[Chapter 1] – A Second Chance
106 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I open my eyes and I’m blinded by another bright light, focusing my eyes I realize that I’m in a completely different place than I was before. It takes me a few seconds to focus my eyes and take in my surroundings, I then realize that I’m in an extremely gaudy room that screams rich or upper class and the room is filled with four people. There are three women and one guy, the man is dressed really nice in a suit and tie, he has a stern-looking gaze but he gives off a reliable tone. I didn’t detect any ill will from him but he looks to be relatively fit and not too old, he’s maybe in his late-thirties but he’s still got a full head of dark brown hair and a cool-looking mustache. He also seems to be smoking out of some kind of old fashion tobacco pipe. 

The first women I noticed seemed to be holding what looked like a wet towel, which is definitely common to see for childbirth. She is in a maids outfits and is acting very proper, she has short blonde hair and is honestly quite the looker. The second woman I noticed is laying in a luxurious bed that looks to be plated with gold, she has disheveled long blonde hair and looks to be exhausted. She looks to be in her later twenties and is also quite beautiful. currently, I’m being lifted up by the last woman that also looks to be in a maids outfit, she looks younger than the rest in the room, she’s probably in her later teens. she also has pretty red hair that’s put into a ponytail. it’s strange because this woman is holding me with little to no effort and seems to be checking my body for something. 

That’s when I realized how small I actually was. I take a second to look at myself and see that my body has changed to that of an infant. I wanted to scream some words of surprise out but the only noises that came out were baby noises.

“-------" 

“Madam It seems the Delivery was successful. It’s a beautiful baby boy.”

This can’t be true right, I know Ephrit said he would reincarnate me but I didn’t think I would be born as a baby. I just assumed I’d be teleported as I was. But I guess that’s just one of the things he didn’t bother to tell me. I was then gently put into the exhausted women’s arms; I assume she’s my new mother.

“Oh my, he’s beautiful. What shall we call him Jimothy?”

“He’s a man, he should have a Proper man’s name. I think we should call him Sebastian. What do you think Roberta?”

So, my parents’ names are Jimothy and Roberta I’m curious about what kind of family I’ve been born into. They seem pretty well off just from the décor in the room and the clothes that my father is wearing. I wonder what time period this world is in, so far I don’t see anything that’s electrical. No lights or outlets, and it looks like their using candles and the sun shining in through the window for light. 

“That sounds like a lovely name. I like the name Sebastian. His name shall be Sebastian.”

It seems I already have my new name. Sebastian huh, I don’t mind I actually like the sound of that. I wonder how I can give them my approval without freaking them out. Oh, I got it ill just make some happy noises that probably won’t sound too weird, and if it does they might just think I’m advanced for my age. I then begin to try laughing but the only noise that came out were those you’d hear any ordinary baby make. 

“----------”

I guess my vocal cords haven’t grown enough yet. Honestly, I have no idea why I can’t talk or make the noises I want but I guess I’m going to have to wait till I’m a little older to start talking. At least I can understand what my new parents are saying. I’ll have to thank Ephrit when I see him again. Though I am curious what this language is called. It sounds similar to English but has like French or maybe German mixed into it. It honestly sounds pretty interesting. 

“Would you like to hold him Jimothy?”

The man called Jimothy nods and I’m lifted up and put into his arms. He’s then started holding me like some lion from a movie I once watched; I found it pretty funny.

“You my son are going to be the heir to the great Slyhost Household I expect great things from you.”

It seems he has a lot of expectations from me. I’d hate to disappoint any of my new relatives so I’ll do my best.

 

 

 9 months later

273 days have passed since I was born, I can now walk although clumsily. I’ve learned many things since I was born, like how they calculate the year with days instead of months. I guess they don’t have months here. According to the Carthya Calendar, I was born on the 28th day of the year 12,567. It seems years pass the same here as they do on earth having 365 days. That makes the transition to Carthya a little easier.

From what I could learn so far it seems I’m a Noble living in the city of Slyhost. From what I heard from my parents, Slyhost is located in the Human nation of Archrule and is the capital of the Mihia Province. I also learned that all nobles in Archrule have their last name as the province or land they are nobles of. In Archrule there are seven noble titles: King, Prince, Duke, Marquess, Earl, Viscount, and Baron. According to that logic, it seems my father is the Earl of Slyhost which means he is the direct ruler of the city. Above him is the Marquess of Mihia, He is the ruler of the province Slyhost resides in, and because Slyhost is the capital of Mihia the Marquess also resides in the city. I have met him a couple of times and it seems he dislikes the Slyhost family because my father is generous to the under-class. He also had a really noble-like attitude about him, like he was better than everybody else, it really pissed me off.

