The Rogue Hunters
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scarlon are I were sitting around the desk in Welgorlinz Manor's living room during a quiet day. I looked up from a spellbook I was studying while Scarlon was focused on his tablet. "Anything interesting?"

"Nothing yet, but it's too soon to tell." Scarlon looked up as the doorbell rang a few minutes later. "Can you get that, Colin?"

"Of course." I answered the door and saw a large middle-aged man standing outside. He had long brownish-gray hair and a short beard. Accompanying him was a woman around the same age with grayish-black hair going down to her shoulders. Both were human. "Hello. How can I help you?"

The man stared at me and spoke in a commanding voice. "Is the master of the house available?"

I nodded. "He is."

"Then bring us to him." He barked.

"Right this way." I led them to the living room.

Scarlon glanced up from his tablet as we came in. "Huh. I wasn't expecting any visitors, today." He put the tablet aside and faced our guests. "What can I do for you?"

"Are you the master of the house?" the woman asked in a voice almost as commanding as the man's.

Scarlon nodded. "One of them, anyway. And the only one present at the moment."

"Then you can grant permission for us to search for something on the property." The man said.

"Anything in particular, sir?" Scarlon asked. "Welgorlinz Manor holds many secrets."

"My wife and I dabble in the occult, as we hear you do as well." The man began. "Our research led us to old maps of Yarlforr County which indicate something we're looking for is under the mansion. If you could let us search the lower flo–"

Scarlon put his hand up. "Not a chance."

The woman glared at him. "Pardon me, young man?"

"Visitors, first-time visitors, in particular, have never been allowed on the lower levels in the manor's history, and I follow that tradition." Scarlon stated.

The man scoffed. "Aren't you interested in learning the secrets of this house?"

"You bet I am, though I already know most of them." Scarlon replied.

"M...most of them?" the man stammered. "But surely there are some mysteries left."

Scarlon returned their glares. "A few, but the one I think you're here for isn't one of them."

The woman gave a slight laugh. "You seem confident, young man. Tell us what you think we're searching for, then."

"The portal to the demon realm."

Our visitors looked at my teacher in surprise as the woman took a few steps back. "You know of it?"

"Of course I do." Scarlon began. "Think an occult enthusiast and supernatural investigator could own a centuries-old manor with a portal without knowing about it?"

"Wait. Investigator?" the man asked. "Our information said you were some real estate guy who just dabbles in occult studies."

Scarlon grinned. "A good way to balance things, isn't it? Real estate and investigating the supernatural often cross paths, and it helps keep potential sources of danger and trouble out of the wrong hands. The portal, for instance."

"We know its dangers. Now if you'll just let us in–"

Scarlon cut in before the man could finish. "Didn't I already tell you visitors are barred from the lower levels? Even if they weren't, I still wouldn't let you near the portal without a good reason for admittance to the demon realm."

The woman scoffed. "Good reason? Demons don't need one for existing."

Scarlon sighed. "Not good enough. Did a demon do something to you?"

"Well..." The man stammered while his wife muttered, "You see..."

Scarlon shook his head. "You're just a pair of demon hunters, aren't you?"

"What of it, boy?" the man shouted "We're doing the world a service by hunting those vermin, and we'd appreciate it if you let us get to their world to destroy all of them."

"A demon causing trouble on Earlyog is one thing, but entering their world with slaughter on your mind is another." Scarlon said.

"'Slaughter.' I call it pest extermination." The woman answered.

The man moved closer to the desk. "Now step aside and lead us to the portal."

"You'll never get to this one." Scarlon said.

"We'll see about that, kid! We'll search this entire mansion if we have to." The woman rushed toward a hallway. "With me, Jim!"

The man followed her to the hallway only for both of them to collide with an invisible wall. "What sorcery is this?!"

Scarlon laughed. "Exactly what you said. Some magic I applied long ago. Did you think I'd be enough of a fool to leave a demon realm portal out in the open? To say nothing of the rare and valuable artifacts kept here."

The hunters stared at him.

"You're going to let us through, kid!" Jim barked.

Scarlon shrugged. "I'm tired of repeating myself to the pair of you."

"Then we'll make you. Nobody who stands in our way lives long." The woman said.

They rushed toward the desk and Jim swung at me. I only had just enough time to duck and grab his arm while the demon hunter's partner took out a gun which Scarlon knocked aside with a magic blast.

The huntress clutched her arm as she recoiled. "You must be demons to fight like that and defend those vermin!"

