Chapter 5
63 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shawn Driggs

Level: 2

XP: 633

Skills:

Blade (Level 1): You know which end of a knife to hold. Gain Proficiency with basic edge based weaponry. 

Firearm (Level 1): Do not point towards your own face. Gain Proficiency with basic handguns and bolt action rifles.

**Note**

You recently leveled up and have yet to select a new skill to learn. You recently leveled up and have stat points that remain unallocated. Would you like to level up now?

|| Yes || No ||

Shawn nervously eyed the yes on the bottom of the display. Cherry, Anisha's griffin, had leveled out high in the sky and was maintaining a steady course to the east. The majestic, winged mount rode the air with enough grace that Shawn could freely read his skills menu without things jostling around too much.

I'm going to have to make smart decisions while leveling myself. Shawn reasoned internally. I'm willing to bet that my choices will be final so I shouldn't expect to be able to take things back later on.

After a deep breath, Shawn pressed the yes on the bottom of the page. There was a ding and the displayed changed.

Shawn Driggs

Level: 2

XP: 633

HP: 100/100

Strength: 10 +

Dexterity: 10 +

Vitality: 10 +

Intelligence: 10 +

Charisma: 10 +

Points left to allocate: 10

Current Status Effects:

-The power of denim: You no longer fear knee high bushes. +1 plant resistance. (Warning: Quality of item degrading. If the quality level grows too low this status effect will disappear.)

Skill left to be chosen. The skill options available at your current level are:

Bartering: Leveling up this skill will allow you to find favorable prices in any shops, trades, or transactions. Discounts and deal favorability are determined by skill level. 

Foraging: Leveling up this skill will allow you to find herbs, food, and valuable items in the wilderness. Limited to one terrain type per five levels. Amount and quality of foraged goods are determined by skill level. 

Observer: Leveling up this skill will allow you to gather information about items, NPCs, and locations you come across. The amount of information given is determined by skill level. 

Strider: Leveling up this skill will allow you to increase your base movement level and travel will tax less of your stamina. Base movement increase limited to 5% total. Stamina penalty reduction is determined by skill level. 

Lucky: ## (Insert descriptive text here) ##

Shawn's eyes bulged as he looked over the last skill he could choose from. There was a comment left for whatever passed as a developer over this world to put in a skill description. This 'game' wasn't even finished.

What does that mean for the skill itself? Shawn tried to tap the skill to see if it opened a sub menu.

Skill selection: Lucky. Are you sure?

|| Yes || No ||

Shawn hastily pressed no.

There's no guarantee that the skill even works. I don't even know what it does so I probably wouldn't even notice if it was.

If this was just a game, and not his current reality, Shawn would have picked the skill just to see what would happen. If it proved useless or catastrophic, he could just make a new character. Shawn couldn't rely on such luxuries existing here. Not wanting to make his life any harder than it already was, Shawn lifted his eyes to his other options.

Shawn's initial reaction was that bartering seemed like a solid choice. Better prices were important in games, the sooner you could acquire better gear or supplies, the better off a game character would be. Shawn held himself back though, and a quick review of his inventory reminded him of how little he had to barter with.

T-shirt: 0 Armor. (Quality degrading). Equipped

Jeans: 0 Armor, +1 plant resistance. (Quality degrading). Equipped

Tennis Shoes: 0 Armor, +1 Dexterity on smooth surfaces. (Quality degrading). Equipped

Standard issue combat knife: +10 to melee attacks made with this weapon. Unequipped

Shatterbrew bolt action rifle (empty): Damage profile, 80 base, up to 1,200 yards.

Armor penetration, medium.

Critical strike, capable.

Un-equipped.

Shawn didn't want to sell the muddied clothes off his back until he had some replacements. His hand reached back and touched the barrel of the rifle slung across his back. Empty or not, Shawn didn't think it would be wise to sell his gun just yet. Having eliminated bartering from consideration, Shawn's eyes fell to foraging.

It doesn't sound exciting. Shawn mused. But it might be a good way to start earning money. I have no idea how valuable this skill would be. It would be a risk but at least I know I would be able to start making money.

Shawn thought the strider skill could be useful but maybe it wasn't something he should pick up right away.

Then again, Shawn paused as a new thought entered his mind, I have no guarantee that I'll be able to pick from these same options again later.

Shawn ran an aggravated hand through his hair. The motion nudged Anisha in front of him.

"What is it?" She had to speak loudly over the wind in their ears and the muffling effect of her helmet.

"Sorry its..." Shawn trailed off.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask her about it.

"Anisha?" Shawn began.

The armored young woman turned her head slightly and waited.

"Do people make a lot of money foraging out in the wilderness?"

Shawn couldn't see her face, but he could hear her confusion.

"Foraging? People do that?"

That doesn't score many points for that skill. Shawn grimaced.

"Never mind, what about bartering at shops and stuff? Do you have a lot of experience with that? Is it difficult?"

Anisha shifted awkwardly in the saddle.

"I don't..." She shook her head. "No, I don't have a lot of experience."

Shawn felt his hope deflate slightly, "Okay... Don't worry about it. Sorry I was just curious."

Anisha turned back to the front and continued to guide Cherry through the skies.

I just don't have enough information about this world. Shawn grumbled to himself as he looked over his options again.

His eyes paused on the skill in the center. Information...

Observer: Leveling up this skill will allow you to gather information about items, NPCs, and locations you come across. The amount of information given is determined by skill level.

This could be it. Shawn poured over the small amount of descriptive text. At least this way I could find out what's valuable, who people are, and if I'm facing an enemy that's out of my league.

Shawn nodded to himself and pressed on the skill.

Skill selection: Observer. Are you sure?

|| Yes || No ||

His finger tapped the yes button, and a chime rang out.

New Skill, Observer, acquired. Level 1.

Observer comes with an active ability, Identify.

Identify: Activate by verbally speaking the command and focusing on an object. Current range, 15 feet.

I wonder if Barnes' inspiring presence was an active ability. That also brings up the question of if the people of this world are aware of these game elements.

Shawn looked at the back of Anisha's head.

"Identify."

A chime sounded and a new window appeared in front of Shawn.

Human Swordsman.

"Oh thanks." Shawn groaned and rammed his head into Anisha's back armor plating.

She jumped in place. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"Sorry." Shawn lifted his head off her back, a fresh red mark now visible just below his hairline. "I was just disappointed with something. I'll explain later."

"Right..." Anisha sounded unconvinced.

I suppose I can't expect much when I haven't leveled up the skill at all. Shawn reasoned.

To alleviate his fears, Shawn pulled his skills menu back up and pressed on the new addition. After tapping the skill, a small hidden progress bar sprang to life under Shawn's finger. The tiniest sliver of progress could be seen in the otherwise empty bar. Shawn heaved a sigh of relief. If he leveled up the skill, he would eventually get better information than just 'human swordsman'.

"How much further?" Shawn asked the human herself.

Anisha paused for a moment as she considered. "Maybe a half hour."

"I guess now is as good of a time as any to ask where exactly you are taking me?"

"Central Maston. My home." Anisha answered.

"Central Maston." Shawn repeated. "Is that a city?"

Anisha nodded. "We'll talk after we land. I'm sure we both have many questions."

Shawn couldn't argue with that. Shawn settled back into the rear saddle and opened up his menu once more. He had stat points to divvy out.

 

New chapter tomorrow. As always, thanks for reading.

2