Chapter 79 – Training
95 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Commander, the 5th band - 3rd squad have returned after completing the forest camouflage training." reported Captain Rudy.

"Good! Report back to your bandsman. I've already sent the next training regime to your bandsman."

It's already been a month since Adam's assignment. Adam's battalion was assigned as the scouting unit for the whole legion. General Peck planned to have Adam's individual units be loaned to the Regiments when on missions. That's the reason Adam was training his units in small-scale scouting missions. Though Adam has been sifting through field battle warfares, his superiors have assigned him to the scouting units. Adam could only slowly prove his abilities during missions.

"Sir, we've already reserved a ship for an entire month. We can start our amphibious exercises. I still don't understand why you're putting emphasis on sneaking into the docks in the dead of night. You say you want to learn field battles but you keep pouring your attention to these sneak attack tactics." Seth criticized Adam because he wants to fight in field battles as they embody the spirit of a soldier.

"The only way to climb up the ranks at the moment is through these tactics. Plus don't you think it would be funny if we're able to surprise our opponents by having a wide range of expertise. When I control more men, we'll be able to train in field tactics."

"Sir, the entire 4th band has just returned from their wall scaling training." interrupted a soldier.

"Alright, have them rest. Thank you."

"Sir, which band will be the first to undergo amphibious training?" asked Seth.

....

"That was tiring! There aren't that many swimmable waters in the Kingdom anyway, why are we doing this?" asked a soldier as he slumps back on the shore.

"Are we all here? Good! We'll wrap up soon so the next band can take their turn. All we need to do is respect and listen. Don't bother with arguing with the commander. I heard he could go toe to toe with one of the Generals in the Knight Legion. He's also known as the greenhorn eater, so you best just stay clear." said tentsman Shanks.

"Ahem, I don't know where you got your nicknames, but they make me sound like some monster. I personally came to congratulate your tent as I saw you had the best formation. It's too bad." Adam sighed in an exaggerated tone. Much to the distress of the tent. "Anyway, the prince has finally stopped pushing back his coronation. He's decided that the day his loaned troops leave next year, he'll take the throne formally. All the legions will be sending their most disciplined men to attend the ceremony as part of the army march. I planned to have one of my squads represent the battalion. It's too bad I don't see any fitting squads."

With Adam's words circulating in his battalion, all soldiers were giving it their extra efforts. It was an honor to witness the coronation. Adam could only sigh at this. "I just have to bear with this until August. I can finally see Suya again!" Adam whispered to himself.

....

"We will assemble in November to continue with training. These months of rest are well deserved. Just take advantage of the still lax military court and enjoy while we still can. Dismissed!"

"Thank you, Sir!"

Adam took advantage of the military's lax rules to give himself some break. He timed it so that Suya was also undergoing her scheduled break. Suya's unit was assigned in the old capital, Glacier City. It was only four days away by fast horse from Mansk City in the southeast, which was where Adam's unit HQ was.

As Adam entered the old capital, he witnessed the revitalization of the people. The city was in a festive mood, making it a natural hub for merchants. Adam saw an eyecatching ring which he thought would look good on Suya. Since engagement rings were not common in this world, they slipped Adam's mind. Seeing the ring now, Adam bought it with all his salary saved up.

As Adam was walking around with Seth, he happened across a kid being bullied by teenagers. Adam was about to stop the fight when he noticed the teenagers weren't even seriously beating the kid. Adam was intrigued as he watched from the sidelines. Another passerby stopped the fight but was secretly pickpocketed by both the kid and teenagers. Seeing this scene Adam smiled and decided to tail them.

They must have caught on as they started running when Adam's cover was blown. Having no choice, Adam could only give up but those kids happened to bump into Bo and Iris. Seeing street children running wild, Iris had Bo capture and carry them to her charity homes.

"Lady Iris, Big Bo! How have you guys been?" Adam called out to them.

"Master Adam! I thought you were training in the southeast?" Iris was surprised to see Adam.

"I'm on vacation, actually ..." Adam then explained the four kids scheme to the two.

The kids were shocked to be exposed so of course, they denied it. But under Bo's pressure, they confessed and asked for forgiveness. Adam wanted to have them become his underlings as they could be trained to be on-field intelligence-gathering operatives with their wits. Iris could only agree to hand them to the Dol Caravan and invited Adam to her charity house. He humbly rejected and went on to Suya's camp.

....

"How are you here? Thanks for the flowers!" Suya beamed with happiness.

"Actually this is the gift," Adam then bent down on one knee, pulled out the ring, and said, "Suya Symond, the young mistress of House Symond. The most beautiful and gentle lady I've ever met. Please do me the honor of marrying me!"

Adam's sudden unique proposal gathered a crowd of soldiers around them. The uniqueness of Adam's proposal captivated the audience, together with his words.

Suya was initially shocked but held out her hand and said, "YES!" which prompted cheers from the crowd. This new method of proposing immediately caught on in the city and eventually the Kingdom. "We were already engaged though, so what was that about?" when they were alone already Suya asked.

"I just wanted to make you a tiny bit happier. You must be tired."

4