Chapter 10: Dark Hope
202 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arthur studied his surroundings, in the last day they had managed to get back to the city where they had agreed to take a break. Both Rob and Penny were discussing if they would continue to accompany Arthur or not. While the other Travelers had no idea what had happened in the ruins of the other Dark Conclave, they could guess he was on the trail of a Quest chain. 

Which was true, they just didn't know how big it was considering Arthur was still unsure. He just had the most basic concept and even with that, it didn't reveal much. "Thank you for coming back, Arthur." I turned to look at Amelia and nodded my head. "What did you discover?" the Dark Priestess asked as we started walking down one of the darkened corridors. 

While we were relatively safe, after seeing the ruin of the other Dark Conclave I was unsure how safe this place was. "I brought two others with me to the ruins, but we discovered a large group of Crusaders had gone there to pillage the ruins," Arthur told her causing the woman to curse. Arthur chuckled at the words spilling from the woman's mouth as he continued. "They ended up triggering one of the magical defenses and everyone was suffering from the Dark Fate Curse. I triggered the Crystal of Damnation causing all those that had suffered under the curse to rise as Undead in defense of the ruins and made it into a Dungeon." Arthur finished his report but left out seeing the Avatar and everything he had recovered there. 

Spoiler
<<<System Alert>>>
Quest Name: Dark Rumblings

Notices: You plumed the depths of the ruins of the Dark Conclave outside of Vale Herst and discovered that it was being pillaged by Crusaders sent by the High God Pelor. For their actions, the Crusaders were cursed, and you punished them for their actions by damning them to Undeath and eternal servitude in defense of the ruins creating the Dark Conclave of Damnation. You have received 5,000 Experience, Your Reputation with the denizens of the Dark Conclave of Vindomora has increased by +500 (Friendly), and Mark of Hades.

1 X Level up!

Class Bonus: +1 to Intelligence and Spirit

You have (15) free Attribute Points.

You have (7) free Talent Points. 

<<<System Alert>>>

[collapse]

While he trusted Amelia somewhat, Arthur wasn't sure he could trust anyone once someone discovered what a Faction was and what its potential could lead to. "Good, those damned followers of Pelor continue to persecute us and desecrate our holy sites for no other reason than they can." the woman got out once she got control of her temper. The woman studied Arthur more closely before taking a step back, "You have been marked, you have encountered the Dark One! He has granted you, his favor!" a smile blossomed on her face as Arthur tried to control his reaction. 

Amelia moved forward and patted Arthur on his shoulder, "You can relax Arthur you are among friends and while it is true most adherents of the Dark Path are ambitious, none would anger Hades by striking at one that he has favored. A sighting of his Avatar has not occurred in centuries, the crusaders trying to defile his shrine there must have garnered his attention." she explained causing Arthur to relax, but only slightly. 

"Yes, well he didn't talk much but he did give me one task, but I have no clue how I will accomplish it," Arthur told the Dark Priestess who frowned. 

"Where do you have to go, if there is a Dark Conclave nearby, they will assist you if possible," Amelia responded as she stepped back.

Arthur considered her words, he hadn't even told Robert or Penny, but if the Dark Conclaves could provide assistance..."Vamoria, I have to go there." Arthur told her causing Amelia to flinch slightly. 

Amelia paled slightly as she moved to one of the nearby stone benches and sat down. "Those that follow the Dark have a long history with that city, it was once a great stronghold for our people but during the war, it was destroyed. Even now, it is but a shadow of what it once was and while I believe there is a Dark Conclave there, it is in hiding." Amelia told him as Arthur sat down next to her. "Vamoria is said to be a threat to this city and its ally, but it is no threat to anyone. Going there and surviving will be a difficult task, but while Pelor keeps an eye on it the people there do not support the Light God." Amelia informed Arthur.

"So how would I go about looking to see if there is a Dark Conclave there or if any members still survive?" Arthur prodded as Amelia frowned as she considered his question. Arthur took her being quiet to pull up his Inventory to look at the other items he had pillaged from the storeroom. Items that he was sure no Traveler or Citizen should have.

Spoiler

Armor Name: Hope's Crown
Armor Type: Modified-Light Armor; Black Iron, Mithril, Gold and Silver Inlay, Sun Stones; Circlet
Armor Class: Divine; Unique
Equipment Slot: Head
Base Defense: ???
Primary Effects...
--- Unknown Hidden Effects
Secondary Effects...
--- Unknown Hidden Effects

'Crafted and imbued with the love and hope of a husband for the light of his life in one of the darkest places in existence. Persephone, you are my Heart and Life may this show all those that look at you how much you mean to me and to those we rule.'

Armor Name: Mantle of Oblivion
Armor Type: Modified-Light Armor; Shadow Silk, Dragon Skin, Blackened Bones, Black Diamonds; Shoulderguards
Armor Class: Divine; Unique Set Item (???)
Equipment Slot: Shoulders
Base Defense: ???
Primary Effects...
--- Unknown Hidden Effects
Secondary Effects...
--- Unknown Hidden Effects

'Mortals will only look upon Death once, may your image be etched into their minds for all eternity so that they will always remember meeting Thanatos.'

