Chapter Eleven/Part One: Twisted Liberation
203 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Eleven

Part One: Twisted Liberation

 

 Cephyr walked outside, fully dressed in his regal Intrinsic attire. He stepped out the giant front doors of his estate and was greeted with a familiar face; a middle aged looking man stood before him, armed with a rifle which was placed at his side. On his bulletproof vest was the emblem of the Restoration Project.

“Mortar! Good morning to you, fine day isn’t it?” Waved Cephyr at the unit, but only with one hand as he was carrying a small box in the other.

The unit looked up at the sky with his large downward-sloped light hazel eyes. He wouldn’t describe this as a “fine day.” The sky was filled with gloomy clouds, the sun could barely break through them. In addition to the overcast it was extremely humid.

“Mmm…I would say it looks like it’s about to rain, more than anything.” Responded Mortar nonchalantly. 

“Ahh, whatever.” Cephyr sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. “Shall we get going? I have a train to catch.”

Mortar nodded at his superior and began to walk down the path towards the crowded city of the 5th Core. However, Cephyr didn’t follow behind; the Intrinsic found himself frozen in his tracks. 

“Maybe, we should go the back way, to the train station.” Began Cephyr, he didn’t sound the most confident, it was like he was afraid of something. 

Mortar slowly turned around. His face was chilsted and stern, but Cephyr wasn’t intimidated, he’s dealt with 893-M for years. While others may feel threatened by his buff build and stone cold glare, Cephyr just sees him as a companion.

“We can avoid most of the commotion downtown that way, you know how my fellow Intrinsic would react if they saw a human walking the streets.” Suggested Cephyr awkwardly. 

They both knew it well. Bodyguard or not, there is no salvation for the units in the Human Restoration Project in this world. If the citizens of the 5th Core saw Mortar roaming about their prestigious city, who knows what they’ll do to him. It would surely cause a scene. Cephyr gave Mortar a faint smile, to which he didn’t respond. He adjusted the rifle strapped to his side and changed directions, back towards Cephyr. 

“If we’re going the back way again, we need to hurry.” He sighed heavily.

Cephyr nodded while gripping the small box that was in his hand. “Correct. Let's get going.”

They both trekked through the alleyways of towering buildings with Mortar in the lead, as Cephyr followed closely behind. The way the pair were walking, was like they made this journey countless times, each corner they turned was full of certainty. 

“I wish you wouldn’t have to live like this.” Started the Intrinsic in a mellow tone. “To be forced into the role of servitude…and be despised for it.” 

The sky above was full of dark and ragged clouds, the grey morning sky threatened rain. The two walked adjacent to a canal filled with calm, clear waters, it was an aqueduct. They were practically alone; far from any major roads that the Intrinsic would be on. 

“It’s fine. Like I said, it isn’t your fault, you were just born into it.” Mumbled Mortar, in an unenthused tone, as if apathetic to his living conditions. He’s been watching over Cephyr for the past 11 years. He knows deep down Cephyr has always had a soft spot for units like him, he views them as people even if he is told he mustn’t. Mortar feared that his inner conflict would inevitably be his downfall.

The two continued their way through an open path lined with fancy light posts, which were still shining bright due to the overcast. The entire horizon however, was gone, as the 200 meter border walls of the Core stretched high into the sky. 

“I wish…” Cephyr’s eyes were glued onto the pavement as they walked. His green pupils had a desperate look to them; they were silently crying out for help.

Cephyr thought about the council meeting he had days before in the Courthouse. The way his fellow Intrinsic were so quick on disposing of the Human Restoration Project was appalling. Countless people, used as human shields, protecting individuals that would condemn them to death in an instant. “Maybe they should be eradicated, as death may be the only freedom they’ll have in the Evangelist Federation.” Pondered Cephyr to himself. A bead of sweat dripped down his face. The thought shook him to his core. Was that really what he meant? What was he thinking? “I wish I could free all of you from this hell. If only you all vanished from this world that we created.” Thought Cephyr as he looked up at his bodyguard, all he could see was the back of his head, and his short shaggy light grey hair. 

He supposed it was what he meant. 

“We’re almost there, sir.” Stated Mortar while pointing to the top of the walls, and on top it, was the Evangelist train station. 

They reached the train station, and there wasn’t a person in sight, to no one's surprise. The area was practically empty. The silence at the train station was usual, since the Intrinsic have no need to travel between the other 7 Cores. 

The railway was woven into the steel plated walls; reaching into the clouded sky over the vast land. The train made a low, thunderous noise a mile away, but as it got closer you could hear the rhythm clunk of each car as it grinds above the tracks. The railway’s vibrations got softer as the train came to a gradual stop. 

“Shall we?” Said Mortar as the Federation Train’s doors slid open. He hopped into one of the train cars; he doubled back to extend his hand out to Cephyr. 

To which he hesitated a bit, clutching the box in his hand close to his chest. Once he boarded this train, there was no turning back until he was in the presence of the Melgrave family. 

“Yes we shall.” Cephyr exhaled and took his bodyguard’s hand. “My Secretary would be furious if I missed another train.” 

Cephyr and Mortar got settled inside of the train, which didn’t take long as all the seats inside of the cars were empty. Cephyr sat down on a random seat and beckoned Mortar to join him. Mortar, still with a stone cold expression on his face, walked over to his superior. He didn’t sit down however, he just stood beside him whilst adjusting his rifle. Then, with a loud hum, the train began to move on its way to the 1st core. Cephyr looked up at Mortar, as he was paying him no mind. Any normal person would assume he hated him, but Cephyr knew that’s just how he was.

