50: Coal in the Depths of Winter
252 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Here are the chapters for the week! Thank you to everyone who's been reading! Thank you to all my supporters! You guys are the best! See you next week! 

Alina Sachs stepped out of the building that had once been her workplace. Alina was an aloof-looking woman. Tall-ish in height, with an average build. She had olive skin, gray eyes that were worryingly knowing, and short silver hair. Since her former employers saw fit to repossess her storage devices, she was forced to carry the things that had been on her desk and in her office, in boxes like a regular person.

Sigi Protz, her long-time friend, trailed behind her also carrying boxes. Sigi was a tall man with dark skin, a buzz-cut, and a beefy, well-built, physique. Their close, and long-term, friendship meant that their enemies had targeted both of them. Aware that taking down one was impossible without taking down the other.

Behind Sigi came their junior, Miss Alisha Fayad. Alina’s assistant and protege, who’d, unfortunately, tossed herself into the fire as well. A petite woman with brown skin, rabbit-ears, and an absent-minded feel about her. Alisha had meaningful brown eyes and ultra-short, wavy, red hair that was neatly styled. She’d chosen to resign alongside her direct-superior rather than just watch her friend and mentor get the boot.

“Well, fuck…” said Sigi. Sighing.

“Yeah...That particular meeting did ‘NOT’ go as planned,” said Alina. Also sighing.

“Tch, I'll say...That weaselly-fuck Martinez better watch his back, after this. They used him to take us down but he's the textbook definition of a disposable stooge...Anyway, so, after we drop these off...I need to get drunk, what say you? Because today’s the kind of day I need to wash out of my brain with the cleansing power of alcohol,” said Sigi. Rattling the boxes and duffle bag that he was holding.

“A tempting offer, but I’m honestly thinking we might be better off leaving the city asap. I wouldn’t put it past some of those bastards to set something up to fuck up our lives as well as our careers,” said Alina.

“Do you really think they might try to kill us?” said Sigi.

“Either that or get us sold off as debt slaves somehow. Depends on whoever gets to us first,” said Alina.

“Fuck…” said Sigi.

Then Alina jolted as her personal communication tablet began to vibrate. Her former employers tried to take this away from her too. However, the lack of any proprietary files on the phone, and the fact that she’d gone out of her way to make sure it was a model that they couldn’t “mistake” as being one of the company’s models, plus a few favors she was still owed with the building's security, kept the phone from being taken from her.

“Hello, this is Alina Sachs Chairperson of...Er, this is Alina Sachs. Who may I ask who’s speaking,” said Alina. Sighing again as she was reminded that she’d just lost everything she’d spent the last twenty years working for.

“Oh, hey, Alina...It’s Jacky, we came in with the sect for the big tournament that’s happening and thought we might chat, hang out,... maybe do a little business,” said a familiar voice.

Suddenly, Alina saw a light at the end of the tunnel. She suspected that she might well be grasping at straws but she had a hunch that she’d just been dealt a hand of cards that would let her turn this shitty game she’d been forced to play, all the way around.

“Oh, hi, Jack. Nice to hear from you. Last I heard Jill’s okay, right?”

“Oh...Oh, yeah. Jill’s like a brick shithouse made out of spirit-diamond...Thanks for all your support back then,” said Jack. Laughing boisterously. Then her voice softened as she remembered all the times she’d called Alina because she needed somebody to talk to, when her husband was delirious and dying and there was no one else she could trust or turn to.

“Don’t mention it...That’s what friends are for. So where’d you want to meet?” said Alina.

“Uh, we’re not sure. It’s been a while since we’ve been in Five-fire city and we’ve no clue where the best hangouts are now,” said Jack.

“Hm, well, I’ve got a few ideas on places that’d be good for a nice quiet lunch...Er, head’s up, Sigi and I have unfortunately been let go from our respective firms, and there may, or may not, be some unpleasant fellows looking for us now...I’d understand if you no longer want to meet,” said Alina. Taking a chance and hoping she hadn’t misread how the mysterious, yet ostensibly straightforward, youths seemed to operate.

Jill’s voice cut in on the call but Alina couldn’t quite catch what he was saying.

“Eh, that’s fine...Jill says you should just give us a meeting address already. We can talk about the other trivialities later,” said Jack. Chuckling as Jill said more things that Alina couldn’t quite catch on the other end of the call.

“Right...Well, so long as you’re sure,” said Alina. Smiling now. Relieved that her gamble paid off, and almost feeling slightly guilty for even thinking it was a gamble, now that she’d re-confirmed what kind of people those two were.

10