Chapter 68 – Transfer Order
70 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I have decided to forcefully attack Riverguard City with a pincer from the navy and the Eastern Region. As long as we can take the southern border of the northeastern region, we can easily take down the towns of villages aside from their main strongholds. I will leave Marquis Mansk with dealing with things here in the capital and central regions. If first brother aids second brother, I want you to attack north with the forces of Marquis Lane in the northwest. If first brother does nothing, you are to maintain the balance in the border. Once we handle second brother, We will attack the northern region on all sides. Father-in-law has only loaned me these troops for three years. I need to make use of these years to stabilize the new order." the third prince gathered his generals a few days later. He will lead the Nucia army to attack the northeastern territories.

....

"Cap. Adam, your remaining squad will join Col. Bolonik's battalion that will act as the vanguard unit for his highness' army." said Jason as he briefed his men on their new arrangements. "Adjutant Erich has already stabilized the situation in the Southern Region and will bring the second Ice Legion here to the capital to join us. You will depart when they arrive."

"Yes, Sir!"

....

"Man, why were we sent to this snowy mountain-filled kingdom. We could have been frolicking around with hot babes in-" before the soldier could finish, he felt a killing intent behind him. He entered his fighting stance drawing his sword, "Who are you?" he asked. He didn't expect to meet anyone in the southwestern area as the enemy troops would be concentrated in the northern area.

"Are you Nucia troops? Please report to your commander that his highness, Kenn Snow, will be inspecting your headquarters. We were sent as a scouting unit ahead of his main escorts." replied Nate.

"His highness? Is there any proof you have to help back your claim?" asked the soldier cautiously.

Nate then had a sword and letter with the Nucia Empire's seal on it before retreating back to Adam. The soldier dashed back to his unit and had his superiors bring the items back to HQ.

....

A week later, prince Kenn Snow reorganized the Nucia troops and prepared to attack their northern border. Bolonik Battalion had been tasked with conducting scout elimination missions since the prince's arrival.

"It's times like these that I kind of wish we were a heavy infantry unit. Joining marches and formations looks intimidating." said Fred. Adam's band had retreated to the northwestern region after executing their mission in the capital. As events were happening left and right, Adam couldn't wait for them to rejoin the central army. Adam was then forced to overwork his remaining squad.

"Forget about it. Don't you think it's easier to die in those meat-crushing formations than covert operations?" said Lewis.

"Our missions are generally more dangerous. Just look at the death count of the battalion. Aside from our squad, the rest are losing three soldiers in every mission. It's thanks to our precise planning that we can execute our missions with minimal losses. Overall, I think we're more at risk here if we have incapable commanders." Nate summarised what he observed over the past week.

"Alright, after the main army enters the northeastern region, we've been tasked with guarding the logistics unit. It seems the Nucia troops are saying our scouts will disrupt their own scouting mission." Adam relayed the orders from above.

"Pei! Do they think they can do a better job than us? Dream on. If we-" Lewis was interrupted by a middle-aged Nucia soldier.

"Excuse me, are you perhaps Captain Josef of the scouting battalion?"

"I'm Cap. Josef. May I know what business you have with me?"

"Good day Cap. Josef. I am Lt. Gen. Hilbert from the fifth Reinforcement Legion." Reinforcement Legion is the name of the 25 legions which accompanied the third prince to the Kingdom.

"Lt. Gen. Hilbert, it is an honor to meet you. But may I know why an esteemed Lt. Gen. such as yourself has saught me out."

"General Jarl, our legion commander found out about your scout unit while reading the different battle reports. When he heard that your squad has been relegated to a guard squad, he asked for you to be transferred to us, temporarily. I am here to personally hand over the transfer order in order to show our general's sincerity. If he wasn't dead drunk at the moment, he'd had come to personally meet you." these words shocked Adam and the rest, for a small squad such as themselves to be recognized by a legion general was too shocking.

"I have received the order. I will gather my men to brief them before transferring to your camp. Are there any other instructions, Lt. Gen?" Adam received the order before deciding.

"Though you may be discriminated by other soldiers, I feel that the most important thing for a soldier to consider is his ability. Please don't take any words to heart and let your actions speak for themselves." The Lt. Gen. left these words before returning to his camp.

Adam gathered his squad, briefed them, then went to report to his new unit. The moment Adam entered the camp, he understood how they were noticed by the Legion. It seems that the 5th Reinforcement Legion is a light infantry legion specializing in archers and scouts. Loud cheers could be heard all over the tent as the soldiers seem to be in a festive mood.

Adam reported to Lt. Gen. Hilbert. Adam was instructed on which part of the camp to set his squad down. He also said that someone will introduce himself as the squad's bandsman.

After settling their tents down, Adam asked around their neighboring squads and found out the third prince had allowed them a night of merry before going to war, as was the custom of the Nucia Empire. Adam was offered wine as well, but he declined. He stated their unit was tired from their recent missions as his excuse.

When Adam returned to his squad, he found a young 25-year old man talking with Adam's subordinates. When Adam approached the man, the man greeted Adam first, "Hello, Cap. Josef. I am Lt. Col. Mick, bandsman of one of the scouting battalions. I've been reading your recent reports and have high expectations for your unit."

4