Volume 1 – Chapter 4 – Shocking News and Dangerous Work …
231 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 | Morning of August 13, 1244 - Jüterbog - Attila |

I had killed five other people, yet I wasn't scared or nervous at all, same as last time. It was as if I had become used to kill people.

This sort of "gang" was found in front of my house every morning as if they had nothing to do but follow me. As soon as I left the door they bowed and said:                                         

<<Good morning, boss Attila!>>.

It was clear that they couldn't trust me after what happened. It seems that the relationship between me and them was one of fear. You could see it on their face that the sweat wasn't just from the heat. I thought that now that I had "bodyguards" I could enter the city undisturbed.

So it was. We entered with all eyes turned towards us, but no one dared to say anything to us.

I asked all my subordinates:<<I can no longer eat only berries, I would also like something good and well cooked. Do you by any chance know where I can find a tavern ?>>.

The boy on my right replied:<<Yes boss. If we turn left and continue for two blocks, we will arrive at the most convenient tavern in the city: the "Wine's eye">>.

<<Perfect, then we should go there>>.

The last block was passed before arriving at the tavern when another guy behind me asked:<<Excuse me for the irrelevant question boss. Do eat alone, or do we eat too? And, in both cases, how will you pay for the bill?>>.

I stopped abruptly, they too did the same. Without turning around I said:<<Don't worry, you will eat too. As for the bill...I will teach you how to do it in such cases>>.

They looked amazed, you could see they weren't all-around thugs. I had to teach them that I have never been, even remotely, in such gangs. In reality, I didn't want to go to the tavern to eat but to "eavesdrop" on the speeches of ordinary people.

Until now I only knew where and in what year and day I was, but it wasn't near enough information to understand the situation of the Holy Roman Empire.

Information like: Who ruled? How did he reign? What were the relations between the various countries? In short, information that gave me clues on where to start. I couldn't stay in this city forever.

Before entering the tavern I stopped everyone and told them:<<When we enter, you all will have to sit in different places. Your job is to order a meal, which is not very expensive and concentrate on hearing what the various customers are saying. When we leave you will have to tell me everything you have heard in detail, I'll take care of the bill later...>>

Everyone nodded, even though it was written in their heads that they were wondering why they had to do all this.

When we entered, we saw that the place was full of people of all kinds. From peasants to visually cleaner and richer people. I sat down at a table next to the entrance with what appeared to be two craftsmen.

One of them looked like a shoemaker, given the clothes he wore, and the other a carpenter, as he still had wood chips on his shoulders.

The first had a tired, almost listless face and was overweight.

He seemed like the classic guy who loses faith in the world and gets into it with alcohol.

The second was a strong man, with exposed muscles, with a brown moustache. He looked at the person in front with a worried look.

When I approached them, the two were silent. Then when I sat down next to them, it was clear that they didn't look favourably on my presence.

Even though they had disgusted expressions I decided to talk to them:<<Sorry for the inconvenience, I can read in your faces that you feel nothing but disgust to sit at the same table with a gang leader of thugs. Having said that, I wanted to ask you some questions, can you take up part of your time for me?>>.

They both stared at me strangely, then looked at each other.

After this strange scene that I had witnessed, the carpenter said to me:<<Er, what do you want to know exactly?>>

<<It would be very useful to hear your opinion on the political events that are happening lately in the Empire. The gentleman on my left seems very depressed, does it have something to do with his work?>>.

The strong man replied:<<He is going through a bad time, he is so depressed that he doesn't even keep up the deadlines of his orders>>.

The shoemaker, until now silent as a fish, gave us an answer: <<I'm like this because my dear friend Jan died, who is your adoptive father among other things, we knew each other as children and we were very good friends. Before answering your question, why don't you tell me why only you survived?>>.

I gave the usual answer, which was that the guards killed my "family".

The man drank the beer he had in his wooden mug and threw it on the ground shouting:<<I knew it, so they are the cause eh! They've done nothing but hurt citizens since they got here! They've already hanged a lot of people, now they're killing them right in their house! How shameful it is that our Emperor allows all this!>>.

After the shoemaker let off some steam, and people stopped staring at him like a madman, I asked him:<<Forgive my ignorance, but I don't remember the name of the Emperor. Isn't it that you could remind me?>>.

The carpenter, in a superb tone, replied:<<I see that you are an ignoramus! Anyway, the Emperor is called Federico II>>.

<<What ?! Wait wait, are you talking about Frederick II of Swabia?!>>.

<<! Who else should I talk about?>>.

I was stunned by the answer, I couldn't believe it.

Hi, I'm the writer. For the first time, I decided to interact with your readers. I'd like to have a chat with you, but I'll do it in the Epilogue. So why this break of the fourth wall? Well, I am doing this to explain to you why our dear Attila seems so shocked. I will try to summarize in a few lines the basic notions to have about Emperor Frederick II. If you don't care about the explanation then you can skip this paragraph, but to fully enjoy the story I suggest you read it.

