Trouble at the Carnival
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Greetings, my friend.

A little while ago you asked if the last survivor of the Kosenka family ever crossed my path after the incident in the manor. She did, and here’s the account of that encounter.


 I was passing through a hallway leading to my first class of the day when one of my friends, Nigel, ran up to me.

“Hey, Colin.”

I looked up and smiled. “Morning Nigel. Do anything interesting this weekend?”

“Eh. Nothing special,” he sighed as we walked down the hallway. “You?”

“Same. Nothing out of the ordinary.” My statement wasn’t far off. The last few weeks had been fairly uneventful since I only had my lessons with Scarlon and no serious investigations. Just some smaller and mundane ones here and there, at least to us.

“Have you seen the new transfer student, yet?” Nigel asked.

I shook my head. “I heard we were getting one in our grade, but I haven’t seen them.”

“I just saw her in the hall a little while ago.”

“Her?” I asked.

“Yeah. I think her name’s Felicity.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Felicity?”

“Yep. Why? Does the name mean something to you?”

“Just…an old memory,” I answered.

“I think I understand,” Nigel said as we turned down a hallway, our first class just ahead.

I was about to go in, but Nigel pulled me back. “What is it, Nigel?”

“Though you’d like to see the new girl. She’s right over there.” Nigel pointed and I followed his gaze, spotting a girl with long black hair and wearing a shirt and skirt of a similar color. She was talking with a few people and when she turned around to enter the classroom across the hall, my eyes widened upon seeing the all too familiar face of Felicity Kosenka and having a brief remembrance of my visit to the Kosenka mansion.

“What is it, Colin?” Nigel inquired, bringing me back to the present. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

I glared at him. “Am I really the best person to use that expression with?”

Nigel paused, knowing a little about my encounters with the supernatural. “Probably not.”

“But at the same time, you aren’t far off,” I replied as we headed to class and took our seats near the back.

“How so?”

“I’ll explain later.” I was wrapped in my thoughts while jotting down some notes for class, more than a little worried. “I knew one member of the Kosenka family survived, but running into her now? And here of all places?” I muttered to myself, knowing I’d have to confront Felicity before the day was out.


She wasn’t in any of my morning classes, but I did see her in the lunch room with a small lunch. My gaze was on the metal bottle she carried with her, almost certain about what was in it. Elliot, who was sitting across from me, noticed my gaze.

“You seem interested in the new girl, Colin,” he commented. “Though come to think of it, I don’t recall seeing you interested in girls often unless they’re involved with one of your cases.”

“You’re always observant, Elliot.”

Elliot stared at me. “You know her from one of your cases, don’t you?”

I nodded. “Remember that mansion I told you about?”

“You mean the one with–” He paused as he looked at Felicity. “Are you saying she’s–”

“Yep.”

“But out in the day? Aren’t they supposed to avoid that?” Elliot asked.

“It’s recommended since they’re vulnerable while the sun’s out and have limited powers, but nothing’s stopping them from moving about by day.” I started on my lunch. “The question is why she’s here, and what’s pressing enough to be out in the daytime?”

Elliot grinned. “I’m sure you’ll tell me about it later.”

“Of course.” I glanced at my phone for a moment to check the time since vampires can only change their form at certain times of day. “It’s past noon, so I shouldn’t have much trouble.”

“If you say so,” Elliot said.


I sent a message to Scarlon about Felicity during one of my afternoon classes along with a quick picture I managed to take during lunch. Scarlon replied with, ‘Bring her here after school if you can, preferably by invitation. I’ve no doubt both of us want to know why she’s here and out when she’s at her weakest, no less.’ My mission became a little easier when I saw her in my final class of the day, outside of staying in the back of the room and doing all I could to avoid her gaze. I waited after the final bell rang for everyone to clear out before going up to her. “It’s been a while hasn’t it, Felicity?”

She flinched. “How can anyone here–” She turned around and gasped, an expression of terror on her face. “You!!” She picked up her bags. “Wh-what are you doing here?!”

“I’ve been a student here for a while,” I replied. “Now I’ll ask you the same question.”

“Uh…” She bolted from the room and I followed, chasing her through the halls and out the door to the field used for sports. She looked back on occasion and tried to keep her distance, but I caught up with her near a fence and cast a spell to place a few magic walls around her.

