Reluctance to Help
439 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'These will be enough.'

From the start Devin wasn't expecting much. He had little to no idea of this world's economy and just had to take the risk… the first step. He would rather act first and then boldly face the repercussions. His instinct told him that it was the right thing to do. After all he cannot do anything with an appearance that didn't even allow him to talk to others properly.

But his little test went better than he had expected. He was prepared for trouble. But for reasons unknown no trouble came in his way.

'Seems kinda suspicious if you ask me.' His brain had alarms ringing. He checked the clothes on him.

It was a simple brownish tunic and a hose that was a perfect fit for Devin. Checking his fitting he turned around to the lady who was now holding his basket.

"Thank you. I would be indebted"

Saying so Devin left the seamstress. With him having clothes on he could better murge in the surroundings.

Devin was walking down the street as he gazed upon the different structures here and there.

"Thief!" Someone shouted.

Devin watched as a small child with carrots in hand ran past him. He didn't move but his eyes followed the child. He found the situation to be intriguing. With the stuff in his hand  he could barely walk.

Two men with sticks in hand ran after the boy as they shouted 'Thief' to burst out their lungs. Finally the boy was caught.

*Bash*

The two men bashed the boy for stealing their stuff. But Devin didn't move. He knew when to stay out of trouble.

"Dare to steal from me huh? You damn street rat!"

"Ah!!!h!!" The boy screamed in pain and cried as he rolled on the ground, his body taking all the swing of the stick. Even if they had got back their belongings that didn't mean they were going to let the boy go back in one piece.

*Crack*

A lash so hard was dealt that it left the stick broken.

"Tsk," the man clicked his tongue in annoyance. He wasn't yet satisfied but alas he didn't want to dirty his hands. "I am letting you go for today. Don't even dare to steal from me!"

The boy cried in pain. He had bruises all around his body, some had even turned to orifices making him bleed. This showed just how hard the lashes were.

*Gulp*

Seeing his distraught appearance Devin couldn't help but gulp. He could very much be in his place. Coming from another world with no one to call family, how would he have survived without stealing food?

"Guess I was right choosing food magic"

Devin didn't believe that his chit could actually do anything substantial even though the dimensional gate firmly denied it. But he would at least not be starving to death.

He tore his earthly shirt and wrapped it around his face as a mask and walked towards the boy.

"Boy, why do you steal?"

There was a smile on his face that didn't want to scare the kid off. There was something about the town that was ticking Devin ever since but he wasn't sure as to what it was. It was information he wanted.

But the child, instead of replying, burst out his dam.

"My sister… she is starving…" His voice spluttered as he couldn't hold back his tears anymore.

He was supposed to bring back some food to feed her yet he failed. How was he supposed to go back now? How was he supposed to see his family starve?

Devin nodded but he didn't say a word as he walked away. The boy could only stare at his leaving visage as he basked in his helplessness.

He rubbed his tears and tried his best to get up and moped back to his place. Calling it 'his' place would be wrong as it was just an alley where he and his sister slept.

"Brother? What happened to you! Why are you injured?" The worried sister asked.

"Sorry, Bethy, I couldn't bring any food." He said as tears began to tickle down his face again.

"You don't have to worry brother, a kind person left us food!" The sister said as she wiped her brother's tears.

The boy had his eyes shot out wide on hearing the word 'food'. They were starving for days now. His sister, having a weaker constitution than himself was on the verge of collapsing and he was no better. That is why he felt that since he had little energy left he better give it his all and get some food for her. But alas his exhaustion made his feet give out. Before he knew it he was caught red handed.

"Food? Who gave food?"

The sister shook his head.

"I don't know brother, someone just threw it towards me before you came.

***

Devin wanted to help the brother sister duo. But he knew by instinct that doing so would put him at a huge risk. He was sure by this point that food magic was unique to himself and he had no intention of revealing it unless he could use this card correctly.

That is why he did so in absolute secrecy. He could have ignored it altogether but he ain't an asshole. Especially considering he had infinite supply. The brother-sister duo couldn't harm him in any way either. But he promised himself that he won't be doing this so easily next time.

"Personal things should never be revealed."

When he was a child he had once told his so-called friend that he had no parents. That was the day he had messed up the worst! From the next day not a day had passed until he wasn't bullied. He had no parents, no one to back him off… so the bullies had all their worries diminished.

It was only until Devin fought back that he was able to ward off the bullies.

"This world too should work according to the same rules. Humans are humans after all. You shouldn't tell strangers about your weaknesses."

***

Author:

Buy me a coffee? www.patreon.com/shinyshirogane

3