The Ancient Guitarist
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I entered the living room of Welgorlinz Manor early one morning in the second week of Jovirlis in 1868 AW, carrying the mail from the day before in like usual and placed them on Scarlon's desk.

He grinned as he looked up. "The normal assortment, Colin?

I nodded. "A good mix of junk mail and requests for your assistance."

Scarlon sighed as he tossed the junk mail into the nearest basket and looked at the remaining envelopes. "What else is new? Anything interesting, at least?

I glanced at the letters myself and the handwriting on one stuck out to me, so I picked it up and handed it to him. "I think there is, this time."

"Oh? What's special about this?" Scarlon asked as he turned the envelope over to see who it was from. "Emma Ferlgriz? I've heard of her. She's a singer, isn't she?"

"Yes. For an up-and-coming rock band called Tourists of the Bards." I began. "She's also a former student from my school."

Scarlon smirked. "Ah. I would open this to see what she wants, but she addressed the letter to you."

"She did?" I asked, surprised as he returned the letter to me. I turned it around to look at the address and sure enough, my name was on it. "Interesting." I opened the envelope and unfolded the letter inside, scanning it before reading it aloud.

"Dear Colin,

"I don't know if you remember me, but I was your tutor a few years ago. I need to ask a favor of your teachers, and I figured my request would reach them if it came through you. It'a about the guitarist in our band. He's a talented musician, but I have some serious concerns about him. I'd like to say more, but I'd prefer telling you about it in person. The Bards are coming to Zupaughberg on tour in a few days and since it's my hometown, we'll be performing there for a week. Can you have one of your teachers email me if I can drop by during our visit?

"Sincerely,

"Emma."

"She knows she could've looked up my contact info, right?" Scarlon asked. "Random UFO and supernatural enthusiasts get their hands on it all the time, so there's no reason she can't."

"True, but I can understand her logic in wanting the request to come through me." I replied.

Scarlon chuckled. "You have a point, Colin. So this girl. She was once a tutor for you?"

"Yes." I began. "She oversaw a few classes in the music program. I often needed her help since I struggled with the subject, so she became my personal tutor not just for music, but for a few other subjects as well. She's always had a sense for anything magical, though she could never cast anything except basic spells, and picked up on my abilities after a few sessions. We'd often talk about magic after she learned about the Kosenka incident, and even tried to help find a magic teacher for me when you took me on as a pupil. She determined I couldn't have been in better hands when you came along."

Scarlon chuckled. "I don't know if I agree with her, but I like to think I'm a good teacher. Anyway, does she have an email I can use to contact her?"

I looked over the letter once more. "Yes. I see one written here, but it isn't a band email or the personal one I remember. Either it's new, or she set it up for this."

Scarlon nodded. "I'm leaning towards the address being set up for this. Given her position, it's a good way to ensure the response is coming from me instead of some random fan." He turned on the tablet he kept on the desk and took the letter from me. "Why don't you head outside and go through the warm-up drills while I take care of this?"

"Sure." I said as I headed for the back. "But another weapons practice day? Didn't we just do this yesterday?"

"We did, but more and more cases as of late have involved combat rather than just magic, so I figured we should take a few days to build your skills up." He replied. "I'm even considering teaching you a few combat enhancement spells."

"Yes. I do understand, but aren't those enhancement spells a little complex?" I asked.

"They can be, but I think you're almost ready for a few basic ones." Scarlon said. "Now run along. I'll join you once I'm done here."

I ran out to the backyard and Scarlon came out a few minutes later when I was finishing the warm-up. He helped me through a few practice drills and taught me a few basic enhancement spells for applying elemental magic to some weapons without damaging them or the caster. We went back inside about an hour later and Scarlon checked his tablet once we were in the living room.

"Emma replied." He said. "She wants to meet us here first thing in the morning when her band arrives in town."

"Sounds good to me." I replied.

He nodded. "It sure does."


I was up and in the living room on the morning of the day Emma chose and was about to sit down next to the desk when a knock was heard.

"Ah. Can you get the door, Colin?" Scarlon asked.

I nodded. "I will in this case."

I answered the front door and saw a woman around my height and a little older standing outside. I knew it was Emma at once.

Emma patted me on the back, laughing since it caused me to wince a bit. "You've grown since last time, Colin."

"Thanks. Though it has been a few years." I said.

"True." Emma remarked as I led her inside. "So how's your teacher been treating you?"

"Pretty well." I replied.

"I see." She said. "And what's it like to be taught by him?"

I paused for a moment as we walked down the front hallway. "It's an experience. His knowledge is unmatched from what I've seen so far, and he's always open to learning more. If he doesn't know something, he'll soon find out." I explained as we walked up to the door leading to the living room. "Now I'm guessing you came here for an important matter?"

Emma nodded. "Oh yes. As good as a friend as you are, I don't want to say anything until I'm in Scarlon's presence." She looked up at the door before us. "I take it we're here?"

"Yep." I said. I opened the door and led the way over to Scarlon's desk, taking a seat beside it while Emma sat in front, across from Scarlon.

He looked up as we sat down before focusing on Emma. "Good morning, Miss Ferlgriz. What brings you here so early in the morning? You must have a good reason."

"I probably would've dropped by at some point during my stay given your reputation and being Colin's teacher." Emma said.

Scarlon nodded. "True enough. You were once his tutor, so a meeting like this does make sense from one teacher to another."

Emma nodded. "It does. Anyway, I'd better explain why I came here. There might be something to what I have to say and maybe there isn't, but I'd like to hear your opinion."

Scarlon nodded. "What seems to be the issue, Miss Ferlgriz?"

"Please. Just Emma is fine as mutual friends of Colin." She said before clearing her throat. "The situation involves the band, and one member in particular. Do you follow us at all?"

Scarlon shook his head. "I regret to say I do not. I don't really follow the music scene in general. I'm familiar with some trends, but not individual bands and performers."

Emma was silent for a moment. "I understand. You must've encountered countless music groups over the ages."

"More than you can imagine." Scarlon said. "Though I do tend to have a better chance of following performers I've met."

Emma grinned. "Perfect. Now back to the reason for my visit. To begin, I have to give you the basic structure of the band. There's four members: guitarist Miles Glarksom, bassist Edgar Relash, drummer Amelia Thomson, and me, the lead singer. While the Miles and Edgar have been with the band from the start, the same cannot be said for Amelia or me. We came in later, replacing the original singer and drummer."

"I see." Scarlon said. "And what happened to the original ones?"

"This is where the strange part lies." Emma began. "According to the bassist, the first lead singer, Wendy Rodgers, was found dead on a riverbank a day after getting into an argument with our short-tempered guitarist about song choices and tour locations. Something similar happened with our original drummer, Huck Davis, a few weeks ago. They had an argument about similar topics, and we found his body on the side of the road a day later as we were heading out."

"So we have two people who had an argument with your guitarist about similar subjects who turned up dead the next day?" Scarlon asked. Emma nodded. "I see. This is indeed an odd matter, and I doubt it's a coincidence, though shouldn't a potential double murder be brought up to the police instead of me?"

"They've been looking into it, but nothing conclusive's been reached yet and something just doesn't feel right." Emma began. "Something is off and creepy about Miles, more than just being a potential murderer. He's one of the best guitarists I've ever seen, but...he has the sense of a magic user."

"Ah. A magic user?" Scarlon said. "Now I'm starting to understand why you brought this matter to me."