“Nowhere to run, Felicity,” I said as I approached her. “I know you can’t transform yet, otherwise you’d be long gone by now. So better stand down.”

Felicity glared. “Fine, Renaud boy. By the way, when did you move to this area?”

“About a month after that incident at the mansion,” I answered. “And no, the two events had nothing to do with each other.”

“What do you want then, kid?” she snarled.

“I already told you. To know why you’re here, Felicity,” I began. "My friend and mentor wants to know the same and has offered you an invitation.

Felicity sighed. “I guess I’ll go with you. Where does your friend live?”

“Welgorlinz Manor.”

Felicity looked a little relieved. “Your mentor at least has good taste. A nice old house with a history, and not some new one.”

“You don’t like new houses, then?” I asked while leading the way to the manor.

“Not especially, though I guess it comes from being used to older ones. They also tend to have more hiding places, which is great when hunters are about,” she said with a grin.

I smirked as we got within sight of the manor. “Then why are you out in the daytime?”

“I have my reasons,” she said. “But you of all people should know a Kosenka is never completely helpless, even in the daylight. Not that it helped the rest of my family much.”

I didn’t know to reply to that, so I was silent as I led Felicity up to the front door of the manor and found Scarlon sitting on a bench beside it to greet us.

“Welcome, Felicity Kosenka. Won’t you come in?” He got up and opened the door.

“Of course,” Felicity said.

She went to the door, but Scarlon put a hand up as she was about to cross the threshold. “Though this invitation is only valid until you leave the manor,” he said in a stern tone. She nodded as we followed him inside.

“You’re a wise one to say that, boy,” Felicity remarked. “Encounter vampires often?”

“Often enough to limit what they can do in my home, Felicity,” Scarlon said. “Same with all who come here, which is helpful in my experience as a supernatural investigator.”

Felicity glanced at me. “An investigator? Figures you’d take that line after rampaging through the Kosenka Manor.”

“Thank your brother’s invitation to lure him to his death,” Scarlon replied.

“So that’s what happened. Now the events of that night make sense.” She glared at him as we entered the living room. “But how do you know that? Who are you?”

“Scarlon Demalgo is the name I currently go by.”

She raised an eyebrow. You’re a Demalgo?" Her gaze fell upon the sword hanging above the desk and then back to Scarlon. “I never forget a sword once I see it. You must be Harold, who killed two of my siblings with that sword!”

“That was the identity I assumed for the Kosenka hunt.” Scarlon sat behind the desk and motioned for us to sit down. We did so, though Felicity was hesitant for a few moments.

“So this is your actual name and form?” she asked.

“No on both accounts, but my family’s used the Demalgo name for quite a long time.”

Her eyes widened. “Then you must be the one vampire legends refer to as the Great Hunter, who only kills those who attack him. No wonder you spared me.”

“Only because I knew how except for your mother, the Kosenkas didn’t choose to become vampires,” Scarlon explained. “Didn’t I say you’d leave unharmed that morning if you didn’t attack either of us?”

Felicity nodded. “And you kept your word.”

“I always try to,” Scarlon said.

“So I see.” Felicity looked up. “You don’t seem surprised to see me again. Did you already know I was the one who escaped?”

He nodded. “I didn’t know for sure, but I had my suspicions since if Amelia escaped, her actions would’ve attracted my attention some time ago.”

Felicity looked down. “Fair point, Demalgo. Amelia was the youngest in the family, but she was almost as bad as my mother if not worse. It’s for the best that both of them are gone.” She glared at Scarlon. “How did you happen to get the position in the Kosenka manor, anyway?”

“The right combination of events,” Scarlon began. “I have a network of contacts all over this planet, both for my supernatural and real estate businesses with some crossover, and your previous servant happened to target one of them in the early hours one day. The servant…didn’t survive the encounter as my contact later explained to me, and I applied for the inevitable opening as soon as it came up under the guise of a young vampire. Not difficult when you’re a shapeshifter. Then it was a simple matter of waiting for the right time to make my move, which came about when your mother happened to lure in a guy who’d been on my list of prospective students for a long time.”

“I think I understand now.” Felicity paused. “Wait. Prospective student?”

“Yes. Colin’s been my student in the magical arts for a few years now, but let’s get to the point of my invitation,” Scarlon said. “Why are you in Zupaughberg while attending a local school? In the daytime, no less.”

