4: Giant Worm
33 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Oh my god... How long is this gonna take?" Kairo was complaining. It had been weeks after he met Onigashira and he got used to his giant demeanor by then. 

We're already nearing Sky Harbor. We're just a few kilometers south and we'll finally reach our destination! Can't the guy hold it longer! 

Onigashira slept on the ground regaining the energy he lost during his travels. He was out of his domain and was alert for every monster that would come out now and then. Kaira also noticed the hostility of the land below Balan Island. This place is much more dangerous... I remember when Onigashira said that when he journeys out of the forest he would always be alert. What kind of monster would make this bug guy wary. 

Due to this, he wanted to reach Sky Island as soon as possible. The chances of meeting an enemy were high according to Onigashira. 

"I should have brought a weapon!" Kairo thought that the exploration would be simple and no enemies would find themselves in the area. My stupidity costed my safety! I should have landed at Balam City where I could get some weapons. 

Even though Onigashira was welcoming Kairo was still skeptical of Onigashira. During his travels with Onigashira, he had witnessed many things. giant worms and beasts were simply taken down by Onigashira. He thought that he might be next on the monster's meal.

[You can stop rambling now, We should go...]

[What do you mean?] Kairo got used to Onigashira communicating with his mind. 

[I sense big vibrations... A monster is here!]

[Wha- What do we do?!]

[Just run but don't leave me behind. Go watch in the distance!]

He steered Little Gun away from Onigashira. He came to a higher altitude observing Onigashira.

On the other hand, the monster had neared itself to Onigashira. It was a slender worm with a length of 500m. It had a height of 320m just half of Onigashira's size. It had pairs of seven legs and had sharp claws in each leg. Its appendages had sharp setae linings that could stab any giant with ease. The setae linings had holes in which they could suck flesh and blood. Its spine had sharp horns that could pierce the flesh of a giant. Its eyes were pitch black and if you look longer it would feel like being sucked through a black hole. 

Onigashira's mouth was steaming. Then a deafening roar ran around the area. Kairo looked at Onigashira's eyes and it was scarlet red. 

He showed his teeth towards the worm monster. Both monsters were startled and looked at their enemies as threats.

"Did Onigashira perhaps entered a state predation?" Onigashira had looks that could kill any moment who sees it. The giant worm straightened its tentacles. It was aimed at Onigashira's face.

"ROAR!"

Onigashira charged at the giant worm. He bit the head of the worm. Vigorously shaking it so that it would slow down. 

The worm wiggled hard so that it could escape the grasp of Onigashira. It used its sharp tentacles to pierce the neck of Onigashira. However, the shells were able to withstand their attacks. Even then, his neck shell was already damaged and another strike would mean hitting his flesh. 

Onigashira backed down and took massive breaths. On the ground, many small animals fleed from the area. Trees were toppled due to the heavy weight of the worm and Onigashira. 

Kairo who was spectating the fight had his mouth drop. He had never seen a fight of this scale as such he took out his book. 

He picked up his graphite pencil and sketched the enemy monster. Truly a strange creature! I have never seen this before! It would be good if I draw it just like my grandfather!

Kairo recorded the fight as if he was writing a story. The details and behavior of the worm whom he wrote in the book. 

The worm was staying still. Watching Onigashira as he is regaining his energy to charge once again. It watched him clearly until Onigashira suddenly dropped down. The worm looked fierce and was ready to attack. 

Onigashira was biting the air as if there was an invisible enemy. He moved his legs repeatedly until he finally had a grasp. He stood up attacking randomly in the air. 

Kaito was confused, the worm was not attacking but Onigashira's behavior said otherwise. What the hell? Is the big guy having a hallucination? There is no way for a reasonable guy like him to act like that. Even in his predatory state. Is it because of the worm?

Kairo tried to distract the worm by using the headlight to his. The worm was annoyed and looked in the direction of the light. It intensely gazed at Kairo and led its focus astray. What does this guy do?

Suddenly in his eyes, there was a massive boulder coming towards him. It struck his boat and Kairo retreated to the other side of Little Gun. He tripped on a rope and almost fell to the ground.

He managed to hold one of his hands to the ledge of the boat. 

"Oh my god! Thank the gods!" He was just lucky but he was having a hard time. He could not climb up and thought that the boat would fall. 

In reality, though there was no boulder. It was the worm illusioned Kairo into thinking there was a homing boulder.

"That's it his powers rely on hallucinations!"

Kairo's hands were now able to grab the ledge. Little Gun however was slowly capsizing. In a stroke of luck, he managed to climb inside Little Gun before it fully capsized. It's good that I never looked down...

Kairo had to calm himself for a while. 

Then another roar was heard through the area. It was louder than before.

Kairo looked down and saw Onigashira finally wounding the neck of the giant worm. The worm trembled in pain and vigorously wiggled. Onigashira's bite dug further into its flesh until slowly it died.

The struggle was no more and the giant worm had expended its energy. Onigashira consumed the worm to the bone until there was no flesh left. Onigashira slept on the ground as the fight had also exhausted him further. 

Kairo on the other hand witnessed almost everything in the fight. He recorded everything in his book and headed to Sky Harbor where he could at least take a rest and meet back with Onigashira.

He started the engines propelled Little Gun to report his findings. 

" Wow what a worm... I should leave the big guy behind and return..."

What should I call that giant worm? Hmm, it was capable of giving illusions to its enemies. Ah! Maybe Hallucigenia is a good name! 

All right! That monster's name would be the Giant Hallucigenia!

2