Volume 6 – Chapter 3 – Gathering Allies…
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

| Morning of October 5th - 1249 - Southern shores of the Caspian Sea - Present-day Iran - Batu |

Finally.

I've been on many journeys and have always enjoyed them, even when facing extreme conditions.

But this journey, although not yet concluded and despite no major setbacks, is proving to be longer than expected.

We departed from Karakorum at the beginning of spring, and now, almost midway through autumn, I'm only just seeing the Caspian Sea.

Whole days were spent crossing snowy mountains or arid deserts where we could barely find enough food for all the troops and horses, almost by miracle.

If it weren't for the fact that I was regularly bedding Victoria every three days, it would have seemed like an endless journey.

And here I am finally, reaching the first major water source available: the Caspian Sea.

Along its shores, there are plenty of fields, pastures, and a vast prairie.

Finally, my men and I can restock and refresh ourselves. I instructed my men to set up a base camp since we would be staying here for a few weeks, also waiting for all the reinforcements that were supposed to arrive.

Every soldier of mine had a sense of freedom and gratification stamped on their faces.

Victoria, who was always by my side after I gave the order, said:<<So finally I can have a decent bath>>

<<A DECENT BATH? WHEN I HAD TO ORGANIZE EXPEDITIONS TO FETCH WATER FROM THE MOUNTAINS AND LAKES JUST TO LET YOU HAVE A BATH EVERY THREE DAYS!>>

<<OH, WHY ARE YOU YELLING?! And anyway, that was the price for getting laid every three days since we left>>

<<Well, don't exaggerate>>

<<Fine, it's evident that the journey has turned you into an idiot>>

<<After all these years, you still haven't realized that not only does this behaviour not suit you, but it pisses me off so much that I feel like beating you>>

<<But you won't because at the end of the day, you have a heart under that hairy chest. Also, if you dared to do it even once, I would have lived only to kill you in every single moment. Anyway, I'm going to take a bath now...>>

She took off with her horse, abruptly ending the conversation.

I let out a long sigh of resignation; it was becoming impossible to deal with her.

<<Great Khan>> a voice behind me said.

I turned around; it was one of my messengers sent to explore the surrounding territory.

<<Tell me>> I said.

<<I must inform you that many of the reinforcements expected are arriving here from all over Asia; we should be complete in a few weeks>> he replied.

<<Perfect. Now go and refresh yourself as well>>

| Morning of September 16th - 1249 - Temporary throne room of Acre Castle - Attila |

"A few weeks," Emperor Frederick had written to me.

AND THEN FOR SOME FUCKING REASON, HIS REINFORCEMENTS ONLY ARRIVED A FEW HOURS AGO?!

It seems pretty obvious then that the Emperor isn't very good with timing.

"Your honour?" Bruno asked.

"Yes, Bruno, tell me."

"Even though you're not talking to anyone, just sitting on the throne, you still have a terribly angry face. Did I do something wrong?"

"No, don't worry, I'm angry for other reasons; you're not involved," I reassured him.

Bruno let out a sigh of relief.

Well, at the end of the day, what's important is that they've arrived.

In a few seconds, the door should open, and the representative of all the Emperor's troops will enter.

But I must say, it suits me just fine; even the Mongols haven't made any significant moves in the vicinity.

So, I've had precious time to train the troops day and night, provide provisions to our Byzantine allies' reinforcements, and purchase as many lances as possible from all over Europe.

After all, it might seem foolish, but it's the only true fundamental weapon to face Mongol cavalry.

Suddenly, the doors opened, and a knight in armour entered.

He removed his helmet and knelt before me, saying, "It is an honour to be in your presence, honourable Attila."

"I'm glad you've arrived. How was your long journey?" I inquired.

"Nothing serious or important happened, Your Majesty. Everything went smoothly," he replied.

How dare he assert this?

"I apologize in advance for any rudeness. You said everything went smoothly and nothing serious happened. So, I ask: WHY DID IT TAKE YOU ALMOST SIX MONTHS TO GET HERE?! IN FACT, BE THANKFUL THAT WE'RE ALL STILL ALIVE AND NOT DEAD! WITH SUCH A NERVE, YOU COME HERE TO TELL ME THAT 'nothing serious happened'?!"

The knight was stunned by the amount of anger I displayed in those few seconds.

Perhaps he expected me to get angry, but it seems we've exceeded his expectations.

Then he bowed his head even lower and said with a trembling voice, "Forgive my arrogance, Your Majesty, I didn't mean to be rude! In fact, there were some problems; we had to change many departure cities because we were constantly blocked by the Pope's troops."

"Wait, what do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, as I'm sure you know, the Pope declared the Kingdom of Jerusalem as illegitimate since it's the result of an agreement with infidels. So, they did everything to hinder our arrival until the Emperor himself intervened. Only then could we depart peacefully. But by that time, many had already given up on going, so we're 25,000..."

No, this move by the Church is too much; I can't accept it.

THEY ARE ACTIVELY SABOTAGING ME!

I WON'T ACCEPT IT, AND THEY WILL PAY, TO THE LAST DROP OF THEIR BLOOD.

An unsettling silence filled the room; the soldier and Bruno looked at me, terrified.

And that's the emotion I need to have; THEY MUST ALL FEAR MY WRATH.

I said, "Bruno, take the knight and the rest of his companions to the accommodations scattered throughout the city."

"C-Certainly, Your Majesty."

Bruno and the knight hurriedly left.

Calm down, Attila, stay calm.

There, like this...

...

...

...

BUT HOW CAN I CALM DOWN WHEN I HAVE SON OF A BITCHES DOING EVERYTHING TO SABOTAGE ME!

I need to inform my allies immediately.

0