Chapter 9: The First Duel
119 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stay at the sight of the portal until night comes, gaining insights into the nature of spirit as I do. Unfortunately, my duel tomorrow prevents me from staying longer.

I bow gratefully to Tai Qiu who acknowledges it with a nod, before returning to my room. 

The usual servant notices me, lighting the lantern in my room as I enter it. I thank her and she bows to me before leaving. 

Physical exhaustion fills me as I unbuckle my sword and lean it against the bed. My muscles ache from the two unexpected sword lessons and the usual martial arts practice the sect has us go through. That, combined with my lack of sleep from the previous night, means that I barely manage to disrobe and set my flute aside before falling into my bed and drifting off to sleep.

 

***

 

A knock on my door the next morning rouses me from my dreams. Sister Xia’s voice calls my name repeatedly, forcing me to stumble out of my bed.

“One moment.” I call blearily to her, slapping my cheeks in an effort to wake myself up.

My old robes were replaced with clean martial robes during the night. It takes me a moment to put them on, my mind still working slowly from lack of sleep. Finally, I wrap my sword around my waist.

Now that  I feel presentable enough, I open the door to reveal Sister Xia and Sister Lai waiting patiently. 

Sister Xia looks at me with worry before quickly trying to mask it with a smile.

The rest of the morning passes slowly as I worry about my upcoming duel with Long Bai. To my surprise, my exercise routine for the morning was lessened by the martial masters due to my duel. 

It is during breakfast that Chao Wan, the martial master who uses a simple sword, approaches the table that Jing Xia, Ming Lai and I sit at. 

“It is time for the duel between Jia Lin and Long Bai, please accompany me.” I bow my head to her in acknowledgement. Then I stand up to accompany her, leaving my half eaten bowl of rice at my table.

Master Chao Wan leads me to an open field, with a large circle of packed dirt in the middle. On one edge of that circle sits the outer disciple who had challenged me. His closed eyes open as I approach, his hand moving to rest comfortably on the sword at his waist.

To my surprise, quite a few inner and outer disciples form a small crowd around our match. I notice as Jing Xia and Ming Lai join that crowd. 

I blush slightly as I realize that so many people will be watching our match.

What if I lose? What if he easily outmatches me? 

What if he kills me?

I shake my head, trying to ignore those thoughts as I move to the opposite side of the circle from him. 

Master Chao Wan moves to the center of the circle, calmly looking over the whole crowd. 

“Outer disciple Long Bai of the alchemy pavilion has challenged inner disciple Jia Lin, wagering a life debt in exchange for the position of inner disciple.” The master says, her voice easily carrying over the crowd. “The rules for this duel are simple. The first one to draw blood wins. If one of you steps out of the ring, you forfeit the duel.” 

I close my eyes as she speaks, breathing in and out to calm myself from a rush of anxiety. 

“Jing Xia, are you ready?” Master Chao Wan asks.

I open my eyes, nodding to her. 

She turns to my opponent, “Long Bai, are you ready?” 

He nods as well. 

The Master steps out of the dirt circle. “You may begin.”

Long Bai immediately draws his sword and charges at me. Flame wraps his feet, giving him a burst of speed and allowing him to cover the distance in an instant.

My body freezes. I watch as he draws closer to me, his sword in an arc towards my neck. 

No thoughts flash through my head in that moment. I don’t regret anything, no memories fill my mind. Instead, my mind is strangely empty, only one thought passing through my head.

I will not die. 

Whispers Of The Silent Raven.

My sword slides from its sheath as I block his blow with one movement. I immediately realize that his blow will overpower mine, so I dance out of the way, using my sword to redirect his away from me.

He stumbles slightly from the change in momentum, nearly stepping outside of the circle. He turns to face me, a newfound wariness clear on his face. 

Softly, I start to sing, the song deep and dark, but still nearly inaudible. The ground around us turns the color of blood as the sound of steel on steel fills the air. The shimmering shapes of bodies lie on the ground. 

An outline of the surviving warrior stands next to me.

The First Requiem: The Field Of Blood

The surviving warrior raises his sword, and I follow his movement, my body switching stances into The Roars Of The Ruinous Dragon

The warrior strikes, and my sword follows, seeking Long Bai’s throat. 

Long Bai stumbles back, dodging my attack by a hair’s breadth. 

He looks scared for a moment, but flame quickly wraps around his feet again. He bursts forward towards me, flame briefly wrapping around his sword and increasing the speed of his strike. 

The surviving warrior casually steps to the side, and I easily dodge the swing. The boy looks at me in surprise, this time his momentum easily carrying him out of the ring as his sword buries itself into the ground from the power behind it. 

I stop my singing, my voice still sore from my use of the third requiem last night. 

Long Bai stares at his buried sword in shock. The burn marks from the flame around his sword scarring the wound in the earth black. 