“Here-” he extended his hand pushing a small box into Mortar’s side- “I know you don’t have access to these in the Enclosures. So I got you one.”

Mortar was caught off guard, but only for a moment.

He lifted an eyebrow and wearily took the square box from Cephyr. The Unit looked up at Cephyr, who was giving him constant nods of approval, egging him on to open it. Mortar cautiously opened the box revealing a single desert, a glazed cake. An Intrinsic exclusive. 

 Meanwhile in the heart of the 5th Core, Soleria found herself standing in front of a relatively grandiose building. With marble white arches lining every window. It wasn’t as pretentious as the 5th Core Courthouse however. She hesitated a bit, but as Arsyle told her, she needed to study up on the position she was in. That was top priority, and the Data Center was her destination. She sharply took a breath and stopped. 

“If I’m not mistaken…someone I know used to work here.” Soleria looked up at the fascia of the Federation building. “Though I doubt she's still here…”

Soleria walked up the stairs and into the Data center before her. It was a Library, with glass-fronted bookshelves and gothic panels, stretching to the ceiling. In the back of the room was a marble desk where a single Intrinsic stood. They were reading a book at their table, not paying any mind to their surroundings. 

Soleria took a few steps into the Data center before the lady at the desk noticed she was there. The girl looked up to see Soleria dressed in the regal outfit of a council member standing before her.

“Oh- Ah! Hello, Good Morning. How may I be of assistance, Councilwoman?” Greeted the lady awkwardly as she slammed her book shut. 

She has cheek length platinum gold hair and brown eyes. She wears a small framed pair of glasses held on by bands placed around her head. 

“Hello! I’m looking for some very specific information, and I was told to talk to the person at the front desk.” Began Soleria, her voice full of cheer. 

The girl stared dumbfoundedly at Soleria. For quite some time actually, you’d think she was looking into her soul. She gazed at Soleria’s long wavy golden hair and her shimmering golden eyes, along with her round innocent face. 

There was a sudden glimmer of recognition in her eye. She then asked in a non confident manner. 

“Soleria…Illow? Is that you?” 

Soleria was shocked by the fact she knew her name, she locked eyes with the desk lady’s and it soon became apparent why. That tone of voice and that look she was giving, it hit her like a ton of bricks.

“Samyer Felise!” Exclaimed Soleria. “You still work here?” 

Samyer looked somewhat offended by that question. “Still?” She scoffed. “I never got the chance to leave, unlike you, I didn’t get free from it.”

“Well Sam, it’s not like I haven’t wanted to visit you, I just wasn’t sure if you were still working here. Honestly, I’m quite surprised you stuck around.” said Soleria with a warm smile.

Samyer forced a smile. “Well you see that I am.” She responded as she gestured to the area around her. 

Her smile quickly faded as her nose crinkled. 

“The hell are you even doing here out of all places?” She said while walking around the desk. “I know it wasn’t just to come see me after all these years.” 

“I was wondering if you had information on Observers, oh and The Abyssiti as well…” Soleria briefly pondered for a moment. “And anything you have on the Human Restoration Project.”

Samyer nibbled on her bottom lip as she thought. “Mmm, not in the library. A few years ago some higher ups in the Council told us to scrap all the information on those things.” 

Soleria’s eyes widened. “No- are you serious?” She could feel herself getting frustrated. How the hell was she supposed to become an Observer if there was no one to guide her, and no information to learn from.

“Why would they do that? Why order valuable information like that to be tossed out?!” Snapped Soleria. Although she was angry, her face wasn’t used to frowning, so it came off as more of a pout.

Samyer stared blankly at Soleria’s antics and scratched the back of her ear. “Hey Illow, I wasn’t done.” She grumbled.

The librarian walked over to a door at the back of the large room just a few steps away from the front desk. 

Then Samyer looked back at Soleria as she stood pensively.

“By “not in the library” I mean it’s not on the shelves…” she began while pointing to the countless bookcases filled to the brim with information.

“Although I was ordered to dispose of all those topics, I didn’t. I just stored them away in the back room; they just sit back there and collect dust now.”

Soleria’s scrunched up face almost immediately brightened up upon hearing that. She rushed over to Samyer with a twinkle in her eye and a happy grin. 

She put her hands on her shoulders; Samyer chuckled awkwardly. Soleria was thrilled to hear that there might be a chance. “Really?! Did you really keep all of it? Seriously?” 

With a heavy eye roll Samyer nodded her head. “Of course I did, I wouldn’t dare throw away knowledge. You should know me better than that-” 

“Oh my gosh Sam, you’re a lifesaver!” Soleria thanked while eagerly shaking her old friend back and forth. 

“If you want to thank me, invite me to dinner! You have a good luxury life, right? Since you’re a council woman now.” She responded as she calmly swept Soleria’s hands off of her. 

“And don’t get too excited. I have no clue where in the back room it is, and it won’t be fun to look for it either.” She muttered, sounding less than enthused. 

“What…does that mean?” Soleria asked nervously. 

Samyer turned to face Soleria, her glasses reflected the very little light that was coming through the windows. Her glasses glistened white. “I hope you like dust.”

5