Chapter 32: Before I knew it… There was more than I asked for.
102 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After flares died down, everyone took a deep breath, stepping forward to discuss everything that was known. Even though everything sounded like a fantasy, thanks to Melody being able to back up what I said. Most of it was undeniable. The boys had no choice but to take everything at face value, no matter how ridiculous it appeared.

Especially with all the events that had happened, the fact that the rogue witches had gotten their hands on a new type of wolfsbane was indisputable. Throughout the entire conversation, I could not take my hands off Fenris. In return, he also held me back, not wanting to be separated from me ever again. It was obvious that if I were not with him, that I would find my way to him.

An hour passed before Amara came into the room again. This time, she seemed a bit jumpier than the last time. And it did not seem to be because of how she had found us previously. Something else bothered her. When Fenris asked her what was wrong, she pointed towards the outside of the cabin.

"There are a lot of angry Lycans outside. Most of them will not listen to reason. And they are demanding Lilith's head." Amara announced, causing Liam to rush outside.

Melody stayed in the room with us.

"For what reason do they want her?" Fenris questioned, angered by Amara's news, holding me tighter to his body.

My wolf's grip on me was almost smothering.

"From what I heard; they believe that we could have saved all the Lycans she released. They don’t listen to me when I tell them it was the same as the night of the explosions. My squad is keeping them outside, but their numbers seem to grow." Amara informed, warily glancing back outside.

Shade climbed onto Fenris's shoulder, seemly annoyed too. She would make a snack out of anyone who came to harm me.

"I will speak with them." Fenris sighed.

I clung to him for dear life, not wanting him to leave me behind ever again.

"No... I do not want to be away from you!" I protested.

It triggered Fenris to shake his head. There was no way he would allow me to accompany him towards the hot-headed Lycans, who wanted me served on a platter.

"Lily, stay here. We can be pretty dense, but do not worry, I will make them listen." Fenris reassured me of his intentions.

I kept my hold on him. He was not leaving me behind. Never again.

"No! Maybe I can say something, too. After all, I euthanized their family members. I understand their anger." I tried to sway Fenris.

Before he could say anything to protest, Amara stepped forward.

"Lilith... all you did was make a choice that had to be made. And it was a hard one that not many can do." Amara began catching everyone's eyes.

Even though she was trained to save lives, she knew when there was no hope. In her eyes, she viewed what I had done not as a crime but as a kindness.

"Some humans that witnessed what you did, called you an angel of mercy. This is exactly how I see what you did. The ones who were not around to be affected by your spell. They ran close to town.” She began, clasping her hands into her arms.

“Sadly, most of them ended up tearing into the townspeople and themselves by the end of their mania. Most gouged out their own eyes and tried to rip out their necks before they expired. I doubt the stupid hot-headed Lycans outside, would enjoy placing their family to rest with disfigurements." Amara stated without veering for a second away from my gaze.

It was almost as if she was thanking me. For preventing the pain and suffering of the ones I sent into their eternal slumber.

"Angel of mercy... yes, I think that is a very fitting title for you Lily." Melody smiled, feeling the same way.

Fenris chuckled a bit before nuzzling into my cheek.

"Yes indeed. She looked like an angel." He smiled, caressing my cheek ever so tenderly.

I could not believe the words that had escaped their mouths.

‘Me, an angel? They must be blind or utterly mistaken.’

After all, angels were the messenger of the gods and were portrayed as beautiful. I could never be anything like that, but... I knew I had to face the people who were angered by what I had done. Even though I had stopped their family members from suffering a worse death, I had still robbed them of time. The time they could have had with their loved ones.

"You... I think you are crazier than I am." I mumbled, feeling embarrassed by their analysis of the situation.

They were a delusional bunch.

"Well, I am not hearing voices in my head like you, but I know that what you did for Owen was a mercy he asked for. So... thank you Lily for helping our friend find peace." Fenris smiled.

I growled a bit in response to his comment about the voices in my head. I did not want his thanks either.

