Chapter 146: Pawns in a Grand Game
4.3k 24 153
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 146: Pawns in a Grand Game

 

I flew over the city and I heard the screams below. This puny little city was just a blip in the grand scheme of things. I knew the history of this place, Vororia was a small territory that laid at the edge of Voleria. It was much the same for their neighbor Boria, they were both historically poor fortress regions. So once the empire fragmented they have always struggled since their territories were never made to be self sufficient. With the fall of Tralis and the formation of the Averlonian Empire things only got worse, my little famine also made sure to send these two nations into a downward spiral.

Cecilia has sent them enough olive branches to make a small campfire but Vororia still stubbornly refused to bend the knee. Their neighbor Boria, much like their name, made the boring decision to accept servitude under the Averlonian Empire. It was easier for me if they surrendered but it just wasn’t as fun. I mean why would I find some people signing sheets of paper interesting?

Well at least now there might be a chance for a bit of fun before the main event…

I listened to the screams of the people below as they looked up at me. They were terrified and rightly so, I didn’t need my army or anyone’s help to wipe this city off the map. Mass destruction was never really a problem. The problem has always been fighting powerful individuals. Until now I can’t even land a hit on Mahaila, calling her a blur would only be a half truth. Sometimes she just seems to vanish and the next thing I know all my danger sense alarm bells go off in my head.

But honestly I don’t feel that bad about getting my ass kicked on a regular basis. The reason was that I am getting alot better at fighting humanoid sized opponents. Mahaila says she was probably the best duelist in the world right now. If I could beat her I can most likely beat any single opponent I will ever encounter. Even the members of the Divine Council will have to think twice about crossing blades with her. Although she did mention in a group fight her friend the Crow Father was by far her superior, his mastery of magic made him a terror in an open battlefield.

Well anyway I am preparing for a fight with a real opponent. Conquering this city and its weakling inhabitants would be like a child kicking a sand castle. We tried the soft approach because we struck a deal with the oh so merciful angels. We at least have to play the part of diplomacy. But now the time for words is past…

I descended into the front plaza of the palace, the Azatherine followed me down while the other two blue fire phoenixes continued circling overhead. Royal Guards and mages rushed towards us and encircled us. I took one look at the encirclement of cannon fodder before facing the front door. 

“Cecilia!” I roared out, shaking the ground with the volume of my roar.

That should be enough for her to hear me. She’ll be out soon enough but for now…

I turned to look at the soldiers surrounding me and Azatherine. Azatherine was just looking at the humans around us as if she was just looking at a swarm of ants. Her posture and gaze betrayed the fact she didn’t see them as a threat or even worthy of notice. She turned her head to look at five mages who were channeling a spell and then she looked away. 

“Careful… you don’t want me to get angry…” I growled and I sensed the entire encirclement flinch.

“Cities do have a tendency to become uninhabitable when my king gets angry.” Azatherine remarked thoroughly unconcerned with what was happening around her. 

It was a thoroughly fitting reaction for something like Azatherine, a White Fire Phoenix could even make high angels wary. Of course Azatherine would struggle against the elites of Heaven or at least she would have in the past. I have been improving on Azatherine’s body, making her more powerful and I have more or less resolved the Phoenix's weakness of having low stamina. Now my phoenixes had the stamina to keep pace with the dragons who were famous for their tenacity. She was still no match for the truly stand out combatants but she should be able to face even the most elite of the standard soldiers.

Although disgusting, the Primordial Essence from the Font was certainly useful. It allowed me to do many things that were once impossible. Plus all my Grahanam Crowns were fully charged thanks to my control over the Primordial Font.

I glanced again at the surrounding soldiers and I saw that they were just standing stock still. No one dared to make a move. It was probably due to the fact that Azatherine and I were just calmly standing at the front door.

To be fair seeing where I am now, it was only a matter of time before someone did something stupid.

 

*Thunk*

 

I felt something hit the side of my face, I looked to the corner of my vision and saw a crossbowman with an empty crossbow staring at me. Then I heard the clatter as the crossbow bolt hit the stone floor. I slowly turned my head to look at him and I saw his eyes widen before he promptly wet himself.

I could just open my mouth and torch the lot of them but that wouldn’t be the smart thing to do. Geographically this place links the human territories to the Zariman desert. So I have two options, either I play nice and keep this place compliant. If they start getting rebellious ideas I would have to deal with more problems. The other option is to remove the problem completely, burn this place to the ground. No city means no rebels and Sarana's spy network along with my own monitoring means any scattered dissidents won’t get far. But of course this option was rather wasteful because we would destroy what was already built and eventually need to build a new outpost here.

I turned away from the shaking man and I noted how the entire encirclement had froze.

“Sometimes I wonder why I even bother…” I said.

“The humans are short lived my king, the scrabble for every scrap in their short fleeting lives. Rash decisions are inevitable when one's stay on the mortal plane is so short.” Azatherine replied, she didn’t even bother to acknowledge the fact that I was just shot by a crossbow. Some may feel this was vaguely disrespectful but I knew it was because she knew it would do nothing. I don’t like groveling you see and Azatherine knew this all too well. She doesn’t scrape and bow before. She just acts and executes orders perfectly.

“One of two things are going to happen, either they bend the knee or I bend their castle over backwards.” I said and Azatherine nodded in response.

“But even if they submit there are still a great many things to fix…” I said and just as I said that the door of the palace opened. Cecilia appeared with this fat thing which I assumed was the king. I could tell thanks to his shiny hat.

