Chapter 141 – Violence in the church is frowned upon.
59 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The invader sat down in the pew closest to the door without a shred resistance, as the man in steel stood, towering over him, asserting his authority. The guards decided to stand on either side of him, because they thought it would look cool.

Nobody else in the room was particularly amused, but they were satisfied, nonetheless. 

The man in steel placed his mace aside, leaning the handle against another pew, with the head on the floor.

"Despite appearances, I'd really like this to go down smoothly." The man in steel explained. "Violence within the church is frowned upon, after all. Though, when done righteously... Well, there's nothing we can't scrub out of the floors. At any rate, if you talk, we'll let you go off unharmed. By the light, I swear it. Understand?"  

"Threatening me is pointless." The man in the pew said. "I'll talk."  

"Glad to hear it."

'For someone that repeatedly insists he's doesn't have any authority,'

'He sure is good at throwing it around.' The guards thought.

"First off, who are you?" Said the man in steel.

"A drifter."

"An adventurer?"

"No. Don't have the stomach for it. Dangerous. Social. Prefer to keep to myself. Safe." 

"Then, by the light, what are you doing here? By the light, threatening the lives of trained guards is hardly the safest activity there is."

'Lol. Trained, he said. Pfft.'

'Haha, trained. Lol.' The guards thought.

"Had no choice. Didn't want to." The man in the pew said.

"And how's that?"

"Employer."

"So, you did it for money?" 

"Normally I wouldn't. Don't like it. But he... My employer..." The invader looked down towards his feet.  "I-I... I couldn't deny. Too powerful. Too strong. He shouldn't be. Too strong. Shouldn't. Too strong..."

"By the light, focus, man. What are you talking about? Start at the beginning, talk slowly."

The man in the pew breathed deeply, collecting himself. "I can... More or less figure out how dangerous things are. Quickly." The man explained. "Necessary for survival. Will spare the details. In a tavern, by myself. Seedy part of town. Nasty place. Violent. Sometimes."

"I thought you didn't like danger?"

"Don't. I go once every few months. Sate nostalgia. I'm known there. People leave me alone. Except last time. Last time... I wish I'd grown ill. He walked in. Branch. I'd known of him. Seen him before. Was a big deal in some cities. Big criminal. Strong, too. Ruthless. Violent. Very violent. Deceptively smart. Commanded a small army at one point. Not one I'd concern myself with."

"Yet, here we are."   

"Indeed. Despite everything, he was far from the strongest I've met. Wasn't even up there." Once again, he breathed deeply. "Was. This day, he... He was different. Strong. Too strong. I'd heard he defected recently. That's rare. Rarer still that they ever show their face in public again. Nobody knew how. More importantly, why. Apparently he was searching for something before he left. I'm sure that was the reason. He found something. Great and terrible. He kept it secret. Nobody knew. Nobody could see it. He was powerful. I could tell. He was... Only seen anything like it once before. It wasn't natural. It wasn't right. Nothing should be like that. It was too much then, and now... It's not right. It shouldn't exist. I don't know why, but he came up to me. I didn't get it. Still don't. I didn't have a choice. I didn't..."

The man in steel waited for a moment before he talked. He wanted to give the man time to breathe. "You mentioned before that he 'defected.' Defected from what?"

"'The ring.' 'The business.' 'The organization.' A million names. None real. None matter. Anyways, far, far from here. Not a concern."

"I see... How... Just how strong was this 'Branch?'"

"Before? Fairly. Was a big deal for a reason. Now? The destructive abilities of a volcano. And then some. No, not some. A lot. That wouldn't even begin to scratch it. It's not right. It shouldn't exist."

'Oooh, spooky.'

'Yeah, how freeeeeaky.' 

"So you say." The man in steel said, reasonably skeptical. "But if that's true, why are we still here? Why isn't he here, himself?"

"That... I don't know. That scares me more. Why attack this place? Why cross the river like that? Why this crew? Why me? Why send us out individually? For what purpose? What does he want us to do? What does 'do what you do best' even mean? Why not just go himself? He could! Could a thousand, million times over! This isn't like him... Strange. Stupid. Why here? What's here? What reason? Why? I don't... It doesn't make sense." He paused, and looked back up at the man in steel. "It's terrifying."