“I’ve been trying to establish a new life for myself and find the right place to be ever since I sold the manor,” she glared at us. “and this area was a strong contender until learning you live in this area.”

“Felicity, rest assured I’ll let you move freely as long as you don’t attack anyone.” Scarlon paused for a moment. “You haven’t, have you?”

She shook her head. “I haven’t killed any normal being except in self-defense since the morning I fled from you.”

“Better keep it that way, Felicity. Otherwise, Colin will have full permission to deal with you,” Scarlon replied.

“Not a problem,” Felicity said.

“But it still doesn’t answer my question. What brings you to this area in particular?”

“I’ve become a freelance monster hunter in the last few years, dealing with all sorts of creatures along with the occasional rogue hunter. They’re good for the blood supply,” Felicity explained. “Mostly at night, of course.”

Scarlon nodded. “I’d expect no less since a vampire is invulnerable at night.”

“Yes, but there are the few beings who only operate in the day. Or at least can only be found then,” Felicity said. "I’ve also discovered it’s easier to scout the scene out before moving to the main event.

“Ah. Hence why you’re about during the day.” Scarlon smirked. “You’re in the middle of a hunt.” She nodded.

“Who are you hunting, Felicity?” I asked. “Maybe we can help.”

Felicity looked down in contemplation for a moment. “Not a bad idea. You seem trustworthy. After all, if you were going to kill me I’m guessing I’d be dust by now.”

“Before you could blink, but there’s no reason to if you haven’t harmed any locals,” Scarlon said.

Felicity nodded. “I’ve been tracking down a pair of sorcerers who run a traveling carnival attraction where they kill anyone who enters, and their next listed stop was somewhere in Yarlforr County.”

“A pair of sorcerers, huh?” Scarlon asked.

“Yeah. Now that I think about it, you’d be a great help since you’re one yourself. I unfortunately never inherited my mom’s aptitude for magic,” Felicity answered. “By the way, what are you? You once posed as a vampire, but I’m guessing you aren’t one?”

Scarlon shook his head. “I’m a sorcerer from a world far away.”

“So an alien?”

Scarlon nodded. “But we can discuss all this later. Who are these sorcerers you’re tracking? I try to deal with dangerous sorcerers as soon as I can.”

“Serenda and Ryan Orlandrus,” Felicity stated.

Scarlon shot her a glance. “The Orlandruses?”

“Yes,” she began. “You know them?”

“Only by reputation. Our paths have never crossed since I would’ve dealt with them already if they did,” Scarlon explained. “They set up haunted houses all over Okiukuth a little over a century ago and fled the continent by the time I was called in to deal with the aftermath.”

“Sounds like them.” Felicity glared at him. “Wait. They’ve been around that long? I caught a glimpse of them, and they have the look and smell of humans. Probably the blood of one, too.”

“Magic users tend to have a longer lifespan than the rest of their species,” Scarlon replied. “A human sorcerer, for example, can live upwards of three to four hundred years.”

“Oh,” Felicity said.

“But if the Orlandruses are on the continent….” Scarlon muttered.

“Which they are,” Felicity said. “I traced them here from Delgorix, but I lost track of them once I arrived and chose to attend the local school in the hope of overhearing something. I hear rumors fly in such places.”

Scarlon smiled and nodded.

“I know it’s only your first day here Felicity, but any luck?” I asked.

“Maybe,” she said. “I overheard something about a traveling carnival that recently arrived in town.”

“Yes. This would be the right time of year for those to start showing up.” Scarlon looked at me. “Think you can find out where the carnival is?”

I nodded. “That shouldn’t be difficult.” I brought my tablet out and started researching carnivals in the area, finding a result after a few minutes of searching. “I’ve got it! One was just set up in some large fields over in the rural parts of Zupaughberg.”

Felicity looked over. “Anything about a haunted house attraction of any kind?”

“Let’s see.” I scrolled through the list of carnival attractions. “Yes. There’s a haunted house which is run by a pair of traveling performers, though it doesn’t say who they are.”

“Hmmm. It could be anyone, but it’s worth investigating under these circumstances,” Scarlon said.

“It just might be.” Felicity peeked over my shoulder. “When did they set it up, and what are the operating hours?”

“Looks like the attraction opened about a week ago, and it operates from late in the afternoon to around midnight,” I answered.

