Chapter 2 – The Escape
51 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2

 

“So, what’s it gonna be?”

Dae-Jung lifted his head after being snapped out of his daze. “Huh? Oh, right.” He pulls out the stash of money he managed to secretly stow away before handing it to the broker.

 

‘Wait, What?’ Is what you must be asking yourself right now from the sudden scene. To simply put, Dae-Jung was going to do anything, anything to get out of Norja Kileem. Away from the guards, the regime, the possibility of being killed over something so tiny. Sure, he was worried about his parents, but he’ll figure out how to get them out later. He only has one goal on his mind for the night: just survive.

 

“I can’t guarantee your survival.” The broker says as he stashes the money in his pocket. “But I’m sure you already knew the risk.”

 

Dae-Jung nods quietly in response before slipping his mask on, the mask from the suit he had sewn together. It totally didn’t look similar to that of Spider-Man or anything. Yea, he was a nerd alright, in secret.

 

The broker hands him a map of the tunnel to escape through, giving him thorough instructions before  walking away from the boy.

 

Dae-Jung sighs quietly as he tries to shake off the strong wave of anxiety about to wash over. “Come on, dumbass, you can do this.” He muttered to no one but himself, opening the map and making his way through the tunnel.

 

He constantly looked behind him in the tight tunnel to make sure no guards are secretly following him, his grip starting to tighten on the map in his hands and began to crumple the ends of it, nervousness was taking over. Once he reached the end of the tunnel, he almost felt nausea at the distant sight-- or what he thought was the distant sight-- of a trail of blood. In various places.

 

This was to be expected of course, since many people before him have also tried to flee the country… Only for few to not be able to make it. He wasn’t sure if they were shot dead or if they were shot and dragged to the camps which were far worse than death.

 

“Oh God.” Dae-Jung almost whimpers, taking a few steps back from hesitation. His hand goes over his mouth as his breath quickens, his anxiety building up. “I can’t.” He says, gulping down any feelings of nausea further coming his way. “I don’t think I can-- Can I?” He eyes the ice across from the tunnel. Did he forget to mention that it’s winter in Norja Kileem right now? Well it’s certainly true, which is why the river between Norja Kileem and Ciaema is iced over. “I don’t…” Dae-Jung slumps against the wall, trying to take deep breaths and think this through on how he’s going to get across without getting killed. He just knows there are soldiers waiting in a hidden corner, ready to shoot him once he’s in sight.

 

He can’t go back. He’s made it this far and he’s sure someone has already been alerted that he’s ran from home. If he were to go back now, God knows what they would do to him and his family. Make an “example” out of him, perhaps? Or maybe they would just throw him in the one place that must be worse than hell itself. There’s no way he could even begin to hope to go back and try to get by in Norja Kileem. Even if he weren’t to get caught, how much longer until he dies of starvation? Until he has to watch his mother or his father die?

 

Flashbacks hit him. Flashbacks of his worried mother, flashbacks of his father giving Dae-Jung his portion of food and telling him to grow stronger than his parents. He can’t bring himself to let them down now, can he? He balls his hands into fists and closes his eyes as he feels tears come up and burn. He has to do this. For not only himself, but his family.

 

Dae-Jung then stands up straight and turns back towards the exit, deciding he can’t waste another minute to put it off.

 

He pokes his head out of the tunnel, finding it rather odd at how silent his surroundings are. He takes a deep breath and holds it, for he feels that even the slightest breath would set off alerts and have bullets zoom his way. Dae-Jung about makes a break for it until he hears shouting in the distance and multiple guns shoot as well. It was a split second that he noticed a woman running and several bullets painting her back and taking her down. He had no time to freeze up, taking this moment to run across the frozen river to freedom.

Dae-Jung made it about  most of the way, until he heard bullets fly right by his head-- almost too close to him. He wanted to look back to see how many people were chasing after him if there were any guards running after him but he felt as if that would be his last if he were to look. So he kept running, feeling his face become hotter and hotter under his mask.

 

And then the heat quickly became the least of his worries when he felt a bullet slam into his shoulder, causing him to cry out and nearly topple over. He’s almost to the other side, he’s so close. But when he crosses over, what’s next? Is he going to be sent back over, will the guards be allowed to come grab him? Or is something worse to come his way? That is, if he even manages to get out of the border area between Ciaema and Norja Kileem.

 

His arm grows numb as he gets closer and closer-- before another bullet shoots in his back, causing him to collapse to his knees as the excruciating pain made it about impossible to move.

 

Dae-Jung was so close to his goal, yet so far. His vision blurred. He couldn’t even think since his mind grew numb due to the pain. He felt strong hands grab his arms and he couldn’t even muster up the will to fight against the person who hauled him over the ice. The hurt spread to more parts of his body quickly, hurting all over the place. His eyes could do nothing but stare at the ground, at the blood trail following his dragged body as he struggled to even breathe.

 

More bullets were heard. But they grew so distant once his world turned dark.

0