Chapter 11: Day Dreams Falling to Night
1.3k 12 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Should the next chapter be split up? (Read Author note for details)
  • Yes, posted on same day Votes: 22 47.8%
  • Yes, posted on separate days Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Do not split up the chapter Votes: 14 30.4%
Total voters: 46 · This poll was closed on Jul 28, 2021 02:06 PM.
Hi everyone.

We're quickly approaching the end of this book, and there's a few things I need to go over. First off I need to address the poll. Chapter 12 is by far the longest chapter in this story. For comparison, chapter 4 is the second longest (~18 pages, and chapter 12 is about 50% longer than it (~27 pages). I've made the poll to let you all decide if it should be split up or not. Please note that if the chapter is split up, the first half will likely have a big cliffhanger.

 

Second off, and more importantly. Chapters 11 and more so chapter 12 will be dealing with some heavy material, so please be sure you're ready to read it comfortably. Reader discretion is advised.

Content warning for misgendering, deadnaming, and doubt of a person's mental state.

“Haaa,” Xenia exhaled as she exited the inn, having finished the preparations for Saya, Aria, and Mable to stay there for the evening. It was the best she could do given the circumstances, and the other knights, as well as herself would have to camp outside of the city due to the large number of guests present for the festival. She considered it odd that such a town went on with so little information reaching the castle. It was larger than most towns, very nearly a city in size and population. Yet why was such a prosperous place completely absent in her briefings. Particularly with this journey. Their departure was abrupt and swift, but the King neglected to note any towns in the region. In fact, he had said they were all negligible. “Haaa,” she took another deep breath as she relented on such thoughts. Besides they were truly minor compared to the true weight upon her mind.

“What is the matter, Captain?” her trusted second hand, Fiona asked. With her helmet removed, her long wavy blonde hair was left to tumble over her shoulders, a head piece, representing her family, made of fine chains with a single sapphire where the three chains united resting at the parting of her hair. Her blue eyes pried upon her captain, stern yet conveying worry and concern with a slight softness.

“Tis nothing,” she sighed. “Just a tad beleaguered by this ordeal.”

“I am uncertain I see the problem your highness. The princess did raise a good point, and many of the knights were joyous to learn they would have some time to unwind,” Fiona replied.

“And you are right about that. I suppose I am just weary from this long journey. I am approaching my wits end. And Saya’s behaviors continue to prod at me,” she lamented.

“I understand captain,” Fiona nodded. “It has been a long journey now, and we have been uncertain of how long it will take to arrive at the Dark Forest,” she frowned.

“The Dark Forest, we still know so little about it,” Xenia lamented.

“The Dark Forest?” asked a passing gentleman, the two turning their attention to the man. He wore sharp red suit, blanketed by his dark cloak, matching his smooth dark hair and dark eyes. “Are you looking for that forest to the North?” The two knights glanced each other as the other passing individuals enjoyed the revelry of the night, unaware of the sudden stroke of luck occurring before them.

The Lumina Knights all took great strides to enjoy themselves and heal their spirits and wills after the debilitating journey they had experienced over the many days of the past month. Some danced, others played games, while others simply enjoyed the food and the merriment of the crowds. The night brought a peaceful calm to them before they had to inevitably leave the town and prepare camp, remaining full of merriment. Mable even used the time to enjoy the festival with the sisters who drove their carriage, Rosa, Cordelia, and Brooke, who made sure the shy elf still managed to enjoy their time, before she too retired to the inn, like she was instructed, cheerfully eating a blueberry tart she had purchased that evening.

Yet, like all nights, it too came to an end and in seemingly no time the morning sun gently caressed the town and camp, a crisp sweet air dispersing through the streets and upon the nearby hills. The three girls remaining in the town woke early, gleefully recharged and happily on their way to reunite with the others, Mable giggling at Saya’s high spirits as Aria bashfully told her about their night. As the three approached the campsite, Saya’s eyes became captured by a small hillside overlooking the town. Inspiration igniting within her, she swiftly split from the two to return to her carriage, much to Aria and Mable’s amusement.

“We’re back captain,” Aria announced as they approached Xenia who was busy reading over a folded piece of paper.

“You’ve returned,” she smiled, looking up at them. “Hmm? Where’s Saya?”

“Oh, she got really excited about something on our way over. I think she wanted to paint, so she went to collect her supplies,” Mable giggled.

“You’re certain she won’t disappear this time, right?” Xenia sighed.

“Certainly not,” Aria chuckled. “Rosa and the others are going to look after her. They said we should head over to speak with you though. Was there something you wished to discuss Captain?”

“There is,” she nodded. “Fiona and I came into some rather useful information last night.”

“Information?” Mable tilted her head, resting her chin upon her forefinger as her ears twitched slightly.

“Indeed. We came across a gentleman who is familiar with these parts. He informed us that the Dark Forest is nary a day’s trip from here. If we leave tomorrow morning, we should arrive by midday tomorrow,” she explained. “The others are finishing our final preparations as we speak.

“Th-the dark forest?” Aria jumped a little. “That’s really sudden,” she said sullenly.