Weapon Name: The End
Weapon Type: Bladed Weapon; Stygian Iron, Black Iron, Silver Inlay, Dragon Skin, Black Diamonds; Arming Sword
Weapon Class: Divine; Unique
Equipment Slot: Main Hand/Off Hand
Base Damage: ???
Primary Effect...
--- Unknown Hidden Effects
Secondary Effects...
--- Unknown Hidden Effects

'My will and power are absolute within the Underworld. My judgment is final, and my blade is swift in defense of my realm. Those enemies that come to face me, will know the End.'

[collapse]

Between them, the seal, and the power core Arthur felt like he was a walking, talking, advertisement to get pickpocketed and he had been careful to keep an eye on the items. Their worth was incalculable at this point and Arthur had not seen or heard of anything like them. The Quest attached to them required something he had no idea how to accomplish and while he wanted to ask Amelia, the Dark Magus thought the items might be too big of a temptation for her to ignore.

Spoiler

Quest Name: Restoration of the Forgotten
Description: During the War of the Light and Darkness, the Gods of the Dark Pantheon lost several key items during the war, weakening them and leaving them vulnerable. The only way to return them is to travel to the Dark Parthenon and place them on the main altar while making a blood sacrifice and calling upon the Dark Gods. This sacrifice must be made in your blood and not taken from either a willing or unwilling participant. 
Quest Class: Legendary; Personal
Quest Difficulty: Infernal

Success: Locate the Dark Parthenon and place the Divine Objects on the main Altar to restore them to their rightful owners. 

Failure
: Do not locate the Dark Parthenon or lose the Diving Objects.

Rewards
: Unknown

[collapse]

Arthur finished reviewing the Quest information as Amelia started speaking again. "I can make inquires, but it will take some time. I do have another task for you if you are willing to undertake it." the Dark Priestess responded making Arthur frown.

"What exactly do you want or need?" Arthur asked and the Dark Priestess smiled.

"If you are going to do what I think you are going to do, we will need allies. One of our ancient allies was captured during the war and imprisoned, we located her prison years ago, but we have not wanted to disrupt the precarious peace." Amelia replied as she looked away. "There is a shrine dedicated to the High God Pelor in the foothills to the northwest of the city, it is remote and not located on any map. Our ally is Kallet, the Dragon Queen of the Black Dragon, a powerful alley that could prove crucial if this turns into an all-out war. Will you do this?" the Dark Priestess asked as a Quest prompt appeared.

Spoiler
<<<System Alert>>>
Quest Name: Shot in the Dark
Description: Centuries ago, the Dragon Queen Kallet was captured by the Gods of the Light and imprisoned. Travel to the foothills northwest of the city of Vindomora and locate the hidden Shrine of Pelor. Be wary the Dragon Queen is guarded by the followers of the High God and will defend their shrine and prisoner with their lives.
Quest Class: Ultra-Rare; Personal
Quest Difficulty: Hard

Success: Locate the hidden Shrine of Pelor outside the city of Vindomora and free the Dragon Queen Kallet.

Failure: Do not locate the hidden Shrine of Pelor or fail to free the Dragon Queen Kallet.

Rewards: 10,000 Experience, Unknown

Accept? Yes or No

<<<System Alert>>>

[collapse]

Arthur studied the Quest information, the more he thought about it, the more he was sure this was spinning into a scenario where it would end with Light vs Dark, Good vs Evil. A dragon, as an ally, would prove to be a huge boon. "I will give it my best shot, but if it is guarded, I might not be strong enough to do this alone. I don't even know if my allies from the last errand will continue to assist me. Can the conclave provide the name of a person that will help me, and I can trust?" Arthur asked the Priestess as he accepted the Quest.

Before Amelia could respond another cowled figure approached causing the Dark Priestess to glare at them. "She has asked for his presence,' the figure reported making Amelia pale slightly as she nervously looked at Arthur then back at the robes figure. 'Please follow me initiate Payne, the Seer awaits your presence." the figure turned and started walking away.

Arthur looked at Amelia who franticly pushed him up to follow the robes figure, "Go, I will ask around to see what people we have available." she quickly answered before scampering off.

Arthur frowned but turned and followed the other figure at a more sedate pace. "Who is this Seer and why would they want to meet me?" Arthur asked hoping it wasn't some fortune teller looking to make trouble.

The robed figure chuckled, "The Seer is exactly as the name implies, she has the gift of foresight and can see through the threads of time. She can see the choices we make and what the future might bring." the figure replied before stopping and from what Arthur could sense, he was considering Arthur as something of worth. "For Travelers, her sight has been clouded, you all are too chaotic but for some reason, she has begun to see your potential life path. This is why she has summoned you." the man added before turning and continuing to walk deeper into the Dark Conclave.

8