Chapter 69 – Riverguard City’s Fall
75 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Fighting organized armies really differs greatly from fighting the mountain folk and covert operations. Field battles really make my blood boil. It's too bad we focus on tent-based forest warfare." said Lewis with some regret. The Adam Squad was currently overlooking a field battle between two five-thousand-man regiments units. The Adam Squad was behind enemy lines ready to intercept escaping enemy soldiers and enemy messengers. Since their new unit was a scouting unit which deals in scouting, they weren't required to form phalanx-like formations to join the attack.

"Our men will be able to break their wings at this rate. Let's prepare to intercept small unit-sized stragglers. Still, the Nucia soldiers are really experienced. They perform formation maneuvers like it's nothing. This must be the result of the empire's stance to assist its allies when they are in danger. Their troops are not just adept in tactics, they're stronger on average as well. Pair it up with the strategies of the third prince, even I feel like fighting for the empire." Adam wondered how the kingdom was able to drive away from the empire's invasion a few generations ago.

"Captain, the main force is estimated to reach the last stronghold of the northeastern region, Riverguard City within the next two days. We are requested back to the HQ by then." reported Seth who took the role of Adam's adjutant in Suya's absence.

"I have a bad feeling about this order. It's only been two months since the offensive started but we've already pushed the enemies back. We were lucky that the best cooperation the two other princes could achieve was a truce, or else we would've had a harder time. Alright, after the battle clean ups we'll return to HQ and await new orders." Adam instructed his men before focusing on the details of the battle. From what Adam could see, the Nucia troops are on a whole other level in terms of individual strength, army organization, tactics, and strategies. The Nucia army put emphasis on the organization as they split themselves into individual bands which constitutes the smallest unit they deploy. 'It kind of resembles the Roman cohorts. I can't even begin to imagine what the empire's real elite armies can do.' Adam could only sigh at the strength shown by the Nucia troops.

....

"During this past two months, I've come to understand your ideas and strategies. With the creativity you have when dealing with difficult circumstances, the discipline of your squad, the out-of-the-box tactics you use such as the grass camouflage suits if you continue in this path I have no doubt you'll be an excellent scouting commander. I suggest, however, you venture into more than just scouting and covert operations. I see potential in you as a commander. Though we serve different nations, at the moment, we are allies. If I actually didn't know any better, I would've thought you were a Nucia commander. As your temporary general, I can affirm that your talent is brilliant. What I can't accept is if your talent stagnates." as General Jarl said these words, he had his subordinates carry in three parchment books.

"These books served as my foundation for my 40 years of service. I hope a youngster like you can continue to grow and train your talent with these. I will now give you your last mission under my command, maintain the perimeter outside of Riverguard City when we break through the walls. There are bound to be secret tunnels from the city to the outside that VIPs can use to escape their capture. Your mission, same with the entire Legion, is to prevent these VIPs from escaping." General Jarl gave a personal briefing for Adam. He had been observing Adam's squad since they entered his command and had found points with which he can use to further improve his own men. If it wasn't that Adam had a family in the Kingdom, he would have recruited him into the Empire.

....

"The members of the two Adam Bands are fully integrated into the Ice Legion. It seems they've been given instructions to move to the border, in case the first prince grows a heart and tries to rescue the second price." Nate reported the whereabouts of the rest of their men. They have been separated from the rest and were feeling lonely. Though they made lots of friends and brothers in the empire, they've also lost about half their own numbers. Only three tents are still active in their squad, so sentiments of returning home have greatly increased.

"We just need to hang in there. After the main forces storm the city, we only have the north region left. We can rest or even retire and form our families." as the last words were said, Fred's face grew redder and redder.

"Hays, look at this family man. I still need to find myself a pretty one who can take care of me." joked Lewis.

....

Screams, sword clashes, fire crackling, waves crashing. The entire Riverguard city was a cacophony of sounds as the third prince's forces massacre the citizens of the treacherous Duke. At first, the third prince accepted surrenderees, but after a few incidents where the surrendered soldiers escaped, the third prince gave the order to destroy everything. When the enemy finally noticed the actions of the third prince, it was already too late. When news reached Duke Solon, he hung himself in his palace. From the hard stance of the third prince, he knew that he would be killed either way. So he gave the order to fight to the death before killing himself. The entire city boiled over from the madness of both the attackers and the defenders. When the second prince heard of the news, he immediately fled into one of the secret tunnels, only to be discovered and captured by one of the scout units in the surrounding forest. With the capture of the second prince, most of the commanders regained their senses and ended the massacre of the city. The damage to the city, however, was too horrifying that the third prince regrets his order and shut himself in as penance. When the common people heard this, though they still had lingering hatred for the war, they at least respected the third prince's show of regret.

4