Emma sighed. "I'm almost certain he is one. He claims he's only a few years older than me, though I knew he was much older from one look at his eyes."

"Ah." Scarlon said. "So a potential murderous guitarist who might be older than he looks. It's not uncommon for magic users to be older than they appear since using magic on a regular basis can extend one's lifespan far beyond the natural limits of their species."

"A lesson I learned after meeting a few magic users." She looked Scarlon in the eye. "Hmmm. Strange. I know you're quite old, but his eyes look so much older than yours."

He raised an eyebrow. "Are you serious?" Emma nodded. "Then I'm guessing this Miles isn't human?"

Emma shook her head. "No. We work with a few orcs and elves, but all of the performers in the band are human."

Scarlon leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes for a moment. "So a murderous magic user who might've lived longer than any human can, even with magic? Strange. You came at a good time, Emma. I don't have any open cases, so I can focus on yours right away."

"Thank you. "Emma said. "I'll be happy to pay your usual rates for your assistance."

"I appreciate it, Miss Fe--Emma." Scarlon replied. "I'll help in any way I can."

"Why don't you start by coming to our show tonight? I'm sure seeing the man yourselves will be helpful." Emma remarked as she handed a couple of passes to both of us.

"You're a smart woman, Emma." Scarlon said as we accepted the passes. "We can pick up on his magic use and see what we're dealing with."

"That was the idea. If I could pick up magic around him, I'm sure both of you can." Emma grinned. "Then you'll come?"

Scarlon nodded. "We'll be there tonight."

"Perfect! I'll see you then." Emma said. "Oh. One more thing. Those passes as good for a year, so you can attend all the shows you like. I'll even send digital versions to both of your emails." She looked at Scarlon. "Your sisters, as well."

"I appreciate this." Scarlon said. "These passes are almost essential for this situation, and I'm sure they'll be of use depending on where we end up."

Emma grinned. "Perfect."

"Do you need anything else this morning?" Scarlon asked.

Emma shook her head as she shook Scarlon's hand. "Not at the moment. I'm grateful for your assistance in this matter, and I'll meet up with you after the show to hear what you have to say about our guitarist." She looked at me with a smirk. "And I'm also interested to hear what you have to say about our show. To be honest, I'm surprised I haven't seen your name in any of our fan pages or email lists yet."

I blushed a bit as I looked down. "I haven't had the chance between my studies and hunting monsters down all over the planet."

"You have a point there, Colin." Emma replied. "Though it wouldn't hurt to focus on things apart from your studies every now and then." She got up and we escorted her out. "Take care, my friends. See you tonight." She shouted as she ran down the path to the sidewalk. We returned to the living room as soon as she was out of sight.

"She has a point, you know." Scarlon said as we sat down around the desk.

"About what?" I asked as I looked up.

"I think you know." Scarlon began. "I was referring to what she said about taking an interest in things outside of your studies. You're young by both human and elf standards, so you should try to enjoy more of what your planet has to offer."

I sighed. "I know, but I do try on occasion."

"I'm sure you do, my young pupil. But I'm thinking of including a lesson on the subject at some point since it's good for the mind." Scarlon said.

I glared at him. "Shouldn't you do the same? The only time I've seen you interesting in anything outside of magic is when it has something to do with one of our cases."

He smiled. "Not always. I do read a lot and have an interest in local artwork of various kinds, but you have a point. This may be a lesson both of us need, but not today. I already have a lesson planned, and we'd better get through it so we can get ready for your friend's show."

"Yeah. We probably should." I said.

"Then let's get started." Scarlon took a few books out and went over some basics about using elemental magic during combat.


We went to the auditorium the show was being held in about ten minutes before it started and presented our passes to the guy at the ticket booth, who handed a pair of tickets to us and let us in without a moment's hesitation. We found our seats in the second row and I saw we were next to one of my teachers, a man in his late sixties named Ethan Krolgos.

"I wasn't expecting to see you here, Mr. Krolgos." I said.

He chuckled. "Is it so surprising, Colin? We're both friends of Emma, after all."

"True." I said. "I remember you've always been helping her."

Mr. Krolgos nodded. "Indeed. Her grandfather was one of the first people I befriended when I landed on the shores of Brogaibuin, and I've been good friends with the family ever since."

"Ah." I said. "Wait. When did you first come here?"

"A long time ago, at least by human standards." He replied. "I first came to this continent when I was only a little older than you are now."

"So about fifty years ago?" Scarlon asked.

"Just about." Mr. Krolgos said. "And with no family alive save for an aunt who took me in and brought me here to Yarlforr County."

"Ah." Scarlon said. "If you don't mind me asking, where are you from Mr. Krolgos?"

"I'm from Iacrayira, a small country in the Okiukuth region." He replied.

"Ah." Scarlon said as he leaned back. "There's a name from the past."

Mr. Krolgos raised an eyebrow. "You've been there, then?"

Scarlon nodded. "I lived there awhile back, and I seem to recall passing through Iacrayira a few times. Beautiful country, though some of the cities and the gaps between them left a lot to be desired."

"I agree with you there." Mr. Krolgos began. "It was a decent place, but I have not desire to go back. There's nothing left for me there, anyway."

The show started and we focused our attention on it. Scarlon looked a little surprised by the quality of Emma's singing, though I wasn't since I'd already heard her sing before and knew how good she was at it. The other members of the band were great performers as well, even the drummer who I later learned was a last minute replacement after Huck's death. I shifted my gaze to Miles and I saw Scarlon do the same during the middle of the show. Miles seemed to return our gaze a few times, and it creeped me out since I could feel a strong magic presence coming from him.

"I see now why Emma was concerned." I whispered to Scarlon as the guitarist looked away for a moment during a song change. "I can sense his use of magic from here!"

"So can I." Scarlon whispered back. "Along with an endless anger."

I heard Mr. Krolgos say, "Curious."

"What is, Mr. Krolgos?" I asked.

He pointed to Miles.

"Him. I can't put a finger on it, but I know that face!"

"Could it be from band photos or clips of their shows?" I asked.

Mr. Krolgos shook his head. "I doubt it."

Scarlon glanced over at Mr. Krolgos, but he didn't say anything for the rest of the show. He looked at me once everyone started to leave. "I must agree with your teacher on one thing. You know I never forget a face, right?" I nodded, remembering Scarlon's memories of faces from a few early cases. "Well, I remember seeing a musician with Miles's face some centuries ago, though the exact date and place are escaping me at the moment."

Emma emerged from backstage a few minutes later. "So what did you think?" she asked.

I smiled. "The show was excellent. You've gotten better since I last saw you perform, Emma."

She chuckled. "Thank you. I guess performing three to five times a week does wonders."

"It sure does." Scarlon said. "I was impressed."

She grinned. "Thank you, Scarlon. That means a lot coming from you." She looked over as Miles gathered his gear and disappeared backstage. "So what did you think of him?"

"Both of us sensed a strong magic presence from him." I replied.

"So did I. We at least have one thing clear." Emma began. "Anything else?"

Scarlon nodded. "I could sense a great anger, and I recognized him. I can't recall where or when, but I'm sure I saw him a few times a long time ago."

"How long ago are we talking?" I asked. "A long time for you, or us?"

"Both in this case." Scarlon replied. "Longer than any human could live."

"Yeah. He has that look about him, but he seems human." Emma said.