"Well... if we are going to talk about the voices in my head. They demand you to be mine forever. And for me to stand by your side no matter what. That includes the angry pack of wolves." I pouted, not wanting to be left behind anymore.

Being thanked was something unnecessary, too. All I desired was for their pain to end. Especially when I had broken one rule set by witches and warlocks within the organization. What I had done was close to necromancy. A forbidden branch of witchcraft that I once thought was a myth. Obviously, the corpses made it more real than ever before.

"Lily, I do not know." Fenris sighed, not wanting to expose me to danger.

A foolish thought, since there was no holding back what and who I was anymore. Everyone was going to find out. There was no holding that back anymore. I would become a target no matter what I did. But maybe if they heard my side, maybe it would be different.

"I have lived in a world of hate all my life, Fenris. A couple of angry wolves will not be much different." I assured him.

Though his expression of conflict allowed me to know he would not give in. But it was no use. If he did not take me, I would follow on my own. Even if I had to crawl there. Grabbing onto his left hand with my right, I connected the two halves of the moon, smiling at him.

If what he said was true. That I was his world then… I would not allow him to leave me behind.

"I want to live with you. Next to you... not behind you." I added.

My words triggered Fenris to pull me into a light kiss. A soft smile rose on his lips.

"Demanding. Keep showing me these new sides of you. I love them." Fenris teased, licking my hand, noticing he had no way to win this one.

In response to his tease, I tugged on his ear when he leaned in to lick my lip, too. Shade jumped onto his head.

“Dumbass wolf, you aren’t isolated here.” She huffed, reminding him we were not alone in the room.

Melody skittishly glanced away. Amara, though, seemed to study us instead of being flustered by our show of affection. Something about us interested her, but it was something she would not say just yet.

“Yeah, yeah. I just…” Fenris began, rolling her eyes at Shade.

"Do not worry little wolf, she has me too," she announced, pawing his hair.

A small chuckle left his lips when he grabbed her and placed her between us.

"You seem to just cause more mayhem than help Shade. Maybe a little less bloodthirsty this time around?" Fenris sighed, looking somewhat disapproving of her latest show.

Shade huffed in response.

"If a mortal wants to die by my hands, why should I deny him or her? I will not discriminate!" Shade declared.

I pressed my hand on her head, slightly squishing her down onto the bed. In response, she huffed up again. I shook my head and scuffed up her head. Her willingness to hurt others bothered me a bit.

"Shade..." I trailed off, getting a bit serious.

My tone caused her to freeze and slowly glance at me. I returned her gaze with another scruff.

"Sorry!!! I will be a good girl!!!" Shade complained, slightly purring.

I chuckled in response, ruffling her. That was when I noticed her collar was not around her neck anymore. She had always worn the one that Fenris had picked for her all those years ago, but it seemed like with all the fighting, at one point it had been torn off.

"Ah... you are missing your collar," I mumbled, not realizing I had worded it out loud.

Fenris stood up from the bed and reached towards me to help me up.

"Do not worry, we can go choose one for Shade after we get out of here." Fenris simpered.

I grabbed onto his hand, only to be tugged up by him. Shade jumped onto my shoulder.

"You mean to go into town?" I asked.

My legs seemed to be shaky and struggled to hold myself up. I held onto Fenris for support. What we had done before did not help my cause either. Ever watchful, Fenris noticed the weakness of my legs. Clearing his throat, he tried one last time to sway me.

"Yeah... But focus on what is on hand, unless you do not want to go into the wolf's den." Fenris tried to convince me otherwise one last time.

I huffed in response, just like Shade had done before.

"No, take me with you!" I pouted.

Fenris sighed upon failing once again to take me away from my current course. He turned around and got on his knees, gesturing for me to mount him for a piggyback ride. Unable to protest since I could not make it outside otherwise, I mounted him.