“The time frame adds up,” Felicity said.

“Then let’s pay the attraction a little visit around sunset.” Scarlon glared at Felicity. “If you try anything once the sun sets, Felicity, I know a few ways to drive vampires off at night. Consider this your only warning.”

“Neither of you have anything to worry about. Human blood’s enough for me, and I’m hesitant to try alien blood.” Felicity glanced at me. “I’ll admit the elf and human combo is intriguing to try, but I’ll do without it.”


We left the manor a little before sunset and went over to Scarlon’s car.

“We’re going to drive there?” Felicity asked.

“Why not? It’ll attract the least amount of attention from the Orlandruses. Besides, only two of us can fly, and one of us carrying Colin would attract attention for sure.” Scarlon pointed out.

“Fair enough.” Felicity shrugged as we got in and drove off.


We drove along some country roads, seeing fewer and fewer buildings until there were more fields than anything else.

“What are you planning anyway, Demalgo?” Felicity asked.

“I figured Colin would enter the attraction if those two are present since he’s unknown to them,” Scarlon answered. “We might not be.”

“That makes sense,” I groaned.

Felicity glared at Scarlon. “Yeah. I’m beginning to understand your reasoning, but go on.”

“Once the Orlandruses are drawn out, we’ll bring their activities to an end,” he said.

Felicity grinned as she ran a finger along an ornate knife she was carrying. “Sounds like a good plan to me.”

Scarlon glanced at the knife a few times during the ride. “I doubt you’ll need that knife since we’ll be making our move well past sunset.”

“I know, but I’ve always had a thing for weapons.” Felicity looked at me. “Something you’re no doubt quite aware of. Well, both of you for that matter.”

“True. Your weapons room at the manor isn’t easy to forget.” Scarlon remarked.

I chuckled. “I’ll say. I probably would’ve thought the collection impressive if you weren’t trying to kill me with it!”

“A choice I regret,” Felicity muttered, looking down. “I know this doesn’t justify what I did and neither will any apologies, but it was almost impossible to get first blood in that house with my mother and Amelia around. I always took what I could get.”

“I get you, though that’s behind us now,” Scarlon said.

Felicity nodded. “I know, and good riddance.”

“Indeed,” Scarlon said, looking ahead a short time later as a Ferris wheel and a roller coaster appeared on the horizon at dusk. “And we’re here.” He parked the car in a space close to the carnival and as we got out, he took another look at Felicity’s knife. “That knife’s a Poulgrez creation, isn’t it?” he asked as we walked toward the main part of the carnival.

“You know your weapons, don’t you?” she asked.

“Sure do,” he replied. “Though It helps that I once knew Poulgrez and lived in the same town as him.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Are you serious? He lived over five hundred years ago!”

“Yeah. And I came to this planet about two centuries before that.” Scarlon stated. “I bought a few weapons from Poulgrez, including a sword and another knife from that set.” He pointed to Felicity’s knife as she put it away. “Both are kept in the manor.”

“I’ll have to look at those one day.” The vampire smiled. “You’re an intriguing one, Demalgo. You’re probably far older than any vampire I’ve met, and most elves for that matter.”

“Just comes from having a long lifespan,” Scarlon said.

“And long lives are pretty nice. So much to see,” Felicity said before facing the carnival before them. “Anyway, think they’re here?” she asked as we stopped by a booth so Scarlon could buy some tickets for the various attractions.

“Too soon to tell, but there’s a strong magic presence here,” Scarlon answered.


We made our way to the haunted house attraction as the sun sank lower on the horizon. A screen was above the entrance with a middle-aged man and woman shown on it, and a camera rested above it. Felicity and Scarlon stared at the images.

“It’s them, alright,” Felicity growled.

Scarlon smirked as he nudged me. “Then it’s show time.”

I was a little hesitant while approaching the screen.

“Welcome to the Orlandrus House of Frights,” the man on the screen, Ryan Orlandrus, said as he looked right at me. “Step right up and enjoy the haunted house if you dare. Will you be the first to make it to the top?”

“It’s an experience like no other,” the woman with him, his wife Serenda, said. “Why don’t you see for yourself, boy?”

I moved closer. “I might. Quite an impressive display here with all the magic in use.”

