Chapter Eight/Part Two: Formation Of Revival
238 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Eight 

Part Two: The Formation Of Revival 


 Crest found himself staring out of a window of an airship. The craft was miles into the air flying over the open plains of the Evangelist Federation. The grass on rolling hills flowed like ocean waves in the wind. He exhaled loudly through his nose. The airship shook every so often due to turbulence, but it didn’t bother him much. He was entirely lost in thought; his mind was trying to process something.

He accompanied that Intrinsic as he escorted every remaining unit, in the Frontline Enclosure warehouse, to a new home. Arsyle Cosme. What was that man getting at? Crest felt as though he was being overly cynical, but it was for good measure. The Federation was surely planning to leave those in the Frontline Enclosure for dead, yet Arsyle went out of his way to get them to safety. Can an Intrinsic perform such an act and not have an ulterior motive? The sound of a hanger door rang out behind him as he sat. 

“Hmph. Well if it isn’t you.” Crest wasn’t allowed to fall deeper in his skepticism, as Arsyle himself entered the cargo hold. 

Arsyle walked up to Crest, who was seated at one of the windows within the Federation airship. He looked over at the Abyssus Unit who had yet to look his way. 

“Why’d you say that with such scorn, Crest?” Said Arsyle in a calm tone. “I came here to simply check on you as you’ve yet to sleep from yesterday.” 

Crest paused for a moment. His eyes remained glued to the outside of the vehicle of flight, and out into the open sky beyond. “I can no longer sleep, even if I tried. So your concern is unnecessary.”

Arsyle narrowed his eyes as he looked upon the Abyssus Unit before him. The former Captain of the Omega Squad, one of the largest Abyssus Unit squads in the entire Federation. Reduced to one man. “What really happened that day? How did you live through it?” He asked bluntly.

Crest slowly turned to the Intrinsic. His cold gaze fixed on the curious golden haired man. His piercing dark grey eyes locked with Arsyle’s. “What the hell do you get out of asking questions like that huh?”

Arsyle lifted an eyebrow. “I may be overthinking this, as I tend to be a tad over analytical, but it’s hard to believe that 99 units fell to one Abyssiti, and only you survived. Unless it was by pure luck.”

Crest recalled the look he saw on his subordinates face that day. The fear imbedded into Scout’s face as she pushed him out of harm's way. The sight of her being crushed by the Abyssiti before his very eyes was burned into his retinas. He couldn’t sleep, as that moment played over and over in his mind; it was eating away at his very soul like a pack of wild dogs. All he could do was call out to Scout in her final moments. He survived because she died for him. Crest stared at his clenched fist as his hand trembled. Why was he the only one that survived? It surely wasn't luck. If it was luck, he would have died with them that day. He was gritting his teeth. 

“I only survived because everyone else around me didn’t- if I have to live in a world like that…I want no part of it any longer.”

There was a long pause between the two. “I see.” Muttered Arsyle finally. He arched an eyebrow as he watched Crest; he looked as though he was reliving the moment in real time. It was a traumatic experience no doubt, and talking about it wouldn’t be an easy feat. Perhaps it was cruel for him to ask Crest to recall it. Perhaps.

Soon the airship was flying over buildings and streets amidst its deafening turbines. It came in over a spot of the port of the Southern Enclosure and slowly deployed its landing gear. Everyone on board felt the airship land, as the doors to the Federation aircraft slowly opened filling the cargo hold with light. A metal ramp extended out into the Southern Enclosure. Arsyle immediately looked up when his face felt the warm sunlight. Crest rose out of his seat, and met Arsyle at eye level; they exchanged looks. All Arsyle could see was a broken man staring back at him. 

“We should go ahead… Intrinsic Sir.” He began to make his way down the ramp. “There is no need to waste time, right?”

Arsyle nodded his head. “Of course.” 

The two exited the airship, and to Crest’s surprise, there was a team of people waiting for them at the bottom of the ramp. Crest steadied his pace as he was unsure of why they were standing there. All five Abyssus Units saluted as Arsyle approached. 

Arsyle looked upon the team before him with a gleam in his eye. “Ah. The Delta Squad in the flesh. Thank you for coming.” 

Crest glanced at each of the units with judgment. A guy with crimson red eyes stood as lead, his slim build seemed more of that of royalty than a soldier, but his appearance didn’t fool Crest. He could see it. It was written all over his face; that he's seen the true horrors of this world. 

“666-K, the Captain of one of the most talented Squads in the Federation; you’re truly as tough as nails,” Arsyle looked over at Glitch, who was giving him a wild eyed grin. While her glasses sat crookedly on her face. “456-G. A true anomaly; the only unit I’ve heard of that’s thrilled to face the creature from beyond our realm.” 

Glitch adjusted her glasses and chuckled to herself. 

“When put into a terrible situation, I try to make the best of it Intrinsic Sir!”

“All of us in the Delta Squad do our best to stay alive.” Declared Trauma firmly; his deep red eyes briefly locked with Glitch’s. Her eyebrows rapidly and repeatedly went up and down.