Scarlon leaned back in his seat. "He seems human because he is. This is where things get strange. I know one of the times I saw him was over five hundred years ago, longer than any human can live even with magic use!"

"What's your overall impression of him, sir?"

"I think your concerns as justified, Emma. Something's off about him, and the anger I sense shows he's no stranger to violent activities. We'll do some digging to see if we can find anything about him before making a move, though we'll act in a heartbeat if he does anything around here. You have my word."

"Thank you. I knew I chose the right person for the job." She gave a light bow before running backstage. Scarlon looked over as she disappeared from sight.

"Try to find any information you can on the guitarist, and I'll do the same. Something should jog my memory." He said.

"I'll do what I can." I answered as we headed out.

"On a lighter note, I was more impressed by your friend's singing than I thought I'd be." He began. "Her magical sense, as well. She'll never be able to do what we can, but her senses are better than most. I understand now how she picked up on your abilities."

"So can I now." I said. "So do you think we can help her with this?"

"I'm sure we can, my student. I'll ensure nothing happens on our watch."


I was seated on one side of Scarlon's desk with my laptop out a few minutes later, starting my research while he sat on the other side and flipped through some old books.

"Nothing in here, but I'm sure I have something somewhere." He sighed.

I looked up. "I'm not having much luck, but I did come across some reports related to the Tourists of the Bards. Most of them fit with what Emma said about the situations surrounding the deaths of Wendy and Huck. In both cases, they were found dead after a heated argument with Miles. The subject of the argument with Wendy is unknown, but the reports say the argument with Huck was over a tempo change."

"Ah. Go on."

I looked through a few more articles. "Wendy's cause of death was strangulation, and Huck was stabbed several times. Miles is the prime suspect in both cases, but the evidence is inconclusive. Hence why he's still in the band. The situations leading up to both murders could be a coincidence, but I doubt it."

"So do I." Scarlon said. "I sensed an intense anger in him along with some significant control over magic. He'd have to in order to live far beyond his natural limits."

"I'm sure." I said. "I haven't found much on Miles outside of posts related to the band, though."

He smiled. "You've done enough already, Colin. Just rest for the night, and we'll try again once your both your regular school day and your lessons from me are done tomorrow. I'll just keep going through my records and hope I find a record related to Miles somewhere in my collection."

I nodded as I started heading down the hall towards the room I used. "I'm sure, Scarlon. Good night."


I arrived at my first class early the next morning, which happened to be Mr. Krolgos's class, and glanced around the room since he always kept photos and relics from Iacrayira and many other places. His subject has always been history, so this made sense. I had seen everything in the room countless times, but the small black and white picture on the wall next to his desk drew my attention for a reason I couldn't explain since it never caught my interest before. I knew it was taken about sixty years ago somewhere in the Okiukuth region and was of Mr. Krolgos's sister along with the music troupe she was part of. He once told the class she had died a few months before he left Iacrayira. The photo was the last one ever taken of her, though he always dodged any questions asked regarding how she died. I never pressed the matter since I knew a sore subject when I saw one. I got up to get a better look at the photo and it took me a few moments to realize why it had caught my attention for the first time. The guitarist in the troupe was standing behind Mr. Krolgos's sister and though picture was decades old, I recognized him as Miles. The face was the same, including the intense look. I took a picture of the photo with my phone and jotted down the name of the troupe, The Grilshosk Band, before hurrying back to my seat as Mr. Krolgos came in. He looked at the photo as he got to his desk, and his face fell. He was quiet throughout the day's lesson, speaking only enough times to get through the topic he was supposed to teach. He must've recognized Miles as well and I now had a guess about how his sister died, but I wanted to be sure. I stayed in his class a little longer after it ended and used my laptop to research Miles and the Grilshosk band. My next class was a study session for the day, so I wasn't missing much.

I found a few results about the Grilshosk band, including a few news articles in local newspapers from the time. One article in particular caught my attention which said, The bodies of three members of the traveling Grilshosk Band, who had been performing in town for the last few nights, were found on the side of the road. Among them was local singer Gweneth Krolgos. The fourth member, guitarist Milvent Garsh, was nowhere to be seen despite a thorough search. Milvent wasn't far off from Miles, so I saved the article and sent a link to SCarlon along with the photo before reading the final part of the article. We spoke to a relative of Miss Krolgos who claims he witnessed Milvent kill the rest of the band before disappearing into the night.

"I think I understand now." I thought, glancing at Mr. Krolgos as I gathered my things and attempted to get out of the room without him noticing, but he looked up as I was about to go through the door.

"You saw him too, Colin?" he asked.

I was startled as I tried to back up out of the room. "What do you mean, Mr. Krolgos?"

He pointed to the photo of his sister and her troupe. "I saw him, too. The same man we saw last night aat the concert."

"Yes. I did notice the resemblance between Miles and the guy in the portrait." I replied. "It's striking."

"Not just a resemblance in appearance. He has the same face, style of instrument, and gaze. Even after more than sixty years." He said. "I know he's the same man since saw him almost every day back then. I'll never forget him."

"I just looked through a news report from the time." I began. "He killed your sister, didn't he?"

He hesitated for a moment before nodding. "My parents died when a disease swept through the village I was born in, so Gweneth was all I had in Iacrayira. I travelled with every troupe she performed with, including the Grilshosk Band. Milvent would often argue with others about song choices and travel routes. One night during a heated argument, he killed all of them and ran off. I saw the whole thing." He sighed as he glanced at the photo. "You don't want to know what it's like to see someone close to you cut down before your eyes."

I was silent for a moment. "I can't begin to imagine how horrible the experience was. But....how do I put this? How--"

"Did I survive?" he asked. I nodded. "I don't know. I had a few arguments with Milvent myself, but I was always beneath his notice since I was too young to be an active performer and had no interest in being one, anyway. I guess he thought I wasn't worth the trouble to hunt down and kill since he didn't see me, and had no idea I witnessed the whole thing." He glanced at the photo once more. "I spent the next several months searching every town for him with no success and stopped when my aunt, who had moved away long ago, made arrangements to sent me here to Brogaibuin. I never saw Milvent again. Until last night, anyway. Though I didn't realize it was him until I saw you looking at the photo."

I looked down, taking in everything I had just heard. "Are you sure it was him, though? The incident was a long time ago."

Mr Krolgos glared. "You saw him yourself last night and in the photo here. Is there any doubt Milvent and Miles are the same man?"

I shook my head. "The resemblance is too close for them to be different people, though I don't know how he can look the same after so many years."

"Don't elves look the same after many decades?" he asked.

"They can, but there's some sign of aging after sixty years." I explained.

"Ah. So we don't know how this man has lived for this long?"

"Not yet." I said. "Though I'm looking into it."

"Good luck, Colin." He began. "In the meantime, I'll be attending the shows for the rest of the week to keep an eye on Milvent, Miles, or whatever he calls himself. If I see signs similar to what I saw back then, he's finished."

"Be careful, Mr. Krolgos." I said as I ran off for my next class, hoping he didn't try anything rash.


I returned to the manor at the end of the day and saw Scarlon sitting and reading in front of the coffee table, which was covered with books, scrolls, and sheets of paper with writing in many different languages.

"Not behind your desk for a change?" I remarked as I sat across from him.

He smirked. "A rare sight to behold, isn't it? I just needed a place where I could glance through centuries of records at once."

"Understandable." I said.