Ryan gave a crooked smile. “A fellow student of magic, eh? Then you just might have what it takes to reach us on the top floor.”

“We’ll see.” I put one of my tickets in a machine next to the entrance.

“Excellent. We’ll see you soon, one way or another.” Serenda laughed.

I looked back while preparing to enter the house, getting out of the camera’s range for a moment. “I’ll do my best to reach them.”

“Same,” Scarlon said. “I’ll go on ahead and check for traps while also keeping a close eye on both of you.”

Felicity grinned. “Works for me. Those sorcerers won’t escape this time.” She glanced at Scarlon. “But how can you keep an eye on me?”

“With your magic energy signature,” Scarlon said. “Every living creature has one.”

“How does that work when I’m not technically living?” she asked.

“Because you’re still a sentient being and was once a living one,” he answered.

“I…think I kind of understand.” She looked at Colin. “Anyway, see you inside,” she said as she turned into a bat and flew into the house.

“Just stay on your guard, Colin. You’ll do fine.” He turned into a bat himself and flew to another section of the house before I went inside.


I found myself in the entry room of the house which was filled with many horror-themed decorations such as ghosts, bats, and skeletons. The latter made me feel a little uneasy since the idea of some of the skeletons being real probably wasn’t beneath the Orlandruses from what I’d heard. I made my way through the room, navigating with both my sight and magic senses which convinced me to jump over the center of the room. A good call since a trapdoor leading to a bed of spikes opened under me as I passed over the floor. “The famous trapdoor in the middle of the room? Way too obvious, guys!” I shouted upon reaching the door at the end of the hall, stepping out of the way at the last second as it slammed down on the ground where I stood just moments before. Not wanting to take any chances, I bolted through the open doorway before the door could get back up.

Felicity flew around the next room in her bat form, moving in a particular way from where I was standing to the end of the hall. I followed her movements which brought us just past the spikes shooting out of the walls. I nodded to her as I reached the door at the end of the hallway and went through, finding myself in a room filled with more spikes and moving walls.

“This’ll be fun,” I grumbled while moving through the room, jumping over spikes and waiting for walls to slide out of the way. A few bats were flying around, one being Felicity. She hovered until I approached and continued leading me through a path between walls and spikes like in the previous room. Her path took me to an empty part of the room, or at least I thought it was empty before hearing the sound of a swinging blade. I looked to the side and had just enough time to cast a quick freezing spell moments before it could make contact with me. “A little too close,” I muttered as I passed through the door and entered a small room filled with doors and mirrors where Felicity flew around me in circles.

“The traps here put some of my mom’s to shame, such as this one!” She pointed a wing at the doors.

“Let me guess. One leads forward while the rest lead to certain doom?”

The vampire grinned. “Did you expect anything else?”

“Not really.”

“Good. I’d question your friend’s choice of students if your answer was different, along with how you two killed the rest of the Kosenkas.” She faced the doors. “Think you can get through this one without my help?”

“We’ll see.” I went between the doors and used some spells to destroy a few. I also happened to watch Felicity fly past some of the mirrors and noticed how she showed up in some of them, but not all. I glanced at a few destroyed doors as I ran past. Some revealed just plain walls and others led to pits with fire, spikes, or closing walls at the bottom. Soon only three remained. I opened all of them and stepped back, staring at the three hallways stretching out before me. “This has trap written all over it.”

Felicity nodded before flying through one of them. I heard the swing of a blade before she swiftly flew out moments later. “Not that door. Good thing we’re here at night because I’d be in serious trouble if we came here during the day.”

“That bad, huh?” I asked.

“Yep.” She flew through the center door and came back a few minutes later while I looked through the door on the left. “That center room leads to a dead end which floods when anyone gets close.” She looked through the remaining door with me. “This must be the only way forward. After all, those sorcerers need to get through this themselves.”

“Good point if they have to go through here.” I went through the door and Felicity followed. The path took us to a staircase.

“Only one way forward from here,” Felicity said.

“Yep.” I turned to her as we went up the stairs. “Can you explain something I saw in the last room?”

“Depends on what it is,” she said.

“When you were flying past the mirrors back there, I saw you in some but not others. The older ones in particular. Why is that?” I asked. “It’s interesting since many old vampire stories say you can’t be seen in mirrors.”

