Chapter 44 – The End
607 3 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It occurred to me that I could ask Nyx for advice on the Evolution menu. That would make talking to her first a decent choice.

 

Still... I was worried that she would nag me about joining a Party. That seemed like an awfully strange thing for a literal god to do, but I couldn't help being anxious about it. And of course, she could read my mind to some extent when I talked to her, so she might be offended if I had a thought like that running through my head.

 

I needed to clear my mind. The easiest way was to focus on something else. Supposedly the spell would last longer when more power was given. More fuel equaled more questions. I opened the Study menu for Voices of the Chorus. I didn't dig too deeply, since I was still a little burnt out from earlier.

 

This spell didn't really use mana. While having some could strengthen the spell, it really drew power from the Spirit. Since I couldn't see the Rukh, I wasn't really sure how to manipulate them either. I swapped over to viewing my Spirit on the Interface. For I while, I simply let my eyes run over everything, watching how it all interacted. I did try to 'see' the Rukh with my Aura Perception, but it was a failure. In the end, I just imagined them gathering together, becoming fuel for the spell.

 

I could see it working on the screen. Surprisingly easy. I was worried about what might happen if I gathered too much at once, so I stopped it after a moment. I didn't immediately cast the spell though. I held the power in place, watching for any changes. Just to see how long I could do it, if my control would fray. If anything happened, I didn't notice it. Eventually I got impatient and cast the spell.

 

The world faded away, and I was once more in a half unconscious state. In the darkness, I felt whispers at the edge of my awareness.

 

"You are right on time."

"And the progress you have made is impressive as always."

"You should be proud of what you have accomplished-"
"Nobody can take that from you."

"You have four questions."

 

"Ask."

 

I felt... sad. I had the odd impression of tears in my eyes even though I couldn't quite feel my eyes or any other part of my body. I knew Nyx might be able to sense the feeling, and I was ashamed that someone could see such an obvious sign of weakness. I let a surge of old anger out to force me back on track.

 

Through gritted teeth, I asked. "The glitched text. On the Interface, why is there sometimes glitched text?"

 

The answers were slow and careful, a soothing hum from just inside my head.

 

"Hmm~"

"It's hard to say, without seeing it."

"Perhaps it's a word that has no easy translation in your language."

"Or perhaps it's a concept that can't be explained with words at all."

"The Crystal Core is a powerful tool, but it isn't omnipotent."

"It might be best to pay special attention, however."

"Such things can be extremely dangerous-"
"Both to you AND to your enemies. Blessing or Curse..."

 

"Ask."

 

But how can I tell the difference? I forced the thought away. If she could have answered that, she would have already. "Do you have any advice regarding the Evolution function of the Interface?"

 

She chuckled softly.

 

"A broad topic."

"It can be tempting to test many small changes-"
"But you can't afford to waste CP at this timing."

"A few large changes that will benefit you forever, or none at all."

"That is my advice."

"Everything I chose was dependent on the powers of my allies. Light and darkness, unyielding and eternal-"

"The details matter little. Empower the Abilities you already have, and create synergy with new ones."

"You must specialize to defeat the enemy."
"...Or make no mistakes."

 

"Ask."

 

... I wasn't sure what answer I wanted. Maybe an easy cheat-like skill or build that would make me unbeatable. Either way, I need to focus. I can't afford to think about it. "...Last time, you said you lost. Can you tell me why- what happened?"

 

There was a pause. Eventually, she gave a tentative reply.

 

"It would be easier to show you."

"You may not be ready yet-"
"It might be painful, but you won't be injured."

"Do you still want to see?"

 

I was intrigued. More at the possibility of being shown something than what would be shown. The idea of pain put me off a little, but as long as it wasn't permanent, I could push through it. Knowing what was waiting for me was worth it.

 

"... Yes."

 

Without warning, everything twisted and vanished from my perception.

 

 


 

 

There was a quiet tapping. Several people gathered around a large table. Papers and diagrams were scattered across its surface, covered in strange shapes. The people seemed familiar, yet at the same time I couldn't quite make out their appearance. As if they were friends I'd forgotten, covered in the shadows of a dream. 

 

One of them spoke sharply. Angrily, yet distorted by the nature of the dream. "This cannot continue. More Cores are contaminated every day. The mainland is overrun, and it will be no more than a week before the Refuge falls as well. We have lost this war. We should look to securing our peoples' survival."

 

There was a moment of bitter silence, before another answered levelly. "There is no survival. All we can do is fight until the end, destroy as many of our foes as possible." They swept their hand sideways, a wave of air scattering papers from the table. Nobody bothered to recover them.

 

Another moment of silence was broken by a quiet voice. Mournful and afraid. "If only we had not been so self-centered. So many Cores were destroyed in the early days. So many more Corrupted in the days that followed. The weak, dismissed by we who only fought for our own survival. Had we only worked together, perhaps then they might not have been turned against us so easily-"

 

The second voice interrupted, a tired but firm edge to their words. "Enough. There is no changing the past. We must make our final preparations for what is to come."

