Chapter 100? – A special chapter.
132 7 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Huh. Well, this certainly seems familiar.

Though, I do get the feeling that a certain amount of weirdly targeted passive aggression is missing. Which feels a little oddly specif-

"This is no time for dry meta humor. We have a title card to get to." DYN2 said, bursting in, and once again being the sun, for some reason.

"But I didn't say that out loud." I point out.

"Trivial things like that don't matter in the variety show dimension. Anyways, BRING ON THE TITLE CARD!"

"Naturally, a star needs to show up in the intro!"

"Right, we're also here, for some reason."

"I'm also here this time. Cool."

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!

(lie)

ANOTHER VARIETY SHOW!

FEATURING:
NEW FANTASTIC WORKS OF 'ART'! 

"Like this one."

ICONIC, BELOVED CHARACTERS LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN THEM BEFORE!

"This guy's had, like, a dozen lines at most."

NEW CHARACTERS!

"New character, technically. Singular."

OLD CHARACTERS! 

Real meeting of the minds, that one. 

AND SO, SO MUCH MORE! STAY TUNED!

COMING TO YOU, (not) LIVE FROM THE VARIETY SHOW DIMENSION, IT'S THE BLLGRASFSH CHAPTER 100 SPECIAL CHAPTER VARIETY SHOW POWER HOUR! 

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

"That's a bit excessive, isn't it?"


"Right, Beyes, I've been wondering this for a while, but does your condition impact your eyesight at all?"

"Actually, it sort of helps, believe it or not. According to my old optometrist, my eyes are bad enough that, under normal circumstances, I would need glasses. But, since I'm always squinting, my eyes refocus themselves."

"Huh. That doesn't make much sense."

"That's what my optometrist said, too."

"Huh." 


"What's the point of this bit?"

"There isn't one. Just looks funny."

"Huh. Cool."


(both of them greatly enjoyed that encounter)


"Ok ok, so, you might be wondering how a creature who's only means of defense against predators is killing itself can exist and evolve in an ecosystem. It's actually pretty interesting." 

"See, whenever this fish explodes, it sends out a ton of tiny little bits of debris, only visible to the naked eye upon very close inspection, and the kind of debris that is pushed out varies depending on the sex of the particular fish. For females, the debris is actually a barrage of eggs that spread throughout the entire body of water, and, for males, the debris is the substance that fertilizes those eggs, thus allowing them to grow and eventually hatch and create offspring. Ironically, these fish depend on predators, (like bigger fish or fishers) to actually reproduce, or face they might extinction. Pretty interesting, right?"

"Right?"


*flip*

*sniff*

*yawn sfx*

"Uh... Why're we here, again? There ain't nothin' happenin'."

"Beats me." 


Say, do you ever feel like life can be... Inconsistent? Like, you swear something happened like this, but actually it happened like this? Or something that just didn't make sense, perhaps shouldn't have even been possible, given all the information you have? It happens to the best of us. Sometimes it feels like reality just hiccups every so often. In truth, it's almost scary how little we can trust our own minds and memories.

"Well, sometimes you just don't have all the information."

And sometimes it's this guy's fault.

"Yeah, sometimes it's me. Hi! You don't know who I am. And that's okay, you don't need to. Just know this: I've been here for a while."

He's a real bastard.

"Yeah, I won't argue with that. See, I have 2 major hobbies. And those are pickpocketing and reverse pickpocketing. I get a real kick out of it. Not sure why. That's really all you need to know about me. Oh, and there's also this thing where major characters and protagonist types can't see me and are rarely able to acknowledge my presence. It doesn't come up much. Except for that one time..." 

"Man, why do we always have that empty seat in the middle of the classroom? Who planned th-"

"Teacher! That guy's right there, remember?"

"Yeah, think there was some weird rom-com thing going on back in weapons class. Which, normally wouldn't have been a problem, but the teacher was somehow a part of it, I think, so he couldn't see me. Got a little awkward at some points." 

But that's not why this guy's here today, is it?

Say, do you recall anything odd about, well, every chapter after 38?

Think about it. We'll give you some time to think, don't worry. 

"Take all the time you need."

Or you could just skip ahead, to the answer. We have no way to enforce anything. Actually, you should probably do that anyways.

. . .

. . .

That's right! 

A majority of chapter 38 was about Beyes obtaining something to write with so that he could purchase a can of nondescript, copyright free cola. In the end, while he was able to briefly use a writing tool (a quill and ink), he never actually obtained anything that would allow him to write later. Yet, in chapter 49 going forward, he's able to purchase cola, and, thus, write anyways! What's up with that? 

"It's me. I'm up with that."

Wowie zowie! Gee, how'd you manage that one, buddy?

"Why are you talking like that."

Just tell the story.

"Alright. So, it's quite simple, really. So, first, it was just a normal day in Starsford. Seemed that way, at least. I was walkin' around, doing my thing, and I decided I'd take a shortcut that I use every now and then, a lesser used and kinda creepy alleyway a few minutes away from that one blacksmith. And, to my surprise..."

