Chapter 74 – Last Battle
78 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the fifth day of August, the year 2972, the third prince and the first prince met for a pre-war negotiation on the eastern battlefield. Having not seen each other for a decade, there were bitter expressions on their faces. "It seems you've come to right our wrong." said the first prince. "As your older brother, who did you wrong, I am both happy and ashamed to see you standing here. We've done you wrong because of our jealousy, but look at where it has gotten you. If I had been more mature back then, maybe you would be supporting my claim to the throne. Let's not waste too many words. I'm backed by an army of 400,000. If you have the ability come and get me." the first prince didn't even give the third prince time to talk before returning to his army.

"You would have made a wonderful leader, if only you didn't have me standing in your way." the third prince could only bitterly sigh. Years of being alone have made him soften up for his family, but he knew there was no going back. "Let's return to camp."

....

Looking over the battlefield, Adam could only sigh once again. The first prince has divided his troops into 100,000 men on the western battlefield, 100,000 men on the southern battlefield, and 400,000 men on the eastern battlefield. Everyone had the consensus that they had already won. With the 100,000 troops of the northwestern army, the best result at the western battlefield for the first prince was a stalemate. The southern battlefield was estimated to be where the third prince could make a breakthrough as their 150,000 troops are expected to reinforce the western battlefield so that the combined armies of the two regions can cut off any retreat path of the first prince's main force.

The eastern battlefield, where the most men were, had the heaviest atmosphere. It was do-or-die for both princes. The first prince plans to break through with his line formations. Each battalion formed a square formation, which formed aline formation with their regiment, two-line regiments form the legion. The first prince had 40 legion formations faced with the checkered formation of the Nucia's 200,000 soldiers under the third prince.

A battle of this proportion truly was a shocking scene for any hot-blooded youth. As his band was observing the battlefields, Nate came up to him and reported, "We've located the first prince's banner. We'll continue to monitor from this distance, in case he makes a run for it we can immediately report to the other ambush units his position."

The most elite scouting units of the entire faction were gathered and tasked with monitoring the first prince and taking care of the scouting units tasked with ferrying the first prince away. As Adam was about to give his instructions, loud horns and drums echoes in the air. The battlefield erupted in cheers as men from both sides started closing the distance between the two.

When the enemy troops were in range, projectiles and arrows met them. When the troops were within 50 meters of each other, both sides started sprinting in a choreographed manner. The initial clash was burned into the eyes and souls of the scout spectators as they could vaguely see limbs and blood flying everywhere as soldier after soldier was cut down by spears and swords.

After a temporary silence, Adam peeled his eyes away from the battlefield and observed the tactical maneuvers of both sides. The first prince, having more troops, had his men circle around the flanks of the third prince. This was met however by reserve forces at the back of the third prince. Seeing his flanks being attacked, the third prince had his reserves form a defensive line to protect themselves. The more elite Nucia Troops had a tighter formation than the first prince's army, exposing some soldiers who were cut down in the gaps.

Adam's observed the flow of the battle and noticed that the back of the third prince was exposed. He thought that if the first prince had an elite kill squad, he could take the third prince out. It was too bad, however, that with the defection of the sword guardian, the rest of the elite 5th tier guards were too demoralized to the point that they didn't believe the first prince would succeed, making their sacrifice in vain.

An hour into the battle, sounds of cheering could be heard in the western direction, "It seems a troop has emerged victorious in one of the battlefields, have someone get the report so we can report it to the other forces." Adam's band was located at a high point in the southwest of the eastern battlefield. They were the closest to the other allies.

"Captain, the central army routed the enemy in the southern battlefield! The enemy has either surrendered or fled to their remaining cities. The central army has started to pursue and attack the western battlefield. By today, all that would remain of this war are a few cities and the noble district of the capital." Nate reported. Adam had the report spread to the other troops than to the third prince which the third prince used to bolster his own morale while attacking the enemy's own.

"Captain, why isn't the third prince going on an attack? I think the moral of the enemy is low enough to route them." asked Lewis.

"I think the prince wants the other armies to encircle the enemy troops so even when they are routed, they can only surrender. This way we can end the war for good." Adam gave his speculation. In truth, the 200,000 troops of the third prince isn't enough to encircle the enemy so he could only go for a defensive strategy.

It took another three hours but the other two armies finally arrived and completed the encirclement of enemy. The first prince didn't even try to escape as he knew his capture was inevitable. After a few more minutes, he finally ordered a surrender. He had his lay down their arms and personally waved the white flag. The third prince accepted the surrender personally. Both princes gave a few words to each other before the third prince had his troops gather the surrendered soldiers and marched on to the other strongholds of the northern re

4