Scarlon grabbed her arm along with Jim's. "Colin isn't, though I have a slight connection to them several generations back. However, my heritage is irrelevant to my views on life. All living creatures, even demons, are sacred to me."

I followed Scarlon as he dragged the couple down the hall.

Jim writhed about in Scarlon's grip. "Why let us live, demon?"

"One, I'm only a distant descendant of one, two, didn't I just say all life is sacred? Three, while both of you crossed a fine line by attacking us, I don't allow killing in my home if I can help it. Lingering ghosts are a nuisance." Scarlon tossed the couple out the front door. "I'll give you one warning, Jim and Heather Sergrid."

The woman stared at him. "How do you–"

"I keep tabs on demon hunting groups," Scarlon began. "and news of your actions have been making the rounds in recent months. I knew who you were as soon as you mentioned Jim's name."

Jim spat. "What's your warning, demonspawn?"

"If you ever set foot on these grounds again or if I hear of you approaching other demon realm portals, consider your lives forfeit." Scarlon raised his hand as an orange glow surrounded it. "Do I make myself clear?"

The Sergrids scrambled to their feet. "Perfectly." Jim stammered.

"Yes." Heather said at the same time.

Scarlon pointed down the path. "Then get out of here, and hope we never meet again."

"Fat chance. You haven't heard the last of the Sergrid clan!" Jim barked as they ran off.

"Your choice." Scarlon shouted after them. He turned to me once they were out of sight. "Can't say I didn't warn them. Come, Colin."

I followed him back to the living room. "Who were those guys?"

"A pair of demon hunters with murderous intentions."

"And were after a portal?"

Scarlon nodded as he motioned toward the hallway leading to the basement. "The one down there, but don't worry. They can't use that one."

He sat behind the desk and I did the same. "I gathered, but where does the portal lead?"

"The demon realm."

I gasped. "Demon realm? Like the portal made during the summoning incident?"

"Kind of." Scarlon replied. "The portals lead to the same world, but they work in different ways."

"How so? Or is this a little off-topic for our lessons?"

Scarlon shook his head. "Not at all. Your curiosity is only natural after everything you just witnessed, and we would've gotten to lessons on the demon realm soon enough." He glanced down the hall and then back at me. "Summoning portals can only be opened from here, not from the demon realm, and someone looking to cross realms with one has to make some preparations while also being known in the place they're trying to get to. As a result, summoning portals can lead to any spot between the demon realm as needed. Though isolated places like that forest near here work better to avoid drawing unwanted attention."

"Like us?"

Scarlon smirked and nodded. "Or at least less unwanted attention since the preparations for a summoning portal leaves a bit of a trail on both sides, one of the main problems with those types of portals."

"And the other type?" I asked.

"The others are permanent portals connecting two fixed spots between our worlds emerging naturally or, in rare circumstances, from a neglected summoning portal." Scarlon explained.

"So the portal in the basement will always lead here?" I asked.

"From the demon realm, yes. It leads to a castle from here."

"I think I get it." I glared at my teacher. "I'm guessing you happening to own a mansion with such a portal isn't a coincidence?"

"Sort of." Scarlon said. "The portal had nothing to do with the Welgorlinz Manor making its way into my hands, but it's the main reason why I'll never sell it."

"To keep an eye on it?"

Scarlon nodded. "You'd better believe all the known permanent portals are watched on both sides."

"I would hope so." I glanced down the hallway. "So has a demon ever passed through that one?"

"Not in over a century, at least without an invitation from me. I happened to be staying here last time an uninvited guest showed up, so he didn't last long." He pointed to his sword on the wall, and I nodded in understanding. "Though I've used it a few times, such as when I retrieved your classmate from the demon realm."

"So that's how you got him."

"Yep. By the way, how've they been doing?" Scarlon asked.

"Akiyomi says her grandfather's keeping a close eye on them, though they've been behaving." I answered.

"Good." He smirked. "I expected nothing less from Toyoshi."

"Not from what you describe." I said. "Anyway, who was that couple?"

"Jim and Heather Sergrid, a pair of demon hunters who were kicked out of the Jaquefridus Organization, a prominent hunting group, for cruel and aggressive tactics, killing demons before they could do anything, and almost killing a fellow member who led a lost child demon back home." Scarlon explained.

"What a charming couple." I sighed before glancing in the direction of the basement. "So they're trying to eliminate demons at the source?"

