34- Unforgettable Past
246 5 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day hurried to an end as the sun set beyond the horizon.

A small campfire was lit, a short distance away from the river.

The group of cultivators was gathered by the fire as they cultivated in silence.

Gruuuuuu~

The sounds of a stomach rumbling came forth. It seemed to be from Langsheng as the embarrassed youth struggled to compose himself. The other cultivators revealed troubled smiles despite having their eyes closed as they had similar sentiments. It was largely forbidden to eat whilst in the peace zones. Since non-aggression laws have been enforced, it would be stupid to perform actions that would tempt others to offend you. Therefore, not only humans but beasts themselves refrain from hunting or bringing hunted prey into this zone.

As such, the group could only silently bear their hunger for the night as they cultivated in silence. Liu Xun was not particularly bothered by this, he had quite the tolerance for hunger as he had to often go into the mountain depths as a woodsman for a day or two without any food. Other cultivators would also have similar experiences, but for prolonged durations.

Gruuuuuuuuu~

The stomach rumbling continued.

"Oh, shut it already....."

Waner spitted out in a venomous tone as she gave Langsheng a death glare.

"Hey...tell that to my little brother here. I am not the one trying to protest..."

Langsheng responded helplessly, for once not in the mood to argue with the twin bun lady.

"Just endure for the night, Brother Langsheng. We will have a meal once we leave tomorrow morning."

Ruoxue commented by the side in a calm and gentle tone.

The pudgy youth nodded in silence as he clenched his fists while focusing deeply on his meditation, which was a rather surreal sight.

Liu Xun shook his head helplessly at the previous conversation as he slowly stood up and started walking towards the riverside.

--

The young man slowly approached the small river. He then took a sit by the edge of the river as he looked up into the sky.

Tonight, a full moon gazed down upon him. Similarly, a full moon's reflection looked up at him from the river's surface. The scene was that of a calm and serene night as small glitter bugs could be seen dancing on the water surface, engaging in their passionate rituals. These bugs added more colors to the carpet of stars that were reflected upon the water surface, leading the sight to be even more breathtaking.

Liu Xun took a deep breath as he looked around. Beasts were gathered in their own spots around the clearing, a few of them were resting just by the riverside. This peaceful scenery that was engraved into his eyes, how long would such peace last. And could there be true peace between demonic beasts and humans? Such thoughts ran across his mind, as the young man continued to stare at the moon that was reflected on the water surface.

Small footsteps quietly moved behind him.

Ting-ling.

A small chime came from behind.

It was no surprise who the approaching visitor was as the young lady slowly rested by his side. A faint fragrance smelling of lavender came lingering across to Liu Xun's nose. The young man, however, did not turn his head as he continued to stare at the moon's reflection.

"Hey~are you feeling lonely?"

A calm and gentle voice rang from his side.

"Lonely...with you and the others here, not re—"

Liu Xun began talking while gazing at the water as he suddenly paused.

"Perhaps, you are right. I am missing home, I guess? This slight feeling of desolation that is buried in my chest..."

He continued as he slowly reflected upon himself.

"Missing home, huh. That will be a feeling that would constantly linger once you journey out as a cultivator."

The young lady mentions lightly as she ponders upon the meaning of home.

"Is Lady Millie suggesting that I should quell my ambitions? Staying with my family rather than seeking immortality?"

He lightly questioned her as he averted his gaze from his scenery to the young lady beside him. Silvery-blue hair that shone brightly under the moonlight, purple amethyst eyes that glittered brighter than the stars. The young lady that was half a foot away turn to face him.

"I already said to just call me Millie! But, staying with family...seeking immortality...nope, I did not mean to say that."

She scolded in a playful tone, before suddenly shaking her head as she gave a sad and tragic look.

"After all, even by staying with them, there will be a day where we all have to part."

Millie then turned to look at the moon as she lightly reached her hand out. Not the one in the water, but the one up in the sky.

"To part and never meet again..."

She said out with a tone of longing, as tears slowly fell from her eyes.

Liu Xun did not say anything, he just looked in silence.

Bump.

Liu Xun felt something press against his left shoulder. A slight warmth. A thick fragrance of lavender. Silk-like hair gently brushing against his cheeks and neck.

His face started to burn up slightly as his internal emotions started to run haywire. Is this a sign? Of his popularity and perhaps his chance to no longer be a solo dog? Nono, it is not good to make any of such assumptions as it could just be a friendly gesture. Or could it be something more?

Such thoughts constantly rushed through his mind as the troubled youth stood stock still, completely unsure how to respond to this scenario. As such, the silence continued as Millie gazed up staring at the moon.

"Hey, are you interested in hearing a story?"

The young lady suddenly asked in a gentle and delicate tone.

The young and confused youth was still struggling with his internal dilemma as the silence continued to decorate this serene and graceful scene. Moments passed as the two sat together side by side, both gazing towards the moon. One gaze at the moon in the sky, the other gazed at the moon in the water. As there was no response, the silver-haired Millie took it as a sign of agreement. She then wrapped her finger around her lock as she played with the bell at its ends. Ting-ling.

