Chapter Ten/Part One: The World He Lived In
233 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Ten 

Part One: The World He Lived In


 Cephyr Orion was staring directly in a mirror. The reflection he saw staring back at him was a much younger version of himself. His green eyes were bright; filled with the childlike wonder of a kid his age. He touched his golden frizzled hair as his eyes remained locked on himself in the reflection. 

“Oh right…” He remembered what he was doing there. He was in his bedroom at his parents house. Cephyr just made it back from school from earlier that day. 

A door slowly opened allowing light to flood his dimly lit bedroom. His room door creaked all the way open to reveal his Mother and Father. They were looking at young Cephyr as if he committed some sort of heinous crime; their eyes were full of contempt. They looked down on the 10 year old in silence. His father, Olynne Orion, was a fairly tall, slender man with straight golden hair neatly parted down the middle, with a thin beard, and yellow eyes. He wore a blue suit with a black vest and a white shirt, paired with a plain bow tie. 

Cephyr looked up at his parents. He’s never had a reason to fear them before, but the look they were giving him made him feel uneasy. “Dad?…Mom?”

His father collapsed onto his knees in front of Cephyr; he placed both of his hands into his shoulders. His fathers grip was like he was resisting the urge to entirely crush him. Cephyr’s dad looked up at his son, his face was disgruntled.

“We heard what you said in school today, Cephyr.” Began his father. 

Cephyr paused as he frighteningly stared into his eyes; they showed a mixture of disappointment and anger. “I- I didn’t mean to-”

“Never advocate for those humans again, do you hear me?! Never show those filthy creatures empathy, Cephyr! Never!” His father began to shake him aggressively; he spoke through his clenched teeth.

Cephyr was at the brink of tears, his father was showing no signs of being reserved. Was what he said in class that bad? He felt that the Humans in the Restoration project should be treated as people. Was it wrong to think that? They were people as far as he knew. 

His mother, Yasmin Orion, stood over Cephyr and placed her hand on his head. She has long golden hair like all of the intrinsic, however her hair came off more blonde than anything else. Still in his father’s clutches Cephyr glanced up at his mother’s heart-shaped face, hoping for some refuge. However her large blue eyes were giving him the same disgraceful look.

“Your Father and I love you very much, and we’re telling you that as the Successor of the Orion Family, you can’t think like that.” Muttered the mother.

She was speaking as if he said something incredibly wrong, both of his parents were. Cephyr thought for a moment. He couldn’t process it, his parents have always told him to respect every life. 

“But..Mom, I was just saying what...you two told me to do…” began Cephyr nervously. His voice was shaky. “You’ve told me to respect every life-”

 His fathers pupils immediately dilated. “THEIR LIVES AREN'T WORTH RESPECTING CEPHYR!” Shouted his father. Cephyr flinched as his fathers eyes pierced into his soul. 

Both of his parents began to ramble over each other as they tried to address the 10 year old. It was all too much for Cephyr to handle. 

“You're our son, and you’ll grow up to become the leader of the 5th Core just like your father,” Began his mom. “Your responsibilities are for your people, the Intrinsic. You don’t have time to be worried about such insignificant things.”

“You embarrassed us! Having you saying things like that in public makes us look bad! Who gives a damn how you feel about the Human Restoration Project?!” Barked his father, while his wife was speaking. “It hasn’t changed for the past 160 years and it won’t change now!”

A single tear fell down Cephyr’s cheek as he rapidly nodded his head to his parents' barrage. He was in the wrong. He had to have been, to make his parents this angry. 

He jolted out of his sleep in a cold sweat. Cephyr looked around the room to see he was in his penthouse estate in the center of the 5th Core. He put his hands to his head, disconcerted. He didn’t want to remember that day, but it always flooded back to him no matter how hard he tried to flush it away.

“Ngh. Dammit all..” He grumbled to himself as he ran his fingers through his messy bed hair. 

