Chapter 13: Cultivators Of Another Sect
103 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stare at the three cultivators with their blades drawn, a bead of sweat dripping down my back. But my hands do not shake. I have seen death, and I won’t fear it.

The lead cultivator raises his sword, and a dainty hand grabs the blade, stopping its movement. “Let’s not be too hasty now.” Ming Lai says, ice forming around her hand and traveling down the blade, holding it in place. 

Jing Xia also arrives beside me, her hands folded in front of her calmly as she stares at the other cultivators.

“I was willing to let my Junior Sister fight her own battles, but a three on one seems quite unfair to me, don’t you agree?” Ming Lai says, her voice colder than I’ve ever heard it.

The lead cultivator freezes in fear for a moment before his body recovers “She insulted me, and in doing so, insulted my sect.”

Jing Xia helpfully speaks up, “Didn’t you insult her first by claiming you were her ‘better’?” 

Ming Lai smiles, her expression holding no warmth. “Indeed, I seem to remember you saying that…. Does that also mean that you meant to insult The Flowing River sect?”

“Of-of course not.” The cultivator says through his teeth.

“Good.” Ming Lai says, her ice completely covering the blade of the lead cultivator. “That would be quite unfortunate.” 

Ming Lai twists her hand, and the blade shatters onto the ground.

“Still.” Ming Lai continues, “All three of you pulled a blade on my Junior Sister, I don’t think that should go without punishment, do you?”

“Senior,” The lead cultivator starts, a tinge of fear and forced respect in his voice, “She gave insult to us, how could I not respond?”

Ming Lai pauses, glancing at me. My sword is still lowered as I stand ready in front of the pickpocket. “Senior Sister Lai, he says the truth. I insulted him.” I say softly, an anger building up in me at the way that he suddenly turned respectful. “I believe that I called him a disgusting trash that dirties the earth he stands on…” I pause, having vented some of my anger, “or something along those lines.”

Jing Xia laughs, and Ming Lai warms slightly, some of her coldness disappearing. 

“I see” Ming Lai says, “then it is only right that they seek to save face by challenging you” Her gaze focuses on the youngest of the three who originally meant to take the pickpocket's life with his sword. “You, why don’t you face my Junior Sister in a duel. If you win, I will forgive your brothers for raising their weapons against her. If you lose… I will expect compensation.”

The youngest cultivator looks at their leader. The lead cultivator looks conflicted before giving a nod of his head. 

The youngest cultivator raises his sword towards me.

I bow to my opponent, remembering common courtesy. “I am Inner Disciple Jia Lin of The Flowing River sect.” 

“I am Core Disciple An Ma of the Roaring Beast sect.” my opponent says after a moment. 

Then he strikes at me, his blade moving quickly. 

I move backwards, dodging the strike. 

Softly, I start to sing.

My voice carries across the road, the people still watching able to hear me as if I were right beside them.

The world changes for my opponent and I.

The ground beneath us runs with blood. The screams of those killed and dying surround us.

The First Requiem: Field Of Blood.

My body naturally enters the first stance for The Roars of The Ruinous Dragon

My opponent takes a step back in fear.

I don’t let him run as my sword strikes, thirsting for blood.

He barely blocks the first strike, but a second soon follows, and a third. A dying man’s scream distracts him, and he falls, slipping on a patch of bloodied ground.

My sword goes for his throat.

Then I stop singing, and the illusion disappears.

A single bead of blood forms, pooling around the indent the tip of my sword makes in his neck.

“I still want an answer.” I say to him calmly, “Why do you take a life so easily?”

He gasps for air, fear in his eyes.

When I realize he isn’t going to respond, I pull my sword away, wiping the blood off on his robe out of petty anger. Then I sheathe the sword and turn away from him. 

Ming Lai, Jing Xia and the other cultivators stare at me, shocked.

“I won our duel.” I say to them.

Murmurs spread through the crowd of onlookers. I look at the pickpocket, who looks back at me in awe.

I blush as I realize how many people are watching us. The crowd had grown since this all began. Primal fear enters me as I catch the eyes of Elder Li Mei Wu standing next to an older man wearing the orange robes of the other cultivator’s sect.

Please let me leave the sect grounds again before I turn into a crone, I pray silently. My sisters and the other cultivators look to where I’m staring. 

MIng Lai and Jing Xia freezes, while the other three cultivators hurry to bow down in front of the orange robed older man.

Elder Li Mei Wu holds out her hand to the orange robed cultivator, her veil hiding her expression.

He grumbles “He just wasn’t ready.” before placing a large pouch in her hand. 

She calmly places the pouch into her robes before walking towards us. She doesn’t say anything as she motions for us to follow her.

Had- did- was she betting on our match? I stare at Li Mei Wu as she gives me a wink outside of the vision of my sisters.

I just stare at her, my view of the Elder shattering slightly.

After a moment, I hurry to follow them, glancing back to see the pickpocket somehow disappearing into the crowd. 

“It seems.” Elder Li Mei Wu starts as we return to the building we had originally landed in. “That the three of you have already broken my rules.”

Ming Lai looks down at the floor, while Jing Xia opens her mouth before closing it several times.

Elder Li Mei Wu stops, turning to the three of us. She observes us quietly as we all look away guiltily. 

“I do not blame you, Jia Lin, for saving that boy’s life.” The Elder says, her eyes on me. “It is good to see that you still care for the lives of others, even with the power you have gained.” She turns her attention to Jing Xia and Ming Lai, “Nor do I blame either of you, for protecting your Junior Sister when they drew their swords against her.”

She pauses again, watching as we all turn to look at her with hope in our eyes.

“However, you are very lucky that Jun Huang and I have known each other for many years, and that our relations with the Roaring Beast sect was not harmed. There will be punishments for your actions, no matter how righteous they may have been.”

With that said, she turns away from us and leaves.

We didn’t speak for a minute after she left.

Finally, Jing Xia said, “That went better than I thought it would.”

Ming Lai puts her head in her hands. “I won’t ever be allowed outside of the sect again.” she moans.

“She bet on our duel.” I say to the others, still shocked.

Both the girls turn to look at me.

I giggle.

Both the other girls join in and we start laughing.

“You were so cool, Senior Sister Lai.” I say after a moment. 

Jing Xia nods emphatically. “When you shattered his blade, I thought he would wet himself!”

Ming Lai blushes, “I was just angry.” She says quietly.

“I thought the coolest moment was when you stopped his sword with your bare hand.” I add, smiling at her embarrassment. 

“And when you asked him if he insulted our sect!” Jing Xia continues excitedly, “The look on his face was priceless.”

 

***

The rest of our trip to the city is uneventful with Elder Li Mei Wu keeping an even closer eye on us. She has us repent by making us do all of the menial chores for her. We cook food for her (something it turns out I’m terrible at), clean her clothes, warm the water for her bath. She especially likes me to play the flute for her, saying that it has a calming effect. I try not to create any illusions with the music, thinking it might be best to let the music work on its own.

After three days, we return to the sect with Elder Li Mei Wu. The flight is just as exhilarating as it was last time and over too soon for my liking.

The other girls start to walk off but Li Mei Wu calls out, “Disciple Lin, if you would stay for a moment, I wish to discuss something.”

I look into her eyes, trying to guess what she wants. Her veil hides most of her expression and her eyes don’t give anything away.

The other girls look at me briefly before walking away.

The Elder watches them as they walk away, waiting until they are out of sight before speaking to me. “You are young, and much is forgivable.” she starts, “But you must be aware that every action of yours has a consequence. Although they are young, each one of those boys will grow to be powerhouses in their sect. None of them will treat you kindly when they see you next.” She stops speaking, her eyes watching me closely as she waits for some kind of response.

“I acted before thinking, Elder.” I say, lowering my head.

“Would you do the same thing if offered the choice again?” She asks, our flying ride shrinking back into her hairpin. She puts the hairpin into her hair as she waits for my answer.

“Yes.” I say after a moment of thought.

“Good.” She says, her eyes wrinkling as she smiles beneath the veil. “One must not let horrors happen simply because of what consequences may come. You may leave, Jia Lin.”

I bow to her, thankful for her wisdom.

As I turn away she speaks, “One more thing.” I turn back to look at her. “If Tai Qiu is unable to take her position as Elder and make you a Core Disciple, know that you will always have a position at my side.”

I bow again, recognizing the power of the offer she gives me. Then I leave, caught in my thoughts as I wander down the road.

6