"Looks that way." Scarlon began. "They'll never succeed, but can cause incalculable damage before some demon takes them down. I'm afraid we haven't seen the last of them, but we can worry about it later."

"Think they'll come back here?"

Scarlon shook his head. "There are a few more portals on the Brogaibuin continent, so I doubt they're that foolish. But you never know. "

"Any near here?" I asked.

"The closest portal is hundreds of miles from here, but I'll keep tabs on them. If the Sergrids make a move, we'll be there." He picked up his tablet. "I'll contact the Jaquefridus Organization about this and then head out back."

"I'll be waiting there." I headed out to the back and Scarlon follows a few minutes later. He led me through some combat drills before moving on to some lessons.

* * *

A few days passed after the unannounced visit and I was on my way home since lessons were done for the week. I was only a short distance from the school when I received a call and answered upon seeing it was from Scarlon.

"I know you're supposed to head home today, but think you can swing by?"

"Did something happen?" I asked, noticing his tone seemed rushed.

"I'll explain when you arrive."

* * *

I ran to the manor and found Scarlon waiting in the entrance hall with his sword attached to his belt. "What's going on?"

"Our friends the Sergrids are worse than I thought. They raided a temple where a group of monks keep watch over one of the portals."

I raised an eyebrow as we walked down the hallway. "Were they warned about these potential visitors?"

He nodded. "I warned the people guarding all known portals on this continent, both on this side and in the demon realm, but I underestimated how far those two would go."

"Why?"

"They..." He hesitated for a moment. "They killed many of the monks guarding the portal and wounded the head of the order, an old and dear friend."

"Oh." I looked up. "Sorry to hear that."

"Thank you, Colin." Scarlon looked at the door ahead of us. "Fortunately, though it'll take a long time to recover, he'll survive." He tightened his grip on his sword. "But the Sergrids have sealed their fates with this act."

He led me to a room in the basement of the manor where a translucent circle was contained in an archway.

I was reminded of the summoning portal, but the one before me looked a little different. "Wow! Quite an impressive sight."

Scarlon nodded. "It sure is, my student. I don't know what it is about portals between worlds. Now let's go in."

I nodded as we started walking toward the portal, but Scarlon stopped and reached into his coat.

"Oh. You might want this." He slipped a wand over to Colin.

"You think?" I remarked as I put it in my pocket.

Scarlon grinned. "Of course. And don't worry about returning it this time."

"Are you saying–"

Scarlon nodded. "The wand's yours."

I stood there in silence for a moment. "I...I don't know what to say."

He pat me on the shoulder. "Consider it a reward for being an excellent student. Anyway, let's get going."

I nodded as I followed Scarlon through the portal and looked around the room once we reached the other side. "Where are we?"

"We're in Dralvol Castle, home of Prince Borglos." He answered as two guards with purplish skin and horns entered the room and pointed spears at us.

Another figure looking a bit younger than the guards and dressed in regal garb walked into the room between them as they parted. He smiled as he looked from Scarlon to the guards. "Don't attack. They're friends."

The guards nodded and lower the spears as the younger demon went up to us.

"Your arrival was expected ever since I got your message, Scarlon, but not this soon."

Scarlon looked down. "Those monsters moved faster than I was anticipating, Borglos. The Sergrids attacked Jarshwarm Temple, killed many monks there, and used the portal."

Borglos nodded as he led us through the halls of the castle with the guards following from behind. "When did they get in?"

"Can't have been more than a few hours ago." Scarlon answered.

"Then there's a chance to stop them before they do any serious harm." Borglos glanced at me. "Who's the elf boy?"

"Colin Renaud, my latest pupil." Scarlon stated.

The prince smiled and gave a light bow as we approached a door. "A pleasure to meet you, Colin. Any friend of the Demalgo family is a friend of mine."

"Thank you. Prince Borglos, right?" I asked.

"Correct. Crown prince of the Dralvol Kingdom." The prince led us into a room where many maps were scattered about the walls and tables.

I turned to Scarlon. "The Dralvol Kingdom?"

"One of the seven main kingdoms in this part of the Demon Realm." He explained.

"I see."

Borglos glanced back at Scarlon. "Your pupil doesn't know much about us, then?"

"Not yet." Scarlon answered. "The only demons he's met so far were the ones involved in that incident a little while ago."

Borglos nodded as he lay a map down on a large table. "Prince Yogrum is a bad first experience. Rest assured, Colin, most demons aren't like that fool of a lesser prince."

