Chapter 76 – There, upon that roof.
106 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What...

What do I even do here? 

I mean, I can barely see what they're doing!

I think... I think they're currently having what is probably the coolest duel in the history of this town, flying dozens of feet above the shopping district, which, I imagine, is probably gonna get pretty packed with viewers in a couple seconds. 

It's hard to tell, but, I think I see some sort of weird clashing of blades, S has one hand hanging on, the other hand repeatedly trying to stab a very confused and probably flustered Catface, who's currently holding off those strikes with... A small sword of some kind? A little hard to tell. They're doing surprisingly well, given the circumstances. Especially since they're still maintaining flight, though it's kind of... Bobbing a little. 

Wait, nope, no time to think about that. Gotta get them out of sight, and, maybe, on solid ground, if at all possible. Okay, uhm, okay, well, while I'm fairly confident that Catface would be able to simply fly out of the way of the holes, under normal conditions, I seriously doubt they're paying enough attention to notice it right now. These are not normal conditions.

Anyways, I created the holes, just plopped one in the air next to me, and, holding the other hole, I squinted real hard. Okay, I think they're gonna be...

THERE, GO, GO, GO-

I threw the hole as hard as I could, over to their fight. Really, I didn't have to throw it, as I just, like, made it go where I needed it to go with my brain, but I wasn't really thinking straight. Felt like a hard throw moment. 

Embarrassingly, my initial catch was nowhere near close, so I had to move the hole a bit. Long range, precise hole-making is rather difficult. 

After some shifting and making the thing bigger, I was able to catch them, and they plopped down on the roof. At this point, I summoned my NWTs, and just kinda ran in there, letting my tentacles block the blows as I tried to pry the two of them apart. 

To my surprise, there was very little blood spilled between them. Also, Catface was still wearing the cat ears. Their battle seemed to locked in a stalemate of sorts. Oh, and it looked like Catface's weapon was a weird rod made of ice. Pretty cool. Heh. Cool, cus it's like, ice... Oh, crap, Catface just used my arm to block one of S's stabs. Ow. 

Despite everything, I was able to pull the both of them apart. Just barely, and at the cost of taking a number of hits. But when I did, I was nowhere close to being able to hold them off, and I somehow ended up getting shoved to the ground, so they just went right back to fighting, as if I wasn't there at all. Catface was backpedaling towards the edge of the roof, deftly parrying S's unrelenting attacks with their ice stick thingy, and dodging the bits of sand S was throwing. And S was throwing out all those attacks with the force and speed of a hurricane. 

I was just close enough to them that I could hear their breathing. It was heavy, hard, and seemed painful. It was a little scary.

I ended up just... Sitting there, on the ground, for a little while. Just watching their fight. It was beyond me. I just couldn't keep up. I could hardly tell what was happening. 

I could barely see Catface's face. I'd expected them to be grinning evilly or chuckling or something like that, but they just looked... Blank. Maybe a little unnerved. 

S wasn't facing me, so I don't know what kind of face he was making. I couldn't really tell what he was thinking. But... Normally, he seems like he's having fun while he's fighting, which, admittedly, is pretty weird and scary all on it's own, but, here, he didn't seem like he was having fun at all. I didn't really know what he was feeling. 

It was foreign. It was terrifying. I couldn't stand it. 

I wonder if it felt familiar to me.    

The two of them kept fighting, and Catface continued to inch closer and closer to the edge, where, presumably, they would fall, fly off, and it would end. Or maybe S would jump and catch them again, and things would just keep going. Hard to say what would happen.

I never did find out.

Strangely, everything seemed to slow down. Time almost seemed to have stopped. And then the realizations set in.

From where I was sitting, I could tell that if I even tried to keep up, the only result would be me getting burnt. Or worse, all of us getting burnt. In truth, I think I knew that from the start. 

There I was. Sitting on the floor. Well, the roof, rather. What building is this, anyways? Anyways, point is, I wasn't doing anything. 

I was just... There. I was always kind of just... There. The whole time, I was content just being there. 

Yet, where I was, there on that roof, I wasn't content. Why was that? 

Was it because of my incompetence? 

Was it my failure to stop this? 

Was it the fact that I knew that one of them might end up injured or even dead because of this? 

Was it....

Was it...

Was it the fact that I'm here?

Catface was only a step or two away from the edge, and S was ready to jump once again. And I wasn't there. I was here.

Time seemed to resume again. 

I got up, and I ran. I wanted to be there. 

More than anything else. 

Now, thinking about it, I could have probably just warped one of them away. I could have just done that from the start. It would have saved everyone plenty of time.

But I didn't do that. Instead, I ran. 

Catface fell off the roof.

S braced himself to jump.

I ran.

Catface began to rise, and fly above the roofs once again. 

S had begun to jump.

I ran. I ran, and I grabbed S. I found myself hugging him from behind. 

"Please..." I said. I wasn't sure what I meant by that. At that point, I found that my face was all wet.

Catface flew off.

S had stopped.

It was over.

...

S was still breathing heavily from the fight.

I listened.

I was there. I continued to cry. 

I closed my eyes. It was at that point that I realized how much pain I was in. Every part of my body, all at once, seemed to give way. I clung on harder. Probably cried harder, too.

And S was there. 

...

...

I don't know how long we were up there, together. But we were there for some time. 

"Sorry..." I heard, quietly, through heavy breath.

"...And thank you."

5