“I’m a little unsure myself since I’ve only witnessed that for myself recently and never even saw a mirror until after that…incident, but I think it has something to do with older mirrors being made with silver, a metal we keep our distance from,” Felicity explained.

I nodded. “Interesting.”

“Yeah?” she asked. “I find it fascinating myself, but we can worry about it another time.” She faced the top of the stairs. “I’ll go on ahead and search for those sorcerers. Your friend should be up there, so you’ll be fine. If not, well, your blood will go to good use.” She laughed as she flew away, shouting, “Just kidding, Renaud,” as her voice trailed away.

I laughed a bit myself as I ran up the stairs, almost falling through a trick step that disappeared the moment my foot touched it, though I was quick to jump over the space where the step once was.

“Should’ve expected it on a staircase in this place. No matter, though.” I focused on using my magic senses to detect more trick steps ahead and jumped over the remaining ones, getting to the top of the stairs without any further incidents.

I found myself in a long hallway with a red embroidered carpet stretching across the floor and caught sight of Scarlon flying around.

“Watch yourself, Colin,” He called out to me.

“I have so far, but I’ll continue to do so,” I shouted back.

“Good. Nice to hear my lessons have gotten through.”

He flew off as I began my careful trek as he walks across the floor of the room, jumping up a few times as the carpet moved. I moved around the side of a few holes in the floor, a good call since blades shot out. I caught sight of a few skeletons lying before the door at the end of the hall as Scarlon flew above me.

“Using the bodies of their victims as decoration.” He shook his head in disgust. “Right when I thought they couldn’t sink lower.” He flew along the wall and I followed his path until he hovered around an empty wall. I stared at it for a few moments until I started to guess what Scarlon was trying to show me and put a hand on the wall.

“Ah. I get it. A door painted to look like a wall,” I said. “Pretty low-key after everything else I’ve seen in here.”

“All things considered, yes,” Scarlon said. “Though good job spotting that.”

“Thanks.” I grinned while pushing the door open and went through with Scarlon flying in behind me. “How much further?”

“The Orlandruses are right up there,” Scarlon said as we reached a staircase and pointed to a door at the top. “You go on ahead and confront them. I’ll be close behind.”

“On it.” I ran up to the door without any trouble, which was pretty surprising in a house full of traps. I went through and entered a room at the top of the haunted house with a few spikes lining the walls like many others in the attraction. Ryan and Serenda were standing at the other end of the room and fixated their gazes on me as I came in.

Ryan clapped while stepping forward. “Well done. While I see you’ve had some help getting here, you still made it through tons of traps on your own. Good eye with the fake wall by the way, but your journey ends here.”

I couldn’t help laughing a little. “Think I haven’t heard that before?”

“You won’t be thinking of anything once we’re done!” Serenda shouted.

Both of them stood at different parts of the room and throw spells at me which I countered with a few of my own while getting my knife ready.

“Not bad, elf kid,” Ryan began. “This isn’t your first magic duel, is it?”

“Only if you count training duels,” I answered.

Serenda laughed. “Then consider this a final field lesson courtesy of us. Though at least give us a slight challenge.”

I threw a blast at both sorcerers which sent them flying back. Ryan landed near a spike that cut him across the face as he fell, and he snarled as he got back up while Serenda fled the room.

“It’s clear you’re no pushover, but you’ve made your last mistake.” He growled. “Nobody has ever crossed our paths and lived, especially when they come here and injure us.”

Ryan flew at me and I pushed him back with a lightning spell before pointing my knife at him.

“Only your trail of blood can be blamed for this,” I snapped.

Ryan scoffed. “And? Think you’re the first magic user we’ve drawn out with this attraction? You and those friends of yours will just be some of our many victims.”

Before I could react, Ryan struck me with a quick blast and wrapped his hands around my neck. I struggled to get free and succeeded after considerable effort, throwing Ryan back onto a row of spikes in the process. He flailed about and gasped for breath while Scarlon flew in and assumed his regular form.

“Took long enough to catch your trail after the Okiukuth rampage,” he barked as he approached. “More than a century, in fact, but your little attraction ends here.”

I got up and caught my breath. “And at the hands of an apprentice sorcerer, no less.”

“It’s humorous to think that one like you would be the end of me, but your victory is bound to be short-lived if Serenda has her way.” Ryan laughed. “I’ll be seeing you in the world beyond soon enough.”