"I gathered." I paused for a moment. "There isn't a chance of running into him, is there?"

None. He's a prince of Xgrenth, a small principality which lies here," Borglos pointed to the northeastern corner of the map. "and we're here." He indicated a section close to the west side of the map. "I'll be honored to give you a proper tour when we have more time."

"We'll take you up on the offer one day, but that lesson's a long way off." Scarlon said.

The prince looked down. "Pity."

I nodded as I noticed a few circles on the map, including one around a castle in the section we were in. "I'm guessing the circles represent portals?"

"You catch on quick." He put a finger on the circle around the castle. This is the one you came through, and this is the one those hunters used." He pointed to a circle in another section of the map with a field and a few villages.

I looked at the spot. "Looks far."

"Because it is." Borglos said.

"Then how do we get there before those guys can do anything?"

Scarlon smirked. "You might be able to guess, Colin."

The prince nodded as he drew a light circle around the portal marking. "If they've only been here a few hours, this is the farthest they could've gone in any direction."

Scarlon nods as he peered over. "I doubt they've gotten so far."

"Same, though we must hurry if we want to limit the damage they can cause." The prince led us out of the room.

I thought about ways to cover such a distance. "The fastest way I know of to get there is flight."

"Correct. And flight is how we'll use." The prince took us to an enclosed field behind the castle where a large winged bat-like creature was resting. "Colin Renaud, meet Seringlas of the Krasoz."

Scarlon eyes widened as he looked at the creature. "Seringlas? The same one I–"

The prince smiled. "Yes. The one you rescued so many ages ago."

I raised an eyebrow as I faced Scarlon. "You–"

"Long story, and one we don't have time for." He cut in. "But he can get within range of those two in less than an hour. Preferably before they reach a settlement, or at least limit the damage."

"We'll do our best." Borglos climbed on the creature's back and it stared at Scarlon and me. It recoiled as we approached and started raising a claw when Scarlon stroked it behind the ears.

"Wonderful to see you again, old friend." He began. "I know many centuries have passed and I look quite different, but it's me. Think you can help my pupil and me out?" The creature stared at Scarlon for a moment before lying down so we could hop on. He looked back at me as Seringlas rose. "Hold on tight, Colin. Seringlas is the fastest Krasoz I know."

I nodded as Borglos took the reins.

* * *

I held on tight to some reins as Seringlas flew through the skies of the demon realm, glancing down at the numerous cities along with the few fortifications we soared over. "Quite an amazing view from up here."

Borglos looked back for a moment. "Isn't it? This realm almost matches yours when it comes to amazing sights."

"I'll say." I said. "Anyway, how close are we?"

"Not long, now." The prince pulled back the reins and Seringlas slowed down.

"Then be prepared, everyone." Scarlon said.

I scanned the surface of the demon realm as we descended. As a city comes into view below, I could just make out a couple of human outlines attacking some demons and pointed to them. "Guys, I think I found them."

Scarlon looked over my shoulder. "Good eye, my pupil." He muttered something in a strange language which I now think translated into something along the lines of 'a moment too late' before turning to Prince Borglos. "They're right below us."

Prince Borglos nodded as he landed Seringlas just outside the city. We dismounted and rushed inside, the bodies of a few demons making a trail of sorts leading us to Jim and Heather near the town square.

Scarlon placed a hand on his sword as the latter slew a demon. "The pair of you have gone far enough."

Borglos stepped in front of him. "Jim and Heather Sergrid, under the authority of my mother, Queen Azaila of the Dralvol Kingdom, you are hereby charged with mass murder."

Jim glared at us. "Should've known you'd show up, but what murder is there outside of a bunch of demons?"

"I can't even begin with what's wrong with that statement." Scarlon drew his sword. "You're also charged with the murder of those monks at Jarshwarm Temple on Earlyog."

"Demon supporters are little better to us." Heather growled. "Aiding in attacks on our world."

Scarlon looked at them with a fury I'd only seen on rare occasions before and since. "Aiding?! Most guard the portals to prevent attacks like this on either side."

"Such attacks are the responsibility of the beings who commit them." Borglos looked around. "Though the vilest of this realm's inhabitants would draw the line at slaughter like this."

"Spare us the jabber." Heather was about to run a sword through a child demon when Scarlon fired a blast to disarm her, giving the demon a chance to flee. "Filthy demon sorcerer!"

