Chapter 1: Prologue
617 5 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Humans have lived under the presence and influence of supreme beings for thousands of years, worshipping them and giving offerings. Surpassing humans in every aspect, they had the right to be deemed gods. Humans believed them to be benevolent and wise celestial beings. For millennia, humans embraced this belief that their existence revolved around the well-being of the ‘gods’. Then, one day, their gods disappeared altogether. Fortunately for the human race, they soon discovered the lifestyle they had followed was all in vain and held no meaning behind it. The day the gods disappeared, or what most call the Great Exodus, was then recorded as a catalyst for great independence for mankind.
 
 
For thousands of years, what they called the divine powers of the supreme beings or the divinity of a ‘god’, was in all actuality magia or magic in the present day. Under the immense power of what they believed was the innate divinity of the ‘gods’, humans were obliged to do their bidding.  Therefore, humans became slaves to this so-called divinity for countless years, a belief that this power is gifted to the ones responsible for creating the world they’re living in and their offspring.
 
 
With the existence of ‘gods’, there’s an existence that resides in the underworld— the existence they call ‘demons’. Another supreme race on the other side of the coin. Humanity’s greatest threat— demons, a race that is destruction and wickedness incarnate, a race that embodies abomination itself, a race that seeks nothing else but to see the end of the world— an eternal enemy of humanity.
 
 
Because of that, a war sparked between all the races around the world.
 
 
Amidst the war, a young boy was traversing the underground cave with his mother, holding her hand. The two were easily navigating through the darkness as if their eyes could pierce through it. As they were maneuvering through the cave, they stumbled upon something that seemed out of place for the dark, morbid environment they were stuck in. Their discovery was a beam of light emitting from an unknown source.
 
 
The boy and his mother followed the light in hopes to find its source. Upon reaching there, their eyes fell upon some abandoned ruins. The two entered the gate of the ruins. When they entered the gate, the radiant light shone brighter. The brilliant radiance of the light had the potential to incinerate and destroy any onlooker, but as for the two travellers, they entered through the place just fine with no problem whatsoever.
 
 
After crossing thousands of miles just to get to this location, they finally reached the Hall of the Wise, then halted at the golden throne in the center. The throne which undoubtedly outshines the sun, the throne which can win over the hearts of the people, the throne which can rule over all— the throne befitting of a monarch.
 
 
The mother touched the crystal that gleamed and guided them here to this place. Upon a single touch, the ruins reacted. The ruins started trembling and a beacon of light shot upwards. After coming in contact with the crystal, the mother went over to her son caressing his face as tears started pouring out of her beautiful black irises. When looking into her eyes, the son saw a pair of eyes that showed signs of a fragile life slowly being drained of. 
 
 
As tears fell from her face, she kissed her child’s forehead as she recited these words to him. “Be free, my son. I want you to live your life to the fullest with no worries and adversity. Even though I may not be here with you in person, remember my love for you is eternal. No matter how vast the universe might be, I vow there will be a way for us to meet again.”
 
 
With her trembling hands holding his, she could not hold up for very long with all the guilt built up inside her body. The mother can’t help herself but hold her child into her embrace while weeping in misery, for that her son devoid lifeless heterochromic eyes were staring into her eyes, his left eye resembles his mother’s jet-black eye as for his right eye it was a twinkling silver eye.
 
 
“It pains me for you to see me in a condition like this. However, this is the only feasible way for it to happen. I pray when the time comes, you will be able to bring yourself to forgive me. Remember that I will always love you, my son.”
 
 
Space intertwined with reality, creating an irregular atmospheric motion orbiting around them. At that very moment, the mother’s body started fading into oblivion. As the emotionless boy watched his mother’s existence gradually fading, tears started pouring out unwillingly.
 
 
Upon seeing this, a guilty smile grew on the mother’s face. She started wiping the tears off of his face while warmly looking at him. 
 
 
“Farewell.”
 
 
That was the last word she uttered before she vanished.
 
 
The ruins and the throne disappeared along with his mother. Whoever was responsible for all of this did not show mercy to a single speck of dust. Then, his necklace started emitting light, and a circle of unknown power surged below him with lines, unknown symbols, and geometric patterns transcribed in it. The white light enveloped his entire body, making him vanish.
 
 
Afterward, he started opening his eyes. What he saw was a council that’s composed of 12 elders. He started checking his surroundings as he stood below them in the center. The group of councillors was looking at him with pity and grief in their eyes.
 
 
“He’s her son, right?”
 
 
“Yeah, the necklace hanging around his neck and those heterochromic eyes speak for themselves.”
 
 
“What are we going to do with him?”
 
 
“He needs someone who can look after him.”
 
 
“I cannot and will not do it. I already have problems within my own family, adding one more person will not do either party any good.”
 
 
“You five... Can’t you guys display more empathy and reconsider your decisions for the young boy? He is all alone. We are the ones responsible with the task to look after him to pay respect and show our gratitude for his mother. Yet, you’re here treating him like some sort of disposable object.”
 
 
“Hahaha… you guys never fail to fascinate me on any occasion.”
 
 
“Isn’t that too harsh? What if we just let the boy decide for himself? That’s more efficient.”
 
 
“Are you an idiot? He looks like he’s well on his way to becoming an empty shell of a person. Stop being nonsensical.”
 
 
“That's why we are the ones responsible for taking care of him. He's still the son of Her Grace.”
 
 
“How about this? Out of the 12 councillors that are present here today, is anyone willing to take care of this boy?” 
 