Effortlessly, Fenris carried me out of the room and into the living room. There I met with Amelia, who was with Layla. The moment my gaze met with Layla’s, I instinctively buried my face in my wolf’s back. She had not been there when I did my declaration of love. Even so, after claiming Fenris as mine, I had not thought about how I would face her.

I was ready to fight the council and the Lycan elders since they were a bunch of prunes. But Layla was another matter. She had never been fond of me being with Fenris because of what she felt for him. And everything she feared did, in fact, occur. She was not at fault, either. No, they had groomed her just like Fenris for a specific role. And I was keen on breaking it into pieces.

 I would take her destiny from right under her nose, and for that, I would have to face her. But unlike Amelia, Layla would bite my head off if I were not careful. Luckily, Amelia seemed to not have spoken a word to Layla about what had happened, either. And it seemed I had kept my voice in check good enough. Fenris’s sister was not gazing at me with any more disgust than usual.

Soon enough, though, I would break Layla's world into pieces, and I was not ready for that yet. She had done nothing wrong but love the man I adored. When Layla asked Fenris how we were, I peeked outside to see something that caught my attention.

The moment Amelia saw Melody come out of the room behind us. Her expression changed to one of contempt. Did Amelia know her? It was something I quickly noted. Without creating a scene, Amelia stood up and went into a different room.

Fenris dismissed Layla's worries without looking at her. Instead, his eyes were locked towards the door. His fiancée reassured him that the Lycans were just restless and grieving. That he should leave it to Ben and Liam, who were arguing through the door.

Grief was something that happened naturally when someone lost a loved one. That same emotion could warp perspectives. Especially when they tried to find someone to blame. In these Lycans' eyes, I was the immediate outlet for their anger. I tightened my grip on Fenris, preparing myself for what was coming.

"No... I will be their alpha once the ceremony is done. I must be the one to quell their restlessness once and for all." Fenris declared his intention.

Layla smiled in awe of her alpha and future husband. However, she seemed unhappy to find me on his back, arms tightly wrapped around his neck. Not that I would let go. And in her eyes, I could see she distrusted me.

"Then maybe leave Lilith inside. I know you would not like your charge in danger. And they really want to get to her." Layla glanced at me, jealous and annoyed.

In response, all I could do was hold on tighter.  Fenris sighed, knowing I would not allow that to happen even if it was what he wanted as well. I had to bite my tongue for now. But there would be the day when she knew he was mine.

"No. Where I go, she goes." Fenris pushed past a surprised Layla.

However, instead of staying behind, she followed. Melody opened the door for us to reveal one of the biggest angriest crowds I would ever see. Ben and Liam had been effortlessly arguing with the Lycans, who all wanted my blood.

Especially since they finally connected the pieces that were missing. It connected to the destruction of Silverant all those years ago. The moment they saw me, their comments became more ravenous. Setting me down, Melody helped me stay up. Fenris took the front to assess their concerns.

"Can you all calm yourselves? We can be civilized beings. Unless you want to prove to every other race, we are only beasts!" Fenris addressed the crowd.

They responded in anger.

"The witch caused the disaster all those years ago! Revenge! Justice! Blood must be paid in kind!" The mob echoed, chanting for my death.

This was predictable. So, it did not surprise me they would act this way. After all, they had just realized the article had been right. I was connected to the incident of all those years ago. But they were clueless about how connected I was.

"Can you all stop and listen! Lilith was a victim, just like all of you who lost someone when Silverant fell! She was just a ten-year-old girl used as a sacrifice by the witch cult known as Moira." Fenris tried to calm his pack.

They back just with as much resentment as before.

"Witches are evil beings! They only deserve to be stomped on! We must eliminate all of them!" The mob continued to call for my blood, not listening to reason.

The cycle was repeating itself over again. The racism would never end if no one stepped forward. However, how could I quell their anger when their own kin could not? Would the cycle of violence continue no matter what? Probably...

Nothing I could say would change the fact they lost their loved ones. But even so... I would make myself heard. Especially... If I wanted to be beside Fenris. He appeared annoyed by the insolence of his pack. Letting him be ruled by anger would not help either.

