Chapter 67 – Battle Plan
78 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adam couldn't delay his mission so he could only force the exhausted Iris and Bo to join the distraction unit on their infiltration to the capital. The distraction unit wasn't granted access to enter the capital, but the commotion they made with their overreaction to being denied entry to the capital allowed a squad of the most elite fighters to sneak into the northern outer district of the capital using their grapling hooks. Adam spread his squad into tents with him, Seth, Lewis, Nate, and Fred taking command of each to navigate the capital's outer district and reach their rendezvous point, the southern outer district's gate. With the strict implementation of the city wide lockdown, Adam had his tent, composed of elites from the Wolfgang Mercenaries, create as much chaos in the opposite direction of the other's route. With his covert operations expertise, he could ensure his men would be able to stay hidden for a day, which was enough time to allow the rest of the tents to complete their mission. By then the sudden pressure from the southern gate will ease the pressure on his tent.

As planned, the four other tents executed the mission during the chaos Marquis Mansk's proclamation caused. With the fall of the southern gate, the rest of the soldiers either surrendered to the third prince or fortified the noble district's walls. This time, entering the more fortified noble district wall would prove a difficult task without a siege. So the third prince went around the outer district gathering support for his cause while fully encircling the noble district, trapping the people within. If the third prince can wait for the two years' worth of supply within the city to be consumed, he could gain control of the capital's inner district with little bloodshed.

....

"Cap. Josef, your band's performance has truly exceeded my expectations. I will present you with a fitting reward for all the missions you have accomplished with your men after I have settled the throne. Please continue to provide your stellar services for my cause." said the third prince as he finally met Adam who had basically singlehandedly taken down two fortified cities in a span of half a year.

"Your highness, I am but a lowly soldier completing the mission assigned to me by the high command. I deserve no praise." Adam really felt a sense of deja vu as this scene had happened multiple times in his past life. Remembering his experience with his many brothers, he teared up.

This was interpreted by the third prince as a sign of pure devotion to his cause, "Rest assured! When all this finishes, I will reward you in equivalent to your accomplishments."

....

"Your highness, there is a stalemate on all fronts of the Kingdom. The first prince has holed up in the northern region, not daring to attack the central nor northwestern region. The second prince was able to push back their defensive line to the border between the northeastern and eastern region border. It seems the army you borrowed from your father-in-law isn't as motivated to hold their ground without you personally leading them. Lastly, the noble district forces have also opted to maintain the status quo. This gives us the room we need to reorganize our forces and plan for a final standoff with the other princes." Marquis Mansk was holding a strategic meeting with the third prince's supporter. Adam was able to attend as his father's proxy by Jason's side.

"Now, we need a way to break these stalemates in our favor. I suggest gathering our forces in the central region and attacking the first prince as Duke Solon, who is the patron of the second prince, will likely not opt to abandon his dominion. We can then deal with the first prince first before finally attacking the second prince." the Marquis suggested.

"I'm of the opinion we can break down the outer city walls of the capital so the first prince will be forced to a field battle with us if he tries to occupy the capital when we pincer attack the second prince with your highness' navy." suggested a general under the third prince.

"I think it will be best to fortify the entire northern border of the central and eastern provinces to prevent them from attacking south. When the fortifications are complete, we can attack them from the west with all our available forces." suggested another general.

"The first prince is a better strategist than the second prince, we should deal with the easier targets first so we can focus our attention on the bigger target." the third prince himself gave his opinion, making it known which direction the strategies should take.

"If we can find a way to occupy either the seaport or river port of Riverguard City, we can overrun them with marines before sending in our heavy infantry to ravage the distracted border soldiers from the eastern region." Jason suggested as he looked at Adam.

"General, normal men need months, or even years, to be adept in these kinds of operations. There is no force in the kingdom that can accomplish this mission." Adam whispered as he guessed what was on Jason's mind.

"Is there no other way to break this stalemate?" the third prince asked in frustration. "You are dismissed for now. I will call for you all when I have decided on a strategy."

....

"If only there is a way to sneak an entire battalion behind enemy lines, that would be enough of a distraction to open up their defensive lines. I think there no way to minimize the losses of the final battles unless we wait out the siege." Adam gave his opinion when Jason asked for the opinion of his men. "If we can wait until winter, my men will be the most effective knife at the enemy's throats."

"That would be too long. The Nucia troops in the eastern region are starting to show signs of sloppiness." Jason sighed.

"If we can bait the second prince to attack the Nucian troops, we can use that time to sneak elite forces into their dominions before regrouping the eastern battlefield. With that, all we need is another chance to cause the most chaos, before executing the distraction mission." Adam blurted out random thoughts at will. "Or maybe we can get them drunk and attack them at their weakest. Hahaha!"

3