He nodded. "The picture and article you sent were quite interesting."

I glared at him. "Interesting is an understatement. I still haven't found anything conclusive outside of the photo, but I did come across a few legends in remote regions about a travelling musician who kills anyone he performs with after awhile."

"If those legends are referring to this Miles, or Milvent as the article calls him, then we have a real charming individual on our hands." He sighed. "But I went through my records and I remember now where I'd seen him before!"

"You did?" I asked.

"Yes. I've caught glimpses of him at various performances over the centuries, but I saw him for the first time while passing through a village a short time after I came to this planet." Scarlon replied. "He was performing in a town square."

I gasped. "Are you sure? Didn't you say you came here about seven centuries ago?"

"Just about." He said.

"And this Milvent was around then? How?!" I shouted.

He shrugged. "I'm as much in the dark as you are. I have a few guesses, but I want to look at him again before I say anything."

"Ah." I said. "So I take it we're going back to the show again?"

Scarlon nodded. "I want to compare the picture to Miles. While I'm certain they're the same man, I want to be sure. In the meantime, see if you can find more information on him."

"I'll do what I can." I said.

"Good." Scarlon said as he went back to looking through his records.


We returned to the concert hall to watch the evening show and I brought my tablet along to do some digging, and also to look at the photo during the performance. Scarlon focused on Miles's performance and looked between him and the photo on my screen a few times.

"It's him, alright." He whispered. "Not just the face is the same, but his glare as well."

I glanced at the photo myself and nodded in agreement as we leaned back to watch the show. I spotted Mr. Krolgos a few seats down and saw a knife hilt stick out of his pocket for a moment before he shoved it in when he saw us. Though he didn't say anything.

"What's your teacher doing with a knife, and one from Iacrayira from the look of it?" Scarlon asked in a whisper.

I sighed. "Remember the article I sent you?"

"Yes." Scarlon said, pausing for a moment. "Oh. The last name of one of the performers was Krolgos and the article mentioned a relative who witnessed the crime." He glanced at Mr. Krolgos. "He must've been the relative."

I nodded as I pointed to Gweneth in the photo. "She was his sister, and he travelled with her since he had nobody left in his homeland. He recognized Miles in the photo. He's also been close friends with Emma's family since he arrived here."

"Ah." Scarlon replied. "So he's concerned for her safety?"

"Yes. He said he was going to keep an eye on him and would strike if he saw him go after the band, but I didn't think he was serious." I said.

"I'm not surprised. I'd keep close myself if I spotted a murderer I'd seen over sixty years later in a foreign land." Scarlon said. He leaned back as he watched the band perform, focusing on Miles. "Such skill. He's honed his craft well over the ages. Shame he has a murderous streak in him." He looked at me. "I'm sure your teacher is motivated in some part by revenge, but I won't try to stop him as long as Miles, or Milvent, makes the first move. And I'm sure he will soon enough."

I nodded as I went back to researching Miles, trying to find as much as I could on murderous guitarists and while I found some interesting tales, none of them had anything to do with the case.

Scarlon looked over and glanced at some of the results. "Maybe you should broaden your search to other stringed instruments, ancient ones in particular. He used a lute when I first saw him." He whispered.

I tried his suggestion, adding lutes in particular to the search terms, and my eyes widened when I saw some of the results. There were several links to stories featuring people who could've been Miles, but one result stood out. It was a translation of an account found on an ancient palace wall somewhere on the Jagerfell continent, written by the people of the Utaeweth Kingdom five thousand years before the reign of the Overlord. It was about a local court bard named Mishsum along with some rival performers who arrived in the land and wished to play for the king. He worked with the performers for a time, but they had a dispute one evening and the bodies of the rivals were found impaled on the palace walls. Mishsum was the primary suspect, but he disappeared. His main lute was found in the palace, but Mishsum himself waS never seen again. I slid the tablet over to Scarlon. "Think this is our guy?"

He read through the article before looking at my with a grim face and nodding. "There's a high chance he is. The methods are similar, and so is the instrument of choice. While the name Mishsum is a little different than Miles or Milvent, it's similar enough."

I gulped. "I was afraid you'd say that." My gaze turned towards Miles. "Though if the account really is about him, wouldn't he have already been thousands of years old by the time you first saw him?" Scarlon nodded. "In other words, he's much older than you."

"Not just me, but most of my living relatives." He replied. "But this means my worst fears have been realized. There's only a couple of ways someone can live beyond their natural limits for this long and keep the same appearance. Most of them are out of the question for a person with a history of murder with one exception." He sighed.

"And what would that way be?" I asked.

"I'll explain later. I don't want to talk about it more than I have to, or around this many people."

We enjoyed the rest of the show and when it ended, Emma came out and led us to a quiet part of the hall which nobody went to save for the band members on occasion.

"Did you find anything?" she asked.

"More than I was expecting." I replied as we reported our findings to her, leaving out Mr. Krolgos's plan. Her expression turned grim.

"Mishsum? So he's probably been around for thousands of years and has a history of killing the people he performs with?" She asked. "It does line up with what happened with the Bards." She glanced at Miles as he walked by for a moment to gather his equipment from the stage. "Mr. Krolgos was always secretive about what happened to his sister outside of once implying she was killed, but to think he's the one who did it. He never would've gotten close to the band if I'd known, but that's beside the point now." She sighed as she faced Scarlon. "But he's human, isn't he? How has he lived for thousands of years?!"

Scarlon looked around the room before moving his hands around in a few different directions. "Nobody's around us, but I've ensured nobody can listen in. I'll tell you my guess." He began in a whisper. "Mishsum, or Miles as he calls himself at the moment, is a skilled magic user from what I can sense. There are a few ways to become immortal such as gaining the favor of a deity, which I doubt is the case here since most of the ones capable of such a thing wouldn't approve of someone who kills people on a regular basis. I think there's a high chance he's using an object known to my people as a forculux. No idea what they're called here despite coming across a few of them."

"A forculux?" I'd come across the name a few times when I had to read Scarlon's books for study, but they didn't say much about them.

"A vessel for a fragment of soul created from an object of importance to you using some advanced and volatile magic. This can only be done after either witnessing or performing a heinous act, with the latter coming up more often. Said act is murdering someone of your own species most of the time."

"And they make you immortal?" I asked.

Scarlon nodded. "Once the object is created, you can't die as long as it exists. Though as I already stated, the magic used to create it is volatile and can kill you if it goes wrong."

"Ah." I said. "Though the reward almost sounds worth it."

"Hence why they come up often in our line of work. Most people even a little capable of magic and obsessed with immortality will try to make one. In fact, I'm a little surprised you haven't dealt with one yet." He remarked.

"Really?" I asked.

He nodded. "They aren't common, but it feels like it at times. But back to the matter at hand. I'm sure Mishsum is using a forculux, but we're no closer to finding out what it could be and where it is."

Emma was silent for a moment. "You said these objects are of importance to the person, right?"

"Yes. Otherwise the magic won't work." Scarlon replied.

"And the account of this Mishsum says he was of the Utaeweth people. Wouldn't this forculux have to be at least six thousand years old?" she asked.

"It does." Scarlon said. "Given his appearance, it can't be more than a few decades younger than him."

"Ah. How much older can it be?" she asked.

"There's no limit." He answered.

"You know, after thinking about the account on the palace wall, it mentioned a lute which Mishsum left behind when he disappeared. Could this be the forculux?" I asked.