Violence would only create more violence in the end. From the look of it, Fenris was about to put everyone in their place. Instead of letting it go any further, I would give them what they wanted, me. I would not stay quiet any longer. No, they would hear me and then cast their judgment.

Though my heart raced.

"So... you pretend to kill me just because of what I am?" I spoke out, finally setting all eyes on me.

Ben and Liam, along with other Cerberus officers, stood in the front of the stairs. It was to prevent the mob from climbing onto the patio where we were.

"Lilith, let me handle it, please." Fenris pleaded with me to stay far away from the angry wolves.

They got even rowdier the moment they heard my voice.

"No, we will beget more blood, like always. Will this ever end if I don’t speak?!?" I countered his worries.

Shade shifted forms to help me walk towards the crowd. I pulled away from Melody only for Fenris to grab me by my shoulder. He would not allow me to go any further. However, it was close enough for all those amber orbs to have a full view of me. I had always practiced in my mind a moment like this.

Though, it was the point of time I dreaded the most. The moment I would have to own up to everything that had happened because of me. My side of the story of when the fall happened. I could see reporters behind the Lycans. The flashes of lights that came from their cameras were almost blinding.

Letting go of my fears and doubts, I recounted my story to the masses to quell their anger.

"Yes, I failed you all when I neglected to keep the power of the... nether realm in its cage. But I was trying to protect you! And when I cast the incantation from earlier... it was so your loved ones would not suffer anymore." I began as utter silence surrounded me.

Whispers rose within me while I struggled to push them away. It was not a time to be ruthless, but sympathetic. All these wolves were grieving and had the right to do so. It had only been hours since their loved ones were taken from them. I had no right to look down on them for what they felt. Not this time, at least.

After all, I took something all these people cared for, too. Even if it were to save them from a worse fate, I took them. And this was not the only time I had done so. No... when Silverant fell... I changed the lives of many. Including the man I adored more than anything in this world.

Something I had never spoken about to anyone. Other than my first friend was about to come out of me. For the first time, I was about to bear myself open to them and tell my truth to the world. Blame and all. My point of view of the fall of Silverant.

"Back when I was only ten, my grandmother decided to end the world. I was just a child who did not know how to comprehend what was happening. Or the consequences of my actions. All I knew was that I wanted to save the world from my grandmother's hatred.” I began.

All their eyes weighed heavily on me. My voice was denser, though. It felt like knots were forming in the back of my throat.

‘Would they care?’

“Regrettably, I was ignorant that my foolish attempt to change the spell.” I stopped.

My voice was cracking. I felt Fenris’s grip on me tighten to the point it pushed me forward.

“I did not know it would allow these shadowy beasts to come from me.”

With each word that left me, it was getting harder to speak. The memories replayed in my mind. It was all so vivid to me.

“I never wanted the mayhem on Silverant to happen. No... what I thought would happen that day. What should have happened, was my death would stop the gate from slamming open. Instead, I somehow lived and became the gate for these creatures to come out of. I did not know how to stop them or control them." I stopped again, for a minute to collect my thoughts.

Fenris grabbed hold of my hand to comfort me. He stood next to me, whispering I could stop at any moment I wanted. Somehow, I had grabbed the attention of the crowd. I did not know if it was the tone in my voice, but instead of yelling, they were listening.

There was no stopping anymore. Judgment awaited me once they heard my side.

"You all think that I am heartless, but I... am not. If I were... I would have just let myself be killed that fateful day.” I declared, feeling a bit more confident about what was about to come out of me.

“After all, who would want to live after years of being tortured by my grandmother?” I continued gripping tighter into Fenris’s hand.

“I also ended up being ravished by a broomstick before being sent to my death." I stopped to lick my lips.

They felt dry.

‘Are they even listening anymore? Will any of this work? Will they even care?’

‘Waste of time…’

‘Murder them…’

‘Make them submit!’

