Chapter 73: Preparation for Counterattack
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Demon continent Alsace in the year 307, in the 10th month of Asmodum, on the 26th day after the collapse of the empire.

 

 

She had tried to recover as much as possible while following the Larrua under the leadership of Eder, and Lerna also seemed to be more energized. The arcane energy she directed through her body to refresh it and eliminate tension and fatigue from her muscles and limbs was undoubtedly a tremendous help. She did the same for Lerna but held back when it came to doing it for the Larrua. Apparently, they didn't know that they could refresh their bodies by allowing their own arcane energy to flow through them. With a shrug, she let go of that thought and focused on what she could perceive from the outside world through her domain. The range of her domain was now as vast as it was before her death, and she could see far beyond the city's borders, observing what was happening in the jungle surrounding them.

 

It seemed that Meinoume had been able to subjugate several other tribes of the Larrua. A small army was forming in front of the city, and more and more Larrua seemed to emerge from the depths of the jungle, joining this new threat to them and the city. Meinoume's new army was not yet as large as the one they had fought before, but it was difficult to say in what condition it was and whether their allies were still capable of facing another army. The losses they had suffered, along with the injuries they had sustained, were significant. Even though they had the golems on their side again, just as they did this morning, it hadn't helped them then. Who's to say that we haven't overlooked a follower of Meinoume who could disable the golems or, worse, use them against us? Similar thoughts she could sense from Eder and the officers. At least I'm not the only one worried that we might be in a worse position this time than we were this morning.

 

Something else caught her attention: there were demons lurking at two points in the jungle. One group seemed to be avoiding being seen by the city, while the other group aimed to remain unseen altogether. Both were suspicious. From one group of demons, a faint flow of arcane energy could be felt, snaking its way towards the newly forming army. However, on its way there, it branched off into smaller streams, leading to a Larrua standing at the end of the army. She had only half-listened to the conversations between Eder and the officers, and her full attention was not on them. "We might be able to prevent the battle by eliminating the puppeteers," she interjected, abruptly interrupting the discussions around her. She almost ran into the Larrua standing in front of her, who, like the others, had stopped and observed her. Only then did she refocus her full concentration on the here and now. It seems I'm more exhausted than I thought if I can get so lost in something and not even fully perceive my surroundings or act in this way without anyone noticing that something is amiss.

 

"That is indeed a possibility, similar to what you did in the tunnels around Diva's prison," Eder pondered aloud before shaking his head in disagreement. "But we don't know where the priests of Meinoume, who control this army, are located. Without knowing that, we don't need to send a squad to confront and defeat them. Especially when we can't guarantee that we won't lose this squad to Meinoume as soon as they leave the city's protection." Her expression didn't reflect her questioning, as Eder claimed that the L

 

arrua were safe in the city. She hadn't been able to sense Diva's aura for quite some time, and she had never felt it within the city.

 

"But I know where I can find them; we just have to follow the arcane currents," she said, not needing to bind the Larrua to the marsh as she gauged the extent of her domain. "And I don't even need your support; I could set off now while you draw attention to yourselves by preparing for the battle."

 

Even without Eder's and the other important Larrua's approval, she would likely go ahead with it and sneak out of the city to confront the demons alone. "Are you sure you can do that?" Eder asked, directing his question to her, and she could sense in his mind that he hoped she could do what she had said, as it could prevent further bloodshed.

 

"Yes, I can, if I set off immediately, a..." she couldn't continue as one of the officers, whom she didn't know, interrupted her. "It's as if she only wants to save her own skin, and for that, a mission like this, where we send her alone, would be perfect."

 

Eder began to defend her, but she cut him off. Using her telekinesis, she lifted him abruptly into the air and let him float just a few inches away from her face. "Do you really think you can stop me?" she asked him, giving him a toothy smile, while holding him with telekinesis and spreading his mind before her, not allowing his body to move. The other Larrua still hadn't reacted when she simply let him fall and started running towards the demons controlling the Larrua.

 

"You don't have to worry, Eder. I'll take care of it," she called over her shoulder as she began to run.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Today he would have the chance to regain his lord's favor by capturing the Titaness Diva. Everything had gone well, and they were almost reaching Diva's dungeon, obtaining the key to bring all the Larrua under Meinoume's control. But suddenly, his troops had lost faith, and through visions from the spirits of his lord's believers, right before they left him, they could see that a demoness was aiding the Larrua. He hadn't recognized her immediately. After all, she was just a baby when he lost his arm to her. At the thought, he stroked his petrified arm. Today, however, he would have a new chance to capture her for his master and an opportunity to avenge his petrified arm.

1