“Certainly if the king makes the wise decision there are great many things to fix, did you spot anything that you would like to point out friend?” Cecilia asked as she stood before me. If the king had a shiny hat, Cecilia’s entire dress was a crown. She had nothing on her head allowing her long red hair to fall down freely. Her dress was red as her hair, adorned with the feathers of phoenixes, studded with rubies, embroidered with gold and made of the finest enchanted silk.

“They need better crossbows, that one has a broken firing mechanism.” I said as I pointed at the crossbowman that shot me.

Cecilia’s gaze shifted to the crossbowman then to the bolt on the floor. 

“Ah that can be remedied. My good sir you should not point faulty weapons at others. Accidents can cause some… dangerous consequences.” Cecilia said as she gave the man a cold smile and he flinched.

“So friend, what was it you wished to tell me?” Cecilia said, her tone instantly warming when she spoke to me.

“The time for talk is over, the vampires are on the move. The Black Crusade will start soon, they will reach the edge of the desert in a few days.” I said I instantly felt the fear run through the surrounding soldiers.

“So it appears death marches towards us.” Cecilia said with a nod.

“Just as how death comes for all of us eventually, it appears our time is up. Your Grace, your decision? If you refuse I will take it as a declaration of war.” Cecilia said calmly, the bluntness of her statement taking all the surrounding diplomats aback.

“Death waits for no one. It comes for everyone and everything. You may be a king but you die all the same… just like everyone else.” I said as I leaned down and loomed over the king.

“I… I cannot.” the King said after a short moment of pause. Then I spot the young behind the king clench his fist in rage.

“I cannot give up my right of rule even in the face of a Black Crusade.” the King said and the area was silent.

“I respect your conviction even if it is foolish. Pity…” Cecilia said as she shifted her gaze to the young man standing behind the king.

“Earl Vororia… as we discussed…” Cecilia said and I saw the king flinch, he turned just as the young man drew a dagger. The king only had time to widen his eyes before the dagger found his throat.

“I will not stand by while you condemn us all to death for your pride.” the man said through gritted teeth.

The king gurgled before collapsing onto the ground, his blood pooling on the stones below. The Royal Guards did nothing, they just stood there and watched. I suppose even a sacred oath of loyalty has its limits. 

“So this is why you said it was all taken care of.” I said with a low laugh. I could sense the fear from all the other humans at the sound. Strange how a simple laugh can terrify.

Cecilia just smiled as she nodded.

“I didn’t want to bother you with this trivial matter. I trust things are going well on your end?” Cecilia asked.

“It is going very well. Soon I will show the vampires what true monsters are.” I said with a booming laugh.

“I look forward to it.” Cecilia said as she turned to look back at the now still corpse of the king. The blood pool had reached her feet and I could see she was standing in it.

“Earl Vororia, I expect the preparations to be made for my army.” Cecilia said and Earl Vororia bowed like an obedient vassal.

“Yes my empress you will have your bridge to the west.” Earl Voroia said and Cecilia nodded before turning her gaze to the king.

“Fool…” Cecilia said her tone dripping with disdain and contempt. Her gaze looked like she was staring at a cockroach.

“All your little arguments with your son. You thought he was pleading for the lives of the people? Your people’s lives are already secured, he wasn’t pleading for them. He was pleading for you.” Cecilia said before she turned and began to walk away.

I followed after her and she left bloody footprints for a few steps before realizing and casting a silent [Cleanse] spell to remove the blood.

“It suits you.” I said with a laugh.

“It’s dirty and it will smell later.” Cecilia replied with a smile.

“We need to move” I said as I stopped and I offered Cecilia a hand. She climbed on as she casted her usual set of spells to make the journey more comfortable. 

Right as we took off I sensed the once Prince turned Earl kneel before the corpse of his father. I soon left earshot but my hidden adjutants were there to pick up what he was saying. As he mumbled his words I couldn’t help but feel satisfaction. His response was exactly the kind of attitude and perception I wanted to promote.

I could hear him now, seemingly trying to persuade a corpse like a fool.

 

I had no choice

I couldn’t let you destroy all that we are

If we fought mother, my siblings, all of them would be food for monsters

Asteia just had a child, I can’t throw my nephew on the pyre…

 

He was on his knees now, it seems the gravity of what he has done was starting to sink in. His pain was irrelevant, he was but a pawn in a far grander game. History will not remember him, he will be lucky to get a few sentences in a footnote. Just a faceless figure that was so insignificant I can’t even be bothered to learn his name. There are many like this thing here, he said he didn’t want to throw his nephew on the pyre. But in truth with all the major factions now on the move, this was just the prelude to the greatest pyre in ten thousand years.

 

What was I supposed to do?

The Great Beast and his hive are like a tide, like a force of nature

You do not try to fight an avalanche

You get out of the way…

 

This Black Crusade was just the beginning. A Black tide clashing with a White one. The world was about to witness something it has not seen in a long time. My memories, both inherited and stolen, show these things. There was no peace, there was no need for declarations of war. War, struggle and death were the natural state of the world. The strong lived and the weak died. There was no time for hope when all is strife, only the mad scramble for survival. My kind scrabbled in the dirt, snuffing out our kin one by one. It was brutal, cruel, disgusting but above all it was honest.

 

After this Black Crusade may peace finally return…

 

Fool…

This was only the beginning.

It was only fitting that the war to claim all three worlds would create the largest pyre in history.

The coming war will burn three worlds.

From the pits of hell, to the halls of heaven.

From the skies of Averlon, to the edge of this world.

Let it burn, let it be war.

Winner takes all.

 

I will take it all…

153