The whispers were becoming a bit chaotic. I honestly did not know, but all I could do was smile bitterly. Unable to hold the emotions that were swelling within me.

"Kill me, you say. You do not know how much I wish I would have died that day. I was counting on it, actually!" I snapped, feeling empty.

 Fenris's grip on my hand tightened because of it.

"Lily... You do not have to do this, please, I will handle them." Fenris reassured me, fearing I was breaking.

I pushed forward into the darkness of my past. With every second, it was as if I was reliving it. Every time I blinked, images were flowing within me. They did not know what I lived. They had no right to judge me.

‘Destroy…’

‘No! I will not allow you to dictate what I do either! I am Lilith, a survivor! A fighter that will allow no one to control me!’

"Pathetic I know. But that would have been the easy way out for me. And it was fucking tempting.” I said, pulling away from the warmth Fenris provided.

This fight was my own. I had to make it on my own.

“But… I wanted to save the person who had become my light. For his world, I would give anything to save it from the fate that my grandmother planned!” I declared, gripping tighter onto Shade.

“And I knew if I had let myself die. The gate would have swung wide open, allowing more terrifying things out. What you all saw was nothing compared to what the realm has in store for us." I warned, taking a step forward.

There was no holding this back. I would fly. My past would not define me. I would find my reason to live. I…

"Luckily, even though I did not know what I was doing. I managed to stop anything too powerful from coming out. Though lesser beast slipped by me. If you only could see what I have seen in there. You would be terrified of the thought of that gate slamming open with nothing to stop it." I trailed off while memories flashed through my mind.

It triggered me to release a nervous chuckle. Even though Fenris wanted to hold me in his arms, he restrained himself as he walked next to me.

"Sadly, even though I tried to change the fate of everyone in town that day. The first to die was a woman that was trying to help me. So yes, I am despicable. I am a harbinger of death. And I... could not stop the disaster from that day. And for that, I am forever sorry." I bit into my lip, reliving everything that had happened.

It frustrated me how powerless I was when it happened. Fenris, unable to hold back, assured me I had no reason to apologize. However, one Lycan from the mob screamed from the back.

"Your apologies will not bring back our dead! Our loved ones!" The angered wolf yelled, triggering Fenris to growl loudly.

His body slowly glowed red. Others seemed to be unsure of what to feel anymore after listening to my story. Instead of the usual backing down, I continued to face their anger. I would not allow Fenris to throw himself into the crowd to protect me.

"No... my words are meaningless for that, but even so...” I began, grabbing onto my chest.

“You cannot kill me for justice without dooming the world to that same fate. Do you think I would still be alive if I were not cursed to hold part of the realm inside of me? Sadly, if I stop breathing, then... you will lose more than just your lives." I informed trying to separate my emotions from what was happening.

Most of the Lycans seemed to be baffled by what I had said. I could only glance towards Shade. She met with my gaze. Her warning from all those years ago. Was the one thing that kept me alive all these years. Though thanks to that fact... I could live to see the day when my one-sided love blossomed.

"You will lose your world if I die. It was the only reason that kept me from killing myself all those years ago too." I clarified, hoping helped their confusion.

 Fenris suddenly pulled me into his embrace. He could not stop himself after hearing everything I had said. His hold on me was so tender that I could not pull myself away from him.

"You stupid girl. Even if you were not cursed, you still have all the right to live. None of this was your fault!" Fenris's voice broke.

I hugged him back. My little wolf's embrace was warmer than I ever thought it could be. For a moment, everyone went silent. Their anger was fleeting. They could not come to blame me after hearing my side. A female Lycan tried to come through the crowd and towards Ben and Liam, who both let her through upon identifying her. Clearing the way, she climbed the stairs and faced me straight on.

"Mia... What are you doing here?" Fenris worried about her approach.

It caused him to loosen his embrace a bit. The fact he knew her confused me. I pulled away slightly from him to take a better look at who was in front of me. She was a red hair Lycan, with tanned skin. I did not know her or had ever seen her near Fenris. She was a beautiful wolf though. One who seemed to be pregnant because of the prevalent bump on her belly.