 It was morning, he managed to sleep the entire night away in what seemed like a flash. Cephyr stared out of the giant window adjacent to his royal bed; he could see the entire city of 5th Core from there. His gaze is hindered however by the sound of his sleeping chamber doors being opened. Startled, he quickly turned to see who entered. Five Intrinsic, dressed in tuxedos and maid attire, walk up to Cephyr as he lies in his bed. 

“Good Morning, Sir Cephyr Orion.” Began one of the Maids with a smile. “Are you ready to start your day?” 

Cephyr blankly stared at his staff for a moment, for some reason it didn’t click in his head that he was fully awake yet. “Oh, right, right of course. Let me get out of bed.” He mumbled awkwardly. 

Another Intrinsic maiden brought him his house shoes before he could even step foot out of his bed. Cephyr effortlessly slipped his feet into his fluffy white shoes. As he got off his bed, the two men in tuxedos began to fold his sheets and blankets neatly. Two of the maids bowed to Cephyr as he stood up and the other took him by his arm and guided him to the door. 

“Have a swell day Cephyr Orion!” Said the maids in unison; their tone was full of cheer.

He waved at his servants as he walked out of his room. Despite them being Intrinsic like him, they still worked as his personal butlers and maids. Cephyr was the head of a Core, which means he has a higher standing than the average Intrinsic individual. 

Cephyr began walking down a long, carpeted hallway of blue, white and grey. Protruding columns from the walls were decorated with golden sconces and lights. Nature paintings were hung in an alternating pattern between the columns. There was also the occasional cushioned chair or round coffee table placed along the walls.

He continues to walk down a wide stairway with curving balconies on either side above it. Behind Cephyr, a line of arched windows lets in the sun, casting his shadow onto the grey-carpeted steps in front of him. The floor at the bottom of the stairs his Secretary, Emeryn Vice, was waiting; she was holding a clipboard sized slate in her hand. 

“Morning Sir Cephyr Orion. Did you sleep well?” She greeted as her superior came down the elegant steps. She still had her hair into a bun, but she wasn’t wearing her glasses this time around.

Cephyr thought for a moment. “It was good enough for me, best sleep I’ve had in a while!” he chuckled. He was lying through his teeth. “Tell me Vice, how busy of a day do we have here?”

Cephyr began to walk again, he was headed towards the kitchen of his estate. Emeryn trailed behind him as she looked down at her Slate. 

“I did as you asked and the Aerodos Family have been compensated for the loss of Dahlis Aerodos.” She informed as she attempted to keep up with Cephyr’s walking speed. 

“Also, today is your meeting with the Melgrave family in the First Core.” 

If Cephyr had water in his mouth, he would’ve surely spat it out just then. That completely slipped his mind, he and the other Core members had an audience with the lead family of the entire Evangelist Federation. He stopped in his tracks and faced his Secretary.

“Seriously?! Nyah! What time is it? I’m still in my sleeping robes!” He cried out frantically.

Emeryn sighed at Cephyr’s antics. “Don’t worry Sir, I have already set up your train ride to the First Core, and your bodyguard 893-M is waiting for you outside.” 

“893-M?” He thought for a moment. “ Ah, you mean Mortar.” 

Emeryn lifted an eyebrow. “Oh. So you took the time to learn its name?” 

“Well yes, at least that’s what he calls himself…” Responded Cephyr causally.

He’s had the same bodyguard assigned to him since he was an adolescent. Although he was a Unit from the Enclosures, Cephyr wasn’t allowed to leave his city alone, without him. The Intrinsic ran his fingers through his messy golden hair and then turned to Emeryn. He had to prepare himself to meet the Melgrave family, and he hadn’t a moment to waste.

“I must get ready now, thank you for the reminder.” He gave her a warm smile and continued on his way down the hall. 

“Don’t miss that train Sir! I swear!” Shouted Emeryn as he walked away.

Cephyr dismissively waved his hand and chuckled. “You worry too much, Vice.” He turned to the Secretary and gave her a grin. “What are the odds I’ll miss a train you’ve arranged for me, twice? 

5