Scarlon grinned. “No member of my species will ever enter your planet’s afterlife, so you’ll never see me again in this world or the next. Don’t count us out yet, though.” Ryan scowled at us before going still. Scarlon turned to me once he was sure Ryan would never move again. “One left.”

I nodded as I ran to the door opposite the entrance. “I think I can pick up Serenda’s presence up ahead, and maybe someone else as well.”

Scarlon smirked as he followed. “Then this shouldn’t last long.”

The door led to a short hallway that went to the roof of the haunted house. The temperature had dropped a bit and everything was surrounded in fog and mist as Serenda stared them down, hand raised.

“If you’re here, Ryan must be…” She snarled. “You’ll never get out of here alive.”

“If I could only count how often I’ve heard that line over the years,” Scarlon muttered.

“You’ll never hear them again, brat!” Serenda started muttering an incantation and I raised a hand himself, ready to counter. Scarlon put a hand on his sword, but that was all he does before smiling.

“Something funny, boy?” Serenda shouted. “Try laughing when this whole carnival is nothing but a smoldering crater.”

I looked up as she continued her incantation. “Yeah. What–” I paused while looking at the mist surrounding Serenda, and thought I could sense the second presence I’d picked up earlier. I turned to Scarlon and nodded understanding as a hand formed out of the mist.

A familiar voice called out, “You’ve gone far enough, Serenda. Now I don’t know about the rest of you, but running around your death trap has worked up quite an appetite for me.” The rest of Felicity took form in the mist and she approached Serenda, who disrupted her incantation and fired a few spells at the vampire. Felicity yawned as the blasts went right through her, same with the occasional shot from a gun the sorceress brought out. She tried slashing at Felicity with a knife when she got close, but the blade just passed through her like everything else. Felicity grabbed Serenda by the neck before she could react and sank her fangs into it, tossing the sorceress’s lifeless form on the ground a few moments later and wiping some blood off her lips. “Ah. It’s been so long since I’ve had blood straight from the source, though a hint of bitterness almost ruined an otherwise excellent flavor,” she lamented.

“That’s the taste of magic, Felicity,” Scarlon said. “I’ve no doubt your mother limited the number of trained magic users she caught for just that reason. That, and we’re dangerous to deal with.”

“I’ll say, and will probably follow her in that regard,” she said.

I just stood there. “That…was quite an impressive display, Felicity.”

She grinned. “Nothing like a vampire in action at night, is there?”

“Nope,” I said.

Scarlon nodded. “Yeah. An unstoppable force once the sun is down, and impossible to kill.”

“True terrors of the night.” Felicity smiled.

“And just like the stories say, you can take the form of a bat or mist,” I said. “I think I remember hearing about a wolf form as well.”

“You heard right, but I’ve never gotten the hang of that one. I’ve only just gotten used to turning into mist. The bat is by far my favorite, though.” She kicked Serenda’s body aside as she walked to us. “So what now? We just leave them here for the locals to deal with?”

Scarlon nodded. “There isn’t much else to do here. I’ll just contact the local authorities and warn them about the traps while also recommending looking into recent disappearances anywhere this carnival passed through recently. I think they’ll find many of them here.”

“I’m certain of it.” Felicity looked around. “Since we’re done here, let’s go.”

She changed into her bat form and flew off while Scarlon changed into a larger one and grabbed me as he followed. We met up on the ground and they assumed their regular forms.

“I must thank you boys for such an exciting evening and a decent dinner,” Felicity said. “Are all your investigations like this?”

“Not all of them. Some are pretty boring in comparison, and many have to be carried out during the day,” Scarlon explained.

Felicity sighed. “Pity. So not much of a chance to take part in them at my full strength.”

“No, but investigations like this turn up on occasion,” Scarlon said.

Felicity beamed. “Then count me in whenever you have a nighttime investigation or even an exciting daytime one. You’re an interesting guy, Scarlon.”

Scarlon smirked. “Calling me by my chosen name, now?”

“Why not? You can consider me as part of your group of contacts after a night like this.” She paused. “Wait. You don’t have any other vampire contacts, do you?”

“I’m on friendly terms with a few vampire clans and groups. Why do you think I knew of your mother’s crimes?” he replied.

Felicity nodded. “Yes. From what I’ve gathered since…that day, her bloodlust was insane even by vampire standards and I know she even murdered others of our kind. My sister as well.”

