Chapter Twelve/Part One: Brief Confrontation
134 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Twelve

Part One: Brief Confrontation


 Outside of the Federation Walls, far South West, countless elongated buildings stood surrounded by metal fencing; they were all compact together in rows. It was the Base Rim Enclosure. The Sun shone over the dirt paths of the barracks with the low resonance of nearby trees swaying in the light breeze. A single Unit was standing at attention out in the open lot, he was shivering; he’d lost the ability to close his hands long ago. He could feel a swirl of anxiety, fear and disgust swelling in his chest, as though he would puke at any moment. Then the sound of a single gunshot rang out, and soon after there was a blood splatter on the target board. The Unit’s gaze quickly turned away from the shooting range. He refused to look over as blood dripped down into the adjacent rain gutters. After that shot, it was nothing but a deafening silence. So silent he could almost hear his own heart pounding. It was barbaric, beyond cruel. Sickening. 

“724-W, I am done with my daily target practice.” Began a voice beside the Unit. The voice sounded oddly smooth and relaxed, despite the horrid act that was just commited. 

A tall and fairly built young man with short, loosely hanging deep gold hair rose from his kneeling position with a rifle in hand. He had the attire of an Intrinsic, but his outfit included a long dark-grey cloak trailing behind him. The Unit looked at the Intrinsic with crippling fear, he was finding it hard to stand.

“I-I…” shuddered the Unit while looking over at the atrocity before him.

What used to be a silver metal wall used to deflect bullets was now stained red. The concrete below was lathered in blood and torn cloth, all from corpses of the unfortunate few. The final standing person slumped over with muffled agony, joining the rest of the slaughtered Units on the ground. The Intrinsic turned to face 734-W. He had sharp, dangerous looking eyes accompanied by a mask, covering his nose and mouth, that matched his cape in color. 

“I said I was done. Did you not hear me?” Grumbled the Intrinsic as he roughly shoved the rifle into 734-W’s stomach. 

“Take this plasma Rifle— put it up, and then call me a flight back to the 5th Core when you’re done.” 

“Y-yes, right away Intrinsic Lyre Francis.” Responded 734-W, quaveringly. His hands were shaking profusely. 

The Unit nervously took the weapon from his superior. The mask upon his face only amplified his murderous black eyes. He just witnessed him gun down 7 of his fellow Units, all for “Target Practice.” The way he pulled the trigger each time without a care in the world, it was so sickening he was getting dizzy. He treated them like they were wild animals, lining them up for execution for nothing more than sport. 734-W gripped the Rifle’s trigger as the Intrinsic turned away. A bead of sweat dripped down his face, mustering all of his courage he could. 734-W looked up as he watched Lyre’s cape sway with each step he took. It might’ve not been him getting shot today, but there was no guarantee it wouldn’t be him tomorrow; to be ordered to stand at attention while an Intrinsic aims a rifle at his head.

The grip on the weapon loosened as he looked down at his feet. “Dammit.” He exhaled in a defeated tone. 

 Back at the Data center within the 5th Core, Samyer and Soleria found themselves in the back room of the Library. It was dingy and dark, wall to wall with containers and shelves. Each shelf was full to the brim with dusty books and decrepit cardboard boxes. 

“Why are you doing this Soleria?” Muttered Samyer in the background.

Soleria was on her knees digging through old files from a box. She had her hair tied up in a ponytail so it wouldn’t be dragging behind her. 

“I’ve recently gained the position of being an Observer for the Human Restoration Project.” She responded brightly while reading over the document in her hands.

Samyer sighed. “Better question, why am I doing this?”

The librarian scratched the back of her ear, “Dinner isn’t enough. You’d better have dessert as well, or it’s not worth it.” 

Soleria stacked a hand full of papers and placed them back onto the shelf. They’ve been searching for about an hour and have found zero signs of those documents. Unlike Samyer, Soleria wasn’t going to give up until she was positive those files weren’t there. 

“How’d you end up as an Observer anyways? When did you start caring about Units?” Asked Sam, her voice full of skepticism. 

“I volunteered, Why does it matter?” Responded the Intrinsic as she pulled out an old map of the Federation territory. It displayed the set up of the walls and its relation to each of the 7 Cores. 

Samyer was just aimlessly wandering the back room at this point. Occasionally looking into boxes. “Just cuz you volunteered…doesn't that mean you care you know?” 

Soleria paused at that statement. “That’s…” She fell silent for a brief moment. Samyer looked up at the top shelf and saw another box and lifted an eyebrow.

“That’s not important right now, Sam.” Mumbled Soleria as she pulled out a roll of some cloth. It unraveled to reveal a dusty flag of the Evangelists. 

Samyer meanwhile, was on her tippy toes trying to reach the box on the top shelf. She was a rather short woman with a small but secure build. 