Frederick II is, perhaps, one of the most important emperors of the Holy Roman Empire. He was an orphan both of his parents were dead. Thus he inherits the kingdom of Sicily and has the Pope himself as a guardian. The head of the church thought that in the future when he grew up, he could manipulate him as he pleased. But it was not so, as an adult he rebelled against the church and took back the title of Emperor as of his right. The Pope, angry at the course of events, called him "The Antichrist" and was also excommunicated. Frederick II had an open mind, he went beyond appearances. We can say that he was among the most open-minded emperors in history. He was very religious, and when it came to people, he didn't distinguish them by skin colour, nationality or faith. He distinguished only between the competent and the incompetent, in fact, he also had Arabs as advisors to the court (even if it was taboo for all of Europe). He also knew Arabic and was interested in the philosophical questions of life and wrote to Arab intellectuals to ask them questions and even provoke colloquial debates. It was also the Emperor who made a long negotiation with Sultan Al Kamil to avoid making victims for another crusade by becoming the ruler of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. The Western world was divided between those who thought he was a fantastic Emperor and those who, like the church, hated him to death. In short, he was a great man, but let's see what Attila thinks...

Now I understand why the difficulty is impossible. I am already at a disadvantage from the beginning, as I am known as the son of peasants. But even if I did get into court I would have to deal with one of my idols and the greatest Holy Roman Emperor. However, I must not be discouraged, it is still too early to think about him.

<<Anyway gentlemen, thank you for what you have told me. You have been very helpful to me>>.

The shoemaker:<<Look, we told you things that everyone knows, you must not thank us. Indeed take it with your ignorance>>.

<<I will do it. Let's go guys!>>. In the end, I got the information I needed so quickly that none of us was able to order food, it was as if we only left after a few minutes.

<<So, I already have the information I need, but I would like to know if even in these few minutes you have heard something interesting>>. No one answered, it was evident that they did not have time to hear anything useful.

Unexpectedly one of them came forward:<<Boss Attila, I heard something interesting but I do not know if it is really useful...>>.

I replied:<<Come on, spit the toad>>.

<<While I was at the table, I heard from some peasants that were discussing among each other in front of me, that four people among them perished. They were discussing a noble family who was looking for an escort to go to Berlin>>.

<<Why, given their wealth, do not take a real armed escort?>>.

<<, for unknown reasons, they don't want to pay a decent escort. So they are looking for volunteers before leaving>>.

<<Do you happen to know where they live?>>

<<Yes, they live in the mansion by the lake which is southwest of Jüterbog. You will recognize it for sure>>.

<<Perfect then guys, I'm going to deal with the nobles. You go to your homes and say to your parents that you are about to leave for this journey. Don't forget to bring some weapons with you!>>.

They answered as a group:<<Got it boss!>>.

Perfect, now the real challenge would have been to talk to the nobles and convince them to choose us as an escort. Although it's not that easy, since we're kids.

| Lunch of 13 August 1244 - Jüterbog - Nobleman of Jüterbog - Harm Graf |

My family and I were having lunch, there was a dead silence. My wife and daughter looked at me from time to time but without saying a word.

Breaking the silence my wife said to me:<<Dear love, why do you insist on not taking a well-armed escort?>>.

I replied:<<, My love, I have already told you. We are not going very far nor are we bringing with us who knows what riches. Furthermore, we have already spent a lot on the gifts we will bring to the governor of Berlin, which is very expensive. To tell the truth, I'm almost ashamed to say it, but currently, for this month we cannot afford an expensive escort>>.

<<I understand you dear husband, but I would like to ask you a question: what value do you give to our security? Do you think it has so little value?>>.

<<Exactly!>> my daughter continued:<<Father, I think you will agree that our safety comes first, please try to understand...>>.

<<Dear wife and dear daughter, please do not disturb me more about this matter. I have already spread the word around that we need an escort, I think someone will answer our request>>. <<Love, I will follow you wherever you go. But know that I am very disappointed by this questionable choice of yours>>.

The atmosphere became tense...

<<Excuse the inconvenience your lordship Harm, there is a boy who would like to talk to you about your announcement of the escort. Do we let him in?>>.

My wife sighed and said:<<Ah I knew it. Now anyone will come, even the kids for some money will offer themselves as an escort. Seen dear, I told you...>>

I also knew it, I was frustrated in the same way. Of course, simple kids couldn't be a good escort, I couldn't take them.

<<Tell him we don't care, send him away>>

<<Your lordship, the boy said he would like to be judged before being sent away. He told me if in case she would have sent him away, to tell her that it would be a real shame not to be able to "tear up" a noble at chess. Do I send him away anyway?>>

A dirty farmer used the word "tear" against me, as the fuck he allowed himself.