“I was surprised as well, but we checked with a few others, and it seems the information is likely accurate, we even managed to acquire a map of the area. We also acquired some advice about navigating the forest.”

“Advice?” Aria repeated.

“It appears that the Dark Forest’s name is not simply due to its reputation for malevolent residents, but due to the thick dark clouds of fog that purvey its interior,” she explained. “Mable, do you think you could do something about that?”

“O-oh,” Mable snapped her attention upward and away from the ground where it had seemingly been stuck to for a while. “Y-yes, that should be easy enough. The lamps I brought should work with some alterations. It should only take a little tinkering with them to make them effective against the fog.”

“Good,” Xenia nodded. “Aria, we should also go over our strategy for the fights ahead.”

“I-I’ll go take care of the lanterns then,” Mable bowed as she turned to leave.

“Thank you, Mable,” Xenia thanked her as she ran off. “Now then, Aria…” she began before noticing Aria giving a frustrated expression. “Is something the matter?”

“I…I just…I’m nervous captain.”

“Nervous? What for?”

“Are we doing the right thing?”

“What do you mean by that?” Xenia said crossly.

“I just…last night when I was with Saya, she seemed so happy, so joyful. I…I’m no longer sure what to believe. Is this really for the best?” Aria lamented.

Xenia sighed. “I was afraid you might say something like that.”

“Captain, I…” she whimpered.

“I understand how you feel Aria, but you must remember to remain objective. Saya…nay, Gilbert is being affected by the curse of that witch, the curse of Phordata. That witch’s spell likely has been influencing his mind,” she explained.

“I know, it’s just…”

“Recall all the inconsistent behaviors he has displayed during this trip. It was not long ago that he was an emotional mess, yet now he wears a gleeful expression as if nothing is wrong. Is that not the slightest bit suspicious to you?”

“You…you’re right,” she frowned.

“Please, do not let the witch’s spell deceive you,” Xenia frowned in turn. “We must…we must remain vigilant. We must not relinquish him to this curse, even if his will has waned. It is the only way to save him,” she said bitterly.

“To save him, huh,” Aria repeated. She tried to juggle her personal feelings and desires as well as the reality she knew to be true. It was a convenient idea she had followed, but she could not deny Xenia’s assertions. Her beloved friend had been acting peculiarly, it was true. One day struck by grief and unease, while the next smiling and giddy, all the while becoming more feminine in demeanor. Despite how she felt, she could not ignore the building case Xenia presented her with. She took a deep breath and nodded. Even if it was difficult, she had to remain strong and vigilant for her friend. “You’re right captain. I’m sorry for wavering,” she said with a strong and gracious smile. “I shall not waver again. No matter what.”

“It is alright, like I said, I understand,” she said placing her hand on her shoulder. “I have been struggling with those same doubts. Perhaps it is a blessing that my distance during this journey has granted me the boon to remain objective. I can only apologize for not being with you two more often and aiding you in deterring the curse,” she frowned. The two nodded in solidarity. No matter what may come their way, their blades and wills had become tempered, steadfast against the looming threat just beyond the morrow.

Elsewhere, on a grassy knoll beyond the other side of camp, Saya looked on upon the beautiful scene before her. It was impressive how far they had come since the morning, the town of Hollow obscured by the wooded path just beyond its walls. It was a moment she could not pass up, especially with the feelings that had been building up with in her since the day before. The joyful memories pushed her on to capture the beautiful landscape before her, capturing the glee she felt fill her.

Her brush glided across the page, much like the smile upon her lips, minutes and then hours passing by in serene tranquility, the scent of the sweet water she used to clean and wet her brush slowly giving way to the muskier smells of her paints. She giggled as she reveled in the fun she was having, happily huddled up, her beautiful flowing white dress bunched up as she sat upon her cushy blanket to prevent the dress from being stained. An admittedly silly concern when she was dealing with paint, but she had become rather adept at using a brush and had managed to escape with few of her dresses being marked by paint. Her white gloved hands elegantly continued to pull and drag the brush, as she filled the page with colors.

She leaned back against the scratchy bark of the tall tree looming behind her quietly reminiscing about how lovely the night before was. How Aria won her the lovely fairy plush she adored, how lovely their dance was, the wonder of the fireworks, and how she enjoyed it all with Aria, her beloved knight. The thoughts made her blush, almost as much as a certain other discovery she made last night. She quietly giggled to herself as she thought about the lovely sensations that filled her. “Now, now, those are not very princessy thoughts,” she giggled to herself with a blush. She took a deep breath as she chuckled about the irony of such a sentiment, yet she enjoyed basking in such pleasant feelings. “Last night really was lovely. I hope we stumble upon something like that again.”

“Princess, are you almost finished?” Rosa called out to her. “We should really head back soon. It’s going to be getting dark soon.”

“Your sister would also like to speak to you,” Cordelia added.

She turned to face them managing to see them just past the tree. “One moment, I am finishing up!” she answered with a wave. Just a few more strokes until it was finished and…there, all done. She smiled happily at the pleasant little painting she had made. It was nothing as grand as anything Hannah’s shop had on display, but she was truly happy with how it had turned out. She gave a solid nod to her painting as she set it down and began putting her tools away and folding up her blanket, stowing them all in the wicker basket she got from Hannah to help transport it.

