Muzan, your time is near. My children will slay you as long as Demon Slayers exist.

On Mt. Fujikasane,

There stood poeple waiting to take the exam and become Demon Slayers. As Tokan entered, there were 4 people to stand out, boy with yellow hair, girl with blank stare, boy with big scar, and a boy with a blue Kimono.

2 girls with black and white hair explained what they had to do and let the Final Selection Exams begin.

Somewhere in a dimensional estate

Ubayashiki, you and your pathetic nuisances of demon slayers will die.

8