"It could be, though we'd need to know what happened to the lute." Scarlon said.

"An ancient lute." Emma muttered. I wonder."

I looked over. "What is it, Emma?"

"We passed by the local museum as we entered Zupaughberg and Miles looked a little uneasy when he saw it. Maybe even frightened."

"Interesting." I said. "Do you remember where the ad was?"

She shook her head. "But I'll know it if I see it."

I looked up some advertisements for the local museum on my tablet and handed it to her. "Was it one of these?"

"Let's see." She scrolled through the pictures. "Ah. Here it is."

She returned the tablet, and a poster of an ancient instruments exhibit was on the screen. Scarlon looked over my shoulder.

"A display of some of the instruments in the museum's permanent collection." He remarked as he pointed to a photo of a couple of antique lutes in the background. "These appear to be around the same age Mishsum would be, so we have a potential lead. We'll head for the museum before the show tomorrow and look at them for ourselves." He looked at Emma. "Can you stay clear of 'Miles' before and after tomorrow's show? From what we've seen, there's no telling when he'll snap."

Emma smiled. "I shouldn't have any trouble staying out of his way."

"Good. We'll see you tomorrow if all goes well." Scarlon said.


We walked through the parking lot of the concert hall and saw a figure in the distance as we got close to Scarlon's car. It was indistinct at first, but I recognized Miles's gaze as we got closer. His arms were crossed and he was staring right at us.

"Do you think I couldn't sense a pair of magic users?!" he growled.

"No different from both of us sensing you, Mishsum." Scarlon shot back. Miles flinched a bit. "So it is your original name."

"What of it, you irritating boy?!" Mishsum shouted.

"How could I be irritating to you when we've never met before except once or twice in passing?" Scarlon asked. "Even those meetings would've been centuries ago."

"Because I've heard about you over the last few centuries." Mishsum began. "You're Scarlon Demalgo, correct?" Scarlon nodded. "You've always been a potential problem for me." Mishsum went on as he glared at me for a moment. "The Renaud brat as well in the last few years. I'm warning you to stay out of my way. Since you know my name, I'm sure you know what I can do. You children will be just two of many I've killed. While your magic power has always dwarfed mine, you're still just a mortal."

"True." Scarlon said. "But I know how to even the playing field."

Mishsum growled once more. "Do you now?"

Scarlon smirked. "Do you think I wouldn't know about those detestable objects when I've been a supernatural investigator for centuries? Though to be honest, I knew about them long before I ever set foot on this planet. I'll find yours sooner or later, and you'd better believe I'll destroy it."

Mishsum laughed. "Go ahead, boy! You don't want to know how often I've heard that line over the millennia. Even the sorcerers of Overlord Bardon couldn't find it or even me, and they searched for over a thousand years."

"We'll see." Scarlon said, pushing him aside as he dragged me over to the car. "If you see us again, we've succeeded. If you kill one more member of the Bards, you won't like the outcome." We got in the car.

"What's to stop me from killing you right now?" Mishsum asked as he went up to the driver's side window.

"A few reasons." Scarlon said. "One, you can never get in here, and two, the trail will get pretty hot for you. After all, you're already a suspect in two recent murders and I know of a few others you've committed. I'm sure you don't want to spend a few centuries in prison. Besides, you admitted my magic is more powerful than yours. I'm sure your gods are anxious to get their hands on you, and they might before long. Good day." Mishsum's face grew pale as we drove off.


Scarlon and I were in the driveway the following afternoon. I was carrying a knife and Scarlon his sword. We were about to get in the car to go to the museum when a woman walked up the path.

"Good afternoon. Can we help you?" I asked.

The woman glared. "It's me, Colin!" Her form morphed into a more familiar one and I knew her at once.

"Good to see you, Vanessa. Though I guess I still need some work on identifying you in different forms." I sighed.

Scarlon raised an eyebrow. "Some? You still have a lot of work with finding identifying marks, but we'll work on it another time."

"Oh?" Vanessa asked when she saw our weapons. "You're on a case?" We explained the situation to Vanessa. "So we have a murderous guitarist who's over six thousand years old with the help of a forculux along with the brother of a past victim who wants to kill him before anyone else is harmed. A perfect combo for disaster." She said with a sigh. "Though except for the whole murdering fellow performers part, he's similar to Englas."

Scarlon chuckled. "I never thought about it until now, but there are similarities between them."

I looked over. "Who's Englas?"

"An old friend." Scarlon said. "Nothing you need to worry about when we have a more pressing matter on our hands." He turned towards his sister. "I know you just got back, Vanessa, but could you go to the concert and keep an eye on Mishsum?"

She nodded. "Of course. I've liked the Tourists of the Bards for awhile anyway, so I won't pass up a chance to see them perform in person. I'll let you know if Mishsum tries anything."

"Thank you. Take care, sis. This one could be trouble." He said as they gave each other an affectionate hug.

"And you, bro." Vanessa replied before turning to pat me on the head. "Take care, kid. Forculuxes are troublesome to deal with."

"In what way?" I asked.

"You'll see soon enough." She went into the house while Scarlon and I got in the car and drove off towards the museum.


We arrived a few minutes later, passing by the poster of the ancient instruments exhibit on the way in. An old man standing behind the desk focused his gaze on us as we entered the lobby.

"I haven't seen either of you in here for some time." The old man remarked, though he frowned a bit when he saw our weapons. "I'm guessing you here on business this afternoon?"

"I regret to say we are, Mr. Delgore. We need to see those." Scarlon said as he pointed to the poster. "The ancient lutes in particular."

"Ah. Right this way." Mr. Delgore said as led us through the museum. I wished we had time to stop at some of the exhibits we passed along the way showing artifacts from all eras of history, though we didn't know how much time we had to find what we were looking for. We passed by an exhibit from the time of the Overlord's defeat and I thought I saw a longing, nostalgic look in Scarlon's eyes for a moment.

"Mind I ask why you need to see those instruments?" Mr. Delgore asked Scarlon. "Though I know you must have a good reason."

Scarlon nodded. "A band known as the Tourists of the Bards are performing here this week, and I have reason to suspect one of these lutes is sustaining the life of their guitarist. Said guitarist has a history of killing anyone he performs with."

"Ah. Say no more. I'll leave this to you." He replied.

"I'm guessing you know about these objects, Mr. Delgore?" I asked.

He nodded. "I sure do, kid. Think you can be a curator of a place like this for over forty years without coming across anything extraordinary or evil?"

"Good point." I replied.

Mr. Delgore led us to the ancient instruments exhibit and led us to the lutes, which looked much older than anything else around it. "Do you know which one it is?"

"Good question. Both are from around the same period as the wall inscription." Scarlon said.

"Wall inscription?" Mr. Delgore asked.

"I believe it was found in a castle in the Utaeweth Kingdom." He replied. "It was about a court bard named Mishsum."

Mr. Delgore glared. "Mishsum?" He put one of the lutes away. "Then this is what you're looking for." He said as he pointed to the remaining one. "I once saw the inscription you speak of in person and helped verify the truth of it. This is the same lute said to have been left behind by Mishsum when he fled."

"Are you sure?" Scarlon asked.

"Yes. Many generations of court musicians in Utaeweth performed in this lute, along with many serving the rulers who conquered the area over the years before being locked up in a castle cellar for centuries." Mr. Delgore explained. "A member of the royal family ruling over the region Utaeweth was in donated the lute to the museum a few years ago, thinking something was off since it has survived for thousands of years."

