Chapter 43 – Space Magic
576 10 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Surprised to see me?! It was warm so I wrote. My hands still ended up cold though?

 

I didn't really want to study in the middle of the field, so I went back to my desk in Corina's temple. I was a little nervous that I might interrupt her and Loralei, but they weren't present. Geni left to work on something, but I kept Mica with me for a bit.

 

As we sat down, I explained why. "I'd like you to tell me exactly what you meant by the Minor Spirits obeying me. Is it when I cast a certain spell?" While focusing on the response, I opened the Magic menu to find some basic information about Space Magic. It felt like my problem with the spell was a lack of that basic knowledge. 

 

Mica settled on the Kindlesprite's shoulder as she took a seat at her desk. The Fairy responded uncertainly after a moment. "Well, I don't think there's any particular trigger. A couple of them just follow you around and help you a little bit. There aren't enough of them to make a real difference. You'd probably notice if they stopped, though."

 

That... sounded familiar. The Guidance effect from my Evolution menu, and the Rukh things. "Do they look like butterflies?"

 

Mica gave a slight tilt of the head. "Umm, I... I do see those, but they aren't really Minor Spirits. I don't know what they're called, but they're different." Their head tilted the other way. "Maybe the Spirits are attracted to them though? I guess that could make sense." They mumbled falteringly. 

 

... The Minor Spirits were only helping a little. That was the important part. If they suddenly vanished, it might affect my ability to cast spells, but I just had to study harder so that wouldn't be a problem. Training wheels, maybe? Though, if I could figure out why they were helping me, or figure out how to make use of them like the Fairies could, I might be able to get a power boost out of it.

 

For now, I needed to get back to my studies. "Thank you, Mica. I might need help with that again later, but you can do as you wish for now."

 

The Fairy hummed at me questioningly for a moment, then nodded. "I'll talk with Cor about the warehouse then. See you later!" Metal wings chimed softly as they flew off towards the river.

 

That left me and the Kindlesprite. As usual, she seemed happy to browse the forums on one of the computers while waiting for her hand to heal. The little chisel Geni had given her seemed to be quite effective, if the clean cut at her wrist was anything to go by.

 

I felt my eyes dodge away. Although I'd already experienced the lack of pain from my body, thinking about that still made me queasy. Teleport, teleport...

 

I spent a few more hours studying Space Magic. It quickly became apparent that I needed a simpler spell to use as a reference. If I could wrap my head around something like Combat Blink, then I should be able to master Teleport. I already knew I wanted a variant of Combat Blink, but I read through the descriptions of some of the other spells as well, in case they had something I needed to know. That was how I noticed something I hadn't before.

 

Recall
The caster designates a location to which they or a willing target will return if a specific condition is triggered. Due to a quirk in how space mana works, the cost will not change with the distance traveled via this spell. The spell will never harm the caster or place them inside an object or creature. Fluids in the target location will be swapped with the caster at the departure point, possibly causing atmospheric disturbances. Mana cost increases based on volume and mass of the caster.
AKA "Spatial Recall" or "Emergency Teleport".

 

Cost: 1 CP for Interface casting.

Nyx: The Dungeon Master cannot physically leave the Dungeon. All Creatures are temporarily forbidden from leaving the Dungeon.

| Cast | Add to Spellbook | Back |

 

I reread the description briefly. What kind of conditions can be set? I'd dismissed this spell before, since I wouldn't be traveling far inside the Dungeon. It had seemed like a quick way to get back somewhere from far away, but in reality... Wasn't it a way to save a Creature that was about to die? If I had that option, I needed to take it, no matter what. My Creatures were expensive, and more than that... I didn't want them to disappear forever.

 

I clicked the Add to Spellbook button, knowing that it would be added to the same book as the other spells I'd picked. I'd have every Creature learn the spell, and maybe even have it laced into Enchantments on items, if that was possible. My intuition said it was, but I'd have to check with Mara and Geni later. I wanted to do it now, but there was no immediate need for the spell. I needed to focus on learning the Teleport spell instead. To that end...

 

Combat Blink
Distance is ignored through the use of space mana, allowing the caster to instantly travel to a nearby location. The caster's momentum will be unaffected by the transfer. The spell will never harm the caster or place them inside an object or creature. Fluids in the target location will be swapped with the caster at the departure point, possibly causing atmospheric disturbances. Mana cost increases based on volume and mass of the caster. 

 

Cost: 1 CP for Interface casting.