"You know, there once was a young girl. She was a blessed girl that was loved by all. Beauty that could fall countries, talent that could awe the greatest sects. The girl lacked nothing in her life."

She began to narrate as she told upon a tale with great reminiscence.

--

The girl came from a great family. The family treasured her dearly as they lavished her with the most beautiful dresses and gems. The girl lived happily as she grew beside this family, living every day happily in peace.

One winter morning, this little girl took a walk around her backyard. She noticed a small ball of orange fur. She looked curiously at this dirty ball of fur that lay upon the soil. Curiosity got to the better of her as she picked up a twig and gently poked against the small ball.

!!!

The ball shook. It unwrapped itself into a small figure.

Hissss!

It was a small orange fox cub. The young fox angrily growled towards the girl with vigilance and hostility as the large being gazed down upon it.

The girl looked at the fox cub. Red blood stained its bright orange coat. Faint trembling could be seen as the fox cub shivered in the cold. Its left foreleg was bleeding profusely as the underlying bone and muscles were revealed.

Aooooo! Aooooo!

The orange fox cub barked out in a threatening tone. The fox cub glanced tiredly at the young girl as she stretched out her hand.

Crunch!

Blood trickled from her finger, as the young girl looked towards the fox cub who fiercely bit at her hand. The fox's jaw remained clenched tight as it did not stop its bite.

The young girl felt a sharp stinging pain, yet she did not scream nor cry. She just gave a tender gaze towards this fox cub as she stretched out her other hand. She gently removed the scarf tied around her neck and wrapped it across the young fox.

The fox cub then gave a curious look towards the young girl, before gently releasing its jaw. The young girl then gave a beautiful smile as she gently patted the fox's head.

The fox cub began to close its eyes as it falls into a light slumber. The young girl then gently lifted the fox in her scarf as she brought it into the warm mansion.

--

The young girl and fox became close friends. They would often play together, go on journeys, eat on the same table and sleep on the same bed. Those were very precious moments to the young girl.

Days turned to months, months turned to seasons, seasons turned to years.

The young girl had turned into a young lady, while the fox cub grew to become a beautiful adult fox.

The young lady then asked, "Will you stay by my side forever?"

The orange fox stared at her with a questioning look, perhaps it did not understand her.

Yet, the fox gently rubbed its head against her palms.

"Maybe you cannot understand my words, but I will always stay by yours."

She mumbled gently as she looked tenderly towards the orange fox.

She then gave it a deep hug.

--

The days that passed afterward were peaceful and tranquil.

Until that one day.

The young lady awoke in her bedroom, but something felt different.

The fox that used to be by her side was gone.

"Where are you?"

She cried out as she searched high and low.

She looked across the lands, mountains, and rivers for the fox, but detected no trace.

Despite her ardent search, for years on and on.

Till this day the fox was never found.

--

"Now the young lady remains waiting silently back at where the both of them call home. Patiently waiting for the fox to return by her side."

The young delicate voice continued before it reached an end.

By this time, tears continuously flowed down the silver-haired girl's beady eyes as she continued to look at the moon with a longing gaze.

"I...I wonder how the fox is now? Is it still alive? I-is it happy?"

Choked words came out as Millie struggled to finish her sentence. Light sniffles could be heard under the moonlight.

Liu Xun continued to stare into the moon in the river. He was no longer pondering about his previous happy thoughts. Rather he was silently embracing the young lady's story as he mulled over the meaning behind the young girl and the fox cub. Was this a story that Millie herself had experienced? The pain of wanting to be together, yet now remain apart.

He looked at the water rippling through as a fish moved in the river.

"I am not sure how happy the fox is or if it is alive. But I am sure that if it had chosen to leave the young lady, it must have made a big decision. After all, they were like family to each other. It might have preferred if the young lady would move on as well and not to wait for it any longer."

He muttered out his jumbled words. Personally, Liu Xun felt that his words were rather selfish and unthoughtful to presumptuously assume that those were the fox's thoughts and words. Yet, he could faintly resonate with the fox who chose to leave home as it resembled him who would have to leave upon his journey towards immortality.

"Big decision...family...move on...not to wait any longer..."

The young lady mumbled out broken words as she looked towards the moon. She then slowly turned towards Liu Xun as she gave a gentle smile.

"Thank you, Liu Xun."

She muttered out with sobs heard in between.

Pik.

A faint impression could be felt as a soft sensation rubbed against his cheek.

Liu Xun widened his eyes in surprise. Yet, when he turned to look by his side. There was no one left. The faint warmth and weight had vanished as well, faded away with the wind.

Only a slight trace of momentary warmth lay upon his right cheek, as the young man slowly raised his hand to feel it.

Okay, small tragic backstory check. Now then, most preparations are done!

7