Scarlon examined the lute. "This has the touch of magic on it, so he was on the right track." Scarlon said.

"What makes you think this guitarist is Mishsum?" the curator asked.

"His current name, Miles Glarksom, has a few similarities, and he admitted Mishsum was his original name when he confronted me last night." Scarlon replied.

"It's a shame to destroy this lute since it's playable, though it's a worthy sacrifice to save several lives. Just come to me when you're done." Mr. Delgore said as he ran off as fast as he could.

I glared at Scarlon. "Uh...what's going to happen next? It must be trouble if both Vanessa and Mr. Delgore are frightened of it."

"It frightens me as well. You'll see why in a moment." Scarlon said as he placed the lute on the ground and stepped away from it. "Can you sense a magic presence in the lute?"

I looked at the instrument for a moment and nodded as I felt an intense energy almost strong enough to push me down. "It's a strong presence for an object."

Good. A presence this strong is a sign of a forculux nine times out of ten. Scarlon said.

"And the tenth time?" I asked.

"A prison for a strong creature.

"Oh." I replied. "Uh...I can't tell if that's better or worse."

"It depends on the creature and the creator of the forculux." He said as he pointed to the lute. "We'd be better off with a creature in this case."

I gulped. "Then let's get this over with."

"Well said, my student." Scarlon said as we approached the lute with our weapons drawn.

A transparent figure emerged from the instrument as we got close and blocked our way. He was dressed in ancient clothing popular during the time of the Utaewethens and carried a spear. I looked in his face and recognized Mishsum's gaze at once.

"It's him, all right." I said.

"Yes." Scarlon began. "Mishsum in his younger days."

Mishsum spoke in an ancient language as he moved towards us, twirling his spear.

"Stay on your guard, Colin." Scarlon said as he blocked a few spear thrusts with his sword. "This isn't going to be easy."

"I'll say." I said as I blocked a few strikes with my knife. "Is this the troublesome part you mentioned?"

"Yes." Scarlon said as he started running towards the lute only for Mishsum to appear in his path and try to run him through. "Along with containing the piece of soul, a forculux also contains an imprint of the person at the time they created the object." He explained as he parried the spear thrusts. "As you can see, it'll do what it can to defend the object."

"Oh, great." I sighed as we fought against the apparition.

Scarlon and I tried to run for the lute whenever the opportunity presented itself, but Mishsum appeared between us and the lute before we could get far.

"Mishsum sure has some fighting skill." Scarlon said.

I glared at him while blocking a spear strike. "Some?! And this was his skill thousands of years ago, wasn't it?"

Scarlon's face turned grim as he nodded. "Yes. Meaning we're going to have trouble later."

We defended ourselves against Mishsum for some minutes before he thrust his spear under Scarlon's sword and flung it out of his hand, landing on the other side of the room with a crash. The apparition smiled as he charged at my teacher, perhaps thinking he had an easy target, but he was repelled by some magic blasts. I made another attempt to go after the lute during this which resulted in a short blade struggle. I fought him off, but Mishsum spotted the discarded sword on the ground and went after it. Scarlon did the same, but Mishsum was a little faster and kicked him to the ground as he reached for the blade. He almost got it an inch off the ground before howling in pain and dropping it, bent over and clutching his now smoking hands.

I seized the opportunity to rush for the lute and I was surprised to get to it without any interruptions. Unsure of how much time I'd have, I ran my knife through the instrument, slicing the strings before cutting the board off and proceeding to reduce the instrument to shreds. Mishsum gave one last piercing scream before fading away, spear and all.

Scarlon panted as he picked the sword up. "That was some quick thinking, Colin. Though I never thought my sword's charm would work on an imprint."

"Charm?" I asked.

"I'll explain another time." Scarlon said as he stared at the remains of the lute.

"Is it done, then?"

He nodded. "The forculux is now destroyed, and Mishsum is now a mortal man. You run along to the concert while I tell the curator what happened."

I obeyed and bolted from the room without a second thought and got in the car, which drove off.


I arrived at the concert hall about ten minutes later and went in. Though the show had already started, we got in without any problems. We saw Vanessa as we got to our seats, wearing one of the band's t-shirts.

"Took you long enough." She whispered. "But at least you're here. This Miles, or whatever he calls himself, is one of the best musicians I've come across. Shame he's also a murderer." Vanessa sighed. "Since you're here, I'm guessing you succeeded?"

I nodded. "I destroyed it, and Scarlon is patching things up."

She looked at me in surprise. "Really? You keep impressing me more and more, kid."

I blushed a bit. "Thanks, but I was only doing what I was told and taking advantage of the situation."

"It just means you're learning well." She said.

We leaned back to enjoy the rest of the show. Miles met my gaze once during the performance. The intense gaze from before was replaced with one of terror, and he was one of the first to leave the stage when the show ended. Emma had already left the stage since the last couple of songs were instrumentals, and she greeted us while the rest of the band disappeared backstage.

"Any progress?" she asked.

Scarlon nodded. "If Miles tries anything, we've got him."

"Perfect." She said. "I'll go check on the others and then come back here."

"Sounds good." I said.

She headed backstage and I spotted Mr. Krolgos. "Still intent on this, I see." I remarked as I walked over.

He looked up. "You would too if someone you've been after for most of your life was in your grasp." He said. "I'm just waiting for Milvent to make his move."

Emma ran out a few minutes later, panting as she collapsed in a seat near me. "He...he's locked the door to the back room. I escaped as he was closing the door, but the others are trapped in there!"

"Who? Miles?" I asked. She nodded.

Mr. Krolgos dashed backstage upon hearing her and Vanessa sighed, looking at me.

"I'll take care of things here. You deal with Mishsum." She said. I nodded and ran after Mr. Krolgos. I didn't know where I was going at first until I heard some screams and followed them to a door. Mr. Krolgos was trying to open it while screams emanated from the other side.

"There's no time for this!" he sighed as he slid his knife down the side of the door and kicked it open. The drummer stood against a wall while Miles pinned Edgar to the ground and held a knife to his throat.

"You've gone far enough, Mishsum!" I shouted as Mr. Krolgos rushed in and pushed him off of the bassist.

"If it isn't the Renaud brat!" Mishsum said. "Think you're a match for me now when you were lucky to escape before?"

I stared at him. "How do you--"

"I have a complete recollection of the fight in the museum." He said as I blocked one of his strikes. "Though you don't have much of a chance against me as I am now." Mishsum laughed as we fought.

"Maybe not on his own." Mr. Krolgos growled. "But you won't be getting out of my sight again, Milvent!" he shouted as they crossed blades.

Mishsum stared at Mr. Krolgos as he fought against both of us. "How do you know me by that name?!"

"Simple. I'm Ethan Krolgos." he shouted.

"Ah yes. Gweneth's brat of a brother who travelled with us." Mishsum replied.

"I'm surprised an immortal monster like you remembers us." Mr. Krolgos spat.

I smirked. "Not immortal anymore."

Mishsum glared as he parried some of our attacks. "I remember everyone I've killed over the years. Though you're a little far from home, aren't you?" he asked.

"Would you still be in Iacrayira if you could help it? Though since you're here, I'm guessing your answer is the same as mine." Mr. Krolgos replied.

"Fair point. This'll teach me to ignore travel advances and wars." He sighed as he glared at me. "You'll pay for what you did to me, Renaud!"

