Chapter 7.5
358 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She twirled her hair subconsciously, as she watched me drink coffee. Her eyes pointed towards the cake she ordered for me earlier every so often.

It wasn't something I asked for. She just decided to get it without consultation. I prodded the squishy cake with my fork a bit, before trying a bite. It tasted alright, very sweet. As I finally did she giggled inwardly, making me hear a excited, high pitched, muffled noise.

"Want to try?" I asked out of a sense of politeness as I gestured to hand my fork over.

"I'm alright, I much prefer seeing you enjoy it." she said with a beaming smile.

I shrugged it off and took another sip of my coffee to rinse the aftertaste. Making myself comfortable, I reclined in my chair, balancing it on two chairlegs. Taking a moment to think while surveying the surroundings.

It's considerably quiet, even for a weekday. I could more easily hear the chirping of birds than I would the murmering of people. Even though the cafe has a welcoming, vibrant look to it, it's near desolate. The bartender was also oddly friendly, more than just in a professional way.

"How's the coffee?" I added to break the silence momentarily.

She jokingly waved her hand in a 'comme ci comme ça' manner. The contrast of the joke being that she ordered the most expensive one on the menu; some kind of multi-bean blend from various South American and African countries. 

I just ordered it black, straight and simple.

Perhaps she bought the cake for me out of bemused pity at the sight of me ordering something that plain and easy to make. I do appreciate the more soft bitter aftertaste of this one, compared to what I usually made at my old home. 

Miscellaneous thoughts aside, the whole thing so far has probably costed a lot. She is going out of her way to make my sudden suggestion succeed. I would have paid for these things myself, if it wasn't for the fact I would be broke probably half way through it all. I can feel that same level of effort in the way she's trying to interact with me. Her usual, stern tone is always dampened whenever she tries conversing with me. Not only the tone, but how she uses her words as well is a lot less demanding from what I saw so far.

"Hey, you. Another order here." She yelled out in a demanding, stern but soft tone, as if he was her personal butler.

"Yes, miss?" 

"Get us a snack to bring along. Doesn't matter what kind, make something up."

I am lucky enough to get that kind of special treatment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4