“Princess!” Rosa called out again.

“I am coming,” she laughed as she emerged from beyond the tree, “no need to get all antsy,” she chuckled. She held the basket firmly in her right hand, with the blanket tucked under her arm, while her painting and the wooden board it was mounted to were carefully held in her left. “My, you all are energetic,” she giggled.

“Y-yeah,” Rosa nodded with a hesitant nod. Saya wondered why she seemed so concerned. Maybe it was a knight thing? She could hardly recall a knight’s concerns anymore, not that she had much field experience in the first place, but such training seemed entirely foreign to her now, which felt comforting to her. Since having such distance with her training, she had begun to realize how stifling it was to her, and consequently she thought little of such thoughts now. Surely, they were just worried though. Even so, there was something peculiar about her attitude, but she could not figure out what.

“Let’s go,” Cordelia gave a graceful nod as the three began making their way back.

After briefly stopping by her carriage to drop off her supplies, she quietly basked in the joy brought to her by her recent project before being prodded again by the knights. They certainly were eager, it was almost discomforting. Xenia must really have something important to tell her, although she was uncertain what it was. She eagerly headed to the tent that Xenia was operating out of, painting in hand.

“Oh, Saya! You’re back,” Aria called to her as she entered the tent. “How’d everything go?”

“It went quite well,” she said cheerily. “I had a lot of fun painting today, and I am quite pleased with how it came out,” she turned the wooden board around to reveal it to Xenia and Aria. It was a simple watercolor of the autumn landscape, the leafless trees stood in a peaceful sea of reds and oranges from the fallen leaves. A dark brown path weaved through the sea of color, vanishing behind the trees and the shadows of a nearby hill before finally reappearing and leading into the town streets. She was not great at painting the buildings yet and the composition was still a little simplistic, but the painting had a certain peaceful warmth to it, which contrasted well with the bright blue sky. “What do you think?” she asked bashfully.

“Wow, it’s so pretty! I can’t believe how good you’re getting,” Aria smiled, Saya grinning giddily at her glee.

“Then here!” Saya joyfully began handing the painting to Aria. “I want you to have it.”

“Saya, are you sure?” she gasped.

“I am, I have desired to thank you for all you have done, so I wanted to give you something, and I wanted to give you a memento to remember the Red Leaf Festival,” she said eagerly as a gentle blush engulfed her face.

“Thank you, I’ll treasure it,” she said gently hugging the painting while looking wistfully at Saya. Saya was struck by that. Her expression was almost sad. Why was that?

“Eh-hem,” Xenia cleared her throat.

“Oh, right!” Aria yelped, giving a nod. “We’ve got good news,” she gave a gentle smile.

“We have learned that we are not even a day out from the Dark Forest. We shall be there before tomorrow’s end,” Xenia explained with pride. “I did not realize we had come so close, but it appears as though our journey is very nearly over.”

“Isn’t that great, you’ll return to be back to your former self before you know it,” Aria said hugging Saya.

Saya stared at her in shock. “W-what?”

“Is something the matter?” asked Aria. “You don’t seem very happy.”

“I…uh…”

“I see, you must be anxious?” Xenia guessed with a chuckle.

“Yeah…I guess…tis a lot to take in,” Saya said with a quiet whimper desperately hiding her intense desire to cry, quivering as she held back her tears.

“Worry not,” Xenia said approaching her. “We shall see this through to the end, and we shall succeed I promise you.”

“Yeah…okay,” Saya struggled to form a smile, which the other two returned with their own. She felt horrible giving such a false smile, it was painful trying to mask her pain, combined with the awkward sensation of lying when she had strived to be so honest til now. “I am going to step out for a bit. I think I need some fresh air,” Saya said meekly.

“We’ll be here when you get back,” Aria said, while hugging her. “Take all the time you need.”

As Saya left, Aria looked to Xenia a frustrated look upon her face. “Give him time,” Xenia reassured her. “I am certain he has a lot on his mind right now.”

“Right…” Aria nodded. “I cannot waver. Not now,” she said, gripping her hands. “I promised to protect you.”

The cool air of night began to set upon the Gaian soil, the light of the sun licking the horizon of its final pink glow, the sky gradually consumed by darkness. Saya wandered away from the tent and towards the quiet hilltop she spent much of her time earlier in the day, the joys she had painted upon her canvas all so distant now, even though it was barely over an hour before.

She leaned against the tree which she rested against so much today and fell to the ground her mouth agape as she looked on toward the star-filled sky, her gloved left hand clutching the other in her lap.

“What am I supposed to do?” she sobbed. “Why is this happening?” tears rolled down her face. “What am I supposed to tell them? Why…?” she moaned as she rolled to her side, crying underneath the quiet light of the moon.

As stated at the top please consider voting on the poll to help decide how the next chapter will be posted.

Also I would like to provide a forewarning that chapter 12 will deal with very heavy subject matter.

77