“Jia Lin has won the duel, as witnessed by myself.” Master Chao Wan says casually. The surrounding disciples burst into conversation.

I blush as I realize that all of their attention is still on me. I sheathe my sword and gasp in surprise as Jing Xia grabs me, squeezing me to her. 

“That was so cool! I didn’t know you were so skilled with the sword! You defeated him in three moves!” I blush into Jing Xia’s robe at her excitement. 

It takes me a moment to realize that no one other than Long Bai and I could see the illusion I’d created.

“It was impressive, but Long Bai’s ineptitude is what people will see more than your skill.” Ming Lai says from somewhere, Sister Xia’s robe blocking my vision.

“Don’t take this moment away from her Senior Sister Lai!” Jing Xia says teasingly in my defence. 

After my blush has mostly disappeared, I push Sister Xia away from me. “Thanks. It was... a little terrifying.” I laugh a little in relief that I won. 

Jing Xia nods excitedly, before noticing the crowd around us. “Come on, let’s go back to our rooms.”

Ming Lai stares icely at the disciples approaching us and they quickly back off, letting us through back to our rooms. 

Both of the girls follow me into my room, and I feel grateful for their company as Jing Xia continues to talk animatedly about the duel. 

When there’s a pause in the conversation, Ming Lai reaches into her robe and hands me a bag of spirit stones. “These are some of my winnings from the match.” She says casually, handing them to me. I open the bag and stare it in awe, before handing it back.

“You’re the one that won these.” I say, part of me wanting to just keep them. But I know that it wouldn’t be right.

“Keep them. I have plenty saved up, plus I’ll soon have all the spirit stones I want.” Both Jing Xia and I stare at her curiously. 

Ming Lai looks down, “Elder Li Mei Wu has accepted me as a core disciple.”

“That’s amazing!” I say, Jing Xia echoing me with even more enthusiasm.

Ming Lai looks away from the both of us, a faint blush on her cheeks. She clears her throat before continuing. “Anyway, we should celebrate your victory. You haven’t been to the market yet, have you?”

I shake my head at her. “No, not yet.”

“Good. You’ll like the place we’re going to then.” Jing Xia says, clapping her hands together. 

I look between the two of them, then look down, grateful for the both of them.

A knock turns my attention to the door. 

“Come in.” I call, and a servant opens the door.

She bows to three of us. “A message from Long Bai of the Alchemy Pavilion.” She hands a fancy looking scroll to me. 

I take the scroll and unfurl it.

 

I, outer disciple Long Bai of the Alchemy Pavilion, owe you, inner disciple Jia Lin, a life debt. I apologize for underestimating your ability during our duel, next time I will treat you with the respect you deserve. If you ever need anything from me, come to the alchemy pavilion and I will do whatever you desire to the utmost of my ability. 

 

“What is the Alchemy Pavilion?” I ask both of them. I look up to see the both of them shocked. I blush, “I mean, I know what alchemy is, and I know what a pavilion is, but why is it attached to Long Bai’s name every time he is introduced?”

Ming Lai frowns, “I suppose it’s my fault that you are ignorant of such a thing. There are many pavilions in the sect, they exist as education and power centers for the outer disciples. The Alchemy Pavilion, the Crafting Pavilion, and the Martial Pavilion are the three with the most influence. When an outer disciple is accepted into a pavilion, it means that they have shown genius in that area. Long Bai is likely richer than you through his work in the Alchemy Pavilion.”

“I see.” I glance at the scroll in my hands before rolling it back up and placing it next to my bed. Changing the subject, I continue “I’m looking forward to seeing the market.”

Jing Xia smiles, taking my hands in hers as we stand up. “You’re going to love it. It’s quite the sight to see.”

We set out and they lead me to a path I hadn’t been on since we entered the sect. The energy around us slowly changes as we walk down the road and it fills with outer disciples excitedly going about their business. 

My eyes catch on the many Spirit Beasts following disciples around and held in cages at market stalls, some of the more exotic ones catching my eyes. 

Ming Lai spits in disgust at the spirit beasts trapped in cages. “Barbaric.” She says, loud enough for the merchant and those shopping to hear her.

They just bow after seeing her inner disciple robes, ignoring her insult.

She doesn’t pay any more attention to them as she continues walking. I speed up to keep up with her and Jing Xia.

“It’s as bad as slavery, those creatures aren’t mindless beasts.” Ming Lai says to the both of us, not looking at us. 

I look back at the cages, feeling bad for the creatures stuck inside them. 

I’m distracted again when my breath is taken away by the sight of an impressive building with soft music coming out of it. Two strong looking outer disciples stand guard, looking at jade bracelets before allowing people through.

“Welcome to the staple of any powerful force.” Ming Lai says, her frown from her earlier comment turning into a smile. “The Merchant House.”

7