Borglos glared at the couple. "Most demon sorcerers I know aren't anywhere close to Scarlon's level, but that's rich coming from a pair who launched an unprovoked attack."

Jim looked at the prince. "Unprovoked, you demon sl–"

"Nobody living in this city has left the demon realm in the past hundred years, let alone harm anyone on your planet." Borglos cut in. "The sentence for murder on this scale is death."

"Of course it is, demon. I'd expect nothing else from your kind." Jim prepared to shoot a passing demon, but I fired a quick blast to send the gun flying out of his hand. The remaining demons in the area got clear before either of the Sergrids could react, and Scarlon waved a hand about. A barrier surrounded the town square and everything behind it once he was done.

"Poor choice, Sergrids." He stepped through the barrier. "I let you leave my sight alive before with a warning about approaching other portals." Scarlon looked about the square in disgust. "Your lives are forfeit both here and on Earlyog after your massacre today." He drew his sword as I grabbed my knife while Borglos conjured up an axe.

"We're not going down without a fight. I could use a good challenge, anyway." Jim picked his gun back up as Heather tried to leave the area only to run into the barrier.

"Fine. You leave us no choice." She picked up her sword and approached.

"Now follow me." Scarlon started leading everyone out of the city. "If anyone's foolish enough to attack us from behind, it'll be their final act." The warning must've been enough to keep the couple from trying anything since we left the city without incident.

Borglos faced the Sergrids once we were a safe distance from the city. "I'll give you one more chance to come quietly."

The Sergrids glared at him as Heather spat. "We'll never submit to a demon."

"Then you've sealed your fates." Borglos lamented.

"No. Yours is sealed along with the demon supporters," Jim turned to Scarlon and me. "along with others of your ilk."

"Bold words for a pair of humans who killed more people in one day than many of the worst demons do in a lifetime." Scarlon raised his sword. "Ending a life never brings joy to me. Quite the opposite, but this can't continue. Now let's–"

Jim ran and shot at him before he could finish his sentence, though Scarlon was quick to deflect the attack. "So you aren't all talk after all, boy."

"Nope. I have centuries of experience dealing with people like you." Scarlon blocked Jim's attacks as Heather drew her sword and advanced toward me.

"You won't live to see another day, elf brat!" she shouted.

I dodged several sword slashes along with deflecting the occasional stray shot from Jim's gun until our struggle moved us far enough away from Scarlon and Jim.

"Not bad, kid." She began. "That demon defender must know a thing or two. It'll make killing you more satisfying."

I slashed Heather across the arm a few times while countering the onslaught of attacks, looking back at the first opportunity and noticing how we were drawing near to the edge of a cliff. Heather must've noticed as well since her attacks got more aggressive and focused on pushing me toward the edge.

"See if magic can save you at the bottom of the cliff!" She moved to strike and I swung my knife up to perform a successful block, but the force of the blow sent the knife flying to the ground beside me. As I was about to reach for it, Heather swung her sword down out of the corner of my eye and without thinking, I clutched the wand in my pocket and raised my other hand while thinking of the incantation for a simple magic blast which soared through the air. Heather saw the attack a moment too late right before it knocked her off the cliff with a scream.

"Heather!!" Jim shrieked as I retrieved my knife seconds before a shot grazed his arm from behind. I bends down while clutching it as Jim's shadow loomed over me. "Your luck's run out, elf." He raised his gun. "You'll pay for Heather's death."

Jim gave a sudden gulp as his finger touched the trigger before lurching forward and collapsing on the ground beside me.

Scarlon stood above Jim's lifeless form with his sword drawn, shaking his head. "I warned them about attacking either of us from behind."

"You did, and I know you'll always follow through with it." Scarlon and I looked back as Borglos went up to us.

"I have to in our line of work, Borglos." Scarlon began. "It makes me a difficult target."

"True." The prince looked at the ground along with the bottom of the cliff. "Pity we couldn't capture them alive."

"Yeah." Scarlon sighed. "While I prefer it most of the time, I knew it wasn't going to happen here from the start since the Sergrids were facing execution for murdering those monks."

I nodded in understanding. "What happens now?"

"We return to our world and contact the Jaquefridus Organization to take things from there." Scarlon answered.

"And I'll send a crew to recover the bodies and bring them to the castle." Borglos said.

Scarlon looked up. "Thank you, Borglos."

"Any time, old friend."

We climbed on Seringlas's back and returned to the castle.

