Chapter 11: Bonding With A Vampire
231 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      There was always a span of time, when two people started dating, that Rose had come to call the ‘awkward stage’. It often accompanied that blissful honeymoon phase where sex and splendor heavily overwhelmed the relationship. Sometimes the ‘awkward stage’ occurred almost immediately after that honeymoon phase, while for others it could be held back a while farther. It really just depends on the nature of the relationship, and how well the two partners melded together. 

      Long time friends were known to encounter the awkward phase almost immediately, often it seemed to blend with the honeymoon phase. Something similar happened between Rose and Reby. The first several weeks were bizarre, to say the least. This wasn’t just due to the fact that one of them was a creature of legend. There sleep cycles were different, they had different tastes in food and entertainment, but the most significant difference was how they relaxed. 

      Rose had a particularly unique skill, one that she struggled to find in anyone else. She had the ability to simply remain still. Lounging on the beach with a book in hand was a long past time for her. She was also good at meditating, and finding ways to quiet her mind.  

      Rebecca on the other hand was a fiend by comparison. She enjoyed being active, and rarely spent a moment to collect herself. This spawned an overactive imagination, and sometimes stirred a pit of pent up anxiety. The only time she ever stopped herself was when reading a book, but other than that it was rare to ever see the young vampire sitting still.

      That was why Rose was instantly alarmed when she noticed Rebecca sitting eerily still by the window of their hotel room. She couldn’t help but be reminded of those early tumultuous weeks together, seeing her sitting so quietly…

      Their phase of anxiety had come and gone some months after they moved in together. Surviving that test requires a healthy dose of patience, a touch of forgiveness, and a lot of understanding one another. But most of all, it requires that each partner let go of their own baggage. This is the hardest thing for some people to do. Doubts wormed their way to the surface bearing fears of being hurt, or undoing one’s confidence in the relationship. 

      Living with another person is ridiculously hard; after all everyone has their own insecurities, desires, and problems. All the skeletons in your closet are dragged out into the light for your partner to see. Things that you would hide from your closest friends and family are exposed. And even the most devoted of partners try to keep things from each other…until they no longer can. 

      Rose had skeletons in her closets, but they were tame in comparison to her vampires. Rebecca had an impressive collection of ‘Heavy Metal’ records, although they hadn’t been played for some time. Finding out that her girlfriend was once a metal-head wasn’t a pleasant experience, but Rose kept that opinion to herself. Even though she was over that phase, Rebecca found it impossible to part with the past. Some of the album covers unsettled Rose as she walked past them hanging on the walls.  

      For some reason Rebecca also had a large collection of burlesque attire, and spend far too much money at the ‘Valories Secret’ store. Another humorous thing Rose found about her girlfriend was that Rebecca couldn’t stop herself from watching ‘Sisterhood Of The Traveling Skirt’ at least three times a week. Rose would often come home from work to find the movie playing on low volume, and Rebecca passed out on the couch.

      At first Rose felt nervous about revealing her own inner secrets, but after seeing some of the things Rebecca had kept hidden away, she felt slightly relieved. A bit curious perhaps, but still relieved. Rebecca was surprised, and pleased, to learn of Roses preferences in comfort wear. That being very little at all. Being single meant Rose could venture in the comfort of her home completely naked if she so desired. Rose was glad she didn’t have to change that habit. 

      Even after spending two years together, it seemed like they had gotten past that awkward stage a little too fast. There were times when it seemed to bubble back to the surface, only for it to dissipate just as quickly. Seeing Rebecca sitting silently to herself, not even humming a tune or toying with her hair, gave Rose a moment of pause. It reminded her of one of those rare times. 

      Rose had just gotten out of the shower, and still needed to blow dry her auburn hair. She wondered if it was time to change hair styles? The humidity was doing her no favors. It disheveled her curls, making it a combing nightmare. She wasn’t pleased with the hotels choice of towels either, they felt starchy against her skin. 

      At least the bed sheets are soft? Rose found herself sinking into the bed where she sat. 

      Outside, the rain had finally faded away into obscurity, giving way a curtain of vibrant sunlight once again. The glass of the windows was warm to the touch, the air conditioning rankled along the walls to combat the sudden surge of heat. 

      Across the street in the French quarter, the streets were seemingly chocked with tourists. The cracked masonry of the old buildings were beautiful to look at, but not as beautiful as the blonde creature leaning against the window. 

      “Ok, I’ll bite,” Rose adjusted herself on the mattress, “What’s wrong?” 

      At first Rebecca barely fidgeted, that’s when Rose realized how serious this was. Eventually, although it might have been all of three seconds, Rebecca exhaled a deep breath and turned around. She did her best to feign innocence, “Oh hey! Did you enjoy your shower?”

      “Totally,” Rose rubbed her shoulder. “You’ve been awfully quiet since breakfast.”

      “Hmm?” Rebecca leaned back against the wall. She was wearing a silk robe with the sash loosely tied around her waist. Rose could catch a slip of her lean stomach in the sunlight. “I was just thinking,” Rebecca started, “That maybe we should take a walk outside. I think I can see a really cool old bookstore just down the street.”

      Rose studied the vampires facial expressions, searching for any hint of what was bothering her. There was a slight quiver in the corner of her red lips, and a gentle crease on her brow. Rebecca was good at hiding what was on her mind, but she couldn’t completely hide her feelings from Rose. 

      For a brief second, Rebecca’s fingers tapped on the window sill, a subtle sign of something deeply troubling her. Rose resisted the urge to pry, there was something ominous in the vampire’s eyes.

      “We don’t want to be late for the celebrations tonight,” Rose chose to lighten up Rebecca’s spirits. Tonight the convention was going to start off with a concert hall sized Bachata dance event, followed by a Kizomba teaching special.

      “Oh we’ve got more than enough time, might as well enjoy ourselves.” Rebecca hopped up on her feet, and strode silently towards Rose. She stretched her arms back, causing the robe to part open and slip from her shoulders.

      Rose could feel her heart throbbing in her chest as the vampire offered her the cutest smile. Rays of light bounced off her golden hair as her hips swayed back and forth.

      A finger strobed over Rose’s chin, then travelled up her cheek. She tasted the vampire’s thumb grace her lips as another pair of fingers tugged at the towel wrapped around her breasts. The cool air brushed against her skin, as a pair of warm lips graced her mouth.

8