 
Then a white-haired old man with his face full of wrinkles wearing a nice white cloth covering his whole body, standing up with the support of his long staff. After standing with a dignified presence that stood out in every single corner of the room, the elderly guy smiled while looking at his fellow council members.
 
 
“I’ll take care of this kid. He seems to be a fun young little one and would seem easy for my daughter to handle.”
 
 
“Fellow council Otus, are you sure about that?”
 
 
“Hahaha! Why wouldn’t I be!? Instead of joining you guys in your plans to supposedly reform the world, I’d rather take care of this young little one. Hahaha...”
 
 
“You’re sure about not joining us, huh? Haaa... Alright!”
 
 
“Who objects to the decision made by Lord Otus?!”
 
 
None of the people in the room neither raised their hands nor objected; all the councillors stayed silent. Because of this, the man whose name was Otus grinned upon seeing this. He jumped from the balcony, landing near the young boy, then he put the boy on his shoulder and walked out.
 
 
“I shall go, and my lovely daughter is waiting for me at home. Good luck with the reforming world thing. We shall meet someday again.”
 
 
The old man started chanting words rooting from a language unfamiliar to the boy, 
 
 
“...τηλεμεταφορά”
 
 
Afterwards, the old man vanished along with the boy on his shoulder. Leaving the council in the room, an elderly woman with a black fleece poncho around her neck with a red bird logo design embedded in the center was gazing at them from afar.
 
 
“Otus... Shwartz... Don’t be too hard on yourself... It was already predetermined when she decided that... You’ve got nothing to do with it...”
 
 
Meanwhile, in a mansion...
 
 
A beautiful young lady who’s in her mid-20s was cutting plants on a table. Then a surge of light appeared out of nowhere near her. The elder guy with the young boy on his shoulder emerged from the light. When the young lady saw this, her face bloomed with joy, with her mouth arching upward.
 
 
“Oh, Father! I’m so glad that you are well and safe!”
 
 
Otus’ face bloomed with a smile in response to seeing her daughter greeting him in a welcome manner. He then put the boy on his shoulder. The young boy looked at the old guy who took him and carried him like a sack of rice with a puzzled expression. Then, the young lady saw her father being accompanied by a child. With her curiosity piquing, she walked towards the boy.
 
 
“Is he...?”
 
 
Instead of answering, Otus’s face saddened when heard his daughter's question. Upon seeing her father’s expression, her face became gloomy, and started stroking the boy’s hair like what her mother did earlier before disappearing.
 
 
“What are your plans with him, Father?”
 
 
“None, as per his mother’s request. We’ll take care of him, treat him. We’ll welcome him to the family as my grandson and your son. He needs a mother’s love now that he's left alone without his own mother. It’s better if we foster him as if he were our own, that way, none of those imbeciles from the council will try to take advantage of him.”
 
 
While gently stroking the boy’s hair, the young lady took the child in her arms with a smile on her face. He looked back at her with his lifeless eyes.
 
 
“Her Grace disclosed nothing about her son. What should we call him?”
 
 
“She mentioned it to me. This boy’s name was Sirius.”
 
 
“Oh, what a lovely name. Then his name will be Sirius Schwartz?”
 
 
“No.”
 
 
The daughter looked at his father, confused, wondering why he would reject the idea.
 
 
“Sirius Steorra. That’s his name. There’s nothing that his mother left other than his name and that necklace. It would be better that there’s something that would remind him of her.”
 
 
“Oh, that’s wonderful! A magnificent name that can remind him of Her Grace. Great thinking, Father.”
 
 
“Didn’t I tell you that I am the Wise Owl?! Hahaha...!”
 
 
As Otus laughed with all his might, his daughter stroked the boy's hair as he slowly fell asleep on her shoulder, making the scene resemble a mother just coddling her child. She can’t help but smile while pampering him.
 
 
“So, what do you think of taking care of him?”
 
 
“I would love to do so.”
 
 
“From what I’m seeing, you’re getting quickly attached to him.”
 
 
“Who wouldn’t? Children are cute creatures that will make you pamper them. Though in my case, I don’t know if I can even have one... But, fate paved a way for me and gave me a chance to have one even though he’s not my flesh and blood. I will take care of him as if he were my own.”
 
 
“Catherine...” Otus was staring at his daughter with disbelief evident in his eyes.
 
 
“That is why I must thank you, Father.”
 
 
With a plastered smile on her face, her father became teary. The thought of having children is only a mere dream that wouldn’t ever happen to her, not even an oracle could make her believe that a day like this would come; however, the fact this child is left alone by the person whom she idolized is now her child. That’s the reason she felt remorseful looking at the child, however, she’s happy and blessed because she’s able to do something for that person by taking care of that person’s son in her stead. Naturally, she had to cherish the chance given to her.
 
 
“Look at this, isn’t he adorable?” Catherine started feeling and developing a deep connection with the boy, even though it was her first time meeting him. She can’t deny that his face embodies beauty, which is a quality both mother and son possess.
 
 
“Yeah... He shares some resemblance with his mother.”
 
 
“Her Grace is the concept of beauty itself.”
 
 
“I can’t refute that,” Otus' smiled thinly, as he watched her caressing and pampering the child whom he had brought home. The man knew that his daughter's warmth, love, and care would help the young boy, and it’s a win-win situation.
 
 
Afterwards, they entered a mystical mansion that was surrounded by a variety of particles covering it, with some unknown symbols transcribed around it. Upon entering, the whole mansion faded, merging into the deep forest.
 

Proofread by IrresistableTrash

16