Although I am not able to talk yet that does not stop me from wanting to learn more about the world I have been reincarnated into. Since Ephrit gave me the ability to understand this countries language which I now know is called Human Tongue I should be able to use my family's private library to read some books and learn more about this world. Honestly, the name Human Tongue sounds pretty boring but I guess they like to keep things simple here.

 

2 years later

I am now two years old and I am now able to fully speak, but ever since I’ve learned how to speak I’ve been getting really suspicious glares pointed my way; I wonder why? Now that I’m two years old my parents are now allowing me to visit their private library inside our castle due to my constant begging, you heard me right we live in a castle. Unfortunately, I have to be accompanied by my maid wherever I go. Yes, I have been given my own maid, it may sound cool but it’s kind of awkward because she’s always following me and doing her best to try to please a two-year-old. Honestly, it’s kinda weird she treats me like an adult or at least with a lot of respect, she’s the only one out of all the maids that we have that treats me this way. My parents gave me a maid because from what I can gather they're always working and I guess they don’t have too much time to watch me, so a maid was the best option. The maid's name is Scarlett and she was one of the women who was there during my birth, the redhead. I’m not complaining too much because she is pretty beautiful and I just recently learned that she is Half-dark Elf, although now that I look at her ears they do have a sort of point to them. She’s not too bad though she does listen to me when I give her direct orders; sometimes. But ever since I’ve started visiting the library to read the books she’s been giving me odd looks. I assume it’s because she’s just confused why a two-year-old would have such an interest in books, but I can’t say for sure.

           Since I’ve started going to the library I’ve learned that the Kingdom of Archrule is very similar to the way England was back in the medieval era. Like for example the architecture of the castle and the way people speak all remind me of England. I’ve also been able to estimate what time period this world is currently in based on the technology they possess here. I can estimate that this nation is at least in the twelfth century. Not to brag or anything but I was what one would call a history buff in high school.

Although there is one book I want to start reading, I’m going to need Scarlett to keep it a secret since I won’t be able to ditch her to read it somewhere where I’m alone. I tried ditching her once but from what I can guess she is a very skilled tracker because I can never seem to lose her. She also must be some kind of combat maid hired to protect the family, I say this because I once saw that she carries daggers under her skirt, don’t ask how I know.

While I’m pondering these thoughts, I’m currently getting dressed and getting ready inside my room. The room I was given is quite big and looks really nice, it has a big window to let sunlight in, a full-body mirror and the bed they gave me is unbelievably huge, at least for the size my body is now. This is honestly the only place in the whole castle where I can be alone, at least until the maids come to clean and tidy my room. My personal maid Scarlett usually just waits for me outside when I’m getting ready because I told her I could do it myself when I was finally able to talk.

           After I finished getting ready I open the door to see Scarlett waiting for me with a big smile.

“Good morning young master, did you want to go to the library today?”

“What did I tell you about calling me, young master! And yes could you please accompany me.” I grumbled.

“As you wish Young Master,” Scarlett says with a maidly bow.

Jeez she really doesn’t listen does she? I understand why she calls me young master but it still really bothers me, I guess I’m just not used to it yet. Anyway, it’s time to get started on my new objective. I want to learn magic and I don’t want my parents knowing because I imagine they would try to stop me or they might take my library privileges away.

As me and Scarlett are walking toward the library I slow down my already slow pace and turn around to meet her gaze.

“Is there something you need young master?”

“Um… yes, actually would you be able to keep a secret from my parents for me?”

“Of course, what would you like to tell me?”

She bends down to get closer to my face and looks at me with an open expression.

“I want to start practicing magic, but I wanted to keep it a secret from my parents. Could you do that for me?”

I tried to say it in the most kid voice I could to see if I could appeal to her emotions. At first, she looked at me with confusion in her eyes, and then she chuckled. I wonder what’s so funny.

“Of course, I can keep this a secret but how do you plan on learning magic in the first place. You know it’s a very difficult art to learn and master right?”

I can understand her doubts since I’m only two but I really need to learn magic if I want to someday free Ephrit. But I’ll only do it if he is the person he claims to be.

“I plan on using a book from the library that teaches basic magic it’s the only book we have that teaches magic. I found it in the library the other day; would it be okay if you checked it out for me so I don’t damage the library while practicing.”

She’s trying to hold in her laughter. Whatever as long as she gets me the book I don’t care what she’s thinking.

“Ok I will get it for you, just don’t damage it okay, and meet me in the courtyard.”

She’s still trying to hold in her laughter. I can still tell you know even if your hand is covering your mouth! it’s honestly kinda getting on my nerves. Scarlett then goes ahead of me and starts walking towards the library. I guess I’ll meet her in the courtyard. It’s not a bad place and no one really goes there because everyone is always working so it’s kind of a deserted spot at this time of day. At least she’s not trying to blow me off completely.

Jimothy Slyhost Appearance

0