"I got tired of hearing the idiots speak." She glared at the mob, who still seemed unable to decide what to think for themselves.

"You all should be ashamed of yourself! She was just a small gal then... Not much younger than my little brother, who was almost killed by whoever attacked us yesterday! But thanks to her, he is still alive!" Mia ranted at her kin.

It left me utterly mystified by her. Was her brother in the crowd of kids that were being defended by Kira and the other women?

"I was not allowed here because of my condition. So, I did not witness it personally. But anyone who was here can god damn say why most of them are still alive to complain today!" She scolded them like they were children throwing a tantrum.

"I..." I fumbled with my words, unable to find one to say to her.

Unlike Fenris, who was fully biased towards me, she was an utter stranger. One who had swayed the crowd. Little did I know, but she was part of one of the top clans.

"You... as well..." Mia began breaking down.

Tears swelled in her eyes before falling onto her knees and bowing to me. It stunned me right where I was.

"Thank you for peacefully sending Owen! I... I cannot thank you enough!" Mia profusely expressed gratitude.

 I could not move from where I was. She could not possibly be Owen's... No, last time I heard he had been dumped. Was it her?

"I..." I choked on myself again, not being able to answer her.

Another male Lycan from the front did the same as Mia.

"Yes... I was here! If what the medic said is true, then you saved my wife from a horrible fate! And for that, I am grateful! Thank you!" Another said.

I was left unable to comprehend what was happening. Ezra, who had been behind us the whole time, stepped forward towards Mia, who still was in the same position. Someone really had to get her up… I…

"Lilith, at first I did not understand why you did that. But then I heard from Amara what fate awaited Owen if you had not. I could not help but be grateful as well." Ezra began.

I shook my head. This was not what I wanted to happen. There was nothing to thank me for. I killed so many people... that I...

"No... I..." I wanted to tell Ezra that I was selfish.

That I took Owen's life, even though I did not know what had truly happened to him. That he had all the right to be angry, yet the words would not arise from me.

"I... cannot seem to blame a child for what happened back then, either. Especially when I was so close to you in the last days and did not notice a thing. I am sorry for not noticing." Ezra said.

His amber eyes glossed over before joining Mia in her stance.

"No... Don't..." I reached for them.

Another one, this time a human that had been present through the chaos, stood forward from the Lycans.

"It is... true... back in the battle. I could swear I saw wings coming from her back. She was an angel of mercy that came to us in our hour of need! Not one of those dreaded witches that sent those corpses!" The man announced.

It was like a chain reaction, though. Many more Lycans followed in Mia's footsteps. They all said similar things before kneeling to me.

"I am not... a savior," I mumbled, unable to accept what was happening.

Fenris smiled pushing me towards Shade, following in the same steps as all the others.

"I think I am the biggest offender here. Even though I knew you were in pain, I was powerless to stop it. I am sorry for failing you all those years ago. Shit. I should have done more." Fenris apologized, tracing his fingers on my cheeks, falling onto his knees.

My heart… was breaking.

"Thank you for saving my friend." He finished, taking the same position as all the other Lycans.

"No... No... You..." I could not find the words to speak to Fenris.

 Ben took the stage after his younger brother. Grabbing my hand in his, Ben smiled before kneeling in front of me. I shook my head while my eyes stung.

‘Please, Stop!’

"I failed you, too. That day I should have ignored my father and searched that building. The stench of fresh blood was in the air, yet he assured me it was nothing. Calling it some bird the Moira had sacrificed for a stupid spell. I am sorry for leaving you in that basement to face the horrors by yourself." Ben pressed my hand on his forehead, bowing as well on the floor.

Before I knew it, I was surrounded by Lycans all leaning on the ground. They all thanked me for what I had done. When I told my story, I never thought it would reach them like this. I never thought that they would see me as something else than the witch that destroyed Silverant. It was almost as if my pain resonated with their grief.

