Chapter 2
81 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Big. That was the first thing that Shawn noticed about the demons in the distance. Each one had to be at least seven feet, if not taller. Their skin was reddish in color and, judging from the charred black burns that coated many of them, extremely tough. They stood on thick, muscled legs but occasionally would stoop down and use their clawed, equally strong arms to run on all fours. Horned heads, rows of razor-sharp teeth, and spiked tails, this foe truly earned the name demon.

"Their armor is weaker on the chest!" Corporal Barnes continued to shout instructions as the ground shook from the approaching hoard. "Hit them straight on or your shot will not penetrate."

Barnes took up a shooting position right next to Shawn along the trench wall.

"Gods help us, that's a lot of them." Barnes uttered just loud enough for Shawn to hear.

The corporal turned his head to Shawn and nodded down to the combat knife in his hands.

"Keep that close. You're probably going to need it before the day is through."

Shawn tightened his grip on the knife and Barnes focused back in on aiming his weapon.

Don't I have anything else? Shawn thought, frantically pulling open his menu.

Right as he pressed the inventory tab, a deafening wave of gunfire erupted from the trench line. It began to the North but soon the entire line let loose. The soldiers around him furiously slid their bolts back and forth, reaching an impressive rate of fire for their weapon type. Shawn could make out the steadier sound of belt fed machine guns keeping a consistent hail of gunfire down range. Shawn risked a quick peek over the ridge and witnessed the massacre firsthand. The demons in the lead crossed both arms protectively over their chest. Shawn watched countless bullets ricochet off of the beasts' natural plating. However, even with their impressive defenses, the sheer volume of lead being thrown at them proved too much for many of the demons up front. Rounds tore through the gaps in their arms and shredded the creatures' softer chest. The lead demons dropped to the mud only to get stomped out of sight by the thousands of their friends right behind them.

Barnes is right. Shawn felt his stomach churn. They're not killing them fast enough. The demons are going to reach the trench.

He turned quickly back to his now opened inventory and scanned its contents.

T-shirt: 0 Armor. Equipped

Jeans: 0 Armor, +1 plant resistance. Equipped

Tennis Shoes: 0 Armor, +1 Dexterity on smooth surfaces. Equipped

Standard issue combat knife: +10 to attacks (unproficient). Equipped

Shawn frowned and placed the knife on the ground. It disappeared from his inventory.

This only shows things that are on my body? He scanned the window and confirmed that there was no option for storing or withdrawing options. This doesn't help at all.

Shawn picked his knife back up and switched the window to the status tab.

Shawn Driggs

Level: 1

XP: 0

HP: 100/100

Strength: 10

Dexterity: 10

Vitality: 10

Intelligence: 10

Charisma: 10

Current Status Effects:

-Inspiring presence: You've been buffed by a friendly leader. +10 to defense against fear attacks added. Duration, 1 hour.

-The power of denim: You no longer fear knee high bushes. +1 plant resistance.

Shawn sighed and closed the window. There was a lot to unpack but he didn't have the time. As if to emphasis his last thought, corporal Barnes shouted a new set of orders.

"Bayonets! Affix Bayonets!"

The men in his squad paused momentarily to slide a bayonet onto the end of their weapon then immediately resumed firing. Shawn risked another look over the edge. Bodies lay dead and broken across the landscape. The hoard had been dealt a serious blow, but it wasn't enough. The men began to back up from the front wall of the trench as the closest demon closed the last few feet in great powerful strides.

"Hold!" Barnes shouted as he fired the last round in his weapon and downed the demon.

It fell to the dirt, head flopping just over the edge of where Shawn stood. Shawn reflexively backed up a few paces as the next demon leapt over his fallen comrade. A quick series of shots rang out around him and Shawn had to dive out of the way as the demon crashed into the far side of the trench, its chest torn to shreds. As the men frantically reloaded their weapons, three more stepped into the trench. Screams could be heard up and down the defensive line as the fighting became close quarters. Shawn gripped his knife with white knuckles as three members of Barnes' squad fell instantly. The demons roared with delight as blood dripped from their claws.

The fear effect of Fiend Roar has been negated due to Inspiring Presence.

Well. At least there's that. Shawn thought dryly as his eyes frantically scanned the nearest demon for an opening.

He was scared, but he would never be able to forgive himself if everyone around him died while he stood around and did nothing. The demon closest to him knocked away a poorly aimed jab with a soldier's bayonet. It reached over to the unbalanced soldier and pulled him forward, fangs bared and ready to bite the soldier's exposed neck. Shawn sprang into action and leapt onto the shoulder of the surprised demon. With a wild yell, Shawn thrust the knife as far as he could, catching the demon in the eye. The beast roared and released the soldier in its grip. It's wild flailing knocked both Shawn and the soldier back.

"Heads up!" A soldier called out and Shawn turned just in time to catch a bayonet tipped rifle in his hands.

Shawn flipped the weapon right side up and thrust the blade upwards into the creature's chest. A gurgling howl was cut short, and the demon fell back in a motionless heap.