Nyx: The Dungeon Master cannot physically leave the Dungeon. All Creatures are temporarily forbidden from leaving the Dungeon.

| Cast | Add to Spellbook | Back |

 

Combat Blink was also added to the Spellbook. It was definitely something I wanted my Kindlesprites to learn, and probably everyone else as well. I smiled a little, thinking of how chaotic everyone *poofing* around at random would be. Speaking of which...

 

I spoke to the Kindlesprite. "I'll be back in a moment, just need to grab the Spellbook." I lifted the Interface and Cast the Teleport spell. As always, I focused on the spell to try to figure out how it worked. I was definitely making progress, but something still eluded me.

 

I appeared inside the Fairies' workshop. I looked around briefly before finding the Spellbook next to an open copy. Mara was probably scribing a spell over when she had the time, but nobody was here now. I picked it up and Teleported back.

 

The next three hours were just as productive as I'd hoped. The Blink spell was far simpler than Teleport, and most of the complicated bits I was able to grasp easily enough based on what I'd already learned. In turn, studying Blink helped me intuit some of the more complex theories of Space Magic. I was able to cast both spells reliably after another hour and a half of practice.

 

I did end up casting too much though, causing me to plant my face in the nearby bed and wallow in apathy. I don't know how long I spent like that, just letting my mind run over anything it wanted. Although I didn't care the first few times, one thought kept returning with annoying frequency. If I can Teleport through the Dungeon, what if the enemy can too?

 

I let out a frustrated groan the fifth time it happened and sat up. I directed the thought at the Interface. Give me something to stop enemies from Teleporting.

 

Dimension Lock
The target is restrained with large amounts of space mana, preventing teleportation. If an area is targeted instead, all teleportation in the area is prevented at a significantly reduced mana cost. To make the area version of the spell permanent, a ward must be created. Such a ward can be designed to allow specific Creatures to ignore the effect, though this raises the complexity of the ward for each Creature exempted. 

 

Cost: 10 CP for Interface casting.

Nyx: The ward form of this spell is automatically engraved into the Crystal Core. Only Dungeon-made Creatures and Mercenaries from Party members' Dungeons may freely Teleport inside a Dungeon. Certain Creatures may bypass the effect, so remain cautious.

| Cast | Add to Spellbook (Spellbook too small) | Back |

 

Huh. So I was worrying over nothing. Mostly nothing. A few enemies might be able to ignore the spell entirely. That's the important bit, but WOW, look at that casting cost. I could literally make a whole person with ten CP. And that 'Spellbook too small' warning. The book wasn't even close to being half filled yet, but this spell was too big for it. For such a simple effect, just ridiculous.

 

... I kinda wanted to study the spell to see why it was so expensive, and if I could become one of those Creatures that could bypass it. But the Study menu was unlocked after you Cast it for the first time. I didn't want to study it that badly... I sighed quietly. I'd just have to be satisfied with the knowledge that some protection was already in place, free of charge.

 

I'd achieved my goals on this subject. I could still start studying Recall, which would probably be invaluable. But after reading that note from Nyx, I remembered our last conversation. Having Mercenaries from a Party member would probably be a huge boon. I let the anxiety from that thought fade away as I forcibly refocused my thoughts on the first piece of advice she'd offered. Nodding slightly, I searched through the Spell menu.

 

Divine Summons
You call for support from a deity you know of. Should they will it, a being they hold dominion over will briefly appear to aid you. The stronger the being, the more mana will be required to maintain their presence, and the shorter the duration. You may specify the nature of the being you wish to summon, but the deity can ignore this if they so choose. 

 

Cost: 1 CP for 1 action for Interface casting.

Nyx: Feel free to practice this spell, my Creatures could use the fresh air.

| Cast | Add to Spellbook | Back |

 

It seemed rather unreliable. That '1 action' thing made it seem like they would vanish after just a moment too. Hopefully that was because they were just that strong. I'd definitely have to compare it to other summon spells. For now, I added it and the 'Elemental Summons' spell to the Spellbook. I'd let my Creatures study them, but I had grown tired of Studying for now.

 

Next... I'd done everything I'd thought of when I got back from Earth. So now I had a few things to choose from. The idea of talking to Nyx after our last conversation was slightly daunting, but I had a lot of questions I wanted to ask her. More every time I thought of it. 

 

Alternatively, I could finally look into the Evolution menu. It wouldn't help me find shards on Earth, but it was something I'd have to do eventually. Preferably before my next training session with the Kindlesprite. I might even find something fun to try.

 

There were other options, of course, but those were the ones that stuck in my mind at the moment. I let my eyes wander over the room, letting the beauty of Corina's decorations relax me. I breathed out slowly. Now then, I suppose I should get on with it...

 

I'm just dying to find out which it is.

24