There were still some who did not follow in the majority's sentiment. But instead of causing any more ruckus, they left. Everyone I knew was thanking me for something I had done in a second thought. When I came into the battlefield, all I wanted was to save Fenris, but I saved many of the Lycans that were around.

Tears fell down my eyes. I pleaded with them to stop. Liam... Melody... Even Layla. All of them were there thanking me for everything I had done. Though, what surprised me the most was Amelia. She, who hated me with a glorified passion, kneeled to thank me for saving her brethren, too.

"Please stop... I do not deserve this!" I cried, unable to take their kindness.

I fell onto my knees and wept like a child. Fenris came over to me and reassured me that everything was fine. Ben hugged me to comfort me, too. These brothers were melting me, to the point I did not know what to do with myself anymore. When I told my truth... I thought they would hate me. Instead, it was the complete opposite.

Somehow my words, my tale, had hit their hearts, allowing them to sympathize with me. Melody and Liam joined me while all the other Lycans thanked me for everything. It had to be a dream. A dream that I thought I would wake up from, but that time never came. Fenris left me in Ben's arms to address the wolves, who seemed to have come to their senses.

"We can see how easy it is to blame others without knowing the full truth behind the story. We were all part of what led to the disaster of Silverant. How many of you saw the young witch run by when she was doing her errands? And decided not to bother asking her if she was okay?” He asked the crowd, who silently listened.

“I know I was one. I should have not let her gone back to that abuse. No, I should have taken her with me back to Cerberus. But I was just a child like her. I did not understand what I know now." Fenris continued.

The Lycans slowly raised from their stances to face their future leader. One that would be appointed in days from the present.

"We hid who Lilith was because the council thought you guys would not understand. But now I see how wrong they were to deny you of that knowledge. Now... that you lot... know the truth. I hope you will help me protect her.” My wolf addressed them.

All while I cried in Ben’s arms, surrounded by multiple lights.

“As you can see, she is not like the witches you are used to. She is sweet and caring. Something lost within the cult of Moira and those who attacked us today." Fenris declared, who the real enemy was.

The Lycans all seemed to focus on his words. The surrounding air was so different from before. Could I ever walk beside him? He seemed so out of reach. Too bright for me.

Before I could continue to doubt myself, Fenris walked over to me. In an instant, he pulled me towards him, allowing me to hold myself up by the wooden fence of the patio of the cabin. Ben joined us, as well as Liam.

Fenris smiled, wiping away my tears before glancing towards the crowd. Following his gaze, I could see the Lycans were all closely paying attention to us. They all had determined expressions on their faces.

"Lilith is a powerful ally by our side. With her help, we will get our justice, but not at the cost of innocence. We will be better than those who attacked us here today! We must be if this peace between the races is to last for years to come.” Fenris began.

His words seemed strong and powerful. There was no doubt behind them. He took a brief glance at me to make sure I was okay. I could no longer feel my heart, though. Shade was by my shoulder, pleased by what she was witnessing.

“To accomplish this, we must work with everyone! We have to become better than what we were before the fall. I promise to lead you to that future. To one where you do not have to be ashamed of who or how you are born." Fenris declared, standing behind me.

It triggered the wolves to roar cheers to their future alpha. He had them right where he wanted them. Liam glanced at Fenris with a smirk planted on his face. This was a dream they had been aiming for. Fenris released a low chuckle, pleased with how his clan was perceiving him.

"I promise you that much. So, swear your loyalty to me, and I will not lead you astray!" Fenris declared, wrapping one of his arms around my waist.

His action caused me to find my heart again. Somehow, it was beating faster than it was before.

"We swear loyalty to the blood moon Lycan, Fenris! Lead us to our victory!" The mob chanted.

Fenris grinned, satisfied with how everything had ended. His first victory in his road to becoming a leader like no other. All to change the world for the girl he adored. I never knew I could sway people's hearts, but with Fenris.

Together, we would sway the world.

5