 The man in steel simply nodded. "I see."

"Are you" "okay, guy?" The guards decided to speak up.

"Usually."

"Hey, how strong is the captain?" They asked in unison.

"By the light, quit it, you two-"

"Plenty. Can tell. He's scary."

"Think he" "could take him?"

"No. Nobody... Nothing can. Seen such power before. Been this close to it. Can't compare it to creatures. None alive, at least. Stands above. Far, far above."

"I believe we've heard enough." The man in steel said. "We're going in circles. Is there anything else you can tell us?" 

"Only so much known. Hasn't told us anything. Almost thankful for that. Don't think he wants to kill. Surprisingly. If he did, you'd all be dead by now."

The guards unsuccessfully held back their laughter. 

"Doubt his motivation is good. He's a bad man. A terrible man. The worst kind. I shudder to imagine what thoughts... What things he'll do. I... I have nothing. I'm sorry." He concluded, bowing his head. 

"Do you know where he is now?" 

"Oh. That is known. Old ruins. Forest. Camping past the 2nd door."

"I see. How many of you are there?"

"Were 7 of us, including him. Now 6. Might change again."

"I see. Is that everything?"  

"Indeed. All known."

"I see." The man in steel said, nodding. He paused, collected his thoughts for a moment. "If what you said is true, we're in trouble." He said. "That being said," The man continued, taking up a lighter, more casual tone. "By the light, I can assure you that as long as I am present, no harm will befall the people of this town. My neighbors all the feel the same. By the light, we'll laughing about this when the sun rises once more."

The man in the pew simply sighed. "It seems you don't understand. Fair. Don't blame you. Reasonable to think me a loon. For your sakes, I pray that is the case. Rather... I pray he has mercy."

"Well, regardless," The man in steel began. "You're now free to go, do as you please."

"Wait, captain," "are you sure?" "He's probably gonna" "run back to the guy, right?" "In the first place, can we even trust what he's said?" The guards said in unison. 

"No intention of returning to him. Failed. Too dangerous. Run while I still can."

"Regardless, by the light, we're in no state to keep a prisoner. We need everyone on guard. Plus, it wouldn't be right. I believe he's suffered enough." 

"If you say so, captain." The guards said in unison.

"And I'm captain of nothing!" He said, despite literally just ordering the guards around. He sighed, and looked back at the man in the pew, "I'd advise you head immediately for the bridge. Tensions in town might be rather rough, you understand." 

The guards stepped aside and kept the weapons at ease. The mace stayed on the floor.   

The man cautiously stood up. "Of course. Will be running as far as possible. Fast. Though, before I go, there is one thing I must ask." He said.

"Oh? By the light, ask away."

"That red thing. Near the inn, correct? Where did that come from?"

"Oh, that? By the light, I don't know. Don't think anyone does. It just... Showed up one day. Why, do you know what it is?"

"It is familiar to me. Little nostalgic, actually. Friends of mine, long ago... And... No. I can't say." He shook his head, briefly. "Anyway. If possible, I will return to this place in the future. Appears to be more than I realized. Will investigate. I pray that the town remains when I return." 

"By the light, it will. And, while I can't speak for my neighbors, you'll always be welcome here, in this church."

"Appreciated. And goodbye." He said swiftly as he left just as quick. As soon as he cracked open the door, he produced a wand from beneath his sleeve, and after a moment, simply vanished, leaving behind only rushed footsteps, heading for the bridge.  

"Pfft." "What" "a" "weirdo." The guards joked.

"This is no time for jokes." The man in steel said. "We don't know how many more there are, and we don't know when they'll come. We still don't even know what they want. Going forward, we'll need to be on high alert. What happened to Zramazos need not be repeated."

"Oh" "yeah." "Forgot" "about" "him."

The man in steel stared at them angrily through the dark slits in his helmet.

"By the light... Just get back to work, you two. With greater vigilance. I'll be joining you this time, as well."

"Aye aye, captain." Said the guards.

"I'm not-... Oh, just get moving."

3