You've unlocked the blade skill. Level 1. Access more information in the skill's menu.

Shawn didn't have time to read the message before the soldier that tossed him the rifle called out to him.

"You're loaded!" The soldier picked up another rifle off the muddied ground and began to load it with spare ammo on his belt. "Fire at will!"

Shawn's father had been good friends with the local sheriff, who was a bit of a gun enthusiast. Shawn had grown up around firearms and learned the basics of safety, how to care for the weapons, how they work, and, of course, how to fire them. While he had never fired a model like the one in his hands, it didn't take more than a glance to figure everything out. If it resembled the Springfield rifle in more than just appearances, Shawn knew he would only have five shots before he was out of ammunition.

Shawn thumbed the safety off and turned to the south where the other two closest demons would be. Five more of Barnes' men lay dead in the mud and the corporal himself was not in good shape. The two monsters kept up a constant barrage of deadly swipes aimed at Barnes and a deep gash in his left leg left him much less mobile than he needed to be. Barnes' only saving grace was the fact that the trench wasn't wide enough to allow both demons to stand abreast. They kept pulling each other back as they fought to be the one to finish off Barnes.

Shawn aimed down the iron sights of his newly acquired rifle and locked onto the back of the creature closest to Barnes. He almost squeezed the trigger but stopped himself when he remembered that the beasts were armored heavily all over their body except for their chest. Shawn adjusted his aim and squeezed off a shot, hoping to catch the creature in the eye. The round struck the creature's horn and ricocheted into the dirt. He failed to damage the demon, but he successfully gained its attention. It looked back and made eye contact with Shawn, its red irises flaring up dangerously. The second creature glanced back as well.

"Thanks kid!" Barnes called out as he lunged forward.

The demon closest to him sensed his presence and swung his arm around. Barnes ducked under the swiping claws and brought his bayonet up and into the center of the creature's chest, killing it instantly. The second demon roared in anger and flung the limp body of its companion out of the trench and into a nearby crater. Barnes surprised it by rolling towards the creatures and diving forward to get closer to where Shawn stood. The creature turned, following Barnes and unwittingly exposed its chest. Shawn fired his second shot, catching the creature fully by surprise as the bullet tore through the right edge of the softer tissue. Shawn threw the bolt back and forward again to chamber the next round. The creature's shock turned to anger as it began to charge towards Shawn. His third shot found its mark closer to the center of the chest, but the demon continued its forward momentum, unphased.

Just as Shawn was about to panic, the demon stepped over the prone corporal who flipped over and shot directly up into the creature's lower jaw. Howling in pain, the demon stopped long enough for Shawn to unload his final two bullets. It fell backwards with a sickening crunch and remained motionless on the trench floor.

You've unlocked the firearm skill. Level 1. Access more information in the skill's menu.

You've leveled up. Level 2. Access more information in the status menu.

The chimes could barely be heard over the gunshots, screams, and sounds of battle all around Shawn. Barnes stood up with a grimace and had to favor his injured leg as he hobbled forward.

"Thanks kid. I owe you one." the corporal reached into one of his pockets and tossed Shawn a pair of clips for his rifle.

Shawn merely nodded and hurried to reload his gun with the new ammunition.

"Corporal Barnes!" A shout came from the south.

Shawn looked up to see the same officer from earlier rushing towards them.

"Sergeant major Coal." Barnes snapped to attention, wincing as he did so.

The officer's brown uniform was torn and coated with blood. Shawn couldn't honestly tell if it was the man's own. He carried the same side arm that he had threatened Shawn with earlier but now he also had a sword in his other hand that Shawn had completely missed earlier. The sword was just as bloody as the sergeant major's uniform. The haggard officer slowed down but didn't stop as he pushed passed.

"Corporal, take what men you have and head south along the line. That's where the enemy were most concentrated, and a large group broke through." Coal began to sprint again but shouted back one last bit of information. "Calvary is on the way, but they need time. Buy it!"

"Yes sir." Barnes saluted the back of the man as he disappeared around the next bend.

Barnes' squad had been reduced to a handful of men. Most, like the corporal himself, were sporting fresh injuries from the fighting. Shawn wasn't sure if it was the added defense against fear attacks, but all of the remaining men looked ready to keep going, despite their injuries.

"Anyone who is mobile, follow me." Barnes turned and began to limp southward.

"Corporal, sir." Shawn rushed after the injured man. "At least let me look at your leg. I know a little bit of first aid."

Barnes pushed him aside. "I appreciate it kid but we don't have that kind of time. Stick close. There's more fighting to be done."

Shawn wanted to force Barnes to sit this one out but knew he would never listen. Instead, Shawn borrowed a tool belt from a soldier too injured to follow. Cinching the belt around his waist, Shawn placed his extra ammunition clip into one of the pouches and hurried to catch up with the corporal.

I have a few chapters ready that I plan on releasing rapidly to celebrate publishing the story. After that supply has been exhausted, updates will shrink to a few times each week. Thanks for reading.

3