“There was a large bounty for both of them since you can guess how well that went over,” Scarlon remarked.

“Yeah.” She looked down for a moment. “Anyway, I’m more than happy to help you out.” She faced me. “You can update me on cases at school.”

“Still going to attend when your hunt here’s done?” I asked.

She shrugged. “Might as well. This city looks pretty decent, and it’s the closest I’ve had to a normal life of any kind since the day I was turned. I promise I won’t lead you into any traps as James did.”

“Then welcome aboard, Felicity Kosenka,” Scarlon said.

“Thanks,” Felicity replied as we wandered through the carnival, passing many different attractions with a few still being open despite the late time. “I’ll at least be a good weapons expert for the pair of you since those are my specialty.”

“I’ve no doubt.” Scarlon glanced at the carnival tickets he got earlier. “Why don’t we use some of these up and then go back home?”

“Sounds good to me,” I said.

Felicity nodded in agreement. “I guess since we’re already here.”


We spread out and spent a few tickets at different attractions throughout the carnival. Felicity went to a shooting gallery and cleaned out, winning many prizes. I found a dart game and plays a few rounds, winning some simple prizes while Scarlon checked out a magic show and creature act at the other end of the fairgrounds. We had some fun before leaving about an hour later.

“Some magic,” Scarlon muttered as we got to the car and put our prizes in the back. “Just cheap tricks and stitched-together creatures.” He shook his head as we got in.

“I’ll say,” Felicity began as we drove off. “Carnivals are quite a racket. Always have been. By those standards, I’d almost give the Orlandruses credit for being upfront about what they were. Almost.”

Scarlon chuckled. “Agreed, though that sets the bar pretty low.”

“Yeah. Though at least the shooting gallery was kind of fun, even if recent ranged weapons are outside of my line of expertise,” Felicity said.

Scarlon nodded. “They aren’t my first choice, but also have their uses.”

I looked out the window as we drove through the city. Everyone was silent for a while before Felicity spoke up.

“You were commenting on stitched-together creatures, right? Would you prefer seeing these traveling sleazes with real magical creatures?”

Scarlon shook his head. “Not a chance. I have to deal with such situations roughly a few times a decade, and con guys with access to real magic or creatures is never a good time for anyone involved.” He looked ahead. “Anyway, where are you staying, Felicity?”

“I’ve been staying in the cellar of an old hotel. The Rosingar, I believe, but I’m thinking of using some of the funds I got from selling that other place to get some nice old house around here,” she answered.

Scarlon grinned. “You won’t have a problem finding those, Felicity. I have a few listings for houses at least a century old and will give you a list if you like.”

“Works for me,” she said. “If the house you choose to live in is to my liking, I’ve no doubt you know of other similar ones.”

“Of course.” He drove by the hotel and Felicity glanced at us as she got out of the car.

“Thanks,” she said. “Be sure to send that list, Scarlon. And maybe put me in touch with some of the other vampires you know. Preferably one I wouldn’t have a problem with.”

“You can expect the list of houses by tomorrow night. I’ll look through my other vampire contacts as well, but that’ll take longer,” Scarlon explained.

“There’s no rush there,” Felicity replied. “See you soon, boys.” Her form faded into mist which went in the direction of the hotel cellar. We drove back to Welgorlinz Manor once the mist vanished from view.

“All things considered, that went far better than I was expecting,” I said.

“Yeah,” Scarlon began. “You’d never guess Felicity’s the daughter of one of the most ruthless vampires who ever lived.”

I nodded.

“I doubt there’s anything to worry about,” he went on, “but I’d still keep an eye on her.”

“Will do,” I answered. We got back to the manor a few minutes later and turned in for the night.


Authorities investigated the haunted house attraction the next day and found the bodies of the Orlandruses along with those of their victims going back a few centuries, and destroyed the building once all of them were recovered. The carnival left town the next day with Scarlon sending the owners a message to be more careful with their haunted attractions from then on.

Felicity moved into a small house a few blocks from the manor about a week later. It may be small, but it’s over two hundred years old and has a basement that’s a decent size. She didn’t say much to me at school, at least at first, but she joined a study group I’m in a few weeks later with others who know of the supernatural so we’d have an easier time exchanging information about our investigations. 

0