"Not if you're dead!" Mr. Krolgos shouted.

Mishsum smirked. "I don't think so. I've been around for thousands of years. You're nothing to me!" He struggled against both of us for a while and blocked most attacks, though I slashed him across the arm after awhile. Mishsum jumped back and glanced at the cut before staring at us. "Blood. You'll pay for this, boy!" he bellowed before coming at me in a fury.

It took all of my skills and reflexes to defend against Mishsum's onslaught, ignoring Mr. Krolgos who took the opportunity to get the Edgar and Amelia out of the room.

"Not bad for a boy who hasn't lived for a single lifetime. Shame you won't live another hour." He grinned as he rose his knife. "This is for being a nuisance and giving me just one more lifetime to live!" He started bringing his knife down and then it fell out of his hand. He let out a grunt before collapsing on the ground and Mr. Krolgos stood there with his knife out.

"You're the one who won't live another hour, and good riddance. Gweneth and your other victims can now rest in peace." He said, looking at Mishsum as he moved a few more times before lying still.

Vanessa and Emma came in a few moments later.

"What happened here?" Emma asked as Vanessa knelt down and lifted the guitarist's arm up for a moment before dropping it. "Is he..."

Vanessa nodded. "Mishsum is dead."

"This is indeed a glorious day. Just think of the lives we've saved!" Mr. Krolgos said as Emma hugged all of us one by one.

"Indeed." Vanessa glanced at Mr. Krolgos's knife. "A word of advice, Ethan Krolgos. Dispose of that thing at the first opportunity."

"Not a problem." He replied. "I only got this knife to deal with Milvent, Miles, Mishsum, or whatever he called himself, and it's job is done."

She glared. "I've read similar words many times over the years in written agreements from people who went on to do horrible things, so forgive me for being a little skeptical."

"You have my word." Mr. Krolgos said. "I've never considered inflicting harm on anyone except in defense, so why would I change now at my age?"

"I don't doubt it, but we'll check in to be sure." Vanessa replied.

Emma glanced down at Mishsum's corpse. "What should we do about him?"

"We'll contact the local authorities to tell them what happened." Vanessa answered.


Two police officers showed up a few minutes later and carried Mishsum's body out after we explained what happened. Everyone went outside to the parking lot. The officers stood behind their van with Mishsum's body on a stretcher next to them. Scarlon ran up a short while later and smirked when he passed by the police van.

"He got what's coming to him after countless ages." He said as he looked at me. "You did an excellent job, my pupil. This never could've happened without your help."

I looked away in embarrassment. "I don't know. I'm sure you could've handled this on your own."

"True, who knows how things would've turned out if I did?" he asked as one of the officers, an older human man, approached.

"Evening, Mr. Demalgo." The officer said.

"Evening, Officer Jones." Scarlon replied. "I see things are under control here."

"They are, but since you're here, I'm guessing this is one of your matters?" Officer Jones asked.

Scarlon nodded as he pointed to the body. "He was a magic user who live far beyond his natural limits and had a nasty habit of murdering anyone he performed with."

Officer Jones's eyes narrowed. "How old are we talking?"

"He was over six thousand years old." Scarlon said.

The officer gasped as he glanced at the body. "Six thousand! Even the elves would have difficulty reaching such an age."

"They would, though it's not impossible." Scarlon remarked. "though it is for a human without taking drastic steps like Miles here, who went by many names."

"Ah." The officer said. "We're sure to find out more about our friend here as we fill out our reports and run our checks, but what should we do with the body once we're done? I'm guessing his civilization is long gone."

"I'd recommend turning the body over to some historians studying the Utaeweth kingdom." Scarlon began. "His people are indeed long gone, but some of their descendants study the old ways and can bury him in accordance with the burial rites of his people."

"Then we'll sure we do as you say." The officer said.

"Thank you." Scarlon said as he looked towards me. "So what happened here?" I told him what had happened. "So your teacher did him in? Well, I guess if anyone here had a right to do it, he was the one."

"The death will be ruled as self defence, but why would Ethan Krolgos killing Miles be fitting?" Officer Jones asked.

"Because his sister was one of Miles's countless victims over the ages." Scarlon said.

"Ah. I suppose it is in this evening. Good evening." Officer Jones tipped his hat before returning to the van to help his partner carry Mishsum's body inside.

Vanessa looked over once the van drove off. "You took longer than expected."

Scarlon looked away. "I apologize, sis. I had to explain everything to the museum curator and helped make the shreds of Mishsum's forculux as presentable as possible."

"Understandable." She said. "Though to think it was found in the local museum. We got lucky today."

"We did." Scarlon remarked as he looked at Emma and the other band members. "How are all of you doing?"

"Pretty well, considering." Edgar said. "But to think Miles was so strong!"

"Are you surprised, Edgar?" Emma asked. "Miles did kill two other band members, after all. While there's no way to heal the damage he caused over the ages, at least it's over and we survived."

Edgar nodded. "True. Though as glad as I am to be alive after Miles's rampage, what are we going to do now? I'm sure the remaining shows will have to be cancelled while the police investigate this incident, but we need to find a guitarist for future ones. Who wants to get within five feet of a band where three members have died in a few months? Even worse, when one of them was responsible for the other two."

"You have a point." Emma replied.

Scarlon looked down for a few moments. "I might have a temporary fix if at least one member of the band meets up with me tomorrow morning."

A look of surprise appeared on Emma's face. "Oh? You're not saying you can perform, can you?"

Scarlon shook his head. "Not a chance. The only type of instruments I'm almost decent with are traditional flutes. But I do know an excellent guitarist who I hear is performing in town this week."

Emma grinned. "Perfect. Then I'll meet up with you tomorrow if it's okay with the others."

Edgar nodded. "It's alright with me. You're a good judge at these sorts of things, Emma."

"Then it's settled." Emma said as she looked at us. "Where should we meet up?"

"Qualing Square." Scarlon said.


I walked with Scarlon and Vanessa to Qualing Square about an hour after sunrise the next day. Qualing is a market square in an older part of town and is almost always busy. The morning we went there was no exception. Emma ran up a few minutes later, almost out of breath by the time she reached us.

"This is a long way to come so early in the morning, Scarlon. It'd better be worth it!" She shouted.

"It is. Now come with me." We followed him to a street filled with restaurants a few blocks away and found a young man from the northern part of Jagerfell with tanned skin standing in front of one, playing a guitar for a small crowd gathered around him. "There he is. Englas Milgron."

Emma glared at Scarlon as she looked between him and the performer. "A street performer? You can't be serious."

He smirked. "Wait until you see his performance for awhile. Besides, the late Mishsum was a street performer at some times, and served in the courts of monarchs during others. Englas is the same way. Think of him as Mishsum's polar opposite."

"Didn't Vanessa mention a someone named Englas yesterday?" I asked.

"Yep. The same Englas you see right now." He said as we sat down at a table outside of a cafe and had some breakfast while watching Englas perform. To say I was impressed was an understatement. His skill with the guitar was on par with Mishsum, if not better. He glanced at us a few times with a smile while he performed, and approached us once the crowd cleared out.

"You two have changed appearance since I last saw you, but I'd recognize those eyes anywhere." Englas said, shaking hand with both of the twins as he sat down and set his guitar down. "How are you doing, old friends? I had no idea you were living in Yarlforr County, I would've dropped by. How long has it been since we've seen each other?"

