Chapter 2
15 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Myrina's teeth ground in frustration as she stacked her bottles and a couple of knives in her worn-out satchel. She had just gotten out of another pointless meeting or maybe not exactly pointless since they could have the upper hand if she just sacrifices a little bit of herself. Merlin gave her time to at least think about the deal that would greatly benefit their side. She knew, though that she would certainly go with it, she just needed time to fully accept it with her whole being. 

War has already cost them too many lives, what's another when it will aid their side in defeating Moldark. Perhaps, there really is no good or bad side when it comes to war, there are only winners or losers and in this war, Myrina is starting to think that they are fast approaching the losing side. Lucian and Blayze kept their righteous belief that good will always win in the end. 

She felt like screaming in their faces that they need to step up their game and face reality but instead, she took another couple of bottles and some containers she could find to store some herbs and medicine for when she goes foraging. Another laborious task that she should not be doing but since no one wants to do it, she has to or their numbers will give out before this war ends or if it ever ends at all.

"Myrina can I talk to you for a minute?" Sybil asked, looking down at the floor. Merlin must've informed her of the deal they were considering or maybe it's already been considered. Sybil has been one of the guardians even before the war broke out and has been the longest guardian to ever survive, maybe because she's tenacious to be careful all the time or she's just that powerful and lucky. As the oldest and the last remaining guardian, she does not go to dangerous endeavors but acts as the pillar that's holding us all. 

"Yeah, I still got time before I go foraging." Myrina took out two useable teacups and set them up as Sybil comfortably sit at the small make-up tea table. From the furthest corner of her shelves, she took out her favorite tea- chamomile with honey. A luxury she knew she could not afford right now, but she would still find time after her missions to find these.

"I know that you and Merlin have the same ideals, though we may not always be in agreement with the way he handles things, I want this war to end as much as you two want it. But this, this way, I." She stopped, maybe thinking of the right words to say that would not directly insult or offend Myrina. 

Myrina smiled at her as she took her hand in hers. "I know. After this war, I know that you still want us to be those hopeful children you took care of, but Sybil this war changed me. It all changed all of us and I don't know whether it's good or bad."

"Maybe if we find another way or look for an alternative." Sybil protested, trying to find another solution that would make them win this war without losing too much. 

"We both know that there is no other way. This is as close as we can get to him. To have Moldark's closest aid is exactly what we need." Myrina took the small teacup from the table and brought it to her lips. The smell of chamomile infused with honey continues to relax her nerves and bring momentary peace to her messed-up life. 

Sybil sighed, "I just don't understand why he would want you. I get the pardon for all his crimes when this is all over but my precious little Myrina, I don't want you to carry all these burdens." 

"His condition to have me during and after the war is just to spite on me. I took away all his loved ones so he wants to take away my freedom. What I don't understand is why does he want to switch sides now? He's the second most powerful and strongest next to Moldark. Why would he throw away all that to side with us?" 

"Maybe he realized that good will always win." Sybil smiled at Myrina. She knew that Myrina started to doubt those words after a couple of years in the war but she still hoped that she would see the girl with bright eyes who believed that good shall always see the light of day and good will triumph evil. However, Myrina has seen all the sides there is to war and in war, there is just nothing good about it. 

"I should get going." Myrina dismissed and pulled her satchel over her shoulder. She decided to go to the west forest for her foraging before she proceeds to her mission with Lucas. Sybil stood up and dusted non-existent dirt on her brown apron before smiling at Myrina. 

"Take care on your trip and Myrina," Sybil looked at her in the eye like she was reading her soul. "don't forget who you are." Myrina smiled before leaving Sybil in her small office full of potions and medicinal herbs. She wasn't sure how she would be able to manage her time now that she had to go foraging and accomplish her missions. 

"Lucas!" 

"What is it? Are we going now?" Lucas, the only sibling of Lucian with the same exact features- black curly hair and ruby-like eyes and yet having the polar opposite of personalities. If Lucian's belief is that good will always prevail in this war, Lucas knew that there are consequences that they need to face head-on but he's reluctant. As the brother of the chosen one, he has to be seen on the good side. "No, I need to go foraging, when I'm done then let's proceed." 

Lucas gave her a small nod before heading to the great hall where most of the members of the guild are staying. Myrina used the back door to exit the small building they were staying in for the past couple of years in the war. Granted that they had a couple of other safe houses in the world but as Morldark continues to spread his influence, the smaller their number yet harder it is to hide their presence. 

When Myrina reached the yard with no protection from the guardian, she jumped to the west forest where it's known for growing many medicinal herbs. When she landed on her feet, the breeze pushed past her loose hair and she could smell the meadow as if there is no war going on and everything seemed just right. She stood in that place for a couple of minutes, feeling small freedom from the suffocating air of the war has brought her. Myrina used to have dreams— of seeing the vast world and venturing into the unknown. Maybe she still does have dreams or maybe a dream- to put an end to this war. 

Just that—ending the war, because she knew that when this war ends, there is no freedom waiting for her or even family as if they knew what she had done, they would probably loathe her. And that's okay, because for Myrina if it takes for her hands to get dirty just to end this war, she will.

 

 

Jump- an act of teleportation. Though distance matters, no one can jump from one country to country.

1