“You really shouldn’t be putting in the effort if you’re not fully invested.” She grunted as she stretched; her hand tapped the side of the box.

She tipped it over so it could fall down, and when it hit the tiled floor, a plum of dust bursted out. Startled, Soleria turned to her old friend. 

“Sam! Are you okay?” She cried out. Samyer turned to her with her glasses covered in dust and gave her a thumbs up. 

“Yeah,” Samyer picked up the box and handed it to Soleria. “Check this one, it was calling out to me.”

Soleria cautiously took the box from Sam’s hands and looked inside. It was filled with binders, notebooks and textbooks. She pulled out one of the books and read the title. “The Human Restoration Project, By: Hyde F. Cyndale.” This was it.

“You actually found it! Now I can pull an all-nighter, Then i’ll be ready to guide them during training tomorrow!” Cheered Soleria with a big grin on her face.

Samyer on the other hand seemed less than enthused. She calmly cleaned the layer of dust off of her glasses, with her shirt.

“I’ll see you at dinner,” she stated.

 Meanwhile Arsyle was walking down the hallways of the 5th Core Courthouse. He cautiously approached a door and typed in a three digit code into its keypad. The door slowly slid open with a hiss. The intrinsic looked up and down the hall, as if he hoped no one saw him, or better yet, hoping he wasn’t being followed. Once he knew the coast was clear he entered the room; it was was dark, only being faintly lit up by a single desk lamp. It was the same location that Soleria told him about her whole conundrum, in the basement of the Courthouse, it was Arsyle’s personal laboratory. Just like before, papers and notebooks were sprawled out with seemingly no signs of order. Arsyle reached into his pocket and pulled out the notebook he's been writing for the past few days. He carelessly tossed it onto a counter, which already had layers of clutter upon it. Although he was lost in thought he could hear footsteps approaching his lab doors. 

“Your laboratory is a putrid mess. Wouldn't you say that a computer file would be far more manageable?” Grumbled a voice over Arsyle’s shoulder. 

Instead of looking behind him he looked up at the ceiling and sighed, still keeping his back to whoever entered the room. 

“I know you didn’t come all this way just to insult my laboratory’s conditions…” Arsyle glanced back down at his desk at an open notebook. His cloudy eyes seemed devoid of any form of emotion. 

“What is it that you need Lyre Francis?” 

There, behind him, stood an Intrinsic with loosely hanging hair, far darker than Arsyle’s. Lyre Francis was standing in the door frame with an intense piercing glare in his eyes.

“As your Co-worker I just wanted to check up on your progress on the “project.” The masked individual began. “Have you made any new discoveries? Any new revelations?”

“Is it…possible?” He asked lastly, with a tone far more serious than before.

Arsyle didn’t respond. He stayed silent as he started to organize papers on the desk before him. Once again paying the Intrinsic zero mind. Lyre took heavy steps into the lab, the doors slid closed behind him, drowning the lab into darkness once more.

“Arsyle. If it is possible it may be the only salvation for this Nation-” 

Arsyle finally turned around to face Lyre. For several moments the two stood in silence. 

“I’m aware of its importance... However, I’ve been busy handling other situations.” Responded Arsyle calmly.

“Despite what you may believe, this project needs to be handled with the utmost care, getting results takes time and shouldn’t be rushed.”

Lyre scoffed. “You say that it takes time, yet you’ve done nothing but run around doing pointless errands for someone else.” 

“It was you wasn’t it. Moving those Units in the Frontline Enclosure to the Desolate… wasting your god damn time.” 

Arsyle made a face at that statement, though subtle, it was the face of annoyance. To him, Lyre was nothing more than what he said. He was merely a co-worker. They both spear head the Science Department; their goal is to insure the survival of the Evangelist Federation through technological discoveries. Although Arsyle is more traditional in his methods; Lyre takes a more direct approach. 

“I see you’re still as insufferable as normal.” He said with a light chuckle. 

“Tch. You have some real nerve Cosme-” Lyre snapped, clenching his fists. However Arsyle calmly put his fingers to his lips. 

“As a fellow “Co-worker” Lyre, you should refrain from pestering your peers.” Arsyle picked up a paper on his desk and began to casually read it, as if he already dismissed Lyre from the room. 

“Once I begin Project Vexus, I won’t stop until I’ve uncovered every little detail. I am quite thorough after all.” He declared, being as tranquil as usual. To which Lyre didn’t even blink at the comment.

Lyre heavily exhaled, and turned to leave the laboratory. His dark grey cape trailed behind him. 

“If you don’t get results sooner or later, I’ll take over the project… and I’ll discover the secrets of the Abyssiti my way.” Ended Lyre Francis with a voice filled with ill intent as he left the room. 

5