Vanessa looked up for a moment. "About a hundred and fifty years and two months."

Englas chuckled. "Has it really been so long?"

Emma groaned. "Oh no. Another immortal?"

"What?" Englas asked as he looked at her. "Oh. You're the local girl who took over as lead singer for the Tourist of the Bards. Emma Ferlgriz, right?"

She nodded. "At your service, Englas. I took over after a guitarist named Miles killed the last lead singer, and he turned out to be a murderous immortal named Mishsum."

Englas looked away in disgust. "Oh yes. Him."

Scarlon looked over. "You knew of him, Englas?"

"Oh yes. He was something of a dark legend among my people, though I didn't believe them until I saw him pop up in some photographs taken centuries apart." He said as he looked at Emma. "I've been keeping tabs on the Bards ever since I saw a photo with him in it. Imagine my surprise when I learned you'd be performing here during my stay here." He sighed. "Though he's a fool to allow himself to be photographed so often. He's bound to be recognized!"

"Not a problem anymore." I began. "He was killed last night by one of our teachers, Ethan Krolgos, who recognized him in a photograph as the man who killed his sister decades ago."

Englas grinned. "Good riddance. But if he's dead, it means his...vessel has been destroyed." He said as he looked at Scarlon. "Did you have a hand in this?"

Scarlon nodded as he put a hand on my shoulder. "We found it in an exhibit at the local museum. My pupil here destroyed it."

"Ah. I've seen lots of artifacts from my era there, so I'm not surprised. Generations of musicians to come will be grateful." Englas said. "So what brings all of you out here this morning?"

"The band needs a new guitarist." Emma said.

"Ah." Englas looked at Scarlon. "So you brought her here to see if I could help?"

"Pretty much." Scarlon answered.

"I see." Englas said as he faced Emma. "I'l admit I've found myself enjoying your music, even if some of it came from...him. I'd be more than happy to join the Bards if you'll have me since I could use a nice break from street performing, but I'm afraid I've never used any of the electric instruments you use. Though I've been meaning to try them for decades."

"Not a problem." Emma said. "I'll have Edgar, the bassist, help bring you up to speed. Besides, how old are you?"

"I don't have an exact age since exact records were hard to come by in my time unless you were royalty, but I'm about sixty years younger than Mishsum was, which isn't a lot in immortal terms." Englas replied.

"I guess it wouldn't be." Emma admitted. "Though if you're that old, I'm sure you've changed instruments many times since the guitar didn't exist back then, did it?"

Englas shook his head. "Not as you know it."

"Then I'm sure you're a fast learner with this stuff."

Englas grinned. "I can be."

"Perfect." Emma said as she shook Englas's hand. "Then welcome to the Bards."

"Thanks." He said. "Though I have one condition: to rarely be photographed or filmed. You have no idea how difficult life can be for immortals with those around, not counting those who can change their forms." He remarked as he glared at the twins.

Scarlon chuckled. "I guess they would, though Vanessa and I aren't immortal."

"Fair enough." Englas said as he looked at Emma. "Are my terms acceptable?"

She nodded. "We'll do our best. You'll be a welcome addition to the band. Englas, right?"

"Yes. Englas Milgron, a rough translation of my original name which I've used for ages." He replied.

Emma stared at him. "You won't go psychotic like Mishsum, will you?"

"Never going to happen. Not all immortals are killers." Englas said.

"Good to hear." Emma said as she got up. "I have to get going, but I'll try to send you a meeting place later so I can introduce you to the band."

"Works for me." Englas said as he wrote something down on a piece of paper and handed it to her. "Here's my contact info."

"Thanks. See you later. Thanks for bringing me out here today, Scarlon." She said as she ran off. Englas then looked at me.

"So you're the latest pupil of the Demalgos? You must be something to keep up with them." Englas laughed as he patted me on the back.

"I try my best." I replied.

Englas grinned as he glanced at my ears. "I'm sure, though you'd still have to be something since I could never perform magic on their level. I only learned the bare minimum for...you know. Anyway, I'm sure I'll be seeing much of you for some time to come since you seem to be of elf blood."

"I am." I said as I held my hand out. "I'm Colin Renaud."

"As in the ancient House of Renaud?" he asked as we shook hands. I nodded. "Then it's a special pleasure to meet you, Colin. I once had the honor of being a court bard for a few branches of your family for almost a millennium. I always got along well with them."

"You did?" I asked.

He nodded. "I'd love to talk with you about your great ancestors, but not when we're in the open like this." Englas said as he picked his guitar up. "I'm sure we'll meet again, so take care. All of you." He got up and walked down the street, disappearing into the crowd.


"Your friend Englas seems to be an interesting guy." I remarked as I walked back to the mansion with the twins.

"He is." Vanessa said. "You'll see him again sooner or later."

"Good to hear." I said. "So he's immortal too?"

Scarlon nodded. "The same method as Mishsum."

"Ah. Then he has one of those forculux things?" I asked as the mansion came into view.

"He does indeed. It's kept in a secure location known only to him and the two of us." He pointed to himself and Vanessa.

"Then he killed someone early in his life?" I asked.

"I regret to say he did." Scarlon said. "You dabble in ancient myths. Do you know any from the Uturith lands?"

"I know a few." I replied.

"Is 'The Unstoppable Warrior of Atorin' one of them?" Scarlon asked.

"Yes, but--wait. Are you saying Englas is the warrior in the story?"

"Sort of. It's a loose interpretation of his early life. According to him, and I just have his word to go on since I was nowhere close to being born yet, he was drafted into Atorin's military during a time of constant warfare and created a forculux after a few battles as a means of survival from an instrument he played as a boy." Scarlon said.

"Sounds fair enough." I said.

"Perhaps, though as you may know from the story, he found himself enjoying killing a little too much since he participated in numerous battles without having to fear death. So he got rid of all of his weapons as soon as the conflicts were over and devoted the rest of his life to music, performing all over the world."

"Ah." I said. "Though you said according to him?"

"Yes, though some details like the draft and an unstoppable warrior are backed up by numerous surviving records." Scarlon said.

"Then I guess I can accept his claims." I said. "Think he'll do well with Emma's band?"

Scarlon smiled. "I think he will. Now come on. It's time for your lessons."

I sighed. "Alright. Though I guess I could go for some normal lessons after dealing with Mishsum."


The whole matter was brought to a satisfactory end. As Officer Jones said, Mr. Krolgos wasn't charged for Mishsum's death since he acted in self-defence. Englas became an official member of the Tourists of the Bards abd started performing with them a few weeks after the incident. He still performs with them, and we get free tickets to any of their performances along with personal invitations whenever they perform in town. Scarlon keeps telling them this isn't necessary since Emma paid a decent sum for his services and refused his offer to deduct the cost of the passes, but none of us mind much since we've supported the band in many ways since, and have enjoyed seeing them perform while travelling.

Things even ended well for Mishsum, or at least for his body since Scarlon tells me the gods of his people are going to be tormenting his spirit for some time to come. His body was claimed by a group of scholars who have been excavating parts of his kingdom for some time, and had him buried in a burial ground used during his time in accordance with the rites of his people. According to Englas, who supervised the burial as the only known living person who was around close Mishsum's time, they did a good job. I wish I could say I never encountered a forculux again, but I did, and I'm sure I'll come across more in the future. Those accounts are for another day.

0