 

The first speaker responded. "I do not believe survival is impossible. If we use the same technique that Keshin did, we can stop the spread of the Corruption. Create a new front to fight on. Perhaps even win back what has been lost."

 

A new voice spoke hesitantly. "We would be sacrificing all that we have, with no guarantee of success. Keshin himself will fall soon without ever recovering his full strength. And when that happens..."

 

The first spoke again. "Either way, this world is doomed. We can take the last chance offered to us, or succumb with what pitiful resistance we can muster." Their voice, still distorted, carried a weight that pressed against me like a strong wind. 

 

The second speaker seemed as if they were about to respond, but a new voice interrupted. It echoed oddly, and it took me a long moment of confusion to understand that the voice came from me. "Erebus, enough. He is right this time. If we fight, we will only be feeding more of our strength to the enemy. This is the way forward."

 

The second speaker recoiled, and they spoke with a tone that echoed with repressed pain. "My Love, we will not be able to go together if our Cores are shattered. If we do this, we may never see each other again."

 

The response was amused, if slightly melancholic. "You know better than that. We may be separated, but we will find each other again. The time we are parted will be but a moment compared to what we shall share in the future. I have not steered us wrong thus far. Will you believe in me, once more?"

 

The response was a slow nod, and though someone spoke, the words were lost to me. The world lurched, and suddenly I was elsewhere again.

 

...

 

A dark cityscape with unfamiliar architecture surrounded me. Creatures of darkness and shadow passed by at a rapid pace, giving respectful nods or bows without stopping. I could not tell if the shadows were born of dreamlike fog, or if the world around me was completely shrouded by the night. But there was one who stood out.

 

To my right, a beautiful woman walked alongside me. I could not clearly see her features, but she glowed like the sun. Golden cloth covered delicate glowing skin. She was short, but I felt an increasing desire to step away and make room for her. That desire went unanswered as words echoed out from my own throat. "Everything is prepared, then?"

 

"Yes, Mother. You only need to give the signal and the ritual will be completed in that moment." Her voice, like all the others, was oddly distorted. At the same time, it was warm; warm like fire and comfort. Achingly bright and warm, too much for me. She continued regardless of my feelings. "Mother... Is this... Truly what we must do? I..."

 

I struggled with the desire to flee even as she suddenly drew nearer. She became everything I could perceive, and I found myself locked into an embrace. Words escaped, whispered into her ear. "Do not fear. You will overcome the trials that await you. So long as one of us remains, the others will always have hope. We will be reunited. This is inevitable. You must only act with the clarity I have taught you, the strength your father has granted you. I love you."

 

With a sense of relief, I felt space open up between us. "Act with pride, Hemera. When next we meet, we will have to make time to share all of the new stories we have made. It shall be a long, peaceful time." A soft laugh echoed out from me. "I am rather looking forward to it. Ah, I will need to be patient for once. Now that is something truly regrettable."

 

Hemera laughed back tearfully. She seemed to struggle with a response, before finally breathing out slowly. "I love you, Mother. We shall meet again soon." With a strong nod, she turned and strode away, quickly fading into the shadows.

 

I turned, and with a mild lurching feeling, I suddenly found myself approaching another shadow. He was slight, but encased in a terrifying armor coated in black barbs and glowing stars. "Tartarus." I called out to him.

 

He turned, and his eyes were a glowing purple-red that seared into my Mind. He spoke with a satisfied but harried tone. "Oh? Nyx. Good timing. I just finished lodging the Gate open. It will not close again. I hope you can finish that ritual soon, for I cannot guarantee more than an hour at the rate the enemy is pouring through."

 

Nyx spoke again, the echo not quite masking the determination in her voice. "The ritual is done. Erebus has asked that we hold off the activation as long as possible, that we might destroy as much of the enemy as we can. It will be a hard fight; but the more we destroy here, the easier our future endeavors will be."

 

Tartarus snorted. "Ha, he just wants one last glorious battle. It will be nice to truly test the defenses for the first time." He turned and looked out over the fields before us. "Hmm. Hold nothing back." He spat in dissatisfaction. "Pah, I remember when my traps killed dozens with every activation. Now they barely harm the horrid things. Will you be joining the main battle?"

 

"I will. When we can hold no longer, I will give the signal and the ritual will be activated. Shall we find a vantage point?"

 

With another lurch, I found myself on a tower of dark purple metal. Spreading out as far as I could see were fortifications of similar metal; walls, pits, moats, and serrated wires. Additionally, Creatures in dark, nebulous armor lined every surface. The most notable was the four armed giant near the front of the room. 