* * *

Though my injuries weren't serious, a healer in the castle treated them with Scarlon's assistance. True to the prince's word, the bodies of the Sergrids were brought to the portal in specially prepared bags before the day was out.

"I see your people are as efficient as ever, Borglos." Scarlon remarked.

"You know us, Scarlon. Always striving for excellence."

Scarlon grinned. "Some things never change, do they? Though it's for the best in this case." He grabbed both bags and approached the portal. "Thanks for everything, Borglos." He looked at me. "Colin?" I went up to him. "We'll come back soon, and preferably under better terms."

"I'd like that very much." The prince began. "Seringlas, too."

Scarlon nodded. "I agree."

"Yeah. I'd love to see this place again." I said, and I meant it.

"Excellent. I look forward to your next visit." Borglos replied.

"Until our next meeting, Borglos. May the gods ever favor you." Scarlon replied.

"And you, Scarlon."

With that, we stepped through the portal.

* * *

A few days passed and I greeted a visitor at the door to the manor, a man in his thirties with a faint resemblance to Jim Sergrid.

"Is this Welgorlinz Manor, young man?" he asked. "I'm here on important business."

"Right this way." I led the way to the living room and brought him to the desk.

Scarlon looked up from a stack of documents. "You must be the Jaquefridus Organization representative. We've been expecting you."

"I am. William Sergrid at your service." The man replied.

"Scarlon Demalgo at yours." They shook hands as Scarlon motioned for everyone to take a seat. "A pleasure to meet you, which is more than I can say for other Sergrids I've met this week. No offense to the rest of the Sergrid family."

"None taken." Mr. Sergrid began. "On behalf of the Jaquefridus Organization and my family, I apologize for the trouble my uncle and his wife caused you both here and in the Demon Realm. No condolences can make up for the lives they took on either side."

"No. Their actions will never be justified." Scarlon left and returned with the body bags. "I regret my inability to bring them back alive, though they wouldn't have lived much longer in any case."

Mr. Sergrid shook his head. "Not when the penalty for mass murder just about everywhere is execution." He glanced at the bags. "Though it's more than my uncle ever deserved, I'll take the bodies and make the proper burial arrangements. Our records say the Demalgos are good people, and I'm glad to see it's true."

"Yes. We try to stay on decent terms with groups like the Jaquefridus Organization since we have similar goals." Scarlon said.

"Indeed." Mr. Sergrid said. "And fighting among demon hunters is never a good thing. Our profession is dangerous enough as it is."

Scarlon nodded. "Such fighting often leads to wars between various groups, many ignored threats, and numerous dead hunters. I've seen it enough times in the last few centuries, and I'd rather never see it again."

"Agreed. Just one question for my own curiosity. How have you lived for centuries and still look so young?" Mr. Sergrid asked. "I hope it isn't a demon pact or anything."

"Nothing of the sort. My species just has a long lifespan." Scarlon stated.

"Ah. Then are you from the demon realm?"

Scarlon shook his head. "Some distant ancestors were from parts of it connected to distant planets, but nobody in my immediate family is."

"Good enough for me."

"Take care, William Sergrid." Scarlon said.

"Of course." Mr. Sergrid began. "Best wishes to you as long as you remain on Earlyog's side."

"Not a problem since this planet is under my protection, and always will be."

Mr. Sergrid picked up the bags. "Then may our paths cross again one day. If your knowledge is as deep as the hunters of old say, we'll have need of it sooner or later."

"I wouldn't be surprised. May the gods ever favor you, Mr. Sergrid." Scarlon turned to me once Mr. Sergrid left with the bodies. "You did well, Colin. I was a little worried during your struggle with Heather, but you pulled through."

"Thanks. The wand you gave me was of great assistance." I replied.

He smirked. "I thought it would, though your skill helped more than anything."

"I guess. Along with those lessons you gave me some time ago on thinking spells as opposed to speaking them."

Scarlon nodded. "Which you struggled with for a while. But then, so did I a long time ago."

I looked up in astonishment. "Really?"

"Yeah. Though as I'm sure you've learned by now, time in the field does wonders."

"Oh yes." I admitted.

"Since you have a good grasp on the subject now, how about some more advanced lessons on it?" he asked.

"Works for me." I replied. "At least if we don't try any complicated spells."

"Not a problem. Trying to work out complex spells requiring precision in your head is a bad idea at your level. Those are difficult enough as it is. We'll keep things simple."

"Thanks. I breathed a sigh of relief before following Scarlon to another room to begin a lesson.

0