Okay, first the checkered rag and then I'll have him punished:<<Let that miserable boy in, I will teach him a lesson personally.  So he will stop turning to a noble!>> 

<< Of course, your lordship>>.

I was already waiting for this brat in the reception room, with a chessboard on the table. I wanted to make him understand how much he was nothing in front of me.

A boy entered in a white shirt and brown cloaks, with silver hair and red eyes. He was of medium height and he was thin, although he wasn't quite a toothpick. I thought a dirty farmer was showing up in front of me, but instead, I met a strangely too clean boy. However his physical appearance or clothing didn't matter, he still offended me. After a few steps, he knelt in gratitude that I had let him in. He was mute, he said nothing. He was just kneeling there.

My daughter and my wife also entered and stood next to me as I sat on the sofa as if they were spectators.

In the end, I decided to take the initiative:<<You can get up, I don't want to waste any more time with you. You said you wanted to "tear me up" at chess...Well please, take a seat>>.

The boy got up and sat down in front of me and, finally opening his mouth, said:<<I thank you for your hospitality, even if I am a humble boy. I am sorry I was rude to you, your Lordship Harm, but I do not repudiate my words. He will see him during this match>>.

Ah, I understand. You want to piss me off, huh? This one here vary believes himself superior to me?! Well, I can't wait to shut him up! <<I hope at least that you will entertain me>> I said.

<<I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think he will have fun at all>>.

But does this cheeky kid want to die? It takes me two seconds to call the guards and have him killed on the spot! <<Your Lordship Harm, I know I shouldn't afford it, but can you make a bet with me?>>

<<A bet huh? What is it?>>

<<If I beat your lordship at chess then you will have to listen to me if instead, I lose then you can inflict any punishment you want>>

Ah, so you already know that you will not come out unscathed from here:<<Bet accepted, I'll show who you're dealing with! I even give you an advantage, you will play with white>>.

<<Thank you your lordship>>

So the game began.

A white pawn in E4.

A black pawn in E5.

White bishop in C4.

Black horse in C6.

White Queen in H5.

A black pawn in B5.

White queen eats black pawn in F7. Checkmate.

...Wait, is this a checkmate? I could not eat the queen with the King because she was defended by the bishop... A deathly silence descended in the hall, it was shameful that I was beaten in just 4 moves...

In my entire life playing chess, it has never happened to me to lose like this.

I looked him in the face, he was smiling silently.

He was the one who was enjoying himself. <<I do not accept this defeat, I want to make another match!>>

<<I knew he would have said>>.

We played another game, this time he didn't do the trick as before. It seemed like he was trying hard, but without realizing it I lost half the pieces. In silence, he was destroying me. He made moves that I would never have predicted, not even aware of when my pieces were being eaten. There was no right move I could make. In this game many times he did not checkmate on purpose for the sake of eating all the pieces.

Only the King was left.

All of a sudden he held out his hand to me and said:<<Your lordship, I would like to make a draw with you>>.

Even though I had only the King left and he had all the pieces to destroy me, he still asked me to make the draw. What a strange boy, where had he learned to play like that? Who taught him to speak like this?

In front of him, I was nothing:<<I don't want to do it, eat me the King>>

After my answer, the boy's fingers took the queen to checkmate me. I had lost again. My wife my daughter witnessed my double defeat, they were surprised but remained silent. I wanted to kill him with my own hands for embarrassing me, but I couldn't do it.

I would have lost face in front of everyone.

<<You are a very good boy, where did you learn to play like this?>>

<<I would like to tell you your lordship but this is something that I would like to keep for myself. Instead, your lordship can fulfil the agreement stipulated before the game?>>

Good heavens, he didn't even want to answer this here:<<Yes yes, I'm all ears>>.

The boy went on:<<I introduce myself, I am Attila, head of what you would call "a gang of thugs". Definition with which I agree. I heard you needed a cheap escort, so I thought I'd volunteer with my gang. I know that in your eyes we are simple kids, you think we never want to offer you adequate protection. But with all due respect to you, I warn you that you are wrong. Even for "self-defence", I have already had to kill people. So in case, we meet someone on our way, I would not hesitate to take him out>>.

So this guy not only looks smart but he's already killed someone:<<Perfect, I'm glad to know that you and the other thugs are ready for anything. I would like to talk about the price instead, I offer you two tari each>>.

** Tari = medieval coins **

 The boy looked at me and said:<<, Your Lordship, with all due respect, I will also be a hooligan but I am not a fool. I would like to retract, how about making five Tari apiece (so 5 x 10) plus a bonus of 15 Tari if it arrives unscathed at its destination?>>

It was a reasonable price, but not if they were taken by simple kids who improvised as an escort:<< Of course, you make it cost more than what you are worth>>.

<<I assure you it will be worth it>>.

<< Okay, I hope you won't disappoint me >>

<< You can count on it >>

6