23- Small Blue Valley Spring (2)
254 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Crackle.

The campfire was burning bright.

The surrounding was covered in darkness.

The sun had already set.

The cultivators have decided to set up camp at the edge of the forest region away from the lake.

The wood was obtained from the surrounding trees.

The main harvest this time was just fresh sweet fruits.

Surprisingly, the surroundings were devoid of any animals or demonic beasts.

The seniors who went out to hunt came back empty-handed despite scouring through the region.

Even the water basin itself had no fish or shrimp, the water was clear with only aquatic plant life inside.

It had cast an eerie feeling among the team, considering not even bird cries or insect screeches could be heard since they entered the region.

Nevertheless, they have already decided to advance forth, thus they could not hesitate.

--

Langsheng could be seen at the side gorging upon a large watermelon.

Ruoxue could be seen chatting with Waner happily as they bit into their apples.

Liu Five could be seen on a treetop looking into the distance.

He was on guard duty for the first half of the night.

Senior Xuan was sitting just beside Liu Xun.

His large casket was placed to his side on the ground.

In his right hand was a freshly cut mango.

Crunch.

He bit into the juicy mango as his large silent figure began to chew upon its soft and tender yellow flesh.

Liu Xun himself was holding a green pear.

He was slowly munching into the small fruit.

His thoughts began to wander.

This is my chance to thank Senior Xuan since he is conveniently beside me.

Senior Qin and Senior Gan have gone out to scout for any danger or treasure as well.

"Ehm, Senior Xuan?"

"Hmm?"

The large figure dressed in bandages and black monk robe along with a straw hat and Buddhist beads responded.

"I would like to thank you for your help all this time, you have been assisting me throughout the journey and even carried me while I was unconscious."

"No worries."

"Is there any way I can repay the favor?"

"No need, seniors help juniors."

Senior Xuan's replies were short and concise.

It further reinforces his image as a silent monk.

This really intrigues Liu Xun as he would not expect such a kind and patient person to engage in the practice of corpse arts, especially since he seemed to be a Buddhist cultivator who believes in nirvana.

This was obviously mostly just Liu Xun's speculation.

"I will try not to be a burden on the team and senior if possible."

Liu Xun said in a resolute voice.

He was really done with being the weakest leg in the team.

"Don't worry, I will protecting you all."

His hoarse voice could be heard, it had a tone of confidence behind it.

The conversation between the two then ended there.

--

"Hey, so what were you talking with Senior Xuan just now?"

The question came from the pudgy guy.

Two other pairs of eyes were staring right at Liu Xun.

They were Waner and Ruoxue.

Senior Xuan was gone from Liu Xun's side, it was time for him to switch guard duties with Liu Five.

The group of curious juniors then decided to come over to bother Liu Xun.

"It is nothing much."

"Nothing much? There is no need to hide such things from us, aren't we friends?"

This statement surprisingly came from the cranky girl Waner.

"Yeah, yeah that is right!"

Langsheng seemed to be of the same opinion as to her for once.

The two then continued their cooperative attack on Liu Xun.

"Calm down, the both of you. If Brother Liu Xun is not comfortable with speaking about it. There is no need for us to pry about it."

The calm and gentle Ruoxue chimed out.

She seemed to have provided Liu Xun a way out to extricate himself from this.

"Well, I will go and get some water. See you guys."

He said in a hurried manner as he slowly got to his feet and headed towards the basin.

"Man, he sure isn't fun."

Waner pouted as she looked at the departing Liu Xun.

"Right? He did not have to be so secretive about it. We wouldn't spread a word."

Langsheng followed up.

"Don't get too chummy with me! And you, the number one parrot in the Liu Family, keeping secrets? Only a dog will believe such a statement. No, even dogs won't fall for this!"

Waner snapped back as she glared at Langsheng.

"What, you want to pick a fight!?"

"I'm not scared, bring it!"

The two started to bicker again.

"Those two are at it again."

Ruoxue said with a helpless smile, her face then changed to a serious pondering look.

"I wonder what secrets Brother Liu Xun is keeping."

--

Swoosh.

A gentle breeze ruffled across Liu Xun's long hair, gently caressing it as it flowed past.

Besides that single breeze, it was the very picture of tranquility.

Liu Xun could only hear his footsteps as he walked over to the small basin.

On his journey, his mind was filled with thoughts.

Becoming a cultivator...

Traveling with other cultivators...

Finding treasures...

Killing demonic beasts...

And leaving behind my beloved ax for a new weapon...

Liu Xun could feel the limitations that his old weapon has brought for him.

It was not as sharp, not as durable, and lacked qi conductivity compared to the weapons everyone else in the group used, this included the other Liu Family juniors.

It was an ordinary wood chopping ax after all.

Perhaps, this would be their last trip together.

Not into the mountains near the Liu Family mansion, but in a foreign place.

Is this as far as we can go together, partner?

He silently thought as he stared at the ax in his left hand.

Liu Xun has already felt the limits of his weapon, back when he fought the wolves and spiders.

His skills and cultivation may have been weak, but another huge factor for the weakness of his attacks was that his weapon quality was too lacking.

Liu Xun could not shirk of that sentimentality he had for his first weapon, but he could strongly feel its inherent limitations.

He could no longer put himself or anyone else in potential danger, just because of his own selfish desires.

I guess we will have to part at the end of this journey, huh?

Liu Xun's thought to himself as he approached the serene basin.

He observed the water in the basin, it was crystal clear and still.

Liu Xun then looked around, finding a small rock by the waterside where he could sit at.

Taking a seat on that rock, he opened the cloth sack hanging from his back.

A dull rectangular grey stone block.

That was the item he retrieved from his sack.

Liu Xun then placed the stone on his lap.

Dip.

Cupping some water from the basin using his right hand, Liu Xun gently let it flow above the dull stone block.

He then took his ax and held in on both hands as he slowly began rubbing the blade against the whetstone.

Well, at least till then. Let me still treat you as always, okay?

His eyes turned into gentle crescents as he gave a slight smile.

Shing. Shing.

The sound of gentle grating could be heard in the darkness, barely illuminated under the moonlit night.

Does anyone still remembered their first school bag or pencil case? This is kind of a similar situation, just that a weapon is more essential.

 

14