 

Even as I watched, monsters entered the room from a shattered door in the far wall. I recognized them from the Bestiary. Pseudo Knights, every single one of them. Enemies so strong that their appearance would lead to an instant defeat for my Dungeon. They waded through powerful, earthshattering spells and traps, barely affected by the barrage. Some crumbled to pieces after a sustained burst of power, but most managed to reach the giant, their own spells being deflected by mighty barriers.

 

With far more skill than I could have imagined was possible, the giant spun out a thousand threads of mana. Dozens of different elements were carefully refined until they had the same shape and size as the giant's fists. With a simple gesture, every fist lashed out at once, crashing into the horde of Pseudo Knights. Many struck the same target, some even injuring the monsters. Each fist that failed to damage its target was drawn back and directed towards another Knight. Exploiting weaknesses.

 

However, for every enemy that was injured or defeated, many more came through the door. And now, even more dangerous things were starting to come through. Things I hadn't bothered to study since I was a long way off from needing that information. Each was unique and terrifying in its own way. Giants, warped animals, clouds of broken glass. Magic surged back and forth, the enemy spells no less powerful than their defenses.

 

A great melee broke out as some of the enemy slipped past the giant. They leaped over chasms and moats, climbed up the walls, and fought against the Creatures there. While none of the Creatures could quite match the raw power arrayed against them, they worked together to exploit the weaknesses of the enemy.

 

Despite their efforts, some were injured and forced to retreat. While others stepped forward to take their place, healers tended to them, repairing mortal wounds at ridiculous speeds and sending them back out to fight. Occasionally, if a fight was going too poorly, a small group of Creatures would appear and lay waste to the enemy. Once the line had been reformed and the defenses repaired, they disappeared once again.

 

Through all of this, I remained stationary. I knew that I was watching from Nyx's perspective, so I expected her to act. But nothing. She simply watched. Until finally, something changed. I did not notice why, but Nyx's voice echoed quietly. "An Apostle."

 

"Indeed." I would have jumped, if I could have. The voice that answered came from Tartarus, just to my left. "It seems we have reached the conclusion of our tale. It has truly been a pleasure to fight beside you, little sister."

 

The answer was wry. "There will be many more battles to come, Tartarus. There's no need to be so solemn. Shall we introduce ourselves to your guest?" Her words echoed lightly, teasing and a little eager.

 

"Hmph. I will not be the last to fall. Come then, my sentinels!" At Tartarus's shout, that same group of armored Creatures appeared. There was a surge of motion, only this time it was a familiar feeling. We flew through the air, darkness carried on the wind. At our destination, the four armed giant was caught in the middle of a duel.

 

The opponent was unremarkable, compared to some of the monsters on the field. Shaped like a featureless humanoid, but nearly as large as the giant and covered in a flowing robe composed of broken shards. What was reflected in the mirror-like shards was not this room, however. It hurt to look through them, so I stopped and focused on the fighting.

 

Without any preamble, Tartarus and his sentinels engaged the Apostle. Nyx hung back, and for the first time I realized that her Aura was a lot larger than mine. Her power swept out and coated the combatants, increasing their strength and protecting them from stray attacks. A support caster, perhaps.

 

At our arrival, the Apostle drew back slightly, and every nearby monster suddenly reacted as if they'd received orders. The sturdier ones created a living wall around the Apostle, while others simply targeted the weaker sentinels. Rather than the chaotic melee that had raged throughout the rest of the room, this had suddenly turned into a tactical push and pull.

 

For several long minutes, a vicious and rapid exchange of attacks and counter attacks occurred, far faster than I could understand. While some of the enemy forces were destroyed or dispersed, there were always more to replace them. Finally, the first of the sentinels fell. The situation rapidly devolved as the already wounded giant was quickly swarmed and defeated as well.

 

Without the giant's ever-present magical barrage, the enemy immediately gained momentum, pushing forward and sweeping away the first line of defenders. Tartarus, Nyx, and the surviving sentinels were left completely surrounded.

 

The Apostle pushed through its own guards, drawing an absurd amount of magical power through a broken shard. To my shock, it spoke. "Em... brace... thee... End..." It flung the power it held out towards us. Tartarus stepped forward and intercepted the attack. For a brief moment, a brilliant shield of star-covered darkness blocked the projectile. Then there was an explosion.

 

Caustic power battered the defenses around me. When it finally faded, what was left of Nyx's Aura gathered into a tight shell around us. There was no point in confirming the presence of Tartarus or his sentinels. "This is NOT the end." Like a wave of star-stained ink, Nyx's power flowed out in every direction.

 

The Apostle did not bother to defend itself. There was no need. The magic flowing out from my body was completely harmless. "Fu...tile." The monster rasped, its voice more like rocks against glass than anything a human could produce. It dragged forth another clump of magical power, preparing to finish us off.

 

Nyx scoffed. "On that, we are agreed."

 

There was a brief moment of stillness, and then the world lurched once more. A terrible, piercing *CRACK* resounded, and everything was consumed by blinding whiteness.

29