"... there was a corpse on the ground! Well, almost a corpse. Think he was still alive. And he was right in my path! It was crazy! Also, there was a sickle on the ground, for some reason. Weird place for farming equipment, right? Oh, and he was loaded! Naturally, I took the liberty of snatching his coin pouch. I noticed that the guy's hands were bound with sand, of all things. I figured this was the work of that 'S' guy I'd heard about, so I just left the guy alone after that. But, see, now I was carrying around all this cash with me. That's not good, I was basically asking to get mugged. Anyways, I decided to spend my newfound fortune on a bunch of pencils." 

"I tend to buy weird stuff with pilfered profits. Not sure why. Anyways, for a while after that, I just started handing out pencils. And by 'handing out', I mean I was randomly placing them in peoples pockets. Sometimes on their ears, if I was looking for a real challenge. It was pretty fun. Anyways, a day or so later, I'm down in the town of Basenholm. Nice place. Basically nobody can see me there, so it's a great place to lie low and relax."

"Anyway, while I was there, I happened to see some strange looking green fella having the weirdest discussion with some kid who clearly couldn't possibly care any less, in front of this weird red box. Didn't seem like either of them could see me, so I decided to give the both of them the last of my pencils."

"So, yep. That's that. That's how that happened. As you can see, it was the consequence of an entirely logical and simple chain of events that could have happened to anyone."

Of course.

"Yeah." 

"Whelp, that's all I've got for today. I'll probably be back soon enough, though. I have plenty more stories to tell, and I'm sure I'll just be getting more and more as things go on."

Undoubtedly. 

Undoubtedly...


"Hey! You make things, right?"

"Hm? What? Where did you come from? And wh-"

"Not important! Could you make me a grenade launcher? I'll give you a looooooooott of money!" 

"A grenade launcher?"

"Thing that launches a thing that explodes after a bit. Like, tchk, boom! Tchk, boom! Like that."

 

"Hmm..." 

"Couldn't you just use magic for that?"

"It'd be fun as a prop!"

"What are you talking ab-"

"THAT SOUNDS AWESOME! ALSO, HI CATFACE!"

"This guy gets it!"


Riveting.

The simple locked door. There's no older enemy for most adventurers. It's a tale as old as time, really. 

So, how do our heroes fare against this ancient test? 


"Easy enough. Neat." 


"NO LOCK IN THE WORLD CAN COTAIN A TRUE HERO!"


"Good thing I learned how to pick comically large ancient locks that one time!"


"Who cares?"

Wait, no, that's not how this is supposed to go.

"I don't care."

W-wait, what if we put a... Lake back there? Or something?

"Ok, fine."

Wait, where are you going?

"Gonna get the key, obviously."

Oh.

. . .

We'll come back to her.


"Hmmm... How should I..."

. . .

"Eh, whatever."

Wha- You too, of all peo-

"FLYING BATTERING RAM!" 

oh


*tchk chk* 

 

"Why am I even here?"


"I found it."

Excellent work.


"I found the key ages ago, but I made another one out of sand." 


"Oh. Back here again. Guess that means..."

"Yep. It's about over, once again."

"Huh. So I guess that means..."

"Yep. I'm gonna hit you in the gut again, and we're gonna be back in the field."

"I see."

. . .

"Got anything you wanna say before that?" 

"Nope. Nothing."

"Huh."

. . .

"Anyone else?"

"Not really, but a star's gotta show up for the ending!"

"THANK YOU, EVERYBODY!!!"

"Right, did you know that, back in the intro sequence, the frame under 'NEW FANTASTIC WORKS OF 'ART'!' was actually a re-used frame from the last variety show?"

"You got anything to say, Zram?"

"N-no, I-I'm good."

"ThisPlaceIs...MostPeculiar..."

"We're here too, for some reason..."

"Right we are. Though, I reckon we're gonna need more space soon." 

. . .

"Right, almost forgot about that guy! Man, I'm gettin' all nostalgic!"

"Why is he still passed out?"

"I wouldn't *hic* worry about it. Looksss fine to me! Thumbbbsss up!"

"Pat! Quit acting foolish in front of heroes!"

"Bah, 'tis a shame we'll not be here much longer. This realm's simply teeming with magic!" 

"I do hope you've been safe with your experiments, Maurice. I don't want to see another 'chicken incident." 

"Ohoho! Quite the ensemble we have here! How exciting!" 

"Oh my, it's getting rather crowded in here, isn't it?" 

"Let me in, too!"

"Ameila! You mustn't run just off like that!" 

"Amelia! Are you alright?"

"Is... Is that everyone?"

"Right. Looks like nobody else is comin'."

"Yeah. Man, I was starting to think knife guy was gonna show up." 

"Who?"

"Oh, uh, don't worry about it." 

"Anyways, should we, uh, end this off?"

"How?"

"Uh... what Michaus said works."

"Works for me!"

"YEAH! AWESOME!" 

"Alright, uh, I guess just whenever everyone's read-"

"THANK YOU, EVERYBODY!!!" 

"... Yeah, that works."

"Anyways, with that over with, I'm gonna hit you with this giant key now."

"Yeah. Just, uh, if you don't mind-"

"Shh... Just close your eyes, and think about shuffleboard, or something."

*Pfough!*

. . .

"Hey! Thanks from us, too!"

Yes, many thanks indeed! It was a pleasure having you. 

Coming to you, not quite live from the variety show dimension, it's been the BLLGRASFH chapter 100 special chapter variety show power hour. We thank you for tuning in, and we hope to see you again soon.

Good night, everybody.

4