Chapter 70 – Transfer Back
72 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Your highness, we've confirmed the fall of Riverguard City. It happened last May, ending with a massacre of the population, the suicide of Duke Solon, and the capture of the second prince." an officer announced as he entered the first prince's meeting hall.

"Bad news after the other. That pathetic Richard! Getting captured like a dog! What of the news from the borders of the region?" Prince Hans, the first prince asked.

"Prince Kenn has only made progress in the eastern front. The Nucia Empire's troops are far more experienced than our own 250,000 soldiers on the eastern border. Your highness, I think we should forcefully break their encirclement by attacking either the northwestern region or the central region." suggested an officer.

Prince Hans thought for a while but before he could answer another messenger interrupted, "Your highness, the western border has been attacked by what is described as an army of 500,000. The soldiers there have abandoned the towns, villages, and cities. They are-"

"What did you say? 500,000 soldiers? Where did they get that many soldiers?" Prince Hans was bewildered about the sudden appearance of a massive force.

"Your Highness, the reports indicate they flying banners of random houses from all over the kingdom. There are even banners from the lords under the second prince and your vassals. The general guarding the border suspects they have gathered all the fighting forces of the kingdom and combined them into the massive force."

"It seems this will be the final showdown in the kingdom. The Empire can't afford to spare any more troops for their son-in-law as they have other active wars to fight. We don't have any more reinforcements. If only I wasn't cajoled into entering a secret agreement with the Empire. I never would have thought that our banished little brother would have this ambition, selling his own country to an enemy. All of you leave, I need time to think alone."

....

"Welcome back!" said Suya as Adam gave her a passionate hug and kiss.

"Hey, hey, hey! Do you even still respect me as the father of my UNMARRIED daughter?" said Jason as he was being held back by Erich who was laughing.

"Truly a Josef! Our ancestors are cheering for you!" Erich joked.

After a few minutes of reunions, Jason gathered the top-ranking officers of the two Ice Legions. He will be briefing the new arrangement the HQ has planned.

"I would like to remind everyone, we are almost finished, just a few more battles and we can finally return home! Please continue to fight with us!" Jason started by consoling the commanders and urging them to remind their troops. "The Ice Legion I will be holding the border between Python City and-" Jason was interrupted by a messenger with a letter.

"It seems the first prince wants to meet the reinforced forces of Marquis Lane for a battle. The prince has started to march west while the third prince is pursuing. Marquis Mansk has ordered all troops to push into the northwest area and trap the first prince's forces in a field battle. All of you prepare to break camp, I want to be the first to peel the first prince's flesh. Bolonik Battalion, you will serve as the vanguard for the Ice Army."

....

"Don't you think something's off? Suya won't even let us return to our units. They want me, a captain, to only be in charge of a tent. What's going on, Adam?" Lewis complained as they were being isolated from the rest of the unit.

"It seems they're trying to prove to us they're capable enough to complete missions on their own. Just watch and see, don't let their determination and hard work go to waste." Adam explained to them. He was shocked to hear that Suya wanted to hold the overall command of the Band, so Adam can focus on his objectives. He expressed his concern but saw the determination in her eyes. When he saw the same expression in the eyes of the rest of their band members, Adam knew that they had something up their sleeve. He didn't expect that his squad will be isolated from the system, however.

As Adam's special squad was talking about the changes of the band, the sound of fighting happened up ahead. "That's the fifth time, don't you think the first prince sent too many scouts south?" expressed Nate.

"I think so too. Something doesn't seem right from the perspective of a strategist. Let's go take a look first." Adam decided to increase their range of activity and infiltrate further northwards. When they reached the battlefield, Suya was already there with the report.

"Captain, I think there is something wrong with the number of scouts active in this area." she stated after giving it much thought, much to Adam and his squadmates' surprise.

"I say, Suya. You're perpective on the bigger picture has really improved. Not that we're looking down on you, but you guys have really improved while we were away." said Nate.

"It was actually Sofia who happened to complain about their number, the rest of us just analyzed it a bit more. We don't want to feel like we're a burden for your elites. So please don't mind us and just focus on your things." Suya saluted and turned after saying what she wanted to say.

"Adam, did you have a fight with her? She seems extra uptight." joked Lewis before noticing the awkward faces of his two other friends. "Don't tell me you guys also had a fight with your lovers? Ah youth, how I wish I could experience it too!" everyone could only laugh at Lewis's mindless joke.

"Anyways, let's do as Suya suggested. We'll scout ahead. Have the band retreat camouflage in the surroundings. We'll lure their scouts in for questioning." Adam gave his command before signaling the rest to follow him.

They camouflaged in trees, shrubs, and the earth. They waited for three hours before finally getting a glimpse of a band of men moving in their direction. Adam decided to have the rest retreat to the band, leaving only a tent with him. Adam wants to figure out why a band of scouts would be gathering in the forests.

4