2 l Repairing the Damage
89 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Repairing the Damage

   
  • Sponsor: Sky Harbor City Council
  • Location: Sky Harbor
  • Prerequisites: n/a
  • Assist with repairing Sky Harbor
  • Rescue any survivors that you find

That earthquake... so many buildings collapsed!

We need the clear the rubble... that was my favorite pizzeria... but it's gone now.. :c

I hope that everyone is safe...

 

Tristan stared at the list of quests available for the adventurers. Her butterfly, Fee, had floated happily over to this particular quest before zipping up and down. 

“I suppose I should focus on my strengths rather than doing something I don’t have much strength in.” 

In that moment Fee seemed to scan the entire board—it was a peculiar scene as Tristan watched her butterfly absorb the information, and then she floated over to her. Fee popped up a status window before the young artificier who widened her eyes. 

The blonde had been startled, obviously this was not normal in her previous experience... in a world she was slowly forgetting about. She shook her head. 

She decided to watch the pop up window, seeing the list of quests grow. The only quest highlighted in the listing had been this one. The Repairing the Damage quest from the Sky Harbor City Council. 

“Fee, should we head back to the main thoroughfares and find these damaged buildings? There might be some people in trouble too.” 

Fee seemed to agree, fluttering all around her head before landing neatly upon her shoulder. 

“Alright, let’s get going!” Tristan walked out at a brisk speed from the guild hall. After all she didn’t quite know if rules regarding running inside an official government building would be allowed.

She ran down one street, heading to the same streets she first worked upon. 

“Tristan!” She looked up to one of the building’s roofs to see Frisko with his carpenter’s apron. He waved his hammer side to side in a wave. “I see you got your butterfly! Come on, we have some more roofs we can repair before heading over to the next street.” 

She nodded, looking to the ladder leaned up against the side of the building. This building had been the blacksmith’s shop, where the owner had yet to arrive. They hoped to repair it before the owner could see the damage. 

She ambled her way up before seeing the planks of wood and bucket of nails and a spare hammer for her to use. There were several other holes that Frisko had yet to start—so she opted on those. 

Thirty minutes later they had the four holes patched up—at least this would prevent the elements from getting inside. 

“Hey, do you see that over there?” Frisko tapped her shoulder, pointing off in the direction of another area. “That looks like something’s glittering in the rubble of that building?” 

Tristan narrowed her eyes, training upon the shiny object that seemed to come and go. It was as if something was moving it to reflect light off of. 

“Frixio... that might be someone in danger...” Tristan remembered the quest, widening her eyes wondering if perhaps this was a person in need of rescuing. “I’m heading over!” She ran to the edge of the roof where the ladder was placed, and slid down by hold only the sides. Her gloves took the brunt of the splinters, as she tried to find the best route over. 

Her companion had been on her heels, sliding down at the same fast drop. He pulled her toward the alley. “Come on! This way is the quickest way over!” 

She followed him happily, glad that someone was well versed in this town of Sky Harbor. They had to jump over a small brick wall between a few buildings—and ducked under a broken wall going into the next area. When they arrived at the street in question, Tristan could see the damage here had been a bit more pronounced. 

Half of the building had collapsed. The foundation looked alright from their position, but it appeared to have collapsed inward. She could see a sign, broken, written with some letters still legible. 

[IMENTS]

A reflection of light caught her eye once more, as a small piece of broken glass shakily moved. 

“Tristan, help me with this rubble!” 

She nodded, running over to grab pieces of rubble she could safely move. It had been a slow process, trying to not cause more damage or cause the structure to collapse further. As they moved, a few coughs could be heard. 

“Hang on, we’re almost there.” Tristan called out to the mysterious individual. 

Frixio removed large pieces of wood and a few of the remaining rubble before they saw two people covered in wounds, dirt, and sweat. 

“Thank the gods!” 

“It all collapsed all at once...” The woman muttered weakly. She was lying down, stretched to what had been a small hole. Her hand had been cut as she clenched the broken glass in between her fingers. 

Frixio noticed that the one who hadn’t been sprawled out has his leg pinned under one of the support beams. He gestured for Tristan to help him lift it. “On the count of three.” 

“One—two—three!” The pair grunted, lifting up the support beam as best they could. The man slowly scrambled his way out. 

The result of his injuries? His leg was positively broken. The pair dropped the beam, seeing that he was free. 

The woman gasped, but Tristan wiggled her fingers. She knew she had magic from her previous life... but would that have come with her? 

There was only one way to find out. She reached out to the man, thinking hard on the feeling of the magic she once held before. Her sister had been a cleric, and as such, she had thought Tristan how to provide first aide in case she wasn’t around. 

[Cure Wounds]

She thought to herself, and the magic flowed through her fingers. She gasped, happy that something from her last life did indeed stay with her. She could remember the sweet disposition of her sister’s love as she let the magic come through. 

Slowly the man’s leg mended, going from broken to heavily bruised. She wasn’t proficient with the healing magic, but hoped this would allow them a chance to walk. 

“Oh, thank you! Thank you miss!” The man looked to his leg, and back to her. His eyes brimmed with tears. 

Frixio whistled, before looking to the woman. “Can you stand? Was there anyone else in the building?” 

She shook her head. “No, it was only my husband and I. We were about to open our shop when...” The woman choked back sobs as her husband went to comfort her. She knew she only had one more opportunity to heal that evening, so she opted to rip off some of her cotton tunic at the bottom to wrap up the woman’s hands.

With their first aid complete, they now had quite the task.  Tristan looked to the shop and the other buildings beside it that had collapsed in the aftermath... of whatever had done it. She gauged the area, seeing if there might be others in need of rescuing. As of that moment, she didn’t see anyone from her position. 

Frixio knelt, offering the rescued pair his water canteen from his side pouch. 

“I guess we’ll be working all night.” She rolled up her sleeves once more, as they had fallen down to her wrists after their minor heft of the beam. “You ready Frixio?” 

He nodded, looking at the street in question. There were others that filtered in as well, some looked like medics, some were adventurers, some were people trying to help clear out the rubble. Actively they worked, knowing that there was probably more streets and avenues that suffered the same fate. 

“Let’s just do what we can.” Tristan slapped her cheeks, and helped with any more rescues and clearing out of the rubble. 

The blonde artificier had cleared a plot off the side of the road—wanting a place to put any reusable materials such as long pieces of wood and metal infrastructures. She instructed those who were helping in the relief efforts in that area to put anything of use there. This would also give them a clear view of what needed to be done to fix up the buildings that were damaged. 

The other things that couldn’t be used were put in a separate pile, on another empty plot to siphon and dispose of properly. Tristan made a note to possibly ask the Adventurer’s Guild to create a custom quest to dispose of the trash and clear out the useless rubble. 

Organizing the rubble had been the easy part—it was the rescues within the other buildings that proved challenging. There were at least four more individuals trapped in tight spaces, having only certain parts of the building keeping them safe. The operation of rubble collecting stopped immediately as soon as a potential person had been found. 

Many people, all of whom Tristan noticed were diverse, came to help. And together they worked on getting those people free. 

By the time morning came, Tristan sat on a log. Her back had been to the growing pile of stuff to be refurbished. Fee had been floating around her, before bopping her nose to pop the status screen open. 

On it, the screen read: “Quest Report”

Tristan quirked her head, she was tired from all the work they did to safely secure the area. 

Fee flew around her status screen once more, and the girl got the strange sense that she needed to interact with her status screen to make the report.

“Alright… let’s do this…” She poked it, causing a keyboard of individual letters to appear. “Awesome! This magic is pretty cool!” 

Tristan left the night off with this quest report:

Announcement
 Summary:

  • After accepting her quest, Tristan made her way back to the main thoroughfare to help the few carpenters helping make the repairs on the buildings. 
  • Frixio, one of the few carpenters who told her about the adventurer’s guild, had been fixing one of the roof’s to the blacksmith’s shop. 
  • Tristan climbed up, helping repair the four other holes that needed to be done, when Frixio drew her attention to another area in the distance. There was a sparkling light that kept coming and going.
  • Tristan remembered the quest, and assumed it might be someone in trouble. She slid off the via the ladder and tried to make her way over. Frixio shortly joined her, showing her some quick routes through the alleys. 
  • When they came to the collapsed building, she and Frixio found themselves pulling rubble aside. After a few more moments of pulling, they discovered a man and woman. They were both injured. Tristan hoped her magic from her previous life would work in this realm, and did her best to heal the man’s broken leg. Her Cure Wounds’ spell worked, mending the bone. She knew the limits of her magic, and decided to give first aid to the woman by wrapping her hands.
  • They continued to clean and organize the rubble, finding 4 more people in their efforts.
  • Tristan made sure to note a possible custom quest for further clean up and disposal of all useless materials deemed unsalvagable.

6