38- White Yin Snow Forest (2)
196 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"System, sign in."

A strong convicted voice came across as Liu Xun pointed towards a large coniferous pine tree. The tree was significantly larger than its counterparts as it overlooked the entire snow-covered forest.

[Congratulations Host Liu Xun for signing in at the “Great Pine Mother Tree of the White Yin Snow Forest”. You have obtained the white prize - 1x exemplary grade minor regeneration pill!]

A small green pill fell onto his hand as he looked curiously at this new reward from the system.

"Ohhhh, you have gotten something decent!"

An impressed voice came from behind as blue boxes began to flood the black-robed youth.

Liu Ruoxue Affection +100

Liu Sanbo Affection +100

Liu Wubo Affection +100

Qin Yeqian Affection +100

Xuan Tie Affection +100

Gan Xinjian Affection +100

Millie Siverborn Affection +50

The group was rather impressed by this draw since it is a pill that is particularly valuable for those under Core Formation. This pill can help to restore external wounds, internal injuries, and regain qi at a rapid rate in between battles. It is much more valuable than qi burst pills. This reward is very useful in long protracted fights since using one of these pills in the middle of battle resets the tempo and thus brings forth a huge advantage to its user.

The Most Ancient One nods at the reward.

The Million Suns states that this is a useful item at least.

Envious stares could be found from the group as they looked at the small green pill. Only Millie seemed to be largely unconcerned and unimpressed by this reward, her eyes were focusing on the surroundings which have been largely hostile due to the numerous attacks by the demonic beasts. Liu Xun silently placed the pill away under the awkward gazes of the rest of the group as they continued their journey towards the basin.

It was only a short while since he drew something decent from the sign-in. His previous sign-in the day before in the snowy forest was a wooden rake that was completely useless besides entertaining the great ones. This netted him another 11 more system credits, which to be honest was not too bad.

--

Two days have already passed since the group entered this snow-covered forest. They are slowly inching closer towards their destination, the Yin Frost Basin. The forest itself surrounds the great tree which towers above the rest. The Great Mother Pine Tree is a native species of demonic plant which has long ceased to be an ordinary tree. It is large and immobile, yet radiated with strong ripples of qi energy that flushed the surroundings. This qi presence is rather gentle, unlike ferocious beasts as the mother tree peacefully basks in the sunlight. Unless an enemy attacks first or in a desperate situation, such calm and peaceful spiritual beings usually just remain neutral to all other presences. The white-pinkish leaves fluttered gently in the wind as the tree stood proud and tall, sheltering all life under its canopy.

The group of cultivators already had information of this peaceful presence, which was previously known to be a Peak Bone Tempering(Stage 4) Demonic Plant. Therefore, they just walked past this mighty presence while delivering a slight bow of respect. The giant tree, whose roots stretch far and wide across the forest remained still.

<<Welcome to all dear visitors.>>

A warm and mature womanly voice echoed across Liu Xun's ears. It had greatly surprised him that such a voice could be heard as the rest of the cultivators were also slightly panicked, looking around for the source.

<<Do not be alarmed. It is I, the Great Mother of Yin Pines.>>

The voice continued.

By now, everyone had realized that this was a thought transmission from the very giant tree they stood under. Looking upwards, the cultivators were awed by the overwhelming presence that washed upon them. Slight fear could be seen in each person's eyes. How could the group think of resisting a Middle Realm being, much more a Peak 4th Realm stage demonic plant? Confusion could be seen in the eyes of the group.

What could this great being desire from us? From the records, this Great Mother of Pines had always been neutral.

Liu Xun silently thought to himself as his mind raced for all the different possibilities. The great tree was so powerful that it could easily overpower the group with a single root. This was the vast difference in cultivation levels between the group, akin to a lion looking upon an ant.

<<Do not worry, faraway visitors. I mean no harm. I just want to warn you that there have been some changes in the direction of the lake. Even I am unable to tell what this change is. You all best take caution.>>

The transmitted voice continued to ring into everyone's ears.

By now, the cultivators were very nervous. Not because of the great tree, but rather its words. If the great tree is unable to detect the cause of these changes over the past few days, there is a much higher chance that something even more problematic is likely to occur. Doubts instantly befell the members as their eyes were clouded with indecision.

Is it really the right choice to advance? The group began to doubt upon themselves.

The Great Mother of Pines had already kindly warned them of the possible perils as well as a degree of danger. More and more doubts and objections were raised against advancing. By this point, only Senior Qin and Senior Gan were adamant about moving towards the Yin Frost Basin. Senior Xuan was largely against it, while Liu Five was rather on the fence about it. The juniors aren't entitled to give their opinion but most including Liu Xun felt pressured to retreat from such a journey.

Perhaps the seniors could still manage on their own if they proceed. However, if they had to bring along the pieces of baggage which were the qi gathering juniors, the outcome would become even more unpredictable.

--

"I say we should at least have a look. It is best to at least scout out the situation before making a preemptive judgment."

Senior Qin said with a doubtful voice filled with uncertainty.

"I agree with Lady Yeqian."

Senior Gan's words seek to support her argument, whilst showing his stand on the issue.

"Well, I disagree. Both of you have something to gain. But to the rest of us, the potential risk severely outweighs the benefits. Something that even the Great Mother of Pines cannot detect, we won't be able to manage. We can potentially lose our lives here!"

The large monk in black clothes stated out in anger. He seemed to be rather adamant against proceeding forth without any form of insurance. It is pretty much given considering he stands to gain the least out of the four seniors.

"As I have to consider the safety of my family juniors, I am inclined to side with Xuan Tie on this one."

Liu Five mentioned in a slightly disturbed tone. His primary goal is to train and protect the protege. Endangering the juniors just to achieve his secondary objective which was the corpse bead was basically placing the cart before the horse.

The mood of the group gradually soured as each of the seniors began to extol reason upon reason why to proceed or retreat. In the end, it took a solid 3 hours before the group managed to reach a decision. To be honest, this matter does not really involve the juniors since their opinions were irrelevant.

Langsheng was basically sitting on a tree root to whole time twiddling his arms. Ruoxue and Waner were talking with each other, discussing plans on how to react depending on various scenarios that they have considered. Liu Xun himself was just lying against the giant tree while meditating silently. To him, if there was time to rest, there was time to train. The silver-haired Millie was just resting by his side as she closed her eyes, light breathing sounds could be heard as she napped while lying on his shoulder.

This scene itself brought about chaos among the juniors. A faint red blush could be seen on Liu Xun's face. Ruoxue had a surprised face, while Waner was glaring at the two. Langsheng himself was burning with envy as he bit tightly on his handkerchief. Well, the scene itself was just one in the passing as the decision was soon made. After hours of debate, the consensus was to proceed forth at the behest of the two seniors. This was under the condition that more benefits were handed out to the others since they stood to gain less.

The day was almost over by the time the decision was made. Therefore, the group decided to rest the night under the giant ash pink pine tree. The night itself was vastly uneventful. The group just meditated in peace, preparing themselves for the arduous journey that would take place the very next day. It was unknown what perils await.

The seniors each have their own opinions with regard to the journey. The juniors were clearly hesitant about what is to come in the next few days. The silver-haired lady in white fur gazed into the distance wordlessly as she looked up into the night sky, her thoughts unspoken and unknown. Under the veil of the silent night, dissent and doubts began to fester about as a group with differing ideals and goals proceed towards a single destination, the Yin Frost Basin.

--

Scant light brightened the day as dawn was awaiting to arrive, yet figures could be seen marching forward. The cultivators had begun to move, step by step as they advanced forth.

Thud. Thud.

Each footstep brought the group closer, toward the edge of the forest. From that point on was a barren frozen wasteland, blanketed with thick snow and frost. No longer were there signs of plant life that could be detected from this point, not even barren trees grew at this point. There was nothing but cold hard rock and ice. Corpses could be seen littered on the desolate path, decorating this barren place with the most unpleasant of ornaments.

Gulp.

A nervous swallow could be heard as Langsheng wiped the sweat off his forehead. The path ahead looks far from pleasant. Especially for these new untrained junior cultivators, such a sight was demoralizing, to say the least. It was only a short day's worth of a journey from the White Yin Snow Forest to the Yin Frost Basin, yet what lies in between was this land known as the Frozen Land of Desolate Ice. A place where the strongest of sinister Yin energy lay deep, where no life could easily sprout. Even Liu Xun could feel the anxiety and chill seeping into his bones as he glared forward to the blanket of whiteness.

A hand could be felt on his shoulder as Liu Xun looked towards his side. He could see Senior Qin's outstretched hand from her long green sleeves. Eyes filled with certainty and reassurance, she gently look towards him as she diverted her attention to the rest of the group.

"Do not worry everyone, let us move forward carefully and explore the region. It would be great if we could achieve our goals, but even if we fail we can easily just retreat back."

She said with a strong voice emanating confidence and conviction as she took the initiative to take the first step forward. Slowly behind her back, the other seniors moved along. Then the juniors tagged along, gathering their courage as they moved forth into the land of death. The group thus took their first steps forward into the Frozen Land of Desolate Ice.

--

<<Travellers from afar, please stay safe.>>

A gentle voice drifted along as the fallen white pinkish leaves danced in the wind. The voice then faded into silence.

Fast forward. Fast forward.

 

 
7