Chapter 75 – Predictably, they start fighting.
111 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Well, terrified me for a moment, anyway.

...

I had another spoonful of soup. It was good.

...

"So..." I began. Where the heck does this conversation go from this point? 

"Are you serious?" S asked Catface. Oh, thank God, S is doing this. Phew. "You're seriously telling us that the Dark Lord, is not only real, but that you intend to revive them just so you can fight them?" 

"Well... Revives a bit of a strong... Well, yeah, basically. That's the gist of it anyway." Catface said, taking a sip of their fruity drink.  

"And you think you can win?" S questioned.

"Well..." Catface looked up, thought about it for a bit, before continuing. "Depends, really. Should be fun regardless, though."

Depends on what, I wonder.

"You're crazy." S said.

"That doesn't mean much, comin' from you." Catface said.

"You're crazy." I said.

"I resent that accusation." Catface said, taking a bite of their tuna. Then, they downed the rest of their drink in one go, which didn't help their case much, to be honest. "Plus," They continued after gulping the thing down and turning over to S, "You-" they burped. "You'd probably do the same thing, given the chance." 

S paused, for a bit, probably thinking about that. 

"Not if I was certain I'd die." S said. 

"Can you ever be certain, though?" Catface said. That's a pretty good point, actually. "I mean, you're certainly no stranger to impossible odds, are you?"

S's eyes twitched. 

Catface continued eating.

As did I. Soups good. 

"Well, anyways, I've gotten what I needed." Catface began, as they were almost done with their meal. They left a few scraps, but, anyways, "As much as I'd love to stay and chat, I'm scheduled to be on in half an hour, I gotta dash." 

"So... you got an appointment, or something?" I asked. Pretty weird that they asked us out to dinner with such a tightly packed schedule.

"Something like that." Catface said. "Though, they don't know about it yet..." They added, a little quieter.  Then they stood up. "Anyways, I'm heading out." They said.

S also stood up, pouring a half dozen gold coins on the table. It was at that point that I realized that S hasn't actually eaten anything yet. 

"What're you doing?" I asked S.

"I'm gonna stab her the second we get out of here." He explained.

"Of course you are." Catface said, chuckling. 

"W-wait, no-" I said.

I was interrupted by them both bolting out the door at incredible speed. 

I got up, and followed them outside as quickly as I could. 

Unfortunately, I am a lot slower than they are, it seems, as by the time I got outside, they were nowhere to be found. All that remained as proof they'd been there, were trails and puddles of blood, going in several directions.

Most of them, maybe even all of them, are fake, I assume. An illusion, or something. Obviously there's no way that much blood could be spilled in such a short amount of time. I hope.

I had no idea where they might have gone. It was rather late, so there wasn't anyone on the street I could ask, and the guards who were supposed to be watching this area are currently drinking their guts out in the inn. 

I began looking around, frantically, trying to figure out where the went.

Okay, okay, uhm, they could've run towards the edge of town, somewhere more open, or maybe out of town, somehow, or maybe they ran partway into town, then dipped into an alley, away from prying eyes, or maybe they booked it towards the shopping area for some reason, or... uh... 

Wait! Under that light- Ooh, actually, I've never noticed those before. What kinda light is that? It looks almost like a gas lit lantern, hanging from a wall, but instead of a flame, it's got some weird, bright ball that almost looks like one of those white Christmas lights. What is that, magic, or something? Cool stuff. 

Wait, no, no, friends killing each other, focus. Okay, so, there's a bit of sand under that light. Okay, guess I'll follow the blood trail near that!

I ran into town a little ways, but eventually the blood trail split into two ways, one heading towards town, the other into an alley. Okay, uh, let's see... Uhm, probably wouldn't be a good idea to run into town, right? So, logic says they went down the alley. I check the alley!

Crap, dead end! What kinda alley is this, anyways!? Was this always here? Anyways, shoot, I chose wron-

Oh, hold on, ring of sand right there, why is there a ring of sand there? Did they, like, come in here and then change their minds, or... No, they went up! Catface can fly! Duh! I bet they got here, Catface flew to get away, and S chased them up to the rooftops with his weird sand pillar thingy he used earlier. Wait, can that even go that high up? Maybe he climbed some of the way? That seems like something S would be good at. Ah, shoot, anyways, I gotta get up there. 

I created the holes, and put one of them up on the rooftops. As I did, I noticed a peculiar bit of trash down here in the alley, a broken, glass bottle. Did one of them drink a potion, or something? Anyways, I warped up to the rooftops.   

It was about at that point that I realized that, realistically, once Catface started flying, there's no way S would be able to catch them. 

I hopped through the hole, and saw S angrily staring out at the sky, about 10 feet away from the edge of the roof, his rage palpable. Catface was a pretty good distance away, both vertically and horizontally, heading towards the town proper, probably to another alley, or something. S had lost his chase.

"S, you wont b-" I began, before S began sprinting again.

It was about at that point that I realized it was kinda weird that he was standing 10 feet away from the edge of the roof, right? 

I thought back to that broken, discarded bottle, and remembered the kinds of potions S bought earlier. 

S sprinted about 10 feet, with both hands pointing under him. 

He created a sand pillar underneath him just before he reached the edge,

and he jumped.

Like, I swear, he leapt several dozen feet into the air. As he did, a loud eagles cry pierced the air. Which, frankly, didn't make a lot of sense, given the location and current time of day.

S was heading straight at Catface.

I was at a loss for words. 

All I could do was stand there with my mouth agape, as I saw S grapple Catface, flying 40 feet above the ground.

I was at a loss for words.

5