Arsyle smiled at the Captain's claim. He found the irony of what he said quite entertaining. 

“Unfortunately, when you are the best in the combat field, the Federation rewards you by putting you into more danger.” He added with a chuckle, shaking his head dismissively. 

“I’m afraid there is not a way to avoid this reality. However I have called you here to offer you…a change of pace.” Arsyle gestured toward Crest. “This is 732-C, his name is Crest. He was the former Captain of the Omega Squad with 17 confirmed Abyssiti kills.”

Glitch perked up when she heard that name. Her wide black pupils slowly glided from Arsyle, to Crest. 

“You’re Captain Crest?” She asked briskly. 

Crest looked at the unit, it was like she was trying to tear him apart with her eyes. He gave her a look of concern, but he kept his composure despite being incredibly uncomfortable. 

“You heard the Intrinsic.” He said while nodding his head toward Arsyle. 

It took a moment for it to process in her head, but once she did Glitch began to hyperventilate. “W-what- you’re THE Captain Crest! We’ve heard great things about you! You’re famous among Abyssus Units like us!” She exclaimed ecstatically. Her eyes twinkled like she was staring at some supermodel, and in her own head, she was.

“Glitch ma’am please calm down- the Intrinsic isn’t done speaking.” Said Razor nervously into his superior's ear, in a hushed tone.

Crest didn’t say a word, and just blankly stared at the eccentric individual. She began to excitedly bounce up and down next to Trauma, who calmly placed his hand on Glitch’s shoulder to hold her still.

Arsyle lightly chuckled. “Now. Now, no need to calm down. I’m not a monster. I can understand why you are excited to meet a specimen such as him.” 

Arsyle seemed quite entertained by Crest’s awkwardness in this situation. The way he was standing was like he’d completely tensed up, and although his face was blank, it still seemed to be screaming for an out. He gestured to the former Captain like he was presenting a rare animal in captivity. 

“Crest here, is a part of a classified project, and he needs a new team to accompany him. His squad will be protecting special units while they are out on the field. You won’t be fighting Abyssiti per say…but it’s precautionary.” He began. 

“But most importantly you will be mentoring the new Units of this classified project; who better to train the inexperienced than the best Abyssus Unit and the Delta Squad?”

“We’ll do it.” Without hesitation Trauma spoke up. He could ask questions, but to him that would be more trouble than it’s worth. The quick response shocked the Intrinsic, but only for a spell. 

The rest of his team seemed content with his hasty choice. Arsyle sighed and shook his head, almost like he was dissatisfied. He didn’t have to do much convincing; almost like he wasn’t asking them to join. It was like he was telling them to join. 

“Wonderful. Well I need to know the team of three that will join Crest in his new Squad, and who will mentor the new Units.”

Crest thought for a moment. He personally would never have parts of his squad thrown into a “classified project” that he knew nothing about. But Trauma seemed unbothered by that fact. 

Glitch was slowly about to raise her hand to volunteer herself, but Trauma put her hand back down.

“Patch, Razor and Idol will join your new Squad, Intrinsic sir. I trust them with my very life, and I can tell you that they are some of the toughest people I know.” He declared confidently. 

Glitch’s big grin faded as she heard what her Captain said. “I couldn’t help but see you didn’t mention my name!” She wanted to shout, but she resisted the urge. Instead her entire body slumped over like she lost the will to live almost in an instant. He saw the look that Glitch was giving him in the corner of his eyes. 

“Glitch and I are the most experienced fighters out of the Delta Squad. I suggest we mentor these “Special Units.” If that’s okay Intrinsic Arsyle Cosme.” Continued Trauma.

Arsyle thought for a moment, his brain racing to find any discrepancies or issues in that method. If Trauma and Glitch are the most talented, it would make the most sense to assign them to Crest. However, on the other hand- to have them be the ones to mentor the children, they would guide them into being better units. Much like the remainder of the Delta Squad. 

“I see no issue with your proposition, Captain.” His calm cloudy grey eyes gazed at Patch, Razor and Idol. “I will take your word that they are talented individuals.” 

Glitch pouted as she realized she wasn’t going to be able to work up close and personal with her Abyssus Unit hero. Arsyle then reached into his pocket and pulled out his notebook and pen. He very peacefully flipped to an empty page in his book and began to furiously write; they all watched as he scribbled away at inhuman speeds. Crest looked over at the Intrinsic, it was like Arsyle completely forgot he was surrounded by people.

“Uhm, Intrinsic Arsyle Cosme sir?”

One of the Delta Squad member finally spoke up. It was Patch. “Are you…okay?” She muttered while pressing her fingers together.

Arsyle didn’t respond and continued to write in silence until suddenly, he clapped his notebook shut. It startled Patch, as she flinched at the noise. Arsyle took a moment to look up at the group; his curly golden hair blew in the wind from the breeze.

“Well then. As of right now, you are no longer the Delta Squad,” he stated with a grin on his face. “You all shall be referred to as The Revival Squad.”

5