In another world – 2
5 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the days followed, 'Tetsushi' got to learn more about the Fujiwara family.

At the same time, he was reviewing the knowledge floating in his mind, learning from it and making it his own.

His body has also recovered enough to the point that he can now undergo physical rehabilitation without furthering his injuries.

Yet even after all this time, 'Tetsushi' still felt uncomfortable with his current life.

Should I really be in this place?

He asked that to himself multiple times in a day.

---

One day, after a hard and frustrating physical therapy session, he returned to his room and took a nap.

Suddenly, he realized that he was by a familiar road.

It was the road he always traveled whenever he went to Master Ark's workshop.

"Hey, long time no see!"

He turned to the right, and saw Master Ark, the leather tanner he was the assistant of when he stayed in Calpo for a few years.

"Still remember? Over there is Madam Rose's bakeshop. That house there is blacksmith Tuner's workshop. That house was where you slept when you came to Calpo."

Master Ark pointed to each part of the familiar street, rekindling the memories he thought he forgot.

Then he was hit at the back of his head.

"Ma-master Lucas..."

"Hahaha, what do we have here? If it isn't an old face!"

Master Lucas burst out in laughter after seeing his face.

This time, they were in Varuk.

He looked around, seeing how the village never changed since he left for Calpo.

The houses, the shops, the trees, and the roads, all looked the same as before.

Comforted by the familiarity, he walked by the side of Master Lucas, listening to the stories of the leather tanner.

They split by the marketplace.

"Well, I am going back to the workshop. I'm sure you haven't forgotten your way around, right?"

He laughed at the provocation.

"I remember, Master Lucas. I fully remember."

Master Lucas flashed him a gentle smile, and started walking back.

"Goodbye, -----"

He continued looking at the back of Master Lucas, until his figure was hidden behind a house.

He took a deep breath, and looked at the church on the hill.

At first, it was a slow walk, then it turned into a jog, until finally, he ran as fast as he can, huffing and puffing by the tree a few meters in front of the church.

"It's older brother!"

"Older brother's come back!"

"Quick, call the old priest and the nuns, big brother's back!"

"Big brother, how long will you stay!"

"Older brother!"

"Big brother!"

Children swarmed him as he rested by the tree.

When he finally caught his breath, he started walking towards the chair.

By the doors, an old man and three young women were looking at him with a gentle gaze.

Smiling at them, he made his greeting.

"I've come back, gramps and aunties."

The old man returned his smile.

"Welcome back, Simon."

---

"I'm sorry that I returned so late."

Sitting by the table, Simon bowed his head low to the old priest.

One of the nuns chuckled at the foreign gesture he made.

"You have adjusted well to Japan."

The old man said as he smiled at him.

"Yes, Japan is a very good place!"

And so for the next half hour, Simon shared all the events he experienced in Japan.

Of the three nuns, one excused herself to make tea, while the other prepared some sandwiches to go with the tea.

The remaining one, the one who chuckled, listened on with the old priest.

When his tale was done, Simon was greeted by a freshly brewed tea, as well as a couple slices of white bread filled with jam.

"Haha, Japan has really captivated you!"

The old priest laughed, pleased at how Simon enjoyed his experience,

"Yes, it was a good experience. While I was mostly confined in a hospital, it wasn't too bad, as they had all sorts of ways to pass the time away."

Simon sipped his tea.

"Still, I really wanted to go back here."

The old priest and the three nuns paused.

"I miss this place. Here, I can be myself. I do not have to pretend to be someone I am not, nor do I have to forget the memories that made me who I am."

Tears started brewing under his eyes.

"I like Hiro and Keiko, I really do. To be given the affection of a parent, it is a dream come true, for someone who is an orphan."

"But I can't. It's too hard, too painful to lie to them."

"I didn't expect that I had to lie to myself too."

"Gramps, I want to go home."

The old priest clenched his hands into a fist.

The nun who served tea looked away, while the nun who served the sandwiches covered her face.

The nun who chuckled bowed her head, tears dripping on to her thighs.

It was the old priest who opened his mouth first.

"...I'm sorry, Simon. We too, would like to see you return home..."

"But our power is limited to this world only. The best we can do is send you dreams."

"Just like this one..."

Simon gazed at the old priest's eyes.

"Does that mean it's impossible to go back?"

The old priest nodded.

Simon wept bitterly.

---

After calming down, Simon resumed the conversation.

"...Is this the last time I will have a dream about you? About Varuk? And Calpo?"

The old priest shook his head.

"Whenever possible, we will create a dreamworld for us to converse. I, the god of Peace, promise you."

The nun who served tea also made her stance.

"I, the goddess of water, promise as well."

The nun who served sandwiches smiled at him.

"Of course I, the goddess of harvest, give my promise too."

And the last nun nodded as well.

"Yes, I, the goddess of happiness, swear as well."

Simon smiled at their titles.

"Haha, I never knew that you were such high ranking deities in the pantheon. But you don't have to use your divine titles. Just promise me, as gramps and aunties."

All four smiled.

"Of course, how can we say no to our beloved child?"

The atmosphere between the five became warm once more, even though the tea brewed previously has already cooled down.

---

Finally, it was time to wake up.

Slowly, he can feel his consciousness rising from slumber.

The surroundings start losing color, and everything was starting to became fuzzy.

Before everything faded away, he heard the old priest's words.

"Always remember, Simon."

Wherever you go, do not be afraid, nor be downhearted. We will always be in your heart, just as you will always be in ours.

---

"Congratulations, Mr. Tetsushi!"

While seated on a wheelchair, 'Tetsushi' smiled to the nurse who gave her greetings.

It has been a few months since Simon came to this world.

His body has now recovered from the injuries sustained during the accident.

While his body still felt stiff in some places, and walking requires aid, the doctor said he has recovered sufficiently and can now be safely discharged from the hospital.

Hence where he is right now, seated on the wheelchair as Keiko rolled him along the hallway.

Along the way, Simon was met by congratulations, from nurses, doctors, even fellow patients that he met during his rehab.

Smiling back and expressing